Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

biko wrote: »
    I think maybe this whole looting discussion is a bit premature, there are no reports of it yet.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coronavirus-panicbuying-gardai-looting-drewharris-21686593

Stores are usually boarded up for insurance purposes. Maybe some fear looting but I imagine for most it's an insurance issue if they are going to be closed for an extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Surprised to see with McDonald's and Supermacs closed down the Burger King outlet in Applegreen is still going. Takeout only mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tamara25

It’s such a pity to see Knockma wood closed at the moment.. I understand they don’t want large groups of people up there but as a local I miss it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Not specific to Galway, but why did Supermacs et. al decid to close fully, and not keep the drive-thru & delivery side of the business running?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Not specific to Galway, but why did Supermacs et. al decid to close fully, and not keep the drive-thru & delivery side of the business running?

Probably because it would be impossible to keep them open and keep staff in the kitchen 2 metres apart. Any restaurant that isnt a 1 man operation is probably not sticking to the social distancing guidelines between staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's more and more research suggesting that masks both help prevent infection and help prevent those who are ill spreading the virus further. Countries who habitually wear masks have much less infection rate and the CDC are said to be considering recommending them for all.

It would be great if everyone took to wearing them to the shops, it would mean that you could be more confident that products are not carrying exhaled particles of virus that can cause infection and live on plastic for up to 72hrs.

It's near impossible to buy a mask now but if you want to make a mask there's some very good info online and it's really simple. You just need a tshirt/pillowcase/scarf/tea towel and 2 hair ties.
    No sewing at all required, just takes 30 secs
    https://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie?fbclid=IwAR3vdI9zn8OttHsJNBcBol6fxVH9GJ6ClmToyRSXfT1bKC2_iq0p1NHCD4g

There's research on the best materials to use too. A double layer of tea towel provides the same protection as a surgical mask. A pillow case or t-shirt is more breathable but somewhat less effective. However still much better than nothing.
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/?fbclid=IwAR3S9U9iEnq0reWUD6Ea8MIlq4cYVPo3MwnYDI8bh_sNNsD6cl7TXUuH1tg

You might think no you don't want to wear it going out but if it's handy info even for you own home in case 1 person becomes ill to help them prevent infecting others and help you bring them food etc more safely.

No ones claiming these homemade masks are an equivalent to the gold standard ffp3/ffp2 ,they are not. They are aiming to be the same as a surgical mask worn in Asian countries, it does still make a difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

In Czech Republic they are all wearing them. Pat Kenny interviewed a guy about it the other day.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/czech-republic-campagin-get-everyone-wearing-masks-defeat-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great video from the Czechs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEX2-n2Hc

#Masks4All: "I protect you, you protect me."

For now, this is the official advice from the World Health Organisation
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
    The important thing to remember is taking on and off the mask properly.
    If there's a shortage, health workers must take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's more and more research suggesting that masks both help prevent infection and help prevent those who are ill spreading the virus further. Countries who habitually wear masks have much less infection rate and the CDC are said to be considering recommending them for all.

It would be great if everyone took to wearing them to the shops, it would mean that you could be more confident that products are not carrying exhaled particles of virus that can cause infection and live on plastic for up to 72hrs.

It's near impossible to buy a mask now but if you want to make a mask there's some very good info online and it's really simple. You just need a tshirt/pillowcase/scarf/tea towel and 2 hair ties.
    No sewing at all required, just takes 30 secs
    https://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie?fbclid=IwAR3vdI9zn8OttHsJNBcBol6fxVH9GJ6ClmToyRSXfT1bKC2_iq0p1NHCD4g

There's research on the best materials to use too. A double layer of tea towel provides the same protection as a surgical mask. A pillow case or t-shirt is more breathable but somewhat less effective. However still much better than nothing.
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/?fbclid=IwAR3S9U9iEnq0reWUD6Ea8MIlq4cYVPo3MwnYDI8bh_sNNsD6cl7TXUuH1tg

You might think no you don't want to wear it going out but if it's handy info even for you own home in case 1 person becomes ill to help them prevent infecting others and help you bring them food etc more safely.

No ones claiming these homemade masks are an equivalent to the gold standard ffp3/ffp2 ,they are not. They are aiming to be the same as a surgical mask worn in Asian countries, it does still make a difference though.

Certainly don't go buying masks for the time being, while it may help with the infection spread they're much more needed by healthcare staff at the moment. Good to include info on how to make your own as you did.

EVERYONE I've seen wearing a mask so far in the country, hasn't been wearing it correctly, I've seen people do ridiclous things with masks, including turning it inside out when the person left the supermarket (???!!!!), Lifting the mask up to scratch their face, coughing insanely as if the mask renders the cough unnoticeable to other people, having the mask half cocked on their face as they leave the supermarket/to answer the phone. If you are one of these people, please, don't wear a mask if you're going to be such a tool. It's shameful. Don't take valuable PPE away from healthcare staff and then insult them by doing these things.

However, anything that prevents infection droplets spreading is of course, a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Certainly don't go buying masks for the time being, while it may help with the infection spread they're much more needed by healthcare staff at the moment. Good to include info on how to make your own as you did.

EVERYONE I've seen wearing a mask so far in the country, hasn't been wearing it correctly, I've seen people do ridiclous things with masks, including turning it inside out when the person left the supermarket (???!!!!), Lifting the mask up to scratch their face, coughing insanely as if the mask renders the cough unnoticeable to other people, having the mask half cocked on their face as they leave the supermarket/to answer the phone. If you are one of these people, please, don't wear a mask if you're going to be such a tool. It's shameful. Don't take valuable PPE away from healthcare staff and then insult them by doing these things.

However, anything that prevents infection droplets spreading is of course, a good thing.

Took a walk in the eve y'day and passed a family all wearing masks incorrectly. The mother had the mask down under her chin, not evening covering her face or nose. :confused:

I've noted a lot more little (gloves, mask) as a result of this so I suppose a push for safe disposal should come with any recommendations to wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

It’s weird how I find it hard to get over the line and actually use one out shopping. Yesterday I met three wearing them , properly as far as I could tell.

So think I will next out, will save the respirators I got the day after the schools shut for the possible end of days scenario. Which in it self is stupid as I would be at higher than normal risk. Really should be doing so now, it’s a one chance only deal, this life business.
    Just hard to get past the idea of looking an ass :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Maybe the reduced level of business from drive-thru and delivery is not worth opening for.

but more likely that it not possible to keep staff 2m apart.

It’s weird how I find it hard to get over the line and actually use one out shopping. Yesterday I met three wearing them , properly as far as I could tell.

So think I will next out, will save the respirators I got the day after the schools shut for the possible end of days scenario. Which in it self is stupid as I would be at higher than normal risk. Really should be doing so now, it’s a one chance only deal, this life business.
    Just hard to get past the idea of looking an ass :o

Think of it this way: you’ll look like someone doing something to help stop the spread of the virus.
    I’ve been wearing one the last few weeks.

From the HSE
    Face masks
    Using masks is unlikely to be of any benefit if you are not sick.

Sick people will be advised by their doctor when to use a mask. Healthcare workers need masks and other personal protective equipment to protect them from infection during their work.
    Is their past performance before the outbreak reason enough not to trust them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'unlikely to be of any benefit if you are not sick.

Sick people will be advised by their doctor when to use a mask. Healthcare workers need masks and other personal protective equipment to protect them from infection'

I see the need to prioritize healthcare workers but using masks properly should be of use. I hardly need to point out the apparent contradiction in their above statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

saabsaab wrote: »
    'unlikely to be of any benefit if you are not sick.

Sick people will be advised by their doctor when to use a mask. Healthcare workers need masks and other personal protective equipment to protect them from infection'

I see the need to prioritize healthcare workers but using masks properly should be of use. I hardly need to point out the apparent contradiction in their above statement.

The difference is that healthcare workers have had training in how to fit, use and remove masks. And gloves for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

long queues outside supermarkets.
    Is it like that all the time these days? When is best to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

zell12 wrote: »

Long looking because they are all social distancing and only 100 allowed in at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Apparently it was particularly bad tonight. I have never been there when it's busy bar a 5 min wait to get in to Aldi. I have gone at different times but usually around 3 or late evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Generally in the evening between 7-10. Lots of people still mad to go shopping at the busiest times of the day and week. I'm sure some have to shop at those times, but I'd imagine a lot don't. In which case they are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The difference is that healthcare workers have had training in how to fit, use and remove masks. And gloves for that matter.

True, but I’m going to bet that’s not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

flazio wrote: »
    Surprised to see with McDonald's and Supermacs closed down the Burger King outlet in Applegreen is still going. Takeout only mind you.

Probably a little easier for them. Any time i have been in there (earlysih in the day) there has been one person in the kitchen area and one serving. There's at least 2 meters between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Think of it this way: you’ll look like someone doing something to help stop the spread of the virus.
    I’ve been wearing one the last few weeks.

Yes anyone wearing a mask looks like someone responsible who is doing their best not to spread or catch a deadly virus.
    Its a good look!

And no one will recognise you most likely too, so that's another thing.

Another tip - contact lense wearers your glasses provide better protection than contacts atm. Think of them like the PPE goggles protecting your eye area. Particularly important if you're working behind a checkout or anything.

As of last night there are now 4,273 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland, with 424 reported in the last 24 hours. In addition, there have been 22 further deaths.

508209.png

A review of the last 7 days shows an average r value of 1.105.

508210.png

Today marks day 8 since the new restrictions came in. The next 3-4 days will show how effective those measures have been. I'm hoping we start to see this drift closer to an r value of 1.

I made modifications to the next chart as we are no longer anywhere near hitting 1.2 or 1.3. It now shows where we'll be 14 days on if
    • we continue at the most recent rate (blue)
    • the rate at 1.1 (orange)
    • the rate at 1.05 (yellow)
    • the rate at 0.95 (grey)

508213.png

This shows that a small reduction in the r value of 0.05 (or 5%) can effectively reduce the total qty of infections by 50%.

If there is not a drop down within a region of 1.0 - 1.05 within the next few days, expect a series of further restrictions to be rolled out.

Alternatively, if we get to a rate of 0.95, I think you can expect things to shift towards what is being done in South Korea i.e. every person will get masks, they'll be readily available in shops, gloves and masks will be required by new legislation, restrictions will be eased and there will be a gradual return to normality with some general requirements and restrictions. The caveat to that is we would want to be holding at a rate of 0.95 or less until at least the end of April, if not the end of May.

Update to add qty of daily cases at the same r values. As JCX BXC pointed out, how I had presented it in the third chart wasn't realistic for a value below 1.

508235.png

I'll post a further update once Tuesday's figure come out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Today marks day 8 since the new restrictions came in. The next 3-4 days will show how effective those measures have been. I'm hoping we start to see this drift closer to an r value of 1.

Could the data be skewed a bit and we might not see the true effect of the new restrictions when all the results arrive back from the tests sent to be analysed in Germany?

Could the data be skewed a bit and we might not see the true effect of the new restrictions when all the results arrive back from the tests sent to be analysed in Germany?

Its possible, there are caveats all through the published data. Very little of it lines up perfectly in terms of dates collected vs published but either way, even if there are delays, you'll still be able to see which way the trend is going. Its one of the reasons I added a 7 day trend line to might first chart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I personally have three friends (two from the University) who have been submitted for testing as early as 16th March. 2 have been tested but no results yet. So stuff like that will come up as a case. Not sure if it will reflect that they are recovered too. One had mild to moderate symptoms and is likely. She's much better now too...but the other two it could be something else due to underlying stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I made modifications to the next chart as we are no longer anywhere near hitting 1.2 or 1.3. It now shows where we'll be 14 days on if
    • we continue at the most recent rate (blue)
    • the rate at 1.1 (orange)
    • the rate at 1.05 (yellow)
    • the rate at 0.95 (grey)
    508213.png

This shows that a small reduction in the r value of 0.05 (or 5%) can effectively reduce the total qty of infections by 50%.

Interesting chart, however how can the number of total cases fall? That's not possible.

Also you're assuming that 1). Everyone has been tested and has the results of their test and 2). That nobody will get the coronavirus if the r value is below 1?

Good for modelling case growth with the number of new cases, not so much for total cases.

The actual number of cases will be much greater than that.

Advertisement