Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

inisboffin wrote: »
    LOL! You're so right about the whatsapp groups! Did you see anything about 2 adults / partners being restricted or is that ok? Can we dress spouses like small children if not? ;)

I am so confused as on another thread someone just said they understand it as one adult, and a child, or children not two adults 😂 makes zero sense, I'll stick with my understanding til I'm told otherwise!

Edit: I've been told I'm not reading it right and it IS one adult... Eagerly open to confirmation!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Yeah. No swimming. This is awful for the regular swimmers, it is so much more than just a 'fun' thing, it's become essential to many.

The whole country is making sacrifices and changes to their everyday life so tough ****. They'll get over it or else swim in sea if they live within 2km of the coast. Atlantic Ocean is big enough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

mjp wrote: »
    They'll get over it or else swim in sea if they live within 2km of the coast.

??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    ??

What confuses you here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

If you saw the crowdd at BlackRock yesterday you would know why this has had to happen. The changing rooms were packed with people, I saw one group of 3 adults and 2 kids getting into the water together. Convince me they are all from one family!
    It was a totally ridiculous sight to behold in these times. The sheer arrogance of these people was staggering, I used to respect them and often called them the toughest people in the world. That opinion changed yesterday. Arrogant, selfish, up their own hole, idiots is my new view.
    You don't have a god given right to swim in that area but you must obey the laws of the country especially where your actions may affect the health of others.

Dry your eyes, shut up and stay at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Huge queues outside dunnes and aldi knocknacarra already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

I am so confused as on another thread someone just said they understand it as one adult, and a child, or children not two adults 😂 makes zero sense, I'll stick with my understanding til I'm told otherwise!

Edit: I've been told I'm not reading it right and it IS one adult... Eagerly open to confirmation!

Going to quote what a previous poster added a few hours ago. Essentially: you can exercise with the family you live with and no one else and if you do this - keep a 2 metre distance from others.

“it is fine to exercise with family, there is no mention of one adult with one child.
    A family living in the same house would be treated as one unit, as they would be exposed to the same risks.”

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Exactly. Your family/household unit are sharing germs! If one gets it there is a very high chance the rest will too. So stay as one unit and don't mix with other units. So if you have a big house with Granny living there too and a load of kids you are one unit and can go out and exercise together - that would be my interpretation. Just stay the hell away from others outside of your unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 808SOS

yes, your risk of possibly infecting each other in the household is the same outside.
    the key is to minimise the risk of infecting others or being infected by others.

the more people we are in contact with the more we risk being infected or spreading it further.

short term pain = long term gain

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What confuses you here?

You said the local sea swimmers should get over it or swim in the sea...

• Advertisement

Anyone know about these 2:

General factories? (Presume will close if not making medical devices)

Building sites?

wily minx wrote: »
    Exactly. Your family/household unit are sharing germs! If one gets it there is a very high chance the rest will too. So stay as one unit and don't mix with other units. So if you have a big house with Granny living there too and a load of kids you are one unit and can go out and exercise together - that would be my interpretation. Just stay the hell away from others outside of your unit.

Granny can’t though if over 70 ;)

obi604 wrote: »
    Essentially: you can exercise with the family you live with and no one else and if you do this - keep a 2 metre distance from others.
    wily minx wrote: »
    So stay as one unit and don't mix with other units. So if you have a big house with Granny living there too and a load of kids you are one unit and can go out and exercise together

I really don't think ye're right on this.

Newstalk's summary of the daily individual exercise is...
    "Exercise should be done within two kilometres of where you live, and should be done alone."

I thought this made no sense but as pointed out on the C19 forum it's probably to allow for easier policing. If a garda comes across 2 or 3 adults out walking or running they don't know if they're from the same household or a group of friends that met up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I really don't think ye're right on this.

Newstalk's summary of the daily individual exercise is...
    "Exercise should be done within two kilometres of where you live, and should be done alone."

I thought this made no sense but as pointed out on the C19 forum it's probably to allow for easier policing. If a garda comes across 2 or 3 adults out walking or running they don't know if they're from the same household or a group of friends that met up.

See point 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Any idea if our insurance companies are closing their contact centers? Huge numbers of staff in the one area. Would these be considered essential workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Yea I don't know if I'm right but common sense would suggest that if I live with my husband then I surely can go out walking with him! I get your point about policing it buy let's face it they will never be able to police everyone's movements, it just isn't practical. I'm not saying do what you want they'll never catch you... I'm saying use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

obi604 wrote: »
    Anyone know about these 2:

General factories? (Presume will close if not making medical devices)

Building sites?

Supposed to be a full list released over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I think he meant go and swim in the sea if you’re within 2km. Otherwise, get over it. Sounds like they are closed anyway so they’ll all have to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Going to the prom has been a bad idea for weeks. I've been doing a 5k loops around my estate and people are doing a very good job of keeping their distance and avoiding each other. A single walk on the prom is probably more risk than 20 walks around my neighbourhood. Try some common sense. For example Cappagh park/Barna Woods is technically within my 2k limit but I'm not going there. My quiet 5K loop makes more sense for what we've been tasked to do.

Let everyone find their own quiet route to get outside and let people ask questions without judgement. Let units cohabitating alone without judgement. The idea is simple: quickly get out (once a day recommended) and do your best to avoid others then get home and stay home.

https://2kmfromhome.com/

Just don't take the piss and keep it to a minimum. If the majority of us can manage this we might get to keep this small liberty. In the meantime we'll all appreciate it while we have it as further measures are likely if we don't get a handle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Long queue at Dunnes Westside and very good on social spacing that's why it looks long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cant26 wrote: »
    Any idea if our insurance companies are closing their contact centers? Huge numbers of staff in the one area. Would these be considered essential workers?

They may have set staff up to work from home.

GDPR risks of this are being regarded as secondary at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Delighted they've closed off the prom, that's how it's done. Target the worst people and let them get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I never said that, it was a different poster, but they didn't say that, they said either they won't swim in the sea and get over it, or if they live within 2km of the sea they will swim.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I never said that, it was a different poster, but they didn't say that, they said either they won't swim in the sea and get over it, or if they live within 2km of the sea they will swim.

I see I see... the poster wasn't responding to the specific questions about swimmers that live within 2km of their daily swim spots that have been "closed" but more in general about sea swimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah. No swimming. This is awful for the regular swimmers, it is so much more than just a 'fun' thing, it's become essential to many.

Daily Mass was "essential" for many more. They've gotten over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

when this is all over,we will be crippled with taxes .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ultimanemo wrote: »

Saturday 28 March 2020 13.30pm

ccccc-Screenshot-1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Feck all Garda / Army presence around Galway. Bit of a joke really for a lock down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Feck all Garda / Army presence around Galway. Bit of a joke really for a lock down.

From the pictures above, it would seem that most people are capable of self-policing the lock down, thankfully.

Advertisement