Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ingalway wrote: »
    The docks testing place seems quite odd. A few days I went past there were 10-15 people all standing around the gate waiting to be called to be let in. Having that many people who are all at least showing signs of Covid 19, or have been in close contact with someone who has it, standing around on a public footpath does not seem to best way. I'm sure if you're feeling unwell the last thing you want is to be standing around with other sick people on the cold and windy docks, Lucky there has been no lashing rain recently. Other days there is absolutely nothing going on there.
    I know there has been a problem with testing kits availability but it does seem badly organised when they are testing.

If it's quiet there they should definitely be staggering appointments. Only the vulnerable and healthcare workers are being tested atm to my knowledge (open to correction). If that's the case however it would be paramount that those groups don't end up standing around in contact with patients who have the virus.

Might seem like it's less resources used to take a bunch of people together but if half of them are back the following week because the caught it in the queue it's a much greater waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I know that the apparent slow testing regime might have a big part to play in these numbers but I think it's encouraging that when the county by county numbers are published, we aren't seeing big jumps in Galway cases. I think 112 out of just under 5000 on Saturday
    night. Out of a population of approx 260,000, that seems reasonably well managed to my untrained eye. Worst case scenario would be double the posted numbers which would be around 250 cases. 1 for every 1 000 people
    Still, if we could just close all bridges across the Shannon and only let freight in by train, we've got this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

ratracer wrote: »
    Is there much testing being carried out in Galway at all? ... Is the Renmore test facility busy?

No. Almost zero activity there. Maybe it will ramp up if testing ramps up as minister and HSE have stated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

tmh106 wrote: »
    No. Almost zero activity there. Maybe it will ramp up if testing ramps up as minister and HSE have stated.

Maybe the whole thing is not as bad as it seems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Another place for Covid patients in MPH

The aim of the hub is to divert mildly symptomatic patients away from acute hospitals, by providing a facility where they can be assessed by a team of nurses, doctors and physiotherapists.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/coronavirus-community-assessment-hub-to-open-in-merlin-park/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm learning that most people I know are now not taking the restrictions serious. Those I thought would. Two colleagues heading off for trips to Connemara at the weekend (sure there's no one out there) and others going for spins (sure we will be in the car). Have you found most people going well outside their 2km for strolls or a different view? I've a definite bee in my bonnet about it because we have been observing them strictly and yes that's meant sacrifices, missing a bday today for example and doing the same few laps in the area but it's what we have to do. Do people think they're invincible or that the 'rules' don't apply? Drives me bonkers!

Today there were 36 deaths and 345 new cases confirmed in Ireland for a total of 5709 known cases

508699.png

Looking at the numbers for the last few days shows we are now steadily trending downwards in terms of r value. The last 7 days show an average value of 1.085. For context the 7 days prior to that had a value of 1.136.

508700.png

We are still definitely going to break 10,000 cases within the next 14 days with my guess being that we'll cross that mark on the 17th April, maybe the 18th, if the r value continues its current trajectory.

508701.png

The difference between the drop in the value can be best seen in the volume of daily reported cases, projected out for the next 2 weeks at the r values indicated below.

508702.png

Finally, I pulled together data from several countries to map out how we are doing in comparison to others up to yesterday. All countries mapped out below have somewhat started to stabilise based on the reported numbers, however there are a silly amount of caveats with the numbers being reported.

508703.png

To sum up, for Ireland, we are making headway and going in the right direction, albeit at a slow and steady pace. Given the stricter measures are showing to have an effect I think you can expect these measures to remain for quite some time. Best case scenario I would say, is Ireland moving to a South Korean model of containment once the daily case volume drops below a certain level, my guess would be 10 days of double digit case numbers. Its difficult to predict when that might be based on the current situation.

Next review will be Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Two colleagues heading off for trips to Connemara at the weekend (sure there's no one out there) and others going for spins (sure we will be in the car).

Could be costly if they get caught
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-minister-to-sign-regulations-giving-garda%C3%AD-powers-to-enforce-lockdown-1.4223043
    New laws signed in tonight by Minister Harris
    "
    Gardaí will now have the power to arrest and detain those who breach the restrictions. This includes those found exercising beyond 2km from their homes or those travelling for non-essential reasons.

Convictions will result in a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a fine of €2,500.
    "
    Only two roads from Galway City to Connemara, Gardai only need set up 2 honey traps the far side of Oughterard and Spiddal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Could be costly if they get caught
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-minister-to-sign-regulations-giving-garda%C3%AD-powers-to-enforce-lockdown-1.4223043
    New laws signed in tonight by Minister Harris
    "
    Gardaí will now have the power to arrest and detain those who breach the restrictions. This includes those found exercising beyond 2km from their homes or those travelling for non-essential reasons.

Convictions will result in a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a fine of €2,500.
    "
    Only two roads from Galway City to Connemara, Gardai only need set up 2 honey traps the far side of Oughterard and Spiddal.

I've been pulled this morning and yesterday morning going into Clifden.
    I've noticed a lot more cars on the road the past couple of days and reckon people are starting to move around more than they should alright.
    Fines are the only way to stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Roads and local supermarkets were fairly busy today

• Advertisement

I'm learning that most people I know are now not taking the restrictions serious. Those I thought would. Two colleagues heading off for trips to Connemara at the weekend (sure there's no one out there) and others going for spins (sure we will be in the car). Have you found most people going well outside their 2km for strolls or a different view? I've a definite bee in my bonnet about it because we have been observing them strictly and yes that's meant sacrifices, missing a bday today for example and doing the same few laps in the area but it's what we have to do. Do people think they're invincible or that the 'rules' don't apply? Drives me bonkers!

I would take great pleasure in seeing them being put in a cell rather than their trip. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I would take great pleasure in seeing them being put in a cell rather than their trip. Clowns.

They should make an example of someone, it might deter the other clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bullocks wrote: »
    I've been pulled this morning and yesterday morning going into Clifden.
    I've noticed a lot more cars on the road the past couple of days and reckon people are starting to move around more than they should alright.
    Fines are the only way to stop that.

It will be very difficult to get into/past Clifden this weekend. Clowns from the Pale took over Roundstone two weeks ago just after the first announcement.
    I've heard of lights going on in a couple of the holiday homes already though. Hopefully they'll get a visit and be made lock themselves in them until it's all over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

It will be very difficult to get into/past Clifden this weekend. Clowns from the Pale took over Roundstone two weeks ago just after the first announcement.
    I've heard of lights going on in a couple of the holiday homes already though. Hopefully they'll get a visit and be made lock themselves in them until it's all over.

Clowns are scary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

f56e1ced3d.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Now that the new laws are passed, hopefully the guards will enforce them without losing the run of themselves.

012cbe1ae3.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

"Garda Commissioner Drew Harris said if people are currently staying in their holiday homes that is now considered their place of residence and they should not leave during the current restrictions."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129218-coronavirus-legislation/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just got sent a photo from a friend who lives in town, loads with cans sitting in Eyre Square enjoying the sunshine.

Presumably gardaí are too busy doing checkpoints?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Plenty of public cctv in Eyre Square with live feed to garda control room

Should be all issued fines, no warnings or other soft handed messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

zell12 wrote: »
    Plenty of public cctv in Eyre Square with live feed to garda control room

Lovely, so choosing not to do anything then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just got sent a photo from a friend who lives in town, loads with cans sitting in Eyre Square enjoying the sunshine.

Presumably gardaí are too busy doing checkpoints?

Go on , post it here.

Go on , post it here.

That would be extremely unfair and unethical, thought more of you OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Left work at 3 , was 3 checkpoints on my way home,I've a hour commute to mayo,in total,about 12 gardai cars involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Left work at 3 , was 3 checkpoints on my way home,I've a hour commute to mayo,in total,about 12 gardai cars involved.

Where? I didn't see one on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

2 this morning on tuam road

What? What’s unfair and what in the hell would be unethical? Utter rubbish.

Name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Why, are you there?

What would be extremely unfair and unethical about posting a picture of Eyre Square on a nice sunny afternoon/evening?

• Advertisement

Naming and shaming someone not in the public eye on a Internet forum without consent is envision of privacy. Be nice it’s sunny out there ya might actually smile

Advertisement