Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Read what you wrote twice, still don’t see what point your trying to make

You've probably been locked inside too long. Perhaps get out for some fresh air and try reading it again.

My point in one sentence - It is not in the least bit surprising that there are more people out and about - the lockdown has gone on for weeks, people are naturally growing very weary of it, the unusually nice weather amplifies this, the perception out there (outside of boards.ie) is that we're over the hump and restrictions will soon begin to lift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You've probably been locked inside too long. Perhaps get out for some fresh air and try reading it again.

My point in one sentence - It is not in the least bit surprising that there are more people out and about - the lockdown has gone on for weeks, people are naturally growing very weary of it, the unusually nice weather amplifies this, the perception out there (outside of boards.ie) is that we're over the hump and restrictions will soon begin to lift.

We are a long way off coming out of the woods yet With 77 deaths today.

I think we should done something similar to Spain, very strict lock down to the point where ya need to log why your leaving your abode before you leave and be subject to questioning by law enforcement

We are a long way off coming out of the woods yet With 77 deaths today.

I think we should done something similar to Spain, very strict lock down to the point where ya need to log why your leaving your abode before you leave and be subject to questioning by law enforcement

That was never going to happen in Ireland. Our Gardai don’t police like that and they weren’t going to start now.

The death numbers, while a bit too high for comfort, are going to be mostly from those who were diagnosed weeks ago. The new case numbers are falling off, ICU numbers are apparently well under control, the R0 value is under 1 (although I must admit I’ve no idea how that’s calculated).

That was never going to happen in Ireland. Our Gardai don’t police like that and they weren’t going to start now.

The death numbers, while a bit too high for comfort, are going to be mostly from those who were diagnosed weeks ago. The new case numbers are falling off, ICU numbers are apparently well under control, the R0 value is under 1 (although I must admit I’ve no idea how that’s calculated).

Have u a link to the icu numbers been under control? Heard very different from a friend who works in ICU

Have u a link to the icu numbers been under control? Heard very different from a friend who works in ICU

Jesus man, hold on and I’ll google it for you :rolleyes: I’m simply relaying what I and everyone else has been hearing from Tony Holohan and Philip Nolan on their nightly news conference.

• Advertisement

Read what you wrote twice, still don’t see what point your trying to make

That he isn’t taking the situation seriously and is one of the people those of us making an effort are getting more and more annoyed with giving two fingers to the majorly of people keeping the rules and actually concerned about stopping the virus spreading.

The comment on 2k limit “give me a break” is sums it up. This is a serious rules being taken seriously by a lot of people. I haven’t been anymore than about 1.5km from the house for any reason for many weeks, don’t even leave to shop as it’s delivered. I am working full time from home as normal I should add so not just sitting around all day.

Now is the time to really get serious and enforce the lockdown even more as we are going in the right direction any let up and could mess everything up.

Jesus man, hold on and I’ll google it for you :rolleyes: I’m simply relaying what I and everyone else has been hearing from Tony Holohan and Philip Nolan on their nightly news conference.

Find it hard to believe that it’s true and sounds like fake news. Don’t worry there’s a lot of it out there

That he isn’t taking the situation seriously and is one of the people those of us making an effort are getting more and more ankoyed with giving two fingers to the majorly of people keeping the rules and actually concerned about stopping the virus spreading.

The comment on 2k limit “give me a break” is sums it up. This is a serious rules being taken seriously by a lot of people. I haven’t been anymore than about 1.5km from the house for any reason for many weeks, don’t even leave to shop as it’s delivered.

Now is the time to really get serious and enforce the lockdown even more as we are going in the right direction any let up and could mess everything up.

Nox, you're fooling no one. The lads in their lycra (of which I am not one) are winding you up because they're pushing that pub-opening date that bit further away for you.

Find it hard to believe that it’s true and sounds like fake news. Don’t worry there’s a lot of it out there

What is fake news? Are you suggesting Tony and Philip are relaying us fake news every night and we should instead rely on you, some anonymous guy on the internet with a "friend in ICU" to give us the real news?

Things are under control, that’s obvious but that’s even more of a reason to double our efforts to really drive out the virus.

• Advertisement

What is fake news? Are you suggesting Tony and Philip are relaying us fake news every night and we should instead rely on you, some anonymous guy on the internet with a "friend in ICU" to give us the real news?

No but I’m pretty sure you either heard what you wanted to hear to mis interrupted what the man inside the box was saying. If all the pressure was off the hospitals and they were suddenly working efficiently it’d make front pager news

No but I’m pretty sure you either heard what you wanted to hear to mis interrupted what the man inside the box was saying. If all the pressure was off the hospitals and they were suddenly working efficiently it’d make front pager news

By that logic, you are also only hearing what you want to hear. Negativity and gloom is as contagious as this virus.

I wish I could be bothered to dig out the recording, I'm sure its there on the RTE player archives, but on Thursday / Friday night last week, Philip Nolan went into great detail, accompanied with actual numbers and graphs, explaining how they felt it was under control, the R0 was < 1, ICU was well under capacity, etc.

Of course he did not say we are done or its all over and lets go to the pub now and celebrate, but he was very positive, and if I took a bit of positivity from it, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

the last few posts are starting to get tetchy, take a breath and bring more civility to the conversation please

By that logic, you are also only hearing what you want to hear. Negativity and gloom is as contagious as this virus.

I wish I could be bothered to dig out the recording......., explaining how they felt it was under control,

it.

Would you say 77 deaths in one day is under control or the debacle that’s going on with the PPE

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Arghus wrote: »
    Shop Street pretty full with people today, can be seen on the claddagh jewellers webcam.

Hopefully our complacency won't cost us.

Did you take a screenshot? It looks pretty empty now.

Would you say 77 deaths in one day is under control or the debacle that’s going on with the PPE

While it’s very sad the 77 number wasn’t in one day some of the deaths were from other days but reported today. Fergal Bowers pointed this out.

A screenshot is very different thing to a photo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't empty at 11 15 at night.

You do know that those 77 did not die in the last 24 hours?

You do know that those 77 did not die in the last 24 hours?

Your referring to the lag time in the process that each corners office uses to notify the Department of health of deaths. Symantec’s. It’s an antiquated system that Harris Houlahan and co-have been using to suit their narratives

• Advertisement

Yep, I agree it is semantics and those poor 77 souls lost their lives no matter which way you slice it.

But you did use that number in your last post to suit your own argument, after only talking about "fake news" in your previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I worry about the mental well being of some of the posters here. Especially those who feel that they must shoot down any posts which show any signs of hope or optimism.
    Hope will not be the death of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

flazio wrote: »
    I worry about the mental well being of some of the posters here. Especially those who feel that they must shoot down any posts which show any signs of hope or optimism.
    Hope will not be the death of us.

Many medical people are expressing concern about mental health. There is a element who will be too scared to go out when the restrictions are lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

Wft ? I have seen zero evidence that covid 19 is rampant in Ireland, essentially not in the west of Ireland

Long_Wave wrote: »
    Wft ? I have seen zero evidence that covid 19 is rampant in Ireland, essentially not in the west of Ireland

What’s the death total?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Long_Wave wrote: »
    I have seen zero evidence that covid 19 is rampant in Ireland, essentially not in the west of Ireland
    I presume that you meant to say especially not in the West Of Ireland and you'd be right.

If we look at DaCor's numbers, (taking Mayo out which seems to be an anomaly for some reason), the West Of Ireland counties (including Clare) are in the bottom ten of cases per capita.

serfboard wrote: »
    I presume that you meant to say especially not in the West Of Ireland and you'd be right.

If we look at DaCor's numbers, (taking Mayo out which seems to be an anomaly for some reason), the West Of Ireland counties (including Clare) are in the bottom ten of cases per capita.

You can’t take a county in the west of Ireland out of the figures for the west. That’s called Skewering the stats which doesn’t help anyone or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

flazio wrote: »
    Pubs might well need to introduce a restaurant style table reservation system in order to open again.
    I've seen a good analogy shared on Facebook which goes along the lines that the moment the parachute begins to control your descent is not the time to take the parachute off.

There are some pictures out of how some of the countries in Asia are handling the reopening of restaurants. They put dividers up on every table. You are blocked off from the people in front of you and beside you. So that would eliminate the social aspect but I guess at least it would keep those who have built up a dependence on alcohol ticking over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    There are some pictures out of how some of the countries in Asia are handling the reopening of restaurants. They put dividers up on every table. You are blocked off from the people in front of you and beside you. So that would eliminate the social aspect but I guess at least it would keep those who have built up a dependence on alcohol ticking over.

May well be the starting point for reopening... all not very workable in the end though how ill people meet friends or potential future partners with social distancing.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think the question to answer can these restaurants/pubs really stay afloat with the reduced turnover?? Let alone the expenses to abide by new regulations and the huge losses they've already incurred.

Fair deuce to those with the deep pockets or with vision enough to pivot and adapt... I'm sure there will be some success stories there. But on the whole I'd expect a massive contraction in options as most go under administration.

Advertisement