Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Because its based on the rate of infection from the previous day.

Go on YouTube, look at the videos by 3blue1brown on the topic. Seriously

Didn’t Ferguson get his modelling completely wrong for Swine Flu, Bird Flu and Foot & Mouth?

I saw an article (think it might have been the Guardian) but I can’t find it now to post the link.

It doesn’t mean that his current modelling is incorrect but his past predictions could be cause for healthy critique

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Papers have an Ireland map of cases today showing clusters over the past seven weeks
    Barna-Oranmore arc
    Gort-Kinvara and southern/eastern commuter fringes arc
    Ballinasloe
    Portumna
    Tuam
    Shrule/Clonbur
    a handful in Conamara including Cleggan

It's gone everywhere in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Lot of racist comments on this thread, are the mods really going to let them slide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Lot of racist comments on this thread, are the mods really going to let them slide

Where are the racist comments? Have they been cleared up? But really racist comments against people committing racist acts.... Who would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A 'lot', feel free to quite all of them. As far as I can see there definitely aren't a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stick to reporting posts WIG, the mods will take required action.
    Don't derail this thread with accusations about fellow boardises.

obi604 wrote: »
    What a disgrace. I sincerely mean this - I wish they all died from corona virus. They are absolutely useless to society or the general world.

This racist Derogatory post has been up for over 12 hours

WIG, you just reported in 10 mins ago and I have actioned it now.

If you keep derailing thread I will ban you, stick to reporting posts.

Don't forget the others you spoke of, the 'lot'.

Don't forget the others you spoke of, the 'lot'.

I’ve been warned not to derailing thread and presume the mods will clean them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Any image of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Quote: obi604
    What a disgrace. I sincerely mean this - I wish they all died from corona virus. They are absolutely useless to society or the general world.

What racism? I don't see any reference to race. I do see ignorant, antisocial, destructive, violent behaviour being called a disgrace, and it is a disgrace. What useful contribution to society do you see such behaviour making?

Drop it now everyone please. Thread is derailed as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Saw a screenshot or a post that's being shared on Facebook. Its from a residents group in knocknarra. The posting says something like children playing with other children from a household with two confirmed infections shared greenery of the estate.

It was something like that anyways.

If it's true, there's two issues here.

1)its not only the family with confirmed cases at fault for allowing their children to mix with other children. If there's 2 confirmed cases and it's on Facebook surely the neighbours would know about it. Surely they have a responsibility to keep their children in from a potential exposure?

2) if it is true and they are flaunting the guidelines about the need not to mix with other households, how can they be trusted to do what's right and self isolate themselves for the required time?

They dismantled the test centre on the docks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Really, seems early. Where do they go now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

saabsaab wrote: »
    Really, seems early. Where do they go now?

Airport

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Meanwhile I know a nurse, who's in 14 isolation at home because she was in contact with a Covid patient & she can't get tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Discodog wrote: »
    Meanwhile I know a nurse, who's in 14 isolation at home because she was in contact with a Covid patient & she can't get tested.

There is ample testing capacity at the airport. If your friend doesn’t get called for testing early next week she should check with whoever was supposed to refer her for testing to confirm they have actually done so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There is ample testing capacity at the airport. If your friend doesn’t get called for testing early next week she should check with whoever was supposed to refer her for testing to confirm they have actually done so.

Is there public transport to airport? If you are symptomatic or suspecting you surely shouldn’t get on a bus? How does it work for those with no transport?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Is there public transport to airport? If you are symptomatic or suspecting you surely shouldn’t get on a bus? How does it work for those with no transport?

Fairly sure they said they'd collect people who had no transport.

inisboffin wrote: »

The testing that takes place at the airport is a drive through service. The client remains in their car and is tested through the window. If you are invited to be tested at the airport and don’t have transport you should say so and you will be referred to another testing centre.

Fairly sure they said they'd collect people who had no transport.

I have not heard of this happening. If anyone genuinely cannot travel arrangements can be made to be tested at home.

I have not heard of this happening. If anyone genuinely cannot travel arrangements can be made to be tested at home.

Could be that then, read something about it a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The US released a guideline for states around re-opening. Pubs are one of the things explicitly not allowed to open in the first couple of phases. When they do re-open it's with limited capacity and social distancing applying.

Mass gatherings and pubs should probably be a hard no until there's a vaccine or enough anti-body testing and temp checks to show there's very little threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They aren't going to test her. They just told her to self isolate.

Discodog wrote: »
    They aren't going to test her. They just told her to self isolate.

Apologies, I misunderstood your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

Any bicycle shops open in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

obi604 wrote: »
    Any bicycle shops open in Galway?

Westside Cycles looked open when I passed but that was a week ago.

Advertisement