Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

brutes1 wrote: »
    May well be the starting point for reopening... all not very workable in the end though how ill people meet friends or potential future partners with social distancing.......

I don't think making friends or getting the ride are the most pressing things for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

They are getting paint for people......I'm sure they give out a box a screws.

They won’t and shouldn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

They won’t and shouldn’t

Ok. They'll hand out bucket of paint but not a box of screws. You right I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They won’t and shouldn’t

Why shouldn't they?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why shouldn't they?

Eh rules and are there for a reason,..... rules protect our general safety, and ensure our rights as citizens against abuses by other people and by organizations. This includes our health and well being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/survey-shows-galways-incidence-rate-of-covid-19-remains-low
    A newly published survey shows Galway’s incidence rate of COVID 19 remains low.

Galway has recorded an incidence rate of 114, compared to 569 for Dublin per 100,000 in the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

You can’t take a county in the west of Ireland out of the figures for the west. That’s called Skewering the stats which doesn’t help anyone or anything
    No less representative than whatever it is that you are claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

biko wrote: »

Maybe we should of followed Finland's example & sealed off the capital. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Discodog wrote: »
    Maybe we should of followed Finland's example & sealed off the capital. :)

:)
    That's as much to do with infrastructure there (as in 'all roads lead to' etc). For here so many non Dubs returned home etc, and also those who had flats in Dublin but 'from' elsewhere who would rather take their chances with C19 vs deal with moving back in to parents houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I already suggested blowing up all the bridges across the Shannon. (except railway for freight)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I might be missing something but it seems that there were no new cases of coronavirus confirmed in Galway today. So that's nice.

EDIT: I'm just basing that off what's up on the government website at the moment. Maybe it'll be changed later but they seem to have updated some figures on there and Galway is still listed as having 294 cases as I'm typing this.

Easing the lockdown outside the pale quicker than inside it has to be a consideration. It was even mentioned by a fairly senior doc on the radio. There would have to be 24/7 road blocks on all roads out of Dublin though and zero travel allowed into or out bar deliveries etc.

Easing the lockdown outside the pale quicker than inside it has to be a consideration. It was even mentioned by a fairly senior doc on the radio. There would have to be 24/7 road blocks on all roads out of Dublin though and zero travel allowed into or out bar deliveries etc.

That'll be a hard one with 'borders'. 'Beyond The Pale' is not so easy to map anymore with people commuting from other counties.

Eh rules and are there for a reason,..... rules protect our general safety, and ensure our rights as citizens against abuses by other people and by organizations. This includes our health and well being.

Good rules are there to protect people. Bad rules are either an oversight due to a glitch, or need to be questioned. I cannot see why it's ok to buy a box of screws from Mr Price no problem, or be handed out paint, yet no screws.

These 'technicalities' preventing one thing being sold but not another make people question the more important rules. Either a limited amount of sales can be pick up or they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The M50. Nobody allowed out beyond it.

I can't see anything bar a blanket approach being viable.

Mayo probably has a worst "curve" over the last fortnight than Dublin so would you try to keep Mayo people in lockdown but ease restrictions in the rest of Connacht?

The infected numbers seem to be moving the right way and hopefully not having to deal with a testing backlog means they can continue to improve. People just have to be patient for a while longer.

I miss Supermacs. Haven't gone to one in bloody ages but now that the option isn't there I really want a Smokey Bacon Burger.

I'm sure the Germans have a word for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Newspaper mentioned 8 times confirmed rate, most symptoms are mild and do not fit narrow testing criteria
    28/03
    IRISH-MAIL-ON-SUNDAY-PAGE-ONE-29.3.20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

flazio wrote: »
    The M50. Nobody allowed out beyond it.

The Dubs will be delighted with that....keep all the culchies out. So many left before lockdown they'd be unable to return.

Keep it local folks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I don't think making friends or getting the ride are the most pressing things for a while.

Well Social distancing can't last forever or it will be the end of humanity ..

Just not workable in medium term and businesses will go bananas or bust trying to organise around it

Galway local economy is going to take a right hit

inisboffin wrote: »
    Good rules are there to protect people. Bad rules are either an oversight due to a glitch, or need to be questioned. I cannot see why it's ok to buy a box of screws from Mr Price no problem, or be handed out paint, yet no screws.

These 'technicalities' preventing one thing being sold but not another make people question the more important rules. Either a limited amount of sales can be pick up or they can't.

Weather we deem them important or not is pointless, we don’t set them out. Little point on questioning them on here. Try your local TD or CC but don’t expect much from that bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

youngrun wrote: »
    Well Social distancing can't last forever or it will be the end of humanity ..

Just not workable in medium term and businesses will go bananas or bust trying to organise around it

Galway local economy is going to take a right hit

With the amount of medical device companies in Galway alongside all the indirect companies that supply them I think Galway will be in a much better place then most counties.

Once hospitals begin regular surgeries again those companies will return to a reasonable level of manufacturing and that will have a chain reaction in boosting our economy.

Items like the races and all our other festivals will easily return next year as well as the atmosphere in Galway for these events is nearly more popular then the avent itself.

Worst case we practice social distancing till the vaccine comes which will hopefully be within a year based on the money being pumped into the research.

Bunch of posts moved into here from the Looking thread as they were offtopic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

grbear wrote: »
    I miss Supermacs. Haven't gone to one in bloody ages but now that the option isn't there I really want a Smokey Bacon Burger.

I'm sure the Germans have a word for that.

Good news for you, they're offering a limited service from today. Check out statement on Galway Advertiser facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Good news for you, they're offering a limited service from today. Check out statement on Galway Advertiser facebook page.
    The Mrs will be unreasonably pleased by this :D
    I do like that one type of chicken burger they do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Supermacs is to re-open some services such as drive-thru and delivery from today. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0422/1133032-supermacs/

I presume if Supermacs are given licence to re-open, others such as McDonalds and KFC can operate a drive thru service also?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

FitzShane wrote: »
    Supermacs is to re-open some services such as drive-thru and delivery from today. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0422/1133032-supermacs/

I presume if Supermacs are given licence to re-open, others such as McDonalds and KFC can operate a drive thru service also?

All of the above brands closed by their own choice

They could legally have stayed open all along & can reopen whenever they want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

grbear wrote: »
    I can't see anything bar a blanket approach being viable.

Mayo probably has a worst "curve" over the last fortnight than Dublin so would you try to keep Mayo people in lockdown but ease restrictions in the rest of Connacht?

The infected numbers seem to be moving the right way and hopefully not having to deal with a testing backlog means they can continue to improve. People just have to be patient for a while longer.

A perfect excuse to keep them out!! New border walls in the Headford / Tuam roads! Down here stealing our jobs and skulking back up to Mayo every day......... :)

• Advertisement

I guess tuning in to watch Easter Mass on the laptop paid off.

On a serious note I'm sure we'll see a bunch of closed businesses start to open up to a limited degree over the next week or so as they have had time to come up with measures to allow some people go back to work in a safe manner.

Advertisement