Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

30/03/20 Co Galway cases
    1st death in West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

xckjoo wrote: »
    Except most couples will just wander around chatting and blocking up the aisles while they debate which tin of beans to buy and gape at you with open mouths when you try and pass

You and your other half might have navy seal level efficiency but most people are idiots :pac:

Wish this weren't true :(. Common sense will save us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

xckjoo wrote: »
    Except most couples will just wander around chatting and blocking up the aisles while they debate which tin of beans to buy and gape at you with open mouths when you try and pass

You and your other half might have navy seal level efficiency but most people are idiots :pac:

Remember the dodos in Ice Age (whatever number that was)? :/ Except that these people don't cause just themselves harm. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yep if they walk around together it's pointless, but if they shop at the same time it's not. I'll take the advice of the person who works there who explained it grand, thanks.

I think you have misunderstood the shop keepers comments, or maybe they misunderstood your question.

Who goes shopping and split up and does half the shop each? Maybe people nip off and pick something up but generally people will travel around together.

I think you have misunderstood the shop keepers comments, or maybe they misunderstood your question.

Who goes shopping and split up and does half the shop each? Maybe people nip off and pick something up but generally people will travel around together.

Nope. I didn't do that. And have you never done speed shopping to get in and out quickly? Sure how would two people walking together save any time. Someone does the big things in the trolley and the other person takes the list and starts the other side. I think the Americans had to put a rule into the game show about it as they considered it cheating :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

See on Sky news tonight that the British Police are being warned about how they are policing the lock down, loads of complaints about their over powering attitude and handing out fines for minor things, hope this does not happen here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Storm 10 wrote: »
    See on Sky news tonight that the British Police are being warned about how they are policing the lock down, loads of complaints about their over powering attitude and handing out fines for minor things, hope this does not happen here

Fairly sure it definitely won't.
    That said I don't mind if they play it somewhat heavy handed with people who are breaking the rules. All our lives , our economy and future hang in the balance here, I hope the guards act accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Nope. I didn't do that. And have you never done speed shopping to get in and out quickly? Sure how would two people walking together save any time. Someone does the big things in the trolley and the other person takes the list and starts the other side. I think the Americans had to put a rule into the game show about it as they considered it cheating :pac:

We have to do shopping for four households. We both go, list each , trolley each. We don’t speak to each other, head down get on with it as if we’re separate

God what I wouldn’t give to chat and wander the middle aisles right now

I’ve never shopped like this nor seen anyone else do it.

The vast majority of people including me and my wife walk around together while shopping and this is how you see all other people who are shopping in groups too. In general we shop alone anyway though as no need for two people to go. Hence for the vast majority they would need to seriously alter their way of shopping to even get close to being a good idea for two people to go shopping. Imo regardless of how you do it only one person should go shopping as two people increases risk and also reduces how many others can enter the shop there is no need whatsoever to be going in a group of two currently.

We are doing all our shopping online before you ask so not going to the shop at all and in the lead up to this only shopped alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ArtyC wrote: »
    We have to do shopping for four households. We both go, list each , trolley each. We don’t speak to each other, head down get on with it as if we’re separate

Unfortunately you are the exception. Lots of clueless couple clogging the asiles, even now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I've found people excellent in shops. Keeping distance properly and giving people plenty of room. You'll get the odd one that doesn't but they are the minority.

Brilliant effort so far by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

when this is all over,we will be crippled with taxes .

If we may go back to "normal" afterwards then yes we will be screwed with taxes, or if we realise our true value to the system we can exercise our collective bargaining by way of a national strike for even one day and we'll soon have government treating us as to big to fall

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

In a country with 60m+ the police probably have to be overpowering and handing out fines for everything, have you seen the photos of the tubes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Unfortunately you are the exception. Lots of clueless couple clogging the asiles, even now.

I see it . Some pair having the chats at the milk section and me and another woman 2m Apart waiting for them to move. We don’t buy dairy but my moms household lives on it

I’m going to get questioned on fridAy for two of us in the car- my anxiety is rife

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lots of online comments that the Gardai are using the opportunity to check licenses, windscreens etc.

A woman reported that they threatened to seize her car for an out of date NCT despite the centres being closed.

The Commissioner's comments about carrying ID & employer letters were very different to Leo's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Discodog wrote: »
    A woman reported that they threatened to seize her car for an out of date NCT despite the centres being closed. .

yeah, but how "out of date" was it, if it was 5/6 month out of date, i would not see an issue with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Went to our local supermarket yesterday. Behavior by others calling in fine in the main.
    The really annoying thing was the large group of young assistants with lists for the click and collect, all busy with their work, doing a good job apart from having no consideration whatsoever as regards social distancing. Effectively it was busier than a normal day populated by the low risk without the same worries.

Will try smaller stores next out.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Discodog wrote: »
    Lots of online comments that the Gardai are using the opportunity to check licenses, windscreens etc.

A woman reported that they threatened to seize her car for an out of date NCT despite the centres being closed.

Don't see a problem with that.
    If you're driving your license, insurance, tax & NCT should all be valid.

If your NCT is out of date - it depends on how out of date it is.

ArtyC wrote: »

Yep! Exactly. We also collect a few bits for the neighbour. Only difference is we figured less risk to use one trolley so the one gets the small things dumps in at checkout.

I’ve never shopped like this nor seen anyone else do it.

The vast majority of people including me and my wife walk around together while shopping and this is how you see all other people who are shopping in groups too. In general we shop alone anyway though as no need for two people to go. Hence for the vast majority they would need to seriously alter their way of shopping to even get close to being a good idea for two people to go shopping. Imo regardless of how you do it only one person should go shopping as two people increases risk and also reduces how many others can enter the shop there is no need whatsoever to be going in a group of two currently.

We are doing all our shopping online before you ask so not going to the shop at all and in the lead up to this only shopped alone.

Well as you’ve seen now by a couple of posters it’s possible to do it another way too. Of course if we are not in a hurry or in a bloody pandemic we would walk together sometimes, but this is something we have done before when pushed for time, and again I asked the actual employees and they have no problem with it.
    We also try to shop when it is not busy and the last 2 times the shop was quiet and no queues at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Went to our local supermarket yesterday. Behavior by others calling in fine in the main.
    The really annoying thing was the large group of young assistants with lists for the click and collect, all busy with their work, doing a good job apart from having no consideration whatsoever as regards social distancing. Effectively it was busier than a normal day populated by the low risk without the same worries.

Will try smaller stores next out.

I was at the Londis on Dublin road today, it was practically deserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Barney92 wrote: »
    I was on the phone to the city council and the local garda station who each indicated that the other would be where to find exact information.
    Although that doesn't surprise me, the Guards enforce the law, they don't set it.

In this case, this would be a local bye-law, so the city council should have known what the limit was, because they set it.

Been busy the last few days so playing catchup with the numbers

325 cases reported today, with an additional 17 deaths sadly

507769.png

The r value is stubbornly hanging around the 1.1 mark which, while a major improvement, did not drift lower as I'd expected. This is likely what drove the increased restrictions last Friday. Fingers crossed by next weekend we start to see this closing on a value of 1 or lower.

I've also included a rolling 7 day avg to normalise the values to illustrate the trend better.

507767.png

What the current rate of approx 1.1 means for the next few weeks is by Apr 14 we would be looking at just slightly over 14,000 cases. As we are currently running at a rate of 3% in ICU, that would roughly translate to 420 in ICU at that point which is at or above the current, expanded, capacity. Note, that number doesn't account for deaths/recoveries which would free up capacity.

507768.png

Unlike a lot of other countries, Ireland is not tracking the numbers of recovered so the chart below is only looking ICU, Deaths & Mild. If I have time I'll modify to account for non-ICU admissions.

507770.png

Someone asked about the county by county breakdown and if I could do something on that. I can, but the issue is the data format the HSE puts its info out in is a bag of sh1te which means a lot of the updating has to be done manually by everyone. They are also not releasing all info, for example, they give the cases by age group and the cases by gender, but not the cases of gender in each age group and so on.

They have their own dashboard which you can view by going here and selecting the desktop or mobile versions.

Also, todays HSE report is here

Sources & Resources

Annoying that boards only allows 5 attachments

Some additional info in the gifs below, coming from wikipedia

507776.gif

507777.gif

The Kilkenny shop in High St is having its windows boarded up today.

I've seen no signs of looting here. Has there been in other cities perhaps?

( Retailers may be reassured to know that inner city residents are still here.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

<you already have a thread. Use that>

Mods been over zealous again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

One premises in Cork was boarded up a couple of days following the announcement to close pubs.

A restaurant up the road from that premises is already filthy from people hanging about it - see their FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Looting? Could you pick a more inflammatory word?, as is said around here unless you have a source then your speculating and your choice of words are really unhelpful in these stressful times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

A lot of stores in NYC were boarded up. I don't think it's unusual especially if the store is keeping its stock on-premises.

• Advertisement

buzz11 wrote: »
    Looting? Could you pick a more inflammatory word?, as is said around here unless you have a source then your speculating and your choice of words are really unhelpful in these stressful times.

So why do you think they're boarding places up - can you think of other reasons????

Advertisement