Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Galway City Council
    @GalwayCityCo
    ·
    12m
    Following further restrictions announced on Friday evening by the Government,
    @GalwayCityCo
    will close access to walkways and beaches at Salthill Promenade, Ballyloughane & Silver Strand from Saturday morning. All other recreational amenities are now also restricted. #COVID19

I know a lot of people who go for a swim at Black Rock daily... Are we to assume this is to be signposted closed to? I understand people will still go in, but it appears the regulars are observing distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

obi604 wrote: »
    Can I go out the front of the house and kick a ball around with the 2 smal kids? Provided no one else out at same time.

It's a bit grey tbh. If it's the front of our houses I think ok, but don't know about the street. Obviously this is about the rules and people will bend them when sensible but they will fine apparently.

I know a lot of people who go for a swim at Black Rock daily... Are we to assume this is to be signposted closed to? I understand people will still go in, but it appears the regulars are observing distance...

Yeah. No swimming. This is awful for the regular swimmers, it is so much more than just a 'fun' thing, it's become essential to many.

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's a bit grey tbh. If it's the front of our houses I think ok, but don't know about the street. Obviously this is about the rules and people will bend them when sensible but they will fine apparently.

Case by case and common sense. For example we have no garden, so our daily exercise of a walk and kicking a ball (toddler exercise!) will be within the new restrictions as far as I'm aware..

Yeah. No swimming. This is awful for the regular swimmers, it is so much more than just a 'fun' thing, it's become essential to many.
    Absolutely. I know people doing it daily for years. But I think definitely closures were needed for parks and woods, far too much of an incentive with the sunny weather

• Advertisement

Case by case and common sense. For example we have no garden, so our daily exercise of a walk and kicking a ball (toddler exercise!) will be within the new restrictions as far as I'm aware..

Apparently it's one adult and a child, not two from the same house! I would LOVE if it were common sense, but swimming in the sea is not dangerous, it's the actions of eejits restricting this. Wonder how much they will clamp down on this. I just got a text from an older friend (not over 70 though) who swims early each morning and is very panicky. I knew that might happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

People need to get over themselves, if they cant swim or go beach or runs etc for few weeks so be it. Stop being selfish, theres peoples lifes at risk. All yer being asked to do is stay at home for a few weeks, this is a war we fighting and all we asked to do is stay in so can people stop being so selfish please just for a few weeks.

dockysher wrote: »
    People need to get over themselves, if they cant swim or go beach or runs etc for few weeks so be it. Stop being selfish, theres peoples lifes at risk. All yer being asked to do is stay at home for a few weeks, this is a war we fighting and all we asked to do is stay in so can people stop being so selfish please just for a few weeks.

Please stop with the judgement. We don't know anyone's situation. We do know what they have advised. We are on stricter measures because some people didn't listen and WERE selfish, not because actions like swimming in the sea are dangerous. Not observing the rules was the dangerous thing and now we are all paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

But what if swimming IS your daily exercise and you're within 2km of the sea...?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Council will close access to walkways and beaches at
    Salthill Promenade, Ballyloughane & Silver Strand from Saturday morning.
    All other recreational amenities are now also restricted.

How will they close the Prom? and beach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Also, Cllr Donal Lyons walks the Prom every single day (or so he says), where is his outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

There are people that I feel for during these viral times but swimmers...no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Please stop with the judgement. We don't know anyone's situation. We do know what they have advised. We are on stricter measures because some people didn't listen and WERE selfish, not because actions like swimming in the sea are dangerous. Not observing the rules was the dangerous thing and now we are all paying for it.

He’s right though, regardless of who caused these measures to be introduced, they are now introduced and everyone needs to pull together and abide by them. The sooner people realise that the better, and the longer people go on thinking ‘we’ll I didn’t cause this, it was someone else’ well the longer the critical phase of this virus, and hence the lockdown, will last. So yes, people do need to get over themselves and just stay at home.

Just stay in for 2 weeks. Can people not do that? Is it so much to ask people to do that to save peoples lifes? Really. Why cant we as a nation just stay in our homes if we lucky enough to have homes and we dont have essential work to go too or somewhere essential to be, just stay in.
    Please.
    Thanks

ratracer wrote: »
    He’s right though, regardless of who caused these measures to be introduced, they are now introduced and everyone needs to pull together and abide by them. The sooner people realise that the better, and the longer people go on thinking ‘we’ll I didn’t cause this, it was someone else’ well the longer the critical phase of this virus, and hence the lockdown, will last. So yes, people do need to get over themselves and just stay at home.
    Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

It is breathtaking arrogance of the highest order if the daily swimmers show up in Blackrock tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Apparently it's one adult and a child, not two from the same house! I would LOVE if it were common sense, but swimming in the sea is not dangerous, it's the actions of eejits restricting this. Wonder how much they will clamp down on this. I just got a text from an older friend (not over 70 though) who swims early each morning and is very panicky. I knew that might happen :(

What do you mean by this: “Apparently it's one adult and a child, not two from the same house!”

Where did you pick this up from?

It is breathtaking arrogance of the highest order if the daily swimmers show up in Blackrock tomorrow.

But how is it against government / HSE advice or instruction if they're within 2km of Blackrock? Brief daily exercise is permitted...

(btw I'm not a daily swimmer and I'll not be near Salthill or Blackrock)

obi604 wrote: »
    What do you mean by this: “Apparently it's one adult and a child, not two from the same house!”

Where did you pick this up from?

I'm in a whatsapp group and some of the parents are discussing it. Exercise to be taken alone with the exception of having a child with you, so not two adults. It is grey enough but if you have any clarification do post it.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    But what if swimming IS your daily exercise and you're within 2km of the sea...?

Yeah beaches closed now.

• Advertisement

I get that we all need to pull together. I also get that nobody knows anybody's situation, so what is just an inconvenience for one might be something huge for another. I also think critical examination is no harm, while following medical guidance. Questioning is no harm. Stay safe.

I'm in a whatsapp group and some of the parents are discussing it. Exercise to be taken alone with the exception of having a child with you, so not two adults. It is grey enough but if you have any clarification do post it.

This is just wrong., it is fine to exercise with family, there is no mention of one adult with one child.
    A family living in the same house would be treated as one unit, as they would be exposed to the same risks.

This is just wrong., it is fine to exercise with family, there is no mention of one adult with one child.
    A family living in the same house would be treated as one unit, as they would be exposed to the same risks.

Well RTE New report it as....

"To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing"

Individual personal exercise? Sounds like 1 adult at a time? Doesn't make sense though if they're within the same family or isolation unit.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Well RTE New report it as....

"To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing"

Individual personal exercise? Sounds like 1 adult at a time? Doesn't make sense though if they're within the same family or isolation unit.

Yes that's how the group interpreted it, although I agree with the previous poster who said it doesn't make sense. Perhaps to limit the number of adults out? As someone mentioned clusters being a problem. Seems to have skipped a step. And just one kid at a time? What if you have 4 kids? It's not super clear about leaving the house.

I’m out!

Read into it what you will, above all else stay safe, keep your families safe. Control what you can control, don’t get overly stressed about things you can’t. Let’s get through this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yeah beaches closed now.

Yes that's how the group interpreted it, although I agree with the previous poster who said it doesn't make sense. Perhaps to limit the number of adults out? As someone mentioned clusters being a problem. Seems to have skipped a step. And just one kid at a time? What if you have 4 kids? It's not super clear about leaving the house.

WhatsApp will be the death of us if not covid19. From RTE:
    'To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing'... Individual means not an outdoor class, not a person training session, means go alone or as a family. So a person can go for a walk alone or bring one or five kids, as long as those kids are kids in their home. And that 'cluster' respect others others passing by with the 2m gap.

I get that we all need to pull together. I also get that nobody knows anybody's situation, so what is just an inconvenience for one might be something huge for another. I also think critical examination is no harm, while following medical guidance. Questioning is no harm. Stay safe.

Not going for a swim in the sea isn’t “huge” for anyone and if it is they need to get over themselves.

If blackrock is closed (which I assume it will be) anyone down there should be for fined. People can go for a walk or a short run to keep ticking over for the next while, the more the rules are respected the faster things can start heading back in the direction of normal.

• Advertisement

WhatsApp will be the death of us if not covid19. From RTE:
    'To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing'... Individual means not an outdoor class, not a person training session, means go alone or as a family. So a person can go for a walk alone or bring one or five kids, as long as those kids are kids in their home. And that 'cluster' respect others others passing by with the 2m gap.

LOL! You're so right about the whatsapp groups! Did you see anything about 2 adults / partners being restricted or is that ok? Can we dress spouses like small children if not? ;)

Advertisement