Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I’ve heard of someone turned home yesterday at a checkpoint (not in Galway) also who was only going to collect some items from his office to work from home. Guards said his trip was not allowed.

According to the news the other night the powers are not enacted yet, so they can anly advise to follow the rules...

In this case could they not have used some common sense. Its not like he was going to the beech or something, and was preparing to isolate for two weeks and probabley keep a wage to pay his bills.

If he said he was going down to the local shop would they have left him pass?

I known its important to control the spread of this virus and beaches and parks like last weekend are not acceptable, but some common sense is also required.

.. I will add though, he and his company could have been more prepared, I have been already working from home for a week, but anyone not yet have been told to bring laptops home every evening for the last 4 weeks....

... Still the announcement Friday means we have a lot of testing now we cannot do that requires test equipment etc.

Not heard yet from company what's happening Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think people are missing that a lot of the groups of jobs that are allowed to work is follows by “if in support of essential services” or something to that effect.

I’ve heard of someone turned home yesterday at a checkpoint (not in Galway) also who was only going to collect some items from his office to work from home. Guards said his trip was not allowed.

When the right setup a BBQ is not weather dependant. We would often cook on the bbq and eat inside.

I think we will get a lot of this where the Gardai don't know the rules. There will always be a few bad apples who will seize on an opportunity to order people around.

Discodog wrote: »
    I think we will get a lot of this where the Gardai don't know the rules. There will always be a few bad apples who will seize on an opportunity to order people around.

On the contrary I hope the guards are out in force and questioning as many people as possible and sending people home who aren’t giving plausible reasons for being out.

If this fella can work from home he should have already being doing so not going in a on a Saturday getting stuff when forced.

On the contrary I hope the guards are out in force and questioning as many people as possible and sending people home who aren’t giving plausible reasons for being out.

If this fella can work from home he should have already being doing so not going in a on a Saturday getting stuff when forced.

Yes we can all read out the rules. He should of lied & said he was shopping. The Garda operation is to enforce social distancing not to be unnecessarily pedantic.

I just got a call, from an elderly client. A large tree branch has broken & is hanging dangerously over her home. Do I deal with it illegally - as tree surgery isn't on the list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I just got a call, from an elderly client. A large tree branch has broken & is hanging dangerously over her home. Do I deal with it illegally - as tree surgery isn't on the list ?

But "providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people" is allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Unless the duties were an essential service, the Guard was perhaps correct.

But "providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people" is allowed.

So it depends on the attitude of the Gardai if I get stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Unless the duties were an essential service, the Guard was perhaps correct.

If he was on his own in the car, being honest with the Guard and practicing safe social distancing for the trip then the cop was being heavy-handed. We are all dealing with this the best we can and if the guy felt he needed to make the trip then he needed to make the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭zuhuraswa

Work trips for non essential services are allowed for tomorrow- to collect what you need, handover, close up business properly etc. But only tomorrow, as per the current government guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Yes I read that too. There is allowance tomorrow for people to tie up things at work. Very worrying if AGS don't know the rules.

• Advertisement

wily minx wrote: »
    Yes I read that too. There is allowance tomorrow for people to tie up things at work. Very worrying if AGS don't know the rules.

The list is long & open to interpretation. The guideline should be whether the person is endangering others & not pedantic "rule" enforcement. Some Guards will be sensible & some won't.

The guidance came from government. That guidance should be communicated to the guards. It's not that complicated.

The guidance came from government. That guidance should be communicated to the guards. It's not that complicated.

Guards do law not guidance :)

Someone should tell that guard turning someone around for driving to their own place of work then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Show some respect and give their proper title
    garda or gardai

garda or gardai

Respect ? I trust that you will scan Boards & admonish the thousands of posts using this term. Good to see proper priorities in this time of National emergency.

Someone should tell that guard turning someone around for driving to their own place of work then!

Another thread here has the HSE giving a poster two different answers as to what is allowed. The Gardai ( just for the previous poster :pac:) will be given outline instructions from, probably a Sergeant, who got them from a senior.

The Gardai should be helping the public & ensuring social distancing, not finding reasons to stop people. Leo stressed that "we police by consent" & that he didn't want to see heavy handed policing.

There’s going to be an increased presence of park rangers and gardaí in parks and public places to ensure the physical distancing is being observed. In Ireland since independence, we’ve always had policing by consent, rather than by coercion. I don’t intend for that to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭zuhuraswa

Discodog wrote:
    The list is long & open to interpretation. The guideline should be whether the person is endangering others & not pedantic "rule" enforcement. Some Guards will be sensible & some won't.

There is no 'list' for tomorrow to tie up things. All workers (essential and non-essential) are allowed to go to work tomorrow if they feel there is need to- not for work, but to close up shop properly, pick up whatever needs to be etc and go back home.

zuhuraswa wrote: »
    There is no 'list' for tomorrow to tie up things. All workers (essential and non-essential) are allowed to go to work tomorrow if they feel there is need to- not for work, but to close up shop properly, pick up whatever needs to be etc and go back home.

Yes. It's what happens on Tuesday that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

garda or gardai

Almost as pedantic as the guard themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zuhuraswa wrote: »

It's not quite that wide:
    There will be a grace period until 6pm on Monday 30 March for people who need to make necessary arrangements to wind down their activities in an orderly way. This should however be done in a way that minimises travel and personal interaction as much as possible.

source: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/

I will be making use of that provision. Annoyingly for things that I could have done on Friday afternoon if they'd told us at 4pm rather than 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

garda or gardai

Garda, gardai, gaurd, guards, police, officer, sir, Madame, even ban garda (not used anymore but still an old term), none of these shows lack of repect....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

ForestFire wrote: »
    Garda, gardai, gaurd, guards, police, officer, sir, Madame, even ban garda (not used anymore but still an old term), none of these shows lack of repect....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_a_reliable_source

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Dunnes knocknacarra quiet enough this afternoon and all shelves fully stocked and back to normal including the Pasta & bog roll which is good to see!

Although can people not go shopping by themselves, still a lot of people coupled up with partner / child / mother / father etc.. The supermarket should be the last place anyone should want to go to with a virus around, very hard to keep a distance from people in there. I realise some have no options but teenage children could wait in the car or at home in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Dunnes knocknacarra quiet enough this afternoon and all shelves fully stocked and back to normal including the Pasta & bog roll which is good to see!

Thought I'd beat the queue and get in early this morning... the queue was over an hour to get in. Was a lovely bright morning though so no harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Thought I'd beat the queue and get in early this morning... the queue was over an hour to get in. Was a lovely bright morning though so no harm!

I think everyone thought the same, I used to go early morning or late night to avoid the queues but seems afternoon is better for now, I queued for under 5 minutes before getting in (about4pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

BBC wrote:
    it was announced that a Dublin hotel and conference centre will be the first of a series of new coronavirus centres for isolation and stepdown care.
    Similar facilities are to open in other urban locations, including Cork, Limerick and Galway.

Where is the Galway one? Merlin Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

zell12 wrote: »
    Where is the Galway one? Merlin Park?

Merlin park is an existing hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement