Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I was in Tesco Oranmore this afternoon. I found it good. People mostly good with the social distancing. And they were cleaning down the self service tills after every user which was great. And cleaning baskets immediately.

I was in Aldi in Oranmore and many people were wearing gloves but I didn't notice any yellow markers on the floor marking distance at the tills. I think there was a sign at the till to keep distance but by then people were pretty close to each other.

There was a controlled queue to get into Dunnes Tirellan. I noticed a sanitiser and gloves on the way out only on a small table in a corner. If it had been more prominent upon entrance I would have used same. It looked like all tills were open. Floors marked off. Service great. No madness. All calm. Got everything I wanted except Bovril.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

While scary, it might help to drive home the seriousness of this situation.

Curious to know what the missing picture No. 6 is of, if it exists?

I took many photos,edited it down to 15 and then decided not to upload all. I still thought it was too many so only posted some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

bobbyss wrote: »
    There was a controlled queue to get into Dunnes Tirellan. I noticed a sanitiser and gloves on the way out only on a small table in a corner. If it had been more prominent upon entrance I would have used same. It looked like all tills were open. Floors marked off. Service great. No madness. All calm. Got everything I wanted except Bovril.

Dunnes doing a great job in Knocknacarra too. Max 100 in the shop at a time, one in, one out. About 25 min queue to get in, stretched out with 2m+ between everyone and a staff member reminding about the spacing every so often. Hand sanitiser and gloves available when you enter and wipes and spray for trolley handles. Bin for the gloves on the way out and more sanitiser. Space around the cashiers marked out.

Well done Dunnes.

We tried Supervalu in Barna first but looked manic just driving past the door and looking in... drove on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

dmc17 wrote:
    Think there's a drive through set up in Renmore, probably UHG also, talks of navy ship setting up in docks. Best thing is to ring and they'll let you know the best for your particular situation/case.

Renmore where? Drive through with no GP referral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Galway company launches new anti-virus spray cleaner this weekend.
    Smells of a snake oil. And overpriced.

No bleach or alcohol? Works in 5 minutes?

Alcohol dissolves viruses pretty instantly AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

McGiver wrote: »

There is nowhere in the country that you can just arrive to without a referral. You must be referred by your GP to get a test.

The test centre if referred to in Renmore is the community centre in Renmore

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Galway company launches new anti-virus spray cleaner this weekend.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-company-launches-new-anti-virus-spray-cleaner-this-weekend/

McGaughs Garden Centre have any amount of it but it will not be in Woodies until tomorrow.

-

Sound like someone hoping to make money. Any normal multi surface cleaner is sufficient. We don't need a special viral cleaner.

Plenty of hand washing and sanitiser. Clean down surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »

If you have symptoms, contact your GP. They will arrange testing for you.

If you have been told by contact-tracers that you need to be tested, then you will also be told where and when.

Apart from that, don't waste people's time looking for unnecessary tests. They have enough to do testing people who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

If you have symptoms, contact your GP. They will arrange testing for you.

If you have been told by contact-tracers that you need to be tested, then you will also be told where and when.

Apart from that, don't waste people's time looking for unnecessary tests. They have enough to do testing people who need it.

Even if you THINK you have symptoms contact your GP. Appointments are more than likely to back up so sooner than later is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Any pubs still open could be forcibly closed using 'emergency powers' https://jrnl.ie/5053904

Are there any pubs still open in Galway city?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any pubs still open could be forcibly closed using 'emergency powers' https://jrnl.ie/5053904

Are there any pubs still open in Galway city?

None blatantly open. Perhaps some back doors....I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I was in Wellpark today, the chipper beside the G counter was open. There were only two customers, it doesn’t seem worth it to open.

They also do delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JCX BXC wrote: »
    None blatantly open. Perhaps some back doors....I don't know.

Reliable sources say that the lines have been cleared (ie emptied): I saw a Guinness quality team van in town today, and am told that this is what they were at. So no back doors, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Reliable sources say that the lines have been cleared (ie emptied): I saw a Guinness quality team van in town today, and am told that this is what they were at. So no back doors, even.

Lines have been cleared in ALL pubs?

Also worth noting pubs serve alot more than just what's on draught, however you may aswell go to an offie then!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Line contents are the pubs issue, they tap the keg and sell the contents. Quality team van is the branding on the service and support team vehicle's. They have nothing to do with lines except regular scheduled cleaning. Probably doing calls that were book before all this kicked off.

MrsBeard made some good points this morning about it being one of the least suitable places to have a test centre. You have to go to city centre, find parking, touch the gangway as you head up, lots of metal surfaces, who knows how many accidental touches people will make to be tested. If you are elderly or have a fever and don't feel well I'm not sure a boat is the best option.

There is another navy ship moored in Dublin and it's set up tents on the pier to do the testing so you never actually go onto the ship

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Use Firefox or anything bar Chrome.

chrome pffffft

I use Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

flazio wrote: »
    Not Shockingly at all, pretty good.
    And to the poster suggesting that the only safe thing to do right now is not to venture outside the confines of a home unless completely necessary, I think staving off cabin fever is absolutely necessary. Protecting our mental health is also an effective barrier to conditions much worse than Covid 19.

my mental and physical health is best protected by not mixing with society at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Lines have been cleared in ALL pubs?

Also worth noting pubs serve alot more than just what's on draught, however you may aswell go to an offie then!

This is rubbish, lines don't get cleared, they get cleaned by the various quality teams. It's the pub itself that decides whether a keg is hooked up or not.

Edit: Westgolf beat me to it with his reply

The racecourse would be very well suited to a drive through test site... any word of it being used?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Dunnes doing a great job in Knocknacarra too. Max 100 in the shop at a time, one in, one out. About 25 min queue to get in, stretched out with 2m+ between everyone and a staff member reminding about the spacing every so often. Hand sanitiser and gloves available when you enter and wipes and spray for trolley handles. Bin for the gloves on the way out and more sanitiser. Space around the cashiers marked out.

Well done Dunnes.

Someone better tell Dunnes in Westside, they have the gloves/sanitiser etc, but no door patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Not sure if this is the place to ask but does anyone have experience with waiting times for testing in Galway? I know two people who are waiting a week and they would be classed as vulnerable. Not very reassuring about the accuracy of our confirmed cases..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Someone better tell Dunnes in Westside, they have the gloves/sanitiser etc, but no door patrol.

Westside are doing same was there while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

cant26 wrote:
    Not sure if this is the place to ask but does anyone have experience with waiting times for testing in Galway? I know two people who are waiting a week and they would be classed as vulnerable. Not very reassuring about the accuracy of our confirmed cases..

Testing is unfortunately 4-5 days at the moment due to a shortage in testing kits. Results are two to three days. More tests kits are arriving this week. Please remember that even if you have rang your GP and have a test booked but your condition worsens DO NOT just wait for the test. Contact your GP again or in emergency 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

Without going through the whole thread:
    If your due for a test, do you have to drive up to the test centre or can you walk up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Payton wrote: »
    If your due for a test, do you have to drive up to the test centre or can you walk up?

I would have thought they'd advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

flazio wrote: »
    I would have thought they'd advise you.

Im asking for a friend, the text just informs him of time, date, location etc and a ref number. Its a drive through facility setup.
    So as the friend doesnt drive they need to be brought up..possibly contaminating the driver.

• Advertisement

Payton wrote: »

If you're told to self isolate you shouldn't be out walking

Advertisement