Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

zell12 wrote: »
    Newspaper mentioned 8 times confirmed rate, most symptoms are mild and do not fit narrow testing criteria
    28/03
    I wouldn't even wipe my arse with the Daily Mail. Disgusting media outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

flazio wrote: »

Strong words in the middle of an international toilet roll crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.nuigalway.ie/corona-study/

NUI Galway have published a Phase 2 questionaire for their coronavirus study.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FitzShane wrote: »

I presume if Supermacs are given licence to re-open, others such as McDonalds and KFC can operate a drive thru service also?

There is no such thing as a license to reopen.

Several places have traded throughout on a takeaway basis. Many other are reopening this week.

All that any have go do is comply with distancing guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

flazio wrote: »

Health board have said today that up to 50% of the population could now have had the Corona Virus with just mild to no symptoms copy link can't get it to work

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/between-30-and-50-of-people-could-have-covid-19-without-realising-it-995410.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Health board have said today that up to 50% of the population could now have had the Corona Virus with just mild to no symptoms copy link can't get it to work

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/between-30-and-50-of-people-could-have-covid-19-without-realising-it-995410.html

Not sure if they are saying that that percentage could "have had it ".

Might they not be saying that that percentage (between 30 and 50) might account for the proportion of all those who had it ,whether symptomatic or non symptomatic?

Perhaps they are just saying that the number of those infected is up to double what has been estimated up to now.

Strange how I got your link to work just by quoting your post but it doesn't work directly on your post....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wonder if we'll ever know who has had it and who has not.

A scientist on the HSE briefing tonight said that the antibody tests currently available are not very accurate. Their accuracy level would only let them "rule in" and not "rule out", so a negative antibody test doesn't mean anything really as it maybe negative or it may just be inaccurate.

The roadworks on Shop St, outside the former Taffe's shop, started again yesterday (Monday) complete with signs about social distancing on building sites, positioned for the general public to see:

510601.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A scientist on the HSE briefing tonight said that the antibody tests currently available are not very accurate. Their accuracy level would only let them "rule in" and not "rule out", so a negative antibody test doesn't mean anything really as it maybe negative or it may just be inaccurate.

Isn't that a bit like the TB test (going for green card to US etc)? Was always confused by that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is this real?

It is saw it my self

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

It is saw it my self

I’m embarrassed for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hopefully! I'm hoping I had it without realising but also trying to act like I haven't had it but everyone I see currently does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lookit, those Galway waistlines won't expand by themselves

Supermacs should consider investing in rollerskating servers, whilst a cinema could erect an outdoor movie screen in that empty car park

zell12 wrote: »
    Supermacs should consider investing in rollerskating servers, whilst a cinema could erect an outdoor movie screen in that empty car park

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I’m embarrassed for Galway

Ireland shuts down and people asked not to leave their home in order to save life's. Ah sure supermacs drive thru is open let's go there... Every unnecessary journey is a further risk to someone's life... How is that so difficult for some to understand.

#only12daystoeaseofrestrictions

Edit: its not just Galway, remember when McDonald's announced they were closing and the guards at to go to one of the Dublin branches to close them down due to traffic issues around the drive thru, also in Cork last week one of the take aways had to shut again after a few hours due to queues

In fairness the queue for that drive through can be maybe a 1/3 of that on occasion during normal times so its not that surprising. People headed out not expecting it to be long but sure might as well queue when they went to the trouble of going.

As for risk, if you drive to a drive though and dont get out the risk is basically zero so I wouldn't be getting too worried about that aspect in comparison with the prom, parks etc where there is real risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Master stroke in business acumen by Pat MacDonagh and all the fist waving on here and elsewhere is giving him exactly what he wants - free publicity :D

Galway people like supermacs. This is not news. What harm is doing really, other than expanding their own waistlines, they're all sitting in their own cars. Some people won't be happy until everyone else is as miserable as they are.

Try taking something positive out of it perhaps? A local business, who's owner has given a lot to the city, is doing well in this crisis.

As for risk, if you drive to a drive though and dont get out the risk is basically zero so I wouldn't be getting too worried about that aspect in comparison with the prom, parks etc where there is real risk.

I'd say the risk is much higher than a walk in the park. You have to be at arms reach of the person handing out the food. You're touching packing that they've just been handling. A lot of people will then also eat the Supermacs with their hands...

If you go for a walk in the park, woods etc you can easily avoid touching any surfaces and getting within 2m of anyone. The prom is a bit higher risk as it's a very defined path and your passing space could be compromised.

• Advertisement

ChewyLouie wrote: »

If you go for a walk in the park, woods etc you can easily avoid touching any surfaces and getting within 2m of anyone. The prom is a bit higher risk as it's a very defined path and your passing space could be compromised.

It wasn't a walk in the park it was people hanging around sunbathing etc which is what has happened in green areas and parks that are open.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    A local business, who's owner has given a lot to the city, is doing well in this crisis.

What has he given to the city, except for obesity, heart disease and a venue for students to riot in after the clubs close?

What has he given to the city, except for obesity, heart disease and a venue for students to riot in after the clubs close?

A good demonstration of how little you know.

The amount of people he employs alone is important (he owns more than supermacs restaurants too) never mind the rest like millions and millions of euro in sponsorship across many different things in Galway for decades.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

inisboffin wrote: »
    Isn't that a bit like the TB test (going for green card to US etc)? Was always confused by that.

Yes, that was said a while ago, too - the tests can only detect virus over a certain threshold. If the levels are below that, it cannot be detected and the test comes back negative. Not being able to detect something and something not being there are two very different things. Just like when you mislay your keys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Clueless. :rolleyes:

A good demonstration of how little you know.

The amount of people he employs alone is important (he owns more than supermacs restaurants too) never mind the rest like millions and millions of euro in sponsorship across many different things in Galway for decades.

Name some of those sponsorships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Galway GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Name some of those sponsorships.

Hurling, camogie, rowing, Connacht Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The futuristic socially distant movie venue and fast food eaterie :pac:
    Drive-in-movie-theater-with-cars.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

There’s 3 or 4 posters on this thread that are the most negative posters on the whole forum . They must get up in the morning and say I will try and beat yesterday for being miserable . Seen them on loads of different threads and there as miserable on each . Why I don’t bother posting anymore .

Advertisement