Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

JoeA3 wrote: »
    All the while, the figures are telling us this disease is not in the community, its concentrated in nursing homes.

How does it jump between the nursing homes spread across the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Chemtrails?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Have you a source for this?

www.rte.ie/news

By all accounts the staff brought it in weeks ago.... staff that didn’t have the required help/guidance or PPE (another fiasco). I expect that when this eventually blows over, the scandal in the nursing homes will be thoroughly investigated and some of the people currently scolding us all every day will be among those held accountable.

:rolleyes:

TBH, I'm getting pee'd off with the media, RTE in particular, reporting from the prom in Salthill (on an exceptionally rare sunny day), basically scolding us like we're all a bunch of school children. All the while, the figures are telling us this disease is not in the community, its concentrated in nursing homes. But its easier for the CMO and the media to have a go at the general public than ask real questions, like what has happened in these care homes for them to be hit so badly? The people out for a jog on the prom are not the issue, but the stay-at-home mantra is a much easier spin.

You really don’t get it and how important people staying at home is. Really it’s your attitude that will keep this virus spreading.

We are at a stage now where imo the only sensible option is to extend the lock down for another two weeks after the 5th May and really get tough on maintaining it from now on. People are idiots and are too stupid to stay at home, their attitudes stink (like yours) and it’s going to cause us to take much longer to to back to normal. Prom is one place that needs total shut down, I don’t care if it’s within 2km of people they can do without it for a few months. Stopping the virus is vastly more important than walking along the prom.

Honestly this is the type of stuff them clowns protesting over in the US would come out with: the media are using the importance of maintaining the lockdown as a “distraction” tactic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

.....I expect that when this eventually blows over, the scandal in the nursing homes will be thoroughly investigated and some of the people currently scolding us all every day will be among those held accountable.
    You expect what? in Oireland? :pac:

• Advertisement

Nox, please don’t talk to me like I’m an imbecile in your local. Spare me.

I’m completely aware of how serious the situation is, but equally I do have a problem with how the Government are handling it and how the media are spinning it. I’ve outlined why in a reasonable manner in my last couple of posts. I’m certainly not alone either, but social media is disproportionately filled with the lynch mob.

zell12 wrote: »
    You expect what? in Oireland? :pac:

Yeah I know... but in time to come, this situation will be up there amongst our long history of scandals, brushing things under the carpet, etc

WexfordCoCo have drones out on their beaches and parks looking for 'vehicles' outside their 2km zone
    Any word of this in Galway?

Nox, please don’t talk to me like I’m an imbecile in your local. Spare me.

I’m completely aware of how serious the situation is, but equally I do have a problem with how the Government are handling it and how the media are spinning it. I’ve outlined why in a reasonable manner in my last couple of posts. I’m certainly not alone either, but social media is disproportionately filled with the lynch mob.

The gov’s handling the situation has been excellent, far better than most other counties in the world. Most realise this but unbelievably there are still some trying to find fault. The nursing home situation is not anything to do with the governments response to the virus.

But if you can see why it’s important to stay and home and massively limit all interaction with the outside world then I question if you really do understand the situation like you claim. Many people are making a massive effort to stop the spread of this virus but others aren’t and it’s just a kick in the teeth to those of us who are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

By all accounts the staff brought it in weeks ago.... staff that didn’t have the required help/guidance or PPE (another fiasco).

OK, next question... where did the staff pick it up?

And "weeks ago"? There are nursing homes not yet affected that are trying their best to keep it outside their doors. These residents are very vulnerable but the facilities need daily staff changes and delivery of supplies and services from the community.

• Advertisement

The gov’s handling the situation has been excellent, far better than most other counties in the word. Most realise this but unbelievably there are still some trying to find fault. The nursing home situation is not anything to do with the governments response to the virus.

In your opinion.

Most realise this. Who? What’s your source for this, boards.ie and/or your WhatsApp mates?

Nox, this tends to be the theme in most of your posts in this forum. You have an opinion that’s not for changing, all of your buddies in your own little world are on the same page and it’s unbelievable that the rest of the population don’t have your world view on every matter. Sometimes I agree with you and I often find it amusing when on a lighter subject but on this occasion I hold a different opinion.

DailyMail today
    Hospital patients were deemed eligible for transfer to care homes even if they were showing symptoms and had been identified as close contacts of others who were Covidpositive.
    ‘Definitely it was a big contributory factor,’ Nursing Home Ireland’s CEO Tadhg Daly told the Irish Mail on Sunday
    Last night, health watchdog Hiqa (the Health Information and Quality Authority) confirmed it was ‘aware of incidents where [there were] residents transferred from acute healthcare facilities to nursing homes and who later tested positive for Covid-19’.

One operator of a nursing home in Dublin – which suffered double digit Covid-19 fatalities after accepting hospital transfers – said they believed their fatal outbreak was sparked by transfers. ‘We went into lockdown two weeks before anyone else and got kicked for it,’ the operator said.
    ‘Then the HSE transferred people from hospitals to us – and most of them subsequently tested positive.’
    https://twitter.com/IrishMailSunday/status/1254289103459360768?s=20

In your opinion.

Most realise this. Who? What’s your source for this, boards.ie and/or your WhatsApp mates?

Nox, this tends to be the theme in most of your posts in this forum. You have an opinion that’s not for changing, all of your buddies in your own little world are on the same page and it’s unbelievable that the rest of the population don’t have your world view on every matter. Sometimes I agree with you and I often find it amusing when on a lighter subject but on this occasion I hold a different opinion.

Ok excellent might be too far but they have certainly made a very good job of things.

Who? Family and friends and the general feeing you get from people from all the other sources like media, internet, even the increase in FG popularity in polls etc.

Not everyone is agreeing I was involved in a heated argument with friends on this recently, all agreed they did a good job bar one who argued back a lot with the rest of us on it. They had to row back quite a bit at the end when all facts and stats were presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

www.rte.ie/news

By all accounts the staff brought it in weeks ago.... staff that didn’t have the required help/guidance or PPE (another fiasco). I expect that when this eventually blows over, the scandal in the nursing homes will be thoroughly investigated and some of the people currently scolding us all every day will be among those held accountable.

Sorry that's just a link to the rte website, so you don't have an article stating its concentrated to nursing homes do you? Please if your going to post such claims use a source.

Christ we're only being asked to stay at home for a few weeks and people have difficulty, spare a thought for our health services staff that are working 24 hour shifts and risking their lives to deal with those getting the illness.

Sorry that's just a link to the rte website, so you don't have an article stating its concentrated to nursing homes do you? Please if your going to post such claims use a source.
    23 April "the Department of Health confirmed that there are 191 clusters of the virus in nursing homes, composed of 2,231 cases."
    Loads more proof
    https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-coronavirus-nursing-homes-hse-residential-care-5080182-Apr2020/

Christ we're only being asked to stay at home for a few weeks and people have difficulty, spare a thought for our health services staff that are working 24 hour shifts and risking their lives to deal with those getting the illness.

To be honest I thought your question was a joke and I gave it the reply it warranted. Have you not been watching the news? Or listening to the CMO every evening for the past week or 10 days? Every night, for at least the last week, he has been telling us that the situation is heavily concentrated among the vulnerable elderly in the care homes and that the situation is under control in the community with an R0 at 0.5 last I heard.

You are obviously very fortunate, staying at home watching Netflix is no problem to you. Fortunately I also have a comfortable home life. But do try to appreciate that it’s not so easy for a lot of folks. People living in shoebox apartments, people living alone or away from family and loved ones, people living under the threat of violence in the home, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

To be honest I thought your question was a joke and I gave it the reply it warranted. Have you not been watching the news? Or listening to the CMO every evening for the past week or 10 days? Every night, for at least the last week, he has been telling us that the situation is heavily concentrated among the vulnerable elderly in the care homes and that the situation is under control in the community with an R0 at 0.5 last I heard.

You are obviously very fortunate, staying at home watching Netflix is no problem to you. Fortunately I also have a comfortable home life. But do try to appreciate that it’s not so easy for a lot of folks. People living in shoebox apartments, people living alone or away from family and loved ones, people living under the threat of violence in the home, etc.

I'm not disagreeing that there isn't an issue in the nursing homes and I watch it most nights and am not getting the same message as you.

Yes there is an issue in nursing homes but there is still an issue outside of nursing homes and your posts are making out that it's only nursing homes which is not true.

Also don't assume my living conditions, they are far from what I'd like but sufficient for current circumstances, everyone has issues to deal with.

I do feel for those in difficult circumstances and believe they should get some relief and be given some discretion, the gardai have as much as said so in relation to violence.

Its quiet simple stay home save life's for a few weeks and then week by week we can return to a 'normal' lifestyle. Ignoring this will just prolong the pain for those in domestic violence situations and the strain on health workers.

Remember the plan is not to eliminate the virus but to control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is there anywhere one can find the confirmed number of COVID-19 deaths per county?

I can only find numbers for confirmed cases.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Is there anywhere one can find the confirmed number of COVID-19 deaths per county?
    I can only find numbers for confirmed cases.
    HSE only publish deaths by region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

The gov’s handling the situation has been excellent, far better than most other counties in the world. Most realise this but unbelievably there are still some trying to find fault. The nursing home situation is not anything to do with the governments response to the virus.

But if you can see why it’s important to stay and home and massively limit all interaction with the outside world then I question if you really do understand the situation like you claim. Many people are making a massive effort to stop the spread of this virus but others aren’t and it’s just a kick in the teeth to those of us who are.

The government’s handling of this has been excellent? They let plane loads of Italians come over but thought cancelling the rugby match would stop them from coming. Don’t make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

zell12 wrote: »
    HSE only publish deaths by region

So, is there somewhere I can get the total number of confirmed covid-19 deaths for the West of Ireland?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So, is there somewhere I can get the total number of confirmed covid-19 deaths for the West of Ireland?

I'll post up an update once this evenings numbers are released

loads more stats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Irelan

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Firstly, apologies if poor wording on my part offends anyone. It's hard to discuss this whole situation as everyone is understandably walking on eggshells.

I think the focus on nursing homes over the last week or so has started to create a false narrative that the virus is now under control to a greater extent than the reality of the situation. People see the number of deaths and the median age each day and it seems we are slipping back into the mindset of it being something that just affects the elderly. The idea that's it's only spreading in nursing homes is something I'm starting to see more of online as people are getting testy about the lockdown and want to see restrictions lifted.
    It's only an early sample but looking at the results of that antibody test they carried out in New York it looks like the number of people possibly infected with the virus might be far, far higher than the number of people currently diagnosed. They'll have to carry out a lot more tests to get a clearer picture but they are talking about anything up to 20% of New Yorkers already having had the virus. I'm not trying to be alarmist here as there is already far too much of that going around. The diagnosed level of infection is going the right way and the health service hasn't been overwhelmed by the pandemic. We have to try and take some comfort from that.

From my point of view a big part of the problem is that selling misery seems much easier than positivity. Speaking truth to power is an absolutely vital part of a functioning media but far too many people are only interested in negativity even if that means ignoring facts. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the Irish death rate from this virus compared to other countries and used as justification to bash how things are being handled. Most of the time they aren't comparing like with like figures at all but that doesn't fit with their agendas. There's a number of people I've gone from regarding as cranks to instead viewing them as outright evil as all they want is to spread discontent as that helps their social media numbers.

Rambling a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

grbear wrote: »
    Firstly, apologies if poor wording on my part offends anyone. It's hard to discuss this whole situation as everyone is understandably walking on eggshells.

I think the focus on nursing homes over the last week or so has started to create a false narrative that the virus is now under control to a greater extent than the reality of the situation. People see the number of deaths and the median age each day and it seems we are slipping back into the mindset of it being something that just affects the elderly. The idea that's it's only spreading in nursing homes is something I'm starting to see more of online as people are getting testy about the lockdown and want to see restrictions lifted.
    It's only an early sample but looking at the results of that antibody test they carried out in New York it looks like the number of people possibly infected with the virus might be far, far higher than the number of people currently diagnosed. They'll have to carry out a lot more tests to get a clearer picture but they are talking about anything up to 20% of New Yorkers already having had the virus. I'm not trying to be alarmist here as there is already far too much of that going around. The diagnosed level of infection is going the right way and the health service hasn't been overwhelmed by the pandemic. We have to try and take some comfort from that.

From my point of view a big part of the problem is that selling misery seems much easier than positivity. Speaking truth to power is an absolutely vital part of a functioning media but far too many people are only interested in negativity even if that means ignoring facts. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the Irish death rate from this virus compared to other countries and used as justification to bash how things are being handled. Most of the time they aren't comparing like with like figures at all but that doesn't fit with their agendas. There's a number of people I've gone from regarding as cranks to instead viewing them as outright evil as all they want is to spread discontent as that helps their social media numbers.

Rambling a bit now.

Agreed, plenty around with a vested interest in spreading a narrative of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gal2glam wrote: »
    The government’s handling of this has been excellent? They let plane loads of Italians come over but thought cancelling the rugby match would stop them from coming. Don’t make me laugh.

And don't forget Cheltenham where the Government did not want to spoil the well to do their horse racing week now we know the outcome of that big mistake letting them all come home and a spread the virus around

26 new deaths today and 701 new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    And don't forget Cheltenham where the Government did not want to spoil the well to do their horse racing week now we know the outcome of that big mistake letting them all come home and a spread the virus around

The Irish government had no control over whether Cheltenham went ahead or not. Try putting the blame on those who went over there instead. They had a choice but god forbid anyone takes a bit of personal responsibility these days. It's easy to blame the government for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

People who went are responsible for their own actions. If they came home and went visiting elderly family......and there were consequences...they can live with it.

Blame everything on govt.....BS.

I know people who had I'll parents who cancelled their trip and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

Ah yes because the Irish government has responsibility for an English horse racing event right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

In your opinion.

Your opinion puts lives at risk.

Nox's opinion doesn't put lives at risk.

You are being selfish.

Nox isn't.

Advertisement