Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Thought I'd beat the queue and get in early this morning... the queue was over an hour to get in. Was a lovely bright morning though so no harm!

I went to ALDI in Oranmore at 5 this evening. I was surprised at how quiet it was, and it was well stocked too. Staff member at checkout said it had been nuts yesterday and this morning but had quitened down after lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd imagine that the Gardai are being told to take a strict line with unnecessary travel at the early stage so that people will take it seriously.

Bit like a referee giving a card early in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the Gardai are being told to take a strict line with unnecessary travel at the early stage so that people will take it seriously.

Bit like a referee giving a card early in a game.

Have there been any checkpoints around Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ratracer wrote: »
    I went to ALDI in Oranmore at 5 this evening. I was surprised at how quiet it was, and it was well stocked too. Staff member at checkout said it had been nuts yesterday and this morning but had quitened down after lunch.

I live along the N84. There were plenty of cars going by yesterday. Very very quiet today. Seems people are taking it seriously now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Although can people not go shopping by themselves, still a lot of people coupled up with partner / child / mother / father etc.. The supermarket should be the last place anyone should want to go to with a virus around, very hard to keep a distance from people in there. I realise some have no options but teenage children could wait in the car or at home in most cases.

There are p**s takers of course but some people do it for a reason.
    Was chatting to one of the staff at Dunnes, and they said the nearly 'know' who is coming for an outing with the entire family or come twice a day and buy one thing 'for the walk'.
    I asked would they prefer people came on their own (I was asking in the case of a parent and older child, or partners, where the need is simply to carry and do a larger shop, if they have no car) vs multiple times, and she said they'd prefer two people came once and did a larger and less frequent shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Discodog wrote: »

I know someone who was stopped yesterday on the way in from barna and defintley a checkpoint in salthill today as well so probably more than that going on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Merlin park is an existing hospital?
    Yes it is, hence I asked for confirmation
    https://connachttribune.ie/top-surgeon-proposes-isolation-hospital-in-merlin-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Thats why they have trollies, no reason for help carrying anything in the store!

If no car then other person wait outside, no?
    inisboffin wrote: »
    where the need is simply to carry and do a larger shop, if they have no car) vs multiple times, and she said they'd prefer two people came once and did a larger and less frequent shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

There is one near Argos, they stopped me around 21:30

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dunnes knocknacarra quiet enough this afternoon and all shelves fully stocked and back to normal including the Pasta & bog roll which is good to see!

Although can people not go shopping by themselves, still a lot of people coupled up with partner / child / mother / father etc.. The supermarket should be the last place anyone should want to go to with a virus around, very hard to keep a distance from people in there. I realise some have no options but teenage children could wait in the car or at home in most cases.

At our local (rural) Spar a fella arrived in dragging 3 or 4 kids behind him today. Manager asked him if he could leave the children in the car. Massive row ensued.

• Advertisement

At our local (rural) Spar a fella arrived in dragging 3 or 4 kids behind him today. Manager asked him if he could leave the children in the car. Massive row ensued.

I hope the manager didn’t back down. Should have barred the man from ten shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

zell12 wrote: »
    Where is the Galway one? Merlin Park?

https://twitter.com/Dubhghlas95/status/1244234500680421377?s=19

Looks like NUIG is the most likely site. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Saw a lad getting questioned in Clifden earlier. Lots of arm waving and loud voices from both sides. He ended up heading off with a sheet of paper in his hand. I think it was just an information sheet as opposed to a ticket.

biko wrote: »

It's 68 according to the government's website.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e5971e-an-analysis-of-the-2216-cases-of-covid-19-in-ireland-as-of-friday-26/

Westmeath must be the worst affected county outside Dublin.

Thats why they have trollies, no reason for help carrying anything in the store!

If no car then other person wait outside, no?

Ya, that's a point but if there's two shopping they spend half the time in the shop if there's likely the same risk from them/for them if from the same household. They constantly announce spend as little time as possible if you can in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Discodog wrote:

I was stopped in carraroe today. Not a checkpoint as such he was patrolling in his car and blocked my way to ask my business

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

grbear wrote: »
    It's 68 according to the government's website.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e5971e-an-analysis-of-the-2216-cases-of-covid-19-in-ireland-as-of-friday-26/

Westmeath must be the worst affected county outside Dublin.
    Nope, Cork.

flazio wrote: »
    Nope, Cork.

Sorry, poor phrasing on my part.

The rate of infection looks like it's highest in Dublin at 1 case per 1100ish* people. Westmeath is at around 1 case per 1300ish. Cork is at around 1 per 2600.

*I'm using the 2016 Census figures to work those numbers out. They are obviously a bit out of date so I'm rounding off the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

We saw a car being stopped by 'the cops' on Taylor's hill road yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

ratracer wrote: »

I was in Aldi the other day, they had an ok queuing system.

At the entry door they had items to clean things down etc, they had 2 sprays and I specifically noted they were for 'grease and grime' - sure this isn't worth a damn really is it?

I told the girl at the entry door that they probably need to swap these with anti bacterial spray and she kind of agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

grbear wrote: »
    Sorry, poor phrasing on my part.

The rate of infection looks like it's highest in Dublin at 1 case per 1100ish* people. Westmeath is at around 1 case per 1300ish. Cork is at around 1 per 2600.

*I'm using the 2016 Census figures to work those numbers out. They are obviously a bit out of date so I'm rounding off the results.

Yeah this site shows the figures per 100k population in each county...

http://donegal.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f5863a09f5b445cba1897841a6f9f57b

507590.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Are aldi in Knocknacarra limiting people in the shop? Was there two weeks ago and it was uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Evergreen have taken their webstore offline "to ensure existing orders are fulfilled before accepting new orders".

Store are still open as normal

No they don't half the time when they walk around beside each other. They increase the risk of catching it.

Anyway I'm out as I can't believe this has to be explained to people.

Ya, that's a point but if there's two shopping they spend half the time in the shop if there's likely the same risk from them/for them if from the same household. They constantly announce spend as little time as possible if you can in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Went to Knocknacarra Dunnes at 10am. Small queue, once you're near the front you collect a trolly, then get called up and a man wipes down the trolly, then once your head of the queue you collect your trolly at the sanitizing station (no hand santiser, but was wearing gloves so just sprayed by gloves and trolly again).

However once inside I had customers and staff passing right past me, distracted customers blocking what I needed so having to reach around them, and people reaching around me rather than wait a sec. This was the first day I dawned a mask and gloves and noticed the % of others wearing them are increasing.

All in all the shop was well stocked and I was able to get most everything to keep the family set for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ArtyC wrote: »
    Are aldi in Knocknacarra limiting people in the shop? Was there two weeks ago and it was uncomfortable

It was fine at 11.30am today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Seriously!!!

No they don't half the time when they walk around beside each other. They increase the risk of catching it.

Anyway I'm out as I can't believe this has to be explained to people.

Yep if they walk around together it's pointless, but if they shop at the same time it's not. I'll take the advice of the person who works there who explained it grand, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yep if they walk around together it's pointless, but if they shop at the same time it's not. I'll take the advice of the person who works there who explained it grand, thanks.
    Except most couples will just wander around chatting and blocking up the aisles while they debate which tin of beans to buy and gape at you with open mouths when you try and pass

You and your other half might have navy seal level efficiency but most people are idiots :pac:

• Advertisement

Good news;

Medtronic are to share design specs for ventilators;

https://mobile.twitter.com/declanvarley/status/1244608843847553029

Advertisement