Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Feck all Garda / Army presence around Galway. Bit of a joke really for a lock down.

How do you know there's no presence? You should actually either be at home or in work, so I doubt if you can see much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Feck all Garda / Army presence around Galway. Bit of a joke really for a lock down.

What do you expect the army to do? Shoot rogue joggers ignoring social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You shouldn't even need them except in exceptional circumstances. Hardly that difficult to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

City Council just closed off Westside running track and pitches, on the one hand they say you can exercise and then they go and do this what can we do now run on the road, it's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Can someone explain how the Prom is closed?
    Is anyone walking on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Corps just closed off Westside running track and pitches, on the one hand they say you can exercise and then they go and do this what can we do now run on the road, it's a joke

What faux outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Corps just closed off Westside running track and pitches, on the one hand they say you can exercise and then they go and do this what can we do now run on the road, it's a joke

You can exercise but you’ll have to do it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

el_gaucho wrote: »
    You can exercise but you’ll have to do it somewhere else.

Probably worried that too many will chose the same place and time to exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

saabsaab wrote: »
    Probably worried that too many will chose the same place and time to exercise.

Exactly. Same reason they are closing off the prom and the beaches.

It’s very quiet around Renmore but I did see a couple of muppets having a long huddle outside a shop. Some people just won’t get it until they face the working end of a jackboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The vast majority are adhering. Wouldn't waste energy worrying about the eejits that aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

zell12 wrote: »
    Can someone explain how the Prom is closed?
    Is anyone walking on it?

Passed about an hour ago, ppl were walking, but most were observing the space restrictions and a few were in the water.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

City Council just closed off Westside running track and pitches, on the one hand they say you can exercise and then they go and do this what can we do now run on the road, it's a joke

I passed there on Friday evening collecting girlfriend from work and the track was very busy. I guess they were afraid of people not respecting the distancing guidelines

Edit: Sorry it was Thursday evening

There are plenty of (young) soldiers at the testing centre in Carnmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There are plenty of (young) soldiers at the testing centre in Carnmore.
    Has there been an outbreak in the barracks?
    :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I cut through it earlier tonight as there were people in it and no sign on the gate (I'd passed the front earlier and saw a 'pitch closed' sign. I was a bit surprised to see the track open but then assumed it was just the pitch). About 7 or 8 people jogging/walking all very separate bar one couple walking together. Few kids on bikes doing circles.

When I walked out the other side though, there was a big yellow sign saying closed on the *other* pedestrian side. Passed people (who were observing distancing) but saw the sign on the way in from that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

See point 3.

The HSE have updated their guidance on their website...

"exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people"

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html#Stay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The HSE have updated their guidance on their website...

"exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people"

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html#Stay

Still makes no sense and I think you could still take -"yourself" to mean your household/family.

Went for our walk today as a family, 2 parents and 6yo.

Does it make any difference if all 3 of us walk together, or each adult is exerciseing separately by keeping just 2m apart from the other adult on the walk, with child with 1 adult? Technically seperate but for no practical reason, while still really together.

I think they banned woman walking 2m behind there husbands a long time ago:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ForestFire wrote: »
    Still makes no sense and I think you could still take -"yourself" to mean your household/family.

Does it make any difference if all 3 of us walk together, or each adult is exerciseing separately by keeping just 2m apart from the other adult on the walk, with child with 1 adult? Technically seperate but for no practical reason, while still really together.

I think they banned woman walking 2m behind there husbands a long time ago:eek: :D

Crazy when you are living at home with them , Leo caused mayhem last night when he almost locked the Country down tonight they have a new list as long as your hand that can stay open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Does it make any difference if all 3 of us walk together, or each adult is exerciseing separately by keeping just 2m apart from the other adult on the walk, with child with 1 adult?

It makes it easier to police instead of trying to tell if two people out walking are two mates that met up for a walk or a couple from the same house.

There were a lot of people meeting up for social walks over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Crazy when you are living at home with them , Leo caused mayhem last night when he almost locked the Country down tonight they have a new list as long as your hand that can stay open

Simon Harris responded to a tweet earlier saying going out as a household unit was OK. So you and your partner would be fine was what he specifically mentioned.

What has changed I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There's a construction site close to me that stayed shut today. But given the clarified list I expect they'll be back at work Monday. Every time I walk by I can see workers not adhering to social distancing and by accounts on radio it's not possible/realistic in that environment.

So how long until the next announcement? We just had 2 in one week. Is it obvious to everyone we'll keep tightening restrictions week after week after week until we get to a Spain/Italy level lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another bizzare post from you, going for the hat-trick?

Do you think some of the businesses that are allowed open should close? Do you disagree with the essential nature of these businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

This is not loading on the phone or PC?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Psychlops wrote: »
    This is not loading on the phone or PC?

Going fine for me, maybe your location services are off/disabled?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Got it now, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Beautiful day out.

Just a reminder to unplug and maybe shut out the news for the weekend or at least a few hours in the afternoon.

Sunday is meant to be a cracker. I felt like a terrible person going to Joyces (I had done a shop already this week) to get some bits for a bbq but I had to post something so had the excuse.

Enjoy your garden, balcony, or sunny spot.

Vitamin-D is good for your first line of defence!

Sunday is here now. Lovely blue skies, but the wind would go through ya......freezing.

bbq would be last thing on my mind, even without corona scenario.

I suppose it does make it harder to keep social distance when in a group. Say the 3 of you meet another 3 from another house it’s more difficult to pass each other on the path etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

obi604 wrote: »
    Sunday is here now. Lovely blue skies, but the wind would go through ya......freezing.

You call that wind by Galway standards? 'Tis but a gentle breeze!

We spent yesterday cleaning up the garden from winter and scrubbing the patio & bbq. Just waiting another hour for the sun to move over the roof to warm up the back. News hiatus until 6pm, book, beer, and burgers. It's positive self delusion for health.

What is everyone else been doing to take your mind off things?

There's a construction site close to me that stayed shut today. But given the clarified list I expect they'll be back at work Monday. Every time I walk by I can see workers not adhering to social distancing and by accounts on radio it's not possible/realistic in that environment.

So how long until the next announcement? We just had 2 in one week. Is it obvious to everyone we'll keep tightening restrictions week after week after week until we get to a Spain/Italy level lockdown?

I think people are missing that a lot of the groups of jobs that are allowed to work is follows by “if in support of essential services” or something to that effect.

I’ve heard of someone turned home yesterday at a checkpoint (not in Galway) also who was only going to collect some items from his office to work from home. Guards said his trip was not allowed.
    obi604 wrote: »

When the right setup a BBQ is not weather dependant. We would often cook on the bbq and eat inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I suppose it does make it harder to keep social distance when in a group. Say the 3 of you meet another 3 from another house it’s more difficult to pass each other on the path etc.

For us, 2 adults and 1 child, We walk in single file, stand to the side, step off path etc, and when in the local park, walk on the grass, it's not that hard... And remember it would be okay if I walked 2m from my wife and child because we would be exercising separately, but makes little sense to do this....

The current wording means a single parent can exercise with their children (multiple, how many? ), so are you saying one parent can mind mutile children or it would be better to have 2 parents in the group to control them and ensure they keep distance...

And as another poster said about policing, if a garda office can't distinguish between a family or friends, they're not very good at observation...... hint... The friends meet to chat, while the family are likley not talking to each other;), but seriously it's quite easy to spot family's over friends if you sit and look.

Advertisement