Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

How well do you reckon the Deliveroo guys are doing social distancing?

Badly I imagine. I certainly wouldn't order food for delivery ATM.

If the authorities don't want people out and about then don't allow pick-ups.

But let the authorities not be moaning about increased activities/travelling because businesses like Supermacs will re-open if allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Anyone who has seen them out can answer that question for themselves. Let's just say I collect myself, but the takeaway novelty wore off early on.

Some are very strict about it, in fairness.

Others, I just assume are living in the same house anyways. But it must be a large house.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Community Call Helpline is here for you or anyone you may know who needs:

Food, household items, fuel, medications collected or delivered
    Someone to talk to or other social supports
    Meals delivery
    Response to Garda related concerns
    Help with other medical or health needs

https://www.galwaycity.ie/news/1605/59/Galway-City-Community-Call-Helpline/d,News%20Detail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Some are very strict about it, in fairness.

Others, I just assume are living in the same house anyways. But it must be a large house.

Just before the 'phase 2' of Lockdown I observed them in Dublin, and thought it to be an anomaly. But no. And there were too many gathered to be from the one house. I am glad to hear that some are strict, but from what I observed it's a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Health board have said today that up to 50% of the population could now have had the Corona Virus with just mild to no symptoms copy link can't get it to work

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/between-30-and-50-of-people-could-have-covid-19-without-realising-it-995410.html
    This doesn't seem like a wise thing to say if they want people to be sensible and exercise precautions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I look at it all in terms of risk. The primary risk I have to take is to do the shop once a week for my family. I wear a mask and gloves, we wipe down everything, then shower afterward. With exercising outside there is a risk especially on a weekend or other busy time the risk may be nearly equal to doing the shop. To me that doesn't make sense so I wouldn't do it. However early on the weekdays the risk is maybe 1/10 or 1/5 that of my weekly shop depending how unlucky you are with people coming into close contact.

In regards to takeaways there is a risk sure. To keep that risk small we only order things that can be placed in the oven.... no fresh food like salads, sandwiches, or sushi. But a pizza, spice bag, chinese, or indian can all be transferred out of their containers and thrown in an oven for 10 mins. Not risk free, but for our mental wellbeing having a treat every 2 or 3 weeks probably isn't that much more risky than going for a weekday walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Ficheall wrote: »
    This doesn't seem like a wise thing to say if they want people to be sensible and exercise precautions..
    But they didn't say that.
    They didn't claim that half of the population could have been infected.

There were some interesting antibody test results out of NY last night,I think the figure of a 21% infection rate for the City was quoted.

That figure whilst high is not high enough to provide any reason to believe a second wave might be any way less serious than the ongoing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

.... no fresh food like salads, sandwiches, or sushi. But a pizza, spice bag, chinese, or indian can all be transferred out of their containers and thrown in an oven for 10 mins. Not risk free, but for our mental wellbeing having a treat every 2 or 3 weeks probably isn't that much more risky than going for a weekday walk.

I miss Sushi :(

What is a spice bag? What's in it?

I look at it all in terms of risk. The primary risk I have to take is to do the shop once a week for my family. I wear a mask and gloves, we wipe down everything, then shower afterward. With exercising outside there is a risk especially on a weekend or other busy time the risk may be nearly equal to doing the shop. To me that doesn't make sense so I wouldn't do it. However early on the weekdays the risk is maybe 1/10 or 1/5 that of my weekly shop depending how unlucky you are with people coming into close contact.

In regards to takeaways there is a risk sure. To keep that risk small we only order things that can be placed in the oven.... no fresh food like salads, sandwiches, or sushi. But a pizza, spice bag, chinese, or indian can all be transferred out of their containers and thrown in an oven for 10 mins. Not risk free, but for our mental wellbeing having a treat every 2 or 3 weeks probably isn't that much more risky than going for a weekday walk.

Agree with all of this except the risk you quote for a walk/exercise when no surfaces are touched. There is fresh air circulating constantly outside, and there's a huge scale between walking constantly beside people who are less than 2 m away from you and going for a jog on a boreen where you meet nobody, or a cycle where you pass people far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

inisboffin wrote: »
    Agree with all of this except the risk you quote for a walk/exercise when no surfaces are touched. There is fresh air circulating constantly outside, and there's a huge scale between walking constantly beside people who are less than 2 m away from you and going for a jog on a boreen where you meet nobody, or a cycle where you pass people far away.

In the early days when we could all go to the prom I became acutely aware of being downstream of someone in a windy spot and remember thinking 2 meters wouldn't be enough there.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-running-or-cycling-actually-risks-for-spreading-covid-19/

Maybe those Belgian lads got in my head. Sure passing people on the streets is a lot less risky than touching things in a shop. However when I'm trying to socially distance but still smell their perfume or cigarette it makes you wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Seen an ice-cream van pull outside aldi to serve the masses in the que, no shame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

People have to eat, what's the difference between going to a drive thru or going to the supermarket to buy dinner?

If you look at it on a single day basis, they are both equal.

However, most people have adapted to a single shop each week, maybe 2 shops. That's 2 outings per week.

If your going to a drive thru & supermarket then your probably doing 8 trips or more, that's an increase of 400% on unnecessary trips. Remember the message is stay at home. If you want take away use the delivery options.

I have no issue locals or people using a take away / drive thru if its part of there journey.

Stay Home Save Lifes

In the early days when we could all go to the prom I became acutely aware of being downstream of someone in a windy spot and remember thinking 2 meters wouldn't be enough there.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-running-or-cycling-actually-risks-for-spreading-covid-19/

Maybe those Belgian lads got in my head. Sure passing people on the streets is a lot less risky than touching things in a shop. However when I'm trying to socially distance but still smell their perfume or cigarette it makes you wonder.

Yes agreed that it's definitely a scale. But for me, my exercise route is not populated and I rarely pass within 10 feet of people for the usual one. It's definitely a grade of risk, so that's why I questioned the comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Noticed people have gotten very lax around Knocknacarra over the last week. Lots of kids being allowed out to play together, sometimes with groups of parent standing chatting.

Load more traffic compared to a few weeks ago, making it difficult to keep distance on walks as you can't step out on the road or cross as easily.

Spotted 12 cars at one point parked at the gate for Cappagh Park, loads of people inside playing, walking, chatting, running. Closure ignored now by most. (I'd rather see it open but let's all play by the same restrictions!)

There's even a group of about 15 lads gone drinking down at Rusheen Bay / Barna Woods, openly carrying boxes of bottles and some even getting dropped off in taxis!

I'm not one for squinting out windows or reporting people but it's pretty disheartening when trying to stick to the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

“Then he basically told everyone to cure coronavirus they need to stick a torch up their bum hole and inject themselves with Toilet Duck.”
    EWYKpKiWsAAkmkD?format=jpg&name=small

This caused me to laugh for ages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/16-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-galway/

There are 16 new cases of COVID-19 in Galway
    This brings to 315 the total number of confirmed cases in Galway to date
    Galway remains at the lower end of the number of cases in the country

biko wrote: »
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/16-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-galway/

There are 16 new cases of COVID-19 in Galway
    This brings to 315 the total number of confirmed cases in Galway to date
    Galway remains at the lower end of the number of cases in the country

Doesn’t mean we are immune or won’t spread like wildfire, stay at home and protect the vulnerable

Almost 800 people have died in the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Salthill prom and beaches was a joke today.
    I think the Gardaí/ City Council should close beaches until further notice.
    They did it in Australia and they have a fraction of the cases we have
    People have to wake up and stay at home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

ted2767 wrote: »
    I think the GardaCity Council should close beaches until further notice.

Think people have had enough now of limiting lives and need to get back to work education and life. Plenty of help in the health services and elsewhere to keep those at risk or ill in the best care possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You know I was out there and I have to say looking on the beach there were family groups well separated as were people walking there was also four Garda walking up and down the prom so they must have thought things are ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

youngrun wrote: »
    Think people have had enough now of limiting lives and need to get back to work education and life. Plenty of help in the health services and elsewhere to keep those at risk or ill in the best care possible.

Plenty of help in the health services????
    Sorry but that’s one of the most ill-informed comments I’ve ever heard
    The HSE was and is a basket case
    There are literally hundreds if not thousands of HSE staff self-isolating, they’re actually near breaking point
    The only reason the system didn’t break down is because of lockdown and compliance and you’re advocating relaxing that despite what all public health experts are saying?
    If we relent now the system will be swamped pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Why are people still cycling on the footpath along the prom, these fools should be stopped and fined?

We need to be doing the exact opposite, only selfish idiots are ignoring the rules. Staying at home is easy, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Now is the time to double our efforts and really kill off the spread of the virus.

I bet you’d vote for Donald Trump

You do realise that by staying home that's what will get back a normal life quicker?

Most people can't go back to work until the health service is back in control, that will only happen by people staying home and not going to the shops everyday or heading to the beach. It really isn't rocket science. I don't understand this attitude of life is tough staying at home, it's only a few weeks for God's sake.

6 days to next announcement I reckon as irs been Friday past few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What time were you there on the prom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Why are people still cycling on the footpath along the prom, these fools should be stopped and fined?

RTÉ showed footage of a busy prom on the news this evening and I was disgusted to see a man cycling down the middle of the prom between people who were walking in a socially distanced manner on the outer edges of the path. He totally negated their efforts. Why a grown man needs to cycle on the path is beyond me :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Several friends of mine live in close proximity to the prom. Salthill natives. I was on a zoom call with them tonight and they all tell me it has been really quiet there today and has been throughout these restrictions. I don't know what people are seeing here when they say its a "joke"... seeing something they want to see I guess, so they can come on boards/twitter/FB and bitch about it.

Do people realise that 1000's of people live within 2k of Salthill? If I lived in proximity to the prom, I'd be happily out walking on it too.

TBH, I'm getting pee'd off with the media, RTE in particular, reporting from the prom in Salthill (on an exceptionally rare sunny day), basically scolding us like we're all a bunch of school children. All the while, the figures are telling us this disease is not in the community, its concentrated in nursing homes. But its easier for the CMO and the media to have a go at the general public than ask real questions, like what has happened in these care homes for them to be hit so badly? The people out for a jog on the prom are not the issue, but the stay-at-home mantra is a much easier spin.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Several friends of mine live in close proximity to the prom. Salthill natives. I was on a zoom call with them tonight and they all tell me it has been really quiet there today and has been throughout these restrictions.

The still of the 'packed prom' on RTE does not look packed. I didn't see the news. I wasn't down today (I'm within 2k) but yesterday was very quiet in the evening. I DID see one gang of lads drinking, but they may have been sharing a house, and they were definitely trying to be off the beaten track. I met some neighbours as I walked and we stopped about 10 feet away for a minute or two, and it was lovely to chat and be safe.
    As someone said the other day, can we just agree on if it's busy don't go, if you're out, be safe? I'd add be kind wherever you can and avoid touching stuff and we will all get through this?

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    All the while, the figures are telling us this disease is not in the community, its concentrated in nursing homes.

Have you a source for this?

Advertisement