Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

You can walk if needed. They have the facilities to bring patients indoors if they feel their symptoms/condition requires further evaluation on arrival for a test.

Also if you cannot arrive safely to the test centre contact the HSE and they will do what they can to organise transportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Really people, if you have a test and feel you can't wait for that date, or you are unclear as to how to proceed with the test, contact your GP again & take their advice, or phone the HSE Helpline. Posters on Boards are not qualified to advise anyone in relation to this situation.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

Really people, if you have a test and feel you can't wait for that date, or you are unclear as to how to proceed with the test, contact your GP again & take their advice, or phone the HSE Helpline. Posters on Boards are not qualified to advise anyone in relation to this situation.
    Ive tried for 2 days to get through to the HSE helpline and the GP doesn't sit at the weekend hence im asking here. But thank you for your courteous reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're told to self isolate you shouldn't be out walking

But if you have to gi to a test centre, the choice may be to get in a small vehicle with another person, or to walk. I'd walk.

But if you have to gi to a test centre, the choice may be to get in a small vehicle with another person, or to walk. I'd walk.

Just watched a questions and answers session on RTE following the latest HSE press conference & this question was asked.

What do people who have no access to transport do regarding attending a drive through test?

The answer given was that the HSE are this coming week putting a system in place whereby a ambulance or other HSE appointed vehicle will be made available to people in those circumstances.

That said, they made no reference as to how or where people needing that service can avail of it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

There is another navy ship moored in Dublin and it's set up tents on the pier to do the testing so you never actually go onto the ship

https://twitter.com/supremepooleire/status/1241760401190195202?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

25 cases in Co Galway
    0013f19b-521.jpg

Payton wrote: »
    Ive tried for 2 days to get through to the HSE helpline and the GP doesn't sit at the weekend

All GPs are required to have access to an out-of-hours service which operates whenever the surgery is closed. In Galway, it's usually either WestDoc or CityDoc.

To contact it, phone the GP's surgery and follow the instructions.

FYI, the testing facility supported by the naval shop is likely not on board: tents were being erected on the dock beside it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I see McDonald's are closing Nationwide tomorrow from 7pm. That's pretty much everything outside of grocery shut now is it? Only place I can think of still open is petit delice, doing take aways, anywhere else? Hopefully not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I see McDonald's are closing Nationwide tomorrow from 7pm. That's pretty much everything outside of grocery shut now is it? Only place I can think of still open is petit delice, doing take aways, anywhere else? Hopefully not

Shmacs is open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Galway Airport to be the latest testing centre. Opening Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/1241835214617395201

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Errrr no. Lots of different types of shops and businesses are still open, to some extent at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Debenhams, Collerans, Madden's Florist, Grind (Briarhill), Tormeys, Homestore and More, Woodies, just the things springing to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Debenhams, Collerans, Madden's Florist, Grind (Briarhill), Tormeys, Homestore and More, Woodies, just the things springing to mind.

Jesus ok I better get out more... Oh wait😲

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

A lot of people are still working, thankfully.

Nope.

A scarily large number of places were open on Saturday, according to this list - I saw one of the barbers listed open again and cutting someone's hair today:

https://www.galway.staff-wanted.net/2020/03/shops-cafes-open-galway-city-covid-19-21-march.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Some businesses are open and letting one or two in. Some aren't letting any in but serving them at the door. Some are delivery only. Fair play to businesses adapting. Tough times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Apparently an ice cream van turned up at the beach in Bearna yesterday. That must have really helped with the physical distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm presuming that Smyths is closed. Tried phoning but no answer, then again they're never the best for answering.
    Is Argos closed please?

Thanks,
    Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Apparently an ice cream van turned up at the beach in Bearna yesterday. That must have really helped with the physical distancing.

There was one on the prom too just up from a mocha beans van. The prom yesterday was packed.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm presuming that Smyths is closed. Tried phoning but no answer, then again they're never the best for answering.
    Is Argos closed please?

Thanks,
    Patrick.

Smyths are open

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

One of the premier two covid19 cases in Galway, on 5th/6th March, now being interviewed on Radio1
    Had been in Italy, returned to Galway, describes how he passed on the virus to two others before he found out he may have had it, even though he was asymptomatic, contact tracing, etc

Both mid-fifties fit healthy
    He stated he got mild symptoms, no medication, released recently
    His wife is still in hospital isolation for 18 days, after pneumonia, oxygen, breathing issues, heavy medication

He's been told not to go into circulation for another five days

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    There was one on the prom too just up from a mocha beans van. The prom yesterday was packed.

I hear there was one at Silver Strand too.

obi604 wrote: »
    Whats the general story with 'Galway2020'

Has it been officially cancelled etc?

obi604 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this?

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/meeting-to-discuss-future-of-galway-2020-amid-covid-19-pandemic/

"There have been suggestions that Galway’s designation as European Capital of Culture for 2020 will have to be pushed into 2021 due to the significant impact of Covid-19."

Makes sense to write it off and go again, pause and resume as many of the projects as possible.

Then kick it off with a grand opening in the swamp in January 2021. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    "There have been suggestions that Galway’s designation as European Capital of Culture for 2020 will have to be pushed into 2021 due to the significant impact of Covid-19."

Might not be that simple, cities already picked out for next year, and until 2024, unless they push them all out as well.

Actually countries allocation until 2033, but 2023 only has one city, (unless 3/4) since the UK was to have had that year as well, they could slot Galway/Rijeka in there.

Maybe just share it across 4 cities next year instead of 2.

Edit: They've already extended it to 3 countries for next year (in Romania, Greece & Serbia)... make that 5!

All SuperMacs to close by 7pm Thursday.

All instore seating to close tonight

• Advertisement

Not technically Galway, but Knock airport closing after the weekend.

Advertisement