Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

if you can't post civilly don't post at all.

Posts deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's madness, but where's the harm in getting a drive through? Are you saying it's more risky than if they walked into a chipper or Chinese for collection?

Some people love to get outraged, they really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Great BBQ weather recently but definitely going to hit up a Supermacs delivery on the next damp evening, it's been too long.
    spurshero wrote: »
    There’s 3 or 4 posters on this thread that are the most negative posters on the whole forum . They must get up in the morning and say I will try and beat yesterday for being miserable . Seen them on loads of different threads and there as miserable on each . Why I don’t bother posting anymore .

This lad, back for another ironic moan! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Pat Mcdonagh is worth million, he should have stayed closed and let the smaller chippers/takeaways make a few euro, he’ll have his day again

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Pat Mcdonagh is worth million, he should have stayed closed and let the smaller chippers/takeaways make a few euro, he’ll have his day again

Jaysus I hope you dont run a business.

• Advertisement

With that great selection we have in Galway yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

What has he given to the city, except for obesity, heart disease and a venue for students to riot in after the clubs close?

He also owns a hotel in Loughrea.......where people work....that must generate money in the area.

He's a Galway man and I can't remember the Galway jersey without Supermacs across it.

You're talking non-sense. Let not knock one of our own.

Tell that to all the farmers supplying his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

New Home wrote: »
    Yes, that was said a while ago, too - the tests can only detect virus over a certain threshold. If the levels are below that, it cannot be detected and the test comes back negative. Not being able to detect something and something not being there are two very different things. Just like when you mislay your keys. :)

Yes this. So in order for serious decisions to be based on these tests, a more accurate ones need to be developed. More tests for tests. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Indeed. And depending on the type of test, their accuracy varies A LOT. I remember reading a while back that some were only 70% accurate. Scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Tell that to all the farmers supplying his business.

And the drinks suppliers, cleaning product suppliers etc. I'd love to know how much the people who knock him contribute to the city via employment and business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I have no issue with supermacs, they have the same right as anyone else to open if they meet the guidelines.

My issue is people making an unnecessary journey to get to the drive thru. You'd want to be very nieve to think all those cars are passing by are on a critical trip.

I have no issue with supermacs, they have the same right as anyone else to open if they meet the guidelines.

My issue is people making an unnecessary journey to get to the drive thru. You'd want to be very nieve to think all those cars are passing by are on a critical trip.

I could be wrong but my understanding is the 2km restriction doesn't apply to food. If you have to go to supermarket or pick up food.

So could the Gardai do anything? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I could be wrong but my understanding is the 2km restriction doesn't apply to food. If you have to go to supermarket or pick up food.

Yep you are correct the 2km does not apply to getting food

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Yep you are correct the 2km does not apply to getting food

Or wine, was doing my forthnightly shopping trip and woman in front of me had a single bottle of wine and a pack of condoms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

. You'd want to be very nieve to think all those cars are passing by are on a critical trip.

It's a drivethru. In a shopping centre carpark. People drive there to it to get "food". I don't think we'll see any of them on Crimecall any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Or wine, was doing my forthnightly shopping trip and woman in front of me had a single bottle of wine and a pack of condoms

lol :pac:

Going shops/takeaways is perfectly in the regulations. I don't know how many times it's been said "2km for exercise yet people still can't get it into their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Zero cases on Aran Islands, the locals not letting anyone in either, a voted decision I believe.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Going shops/takeaways is perfectly in the regulations. I don't know how many times it's been said "2km for exercise yet people still can't get it into their heads.

Oh I fully get it, they also ask only to do so when necessary, so many people just don't get it.

Of course you can go above your 2km for food and medicines but it should be when absolutely necessary, its really not that complicated.

• Advertisement

The gardai shouldn't have to do anything, people should have some basic cop on and personal responsibility.

Something like 25% of cases are health workers who contracted the virus simply from saving other peoples lives. All were being asked to do is stay inside and help prevent an influx of cases in the hospitals. We should all do our bit and stay home where possible. The message is really so simple "stay inside and save life's".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Oh I fully get it, they also ask only to do so when necessary, so many people just don't get it.

Of course you can go above your 2km for food and medicines but it should be when absolutely necessary, its really not that complicated.

People have to eat, what's the difference between going to a drive thru or going to the supermarket to buy dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Zero cases on Aran Islands, the locals not letting anyone in either, a voted decision I believe.

but is the pub open then as a result? :D

Tourists not allowed. But people with Island families definitely going back and forth for shops, doc appointments etc. A few tested as well. Some people brought in workers too and got criticism for it. It's great that they have no cases.

So if a resident has to go to mainland for work or an appointment, they no allowed back?? 14 days in isolation??

With the 2km restriction nobody bar residents could go out there.

The gardai shouldn't have to do anything, people should have some basic cop on and personal responsibility.

Something like 25% of cases are health workers who contracted the virus simply from saving other peoples lives. All were being asked to do is stay inside and help prevent an influx of cases in the hospitals. We should all do our bit and stay home where possible. The message is really so simple "stay inside and save life's".

I totally agree. But lots of people don't cook and hopped straight onto the car when they heard a fast food place was open. Look around obese people everywhere.....too lazy to cook. Living on frozen pizza for last few weeks.

But it's no worse than going to Tesco for your frozen pizza. Safety wise. IMO.

They should have allowed food delivery only and no pick ups.

So if a resident has to go to mainland for work or an appointment, they no allowed back?? 14 days in isolation??

With the 2km restriction nobody bar residents could go out there.

No, people are going in and out but only when 'necessary'. Most are staying put bar appointments etc it seems, but like anywhere maybe a couple bend the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They should have allowed food delivery only and no pick ups.

How well do you reckon the Deliveroo guys are doing social distancing?

• Advertisement

How well do you reckon the Deliveroo guys are doing social distancing?

Anyone who has seen them out can answer that question for themselves. Let's just say I collect myself, but the takeaway novelty wore off early on.

Advertisement