Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The city has nothing else to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

checkpoints on tuam road surreal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

checkpoints on tuam road surreal

Plenty out this morning Oranmore side and Clinic as well. pain when going to work. That Tuam road one seems permanent ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

brutes1 wrote: »
    Plenty out this morning Oranmore side and Clinic as well. pain when going to work. That Tuam road one seems permanent ?!

in normal times the tuam road is one of busiest roads in Ireland up to 30000 cars a day
    we live on it so weird its so quiet u get used to cars.
    only upside is you hear birds like never before.
    Bird up is an amazing app for recognising birds by call a hefty 99c is premium version well worth a go stay safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Are we that reliant on the pub culture is gakway? Has the city nothing else to offer. You’d like to think as a society that we’ll have learnt some lessons from all of this. Alcohol is encouraged into us from a young age pushed by lobby groups with hidden agendas. “The minute they open” the ventures Association love this and encourage this Mentality

In Ireland?

Yes, the pub is for many a very decent social outlet and will allow for many people who have not seen eachother in a long time to meet at the one place. People enjoy the pub, people like going there and having a good time.

I can't understand why you and others choose to make such an issue out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I moved non-pertinent post to a separate chat thread to keep signal in this thread high. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There will be big queues the first night the pubs reopen

I would guess there will be restrictions on how many people can be in a pub at any one time at first, before they can be fully open.

Pbus were first limited to 100 people before closing so would not be surprised if that was the case again when they re-open.

A sort of reverse pyramid of services and buildings opening opening first as they were the last to close. DIY & Hardware shops the first to open, hairdressers etc. Maybe construction where they can limit it to one person to a room on site etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are we that reliant on the pub culture is gakway? Has the city nothing else to offer. You’d like to think as a society that we’ll have learnt some lessons from all of this. Alcohol is encouraged into us from a young age pushed by lobby groups with hidden agendas. “The minute they open” the ventures Association love this and encourage this Mentality

Is Murty Rabbits going to be turned into an alcohol-free community centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is Murty Rabbits going to be turned into an alcohol-free community centre?

A cannabis café perhaps?

Wouldn't that be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

The spread will have to be massively suppressed before they open so when they do it’s going to be a monster few days in the pubs without doubt.

The WhatsApp groups I’m in are full of talk of the sessions going to happen the minute they open, and there are people who are serious about the current rules and respecting the lockdown very much not idiots flouting them.

If all your mates on WhatsApp groups are looking forward to when this virus is done is going to the pub, then they are most definitely idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i can't see how pubs will re open without a vaccine in play. Same for events
    it would be impossible to strictly adhere to social distancing.

i'd say normal retail will be open by June. Hotels...... well depends on the global situation at that point, probably some be open but limited capacity and their bar still shut. Restaurants ... could open but limited places for people to sit in however when you have business such as the one in salthill - if you give them an inch they will take a mile for maximum profit.

it will be difficult to lift the restrictions, at least while vaccine is not in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://youtu.be/s2YA3xw4dso

Easter Reflection from Bishop Kelly. It might not be for you, but family members may appreciate this being shared with them.

I for one cannot wait to get back to being able to go to the pub. Drinking cans/bottles at home is grand and I do that even when the pubs are open but you can't beat the pub and as someone who goes there at least once a week I do miss them.

Galway is one of the best places in the world to go out with some of the best pubs so even more so its a big deal on Galway.
    pure.conya wrote: »
    If all your mates on WhatsApp groups are looking forward to when this virus is done is going to the pub, then they are most definitely idiots

I'd say friends are a rarity for you with that attitude and mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any pub with a beer garden or outside seating will certainly be able to open

pure.conya and Fernando Muscular Sibilant, don't post in this thread until Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The virus modeller who informs government policy on this was on Prime Time last night. He said that we need to stop thinking about restrictions being lifted and start thinking about living differently, that without a fully effective vaccine with very wide take up and time to see it's effective we will not be going back to what was normal.

He said "in time" he would forsee limited return to work and school with social strict distancing rules in place. Two others mentioned the possibility of a "passort" like system where people who have had the virus could be tested for antibodies and then can get documentation proving they're safe to work and they could potentially freely return to work with the public.

They also said it's very unlikely pubs, clubs and entertainment venues will open at all before a vaccine has been administered across the population and has been given time to see it's working, they will be the last places to open.

There's a lot more to be considered really than pubs and amenities here really. If social distancing rules remain in place factories etc will have much slower production. The impact of that on supply chains for foods and medicines would worry me more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

The virus modeller who informs government policy on this was on Prime Time last night. He said that we need to stop thinking about restrictions being lifted and start thinking about living differently, that without a fully effective vaccine with very wide take up and time to see it's effective we will not be going back to what was normal.

He said "in time" he would forsee limited return to work and school with social strict distancing rules in place. Two others mentioned the possibility of a "passort" like system where people who have had the virus could be tested for antibodies and then can get documentation proving they're safe to work and they could potentially freely return to work with the public.

They also said it's very unlikely pubs, clubs and entertainment venues will open at all before a vaccine has been administered across the population and has been given time to see it's working, they will be the last places to open.

There's a lot more to be considered really than pubs and amenities here really. If social distancing rules remain in place factories etc will have much slower production. The impact of that on supply chains for foods and medicines would worry me more.

Is this the same modeller who predicted 15k cases pre the lockdown

I wouldnt trust modellers after Ferguson in UK

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/imperial-college-scientist-who-predicted-500k-coronavirus-deaths-in-uk-revises-to-20k-or-less

I wont go on but am a major sceptic on all this and would open up everything right now.

Very likely to be a 3 month phase in of normality in actual fact, sector by sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

There will be big queues the first night the pubs reopen
    Queues of the very foolhardy only. There will be a second round of infections of the idiots who went right to the pub. Darwin and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

biko wrote: »
    Leo announced it LIVE to the nation
    Woohoo three more weeks of holidays!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Extra reason for everyone to stay in this weekend. It seems UK reg cars have arrived into Ireland by Ferry the last few days and they're expected to be heading to holiday homes in coastal areas. That quite possibly means coming for us. If we are out mixing with them we will pay. It's more than infuriating, it's disgraceful.
    Infectious diseases expert Dr Paddy Mallon tweeted: ‘Ferries are allowed to bring people from UK to Ireland for hols this weekend. UK are swamped with #COVID19 – we are in lockdown. Makes no sense.’

https://extra.ie/2020/04/10/news/irish-news/ferry-passengers-lockdown-ireland?fbclid=IwAR0AVDbVQi3OPJzHvmluAuSkn9hhph4PPXBvXXLIxbBPBRb6CzAthJq5sOY

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I for one cannot wait to get back to being able to go to the pub. Drinking cans/bottles at home is grand and I do that even when the pubs are open but you can't beat the pub and as someone who goes there at least once a week I do miss them.

Galway is one of the best places in the world to go out with some of the best pubs so even more so its a big deal on Galway.

I'd say friends are a rarity for you with that attitude and mentality.

I have plenty of friends, none so ****ed that they counting down the seconds til they can get to the pub again though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Pen Rua wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/s2YA3xw4dso

Easter Reflection from Bishop Kelly. It might not be for you, but family members may appreciate this being shared with them.

Thank you for that. It was appreciated by my elderly Mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Discodog wrote: »
    The Tuam Road one is still there on Google Maps

How do you see it on Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

tmh106 wrote: »

I'm guessing it's from looking at the traffic. You can see a few spots where it looks like there may be checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Extra reason for everyone to stay in this weekend. It seems UK reg cars have arrived into Ireland by Ferry the last few days and they're expected to be heading to holiday homes in coastal areas. That quite possibly means coming for us. If we are out mixing with them we will pay. It's more than infuriating, it's disgraceful

Galway only has four Corrib crossings, how fortunate!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

tmh106 wrote: »

Make sure you select live traffic in the settings. A black line indicates stationary traffic. If it's unlikely to be a jam, especially with the roads being so quiet, then it may be a checkpoint.

Have a look at the main routes from Dublin.

Forewarning, layouts and scales adjusted for readability so some of the below will look slightly different to previous posts.

As reported earlier, there were 25 further deaths sadly and an additional 480 new cases reported today. Total per below

509073.png

The r value has been floating between 1.06 to 1.08 for the last 7 days with the average at 1.074.
    • 04-Apr 1.077
    • 05-Apr 1.085
    • 06-Apr 1.074
    • 07-Apr 1.064
    • 08-Apr 1.064
    • 09-Apr 1.082
    • 10-Apr 1.073

This is great in one sense in that it is stable and not increasing, but disappointing in another as it should be dropping lower by this stage.

509074.png

Due to this, my earlier prediction of us breaking the 10k mark on the 17th/18th looks wildly optimistic with that barrier being broken on Wed next (15th) at the current rate with the additional curveball of the German tests still waiting to show up. My guess is once those are added in, we are looking at crossing 10k on Monday 13th.

509075.png

As such, the graph below should be taken "as-is" because it's likely to be underestimating the impact the German tests are going to have. Once those figures are released, I'll plug them in and update everything.

509076.png

Lastly, someone asked a while back about a county-by-county breakdown for Connacht. I hope this is what they were looking for.

509078.png

To explain this a bit more, with the most recent figures from 8th April calculated against the 2016 population for each of the above counties, the rate of infection for every 10,000 people in each county stacks up like this

County Rate per 10k Population
    Mayo 12
    Leitrim 8
    Galway 6
    Sligo 5
    Roscommon 4

In the context of the national rates on a county basis, it breaks down as follows

County Rate per 10k
    Dublin 29
    Cavan 20
    Westmeath 17
    Wicklow 17
    Kildare 13
    Mayo 12
    Offaly 11
    Meath 11
    Monaghan 10
    Longford 10
    Kerry 10
    Kilkenny 10
    Limerick 10
    Tipperary 9
    Cork 9
    Louth 9
    Donegal 9
    Leitrim 8
    Galway 6
    Clare 6
    Laois 6
    Waterford 5
    Sligo 5
    Roscommon 4
    Carlow 3
    Wexford 2

Next update Monday or if the German test #'s are confirmed before, whichever comes first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Forewarning, layouts and scales adjusted for readability so some of the below will look slightly different to previous posts.

As reported earlier, there were 25 further deaths sadly and an additional 480 new cases reported today. Total per below

The r value has been floating between 1.06 to 1.08 for the last 7 days with the average at 1.074.

Great stuff Dacor, always an excellent read and putting everything in to real context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Great post DaCor. You break it down far more clearly than anything I’ve seen on national media.

Advertisement