Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Go on , post it here.

The joys of Snapchat means that not possible, however I appreciate your doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Naming and shaming someone not in the public eye on a Internet forum without consent is envision of privacy. Be nice it’s sunny out there ya might actually smile

They are out and about in a public place. How would that be an invasion of privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The joys of Snapchat means that not possible, however I appreciate your doubt.

Screenshotting broken on ya phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Screenshotting broken on ya phone?

No however it's considered rude! Plus, when I got the photo, I naturally didn't think "Oh I must screenshot this so that I can appease Mrs OBumble on boards!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

2 this morning on tuam road

I drove up the Tuam Road but I didn't see a checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Naming and shaming someone not in the public eye on a Internet forum without consent is envision of privacy. Be nice it’s sunny out there ya might actually smile

Taking a picture of a public space is completely acceptable, there is no reasonable expectation of anonymity in a public park. Not to mention its supposed to be empty of course

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Discodog wrote: »
    I drove up the Tuam Road but I didn't see a checkpoint.

Did you drive all the way to Tuam? And can I ask you sir, was this really an essential journey? :pac:

They are in a public place and hence have no right to privacy whatsoever. I could stand there taking their photo all day and put them wherever I wanted and not a thing they could do about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

They are in a public place and hence have no right to privacy whatsoever. I could stand there taking their photo all day and put them wherever I wanted and not a think they could do about it.

Everyone has the right to privacy no matter where they are. Yes there is a lot they can do about it. They can request to have the site take it down. Even though there most guidelines than laws 99% of websites adhere to them

Zzippy wrote: »
    Did you drive all the way to Tuam? And can I ask you sir, was this really an essential journey? :pac:

No only to Claregalway. Yes delivering shopping to an elderly person. Are the checkpoints on the major routes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    "Garda Commissioner Drew Harris said if people are currently staying in their holiday homes that is now considered their place of residence and they should not leave during the current restrictions."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129218-coronavirus-legislation/

Ha!
    I've been doing an online course in clairvoyacey during my self isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was a Garda van in my housing estate tonight on the Westside of the city. Several guards got out, put on high visibility gear and walked about. Didn't seem to be anyone about or any commotion. I wondered if they were checking for house parties maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

There was a Garda van in my housing estate tonight on the Westside of the city. Several guards got out, put on high visibility gear and walked about. Didn't seem to be anyone about or any commotion. I wondered if they were checking for house parties maybe.

Attempted burglary/car theft at the junction of shantall/maunsells rd, when they saw smokie they ran off in the direction of shantalla and I think, highfield.

Might be connected.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

any crime during this should have sentance doubled or shot either or

any crime during this should have sentance doubled or shot either or

What about white collar crime? Lot of that happening around

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What about white collar crime? Lot of that happening around

Oh do expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is for local issues, please use the general COVID forum for other stuff/chat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Debenhams closed.......for good......

What kind of impact is that going to have, and what if others follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

ForestFire wrote: »

funny the way its just for good, so that whole scenario in galway just gone, not even suspended for a few more weeks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Checkpoint outside an post tuam road since 2pm yesterday,.. I pass two.more but in mayo,also two speed gun cops today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Bredabe wrote: »
    Attempted burglary/car theft at the junction of shantall/maunsells rd, when they saw smokie they ran off in the direction of shantalla and I think, highfield.

Might be connected.

Now I've heard of a few attempted burglaries in Shantalla Rahoon in the last few weeks. A mate near Merlin woods caught some lad in the act of coming in the back door too!

Checkpoint outside an post tuam road since 2pm yesterday,.. I pass two.more but in mayo,also two speed gun cops today.

The Tuam Road one is still there on Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

yep father in law stopped an hour ago tuam road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ForestFire wrote: »

Probably have a knock on effect on others in the building. Unfortunately, thre will be many business around that won't reopen as the lack of money and fear of infection stay for some time after the crisis is over. Pubs will see a drop off in custom for some time. Maybe someplace will open a covid safe environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Came home from Oranmore to headford road at 8pm. There were checkpoints on the roundabout inbound from Dublin. Also on the dual carriageway approaching the roundabout from Oranmore/Roscam side and saw the one near the an post depot on the tuam road also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

saabsaab wrote: »
    . Pubs will see a drop off in custom for some time. Maybe someplace will open a covid safe environment?

There will be big queues the first night the pubs reopen

There will be big queues the first night the pubs reopen

Not without a vaccine there won't be

Not without a vaccine there won't be

The spread will have to be massively suppressed before they open so when they do it’s going to be a monster few days in the pubs without doubt.

The WhatsApp groups I’m in are full of talk of the sessions going to happen the minute they open, and these are people (myself included) who are serious about the current rules and respecting the lockdown very much not idiots flouting them.

I imagine all roads leading to Spiddal Clifden etc are also well covered by checkpoints - it would be a brave family car packed with kids and suitcases that would approach such a checkpoint :D

What sort of influx if any are people noticing in the likes of Clifden anyway? Is it pretty much locals only or have a number of people arrived at their holiday home?

• Advertisement

The spread will have to be massively suppressed before they open so when they do it’s going to be a monster few days in the pubs without doubt.

The WhatsApp groups I’m in are full of talk of the sessions going to happen the minute they open, and there are people who are serious about the current rules and respecting the lockdown very much not idiots flouting them.

Are we that reliant on the pub culture is gakway? Has the city nothing else to offer. You’d like to think as a society that we’ll have learnt some lessons from all of this. Alcohol is encouraged into us from a young age pushed by lobby groups with hidden agendas. “The minute they open” the ventures Association love this and encourage this Mentality

Advertisement