Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So why do you think they're boarding places up - can you think of other reasons????

Ehr... saves them from having to wash the windows afterwards... obvs... :rolleyes: ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

So why do you think they're boarding places up - can you think of other reasons????

Have you tried email the shop to find out? Perhaps reach out to them on social media, maybe phone them or write a letter....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Could be a term in their insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Yes a few but none that warrant "looting" remarks...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Honestly, looting would have been my first thought, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

And mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

buzz11 wrote: »

Do share.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Perhaps, and only a theory mind, it's to keep the surfaces clean especially if their shutters are fitted inside the building instead of outside covering the windows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Friends pub in San Fran is boarded up. He said his only motive was because "others were doing the same... didn't want to be the weakest link".

Sonny's (High St side of Front Door) was boarded up from the inside.

I reckon it's a precautionary measure, but with the snowball effect .... one does it, others follow suit.

If I had a premises that wouldn't be opened for quite some time, i'd do the same. Plywood is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

westgolf wrote: »
    Perhaps, and only a theory mind, it's to keep the surfaces clean especially if their shutters are fitted inside the building instead of outside covering the windows ?

They're fitted outside.

And how would surfaces get dirty when the building is closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

They're fitted outside.

And how would surfaces get dirty when the building is closed?

your really asking that question?

surfaces will get dirty over time, dust etc. there will be bacteria, suffer oxidation or other chemical processes over time.
    When all these places re open they are going to have to clean them. Even if they were fully sealed they would still get dirty over time. Boarding up of windows is just more of a security concern to limit looting, i'd imaging a lot of them had a lot of stock - afterall they were shut Sunday two days before patricks day.

some places closed - a deep clean wouldn't go mis anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can't blame them for boarding up. Pubs could be closed for a long time. Probably the end of the road for some of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

buzz11 wrote: »

I know of a hotel that got boarded up on Saturday specifically for security reasons.

Why are you so offended at this comment? Do you think Galway is to nice to have any scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I know of a hotel that got boarded up on Saturday specifically for security reasons.

Why are you so offended at this comment? Do you think Galway is to nice to have any scumbags.

Looting generally implies gangs of people taking advantage of rioting or a natural disaster to steal items, where the forces of law and order are trying to quell riots and have no resources to address looting. Perhaps burglary would be more apt here, as there are plenty of guards on patrol with extra vehicles, no rioting and little to no other crime to keep them occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Zombies maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

opportunistic thieves then....
    Boarding up is just a deterrent to ensure they choose an easier target.

if you are seeing guard patrols, then i must be missing them every where to go as there nowhere in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Laviski wrote: »
    if you are seeing guard patrols, then i must be missing them every where to go as there nowhere in sight.

How far are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Laviski wrote: »
    opportunistic thieves then....
    Boarding up is just a deterrent to ensure they choose an easier target.

I haven't seen any patrols or checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Discodog wrote: »
    I haven't seen any patrols or checkpoints.

I saw a squad car yesterday morning down in rusheen bay. Where there’s never a sinner down there. Great work, lads.

I did come across one ‘checkpoint’ a cop sitting in his car whilst driving down the main rd to spiddal. He was waving down cars on the other side of the rd, asking where they were going. A stream of cars behind him just waiting to cause a accident on that crap rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

I can't believe people naively think the Gardai are only stopping people from going to Blackrock and the prom. It's obviously to stop the Westside crips and the Eastside Bloods from looting our central business district!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I can't believe people naively think the Gardai are only stopping people from going to Blackrock and the prom. It's obviously to stop the Westside crips and the Eastside Bloods from looting our central business district!!

That is a disgraceful comment and I would ask you to remove it or a mod to remove It, there are thousands of hard working people in every part of this City including the areas mentioned who do not desereve a comment like yours.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That is a disgraceful comment and I would ask you to remove it or a mod to remove It, there are thousands of hard working people in every part of this City including the areas mentioned who do not desereve a comment like yours.

You haven't been following this thread have you! My post was in relation to a previous poster who thought the city might be looted! Put the pitchfork down and turn on your sarcasm detector

You haven't been following this thread have you! My post was in relation to a previous poster who thought the city might be looted! Put the pitchfork down and turn on your sarcasm detector

So why do you think a shopfront was boarded up yesterday?

FWIW at least 5 garda vehicles responded to a city centre break-in last night. You may not see them, but the guards are around.

So why do you think a shopfront was boarded up yesterday?

FWIW at least 5 garda vehicles responded to a city centre break-in last night. You may not see them, but the guards are around.

I don't know I am not a business owner.

I agree with what Storm 10 has said. We have the finest, most hardworking citizens in this country and you shouldn't be even thinking that they would loot our city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Storm 10 wrote: »

The outrage is strong in this one.

It was in jest, drop it now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I don't know I am not a business owner.

I agree with what Storm 10 has said. We have the finest, most hardworking citizens in this country and you shouldn't be even thinking that they would loot our city centre.

No looters in Ireland bahahahaha

I think maybe this whole looting discussion is a bit premature, there are no reports of it yet.
    Commissioner Harris said: “The fear of looting should not arise, we have had no incidents yet, no sign of looting incidents, people have been calm and mannerly in their shopping, we are merely there to help with traffic flow and provide reassurance.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coronavirus-panicbuying-gardai-looting-drewharris-21686593

• Advertisement

Shop Street 5.40pm 2 April 2020

Screenshot-1.png

Advertisement