Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Your opinion puts lives at risk.

Nox's opinion doesn't put lives at risk.

You are being selfish.

Nox isn't.

I have a mind of my own.

You don't.

Am I playing this right?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I have a mind of my own.

You don't.

Am I playing this right?

Clearly the easing up people are doing (which you don't appear to have an issue with) is having a negative impact since number are increasing again and it looks like things won't be eased this day week. If anything they are likely to get stricter with talk of the prom being totally closed (as Ive been suggesting for weeks).

If everyone just stayed at home the the last two weeks but people are too pig ignorant to do it so things are just going to be prolonged and prolonged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I have a mind of my own.

You don't.

Am I playing this right?

Yeah, that's right. This whole thing is a game for great intellects and independent thinkers such as yourself.

Meanwhile, while you play your game, others who are less physically independent or in harm's way due to their jobs suffer and/or die due to your having a mind of your own.

But, hey, you're the man. Play on :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I have a mind of my own.

You don't.

Am I playing this right?

With replies like this I’m afraid you lost a long time ago

Clearly the easing up people are doing (which you don't appear to have an issue with) is having a negative impact since number are increasing again and it looks like things won't be eased this day week. If anything they are likely to get stricter with talk of the prom being totally closed (as Ive been suggesting for weeks).

If everyone just stayed at home the the last two weeks but people are too pig ignorant to do it so things are just going to be prolonged and prolonged.

Nox, oh dear oh dear. I couldn't care less what you think, it is of zero consequence. But like just about every other topic you throw your 2p at, its clear that you have a narrow view on the world, everyone else in your circle is apparently on the same page as you and those that aren't are unbelievable. Or in this case pig ignorant. There's been many occasions where you've given people here ample reason to assign you the same label, but on this occasion you happen to be up on the higher horse.

I do have a problem with how the Government are handling this. I have a problem with an un-elected civil servant (the CMO), a man with more than a few skeletons in his closet, effectively running the country for the last number of weeks. I have a problem with him, Harris and Varadkar (to a lesser extent) speaking to the nation like we are bold school children. That kind of approach to getting everyone on board with their message will not wash with me and will wear very thin very quickly for a large number of the population in my opinion.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I believe that they have messed up royally in several areas in the last few weeks, most notably in the nursing homes. They actually moved Covid-19 infected patients out of Hospitals and into nursing homes. Look how that has worked out. We still have open airports. People travelling into the country are "handed a leaflet". They let people come back from Cheltenham unchecked and large numbers of Italian Rugby supporters were allowed into the country. This is the Government that are doing an "excellent job" on planet Nox.

Italy, Spain and Germany among others have already started rolling back restrictions, or have clearly defined plans communicated to their citizens? Where's our plan? They're still faffing around, that's where. What's another 2 or 3 weeks of the current situation going to give us, other than flushing more of the economy down the toilet? We are eventually going to have to learn to live with this thing for a long time to come and locking everything away indefinitely will do more harm than good.

I also have a problem with the arrogance of people on here and on social media who are very quick to jump on those that they perceive to to be bending these restrictions to be "pig ignorant" or "selfish" and other lovely terms, but these same people don't seem to have any empathy or understanding of life outside their own little comfort bubble. I think this post that I read over on the main Corona forum lastnight sums up the situation many people are in at this time: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113274469&postcount=1988

• Advertisement

Let’s remember over 1 thousand people have died because of this virus, many many more will die, many will have been caused by Covididiots like JoeA3

Let’s remember over 1 thousand people have died because of this virus, many many more will die, many will have been caused by Covididiots like JoeA3

And here we go again with the stupid name calling.

Where do you get off on calling people idiots? You're actually suggesting that I'm spreading the disease? Get off your pedestal FFS. What's your take on the situation, other than spouting cliches and mantra's you read on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I read somewhere yesterday that removing patients from hospitals some with the virus was the cause of the nursing home tragedy and that heads will roll when this is over and an inquiry will be held , I agree also that we took down our guard allowing the Italians to come here from the most infected part of Italy and we should have put in quarantine the people who came back from Cheltenham

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I read somewhere yesterday that removing patients from hospitals some with the virus was the cause of the nursing home tragedy and that heads will roll when this is over and an inquiry will be held , I agree also that we took down our guard allowing the Italians to come here from the most infected part of Italy and we should have put in quarantine the people who came back from Cheltenham

Good to see someone else here is at least questioning the situation.

Did a mod remove my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, it was quoting a user that got an infraction.

PM me and I'll give you the post content if you like

Edit, I changed my mind. Those posts reinstated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nox, oh dear oh dear. I couldn't care less what you think, it is of zero consequence. But like just about every other topic you throw your 2p at, its clear that you have a narrow view on the world, everyone else in your circle is apparently on the same page as you and those that aren't are unbelievable. Or in this case pig ignorant. There's been many occasions where you've given people here ample reason to assign you the same label, but on this occasion you happen to be up on the higher horse.

I do have a problem with how the Government are handling this. I have a problem with an un-elected civil servant (the CMO), a man with more than a few skeletons in his closet, effectively running the country for the last number of weeks. I have a problem with him, Harris and Varadkar (to a lesser extent) speaking to the nation like we are bold school children. That kind of approach to getting everyone on board with their message will not wash with me and will wear very thin very quickly for a large number of the population in my opinion.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I believe that they have messed up royally in several areas in the last few weeks, most notably in the nursing homes. They actually moved Covid-19 infected patients out of Hospitals and into nursing homes. Look how that has worked out. We still have open airports. People travelling into the country are "handed a leaflet". They let people come back from Cheltenham unchecked and large numbers of Italian Rugby supporters were allowed into the country. This is the Government that are doing an "excellent job" on planet Nox.

Italy, Spain and Germany among others have already started rolling back restrictions, or have clearly defined plans communicated to their citizens? Where's our plan? They're still faffing around, that's where. What's another 2 or 3 weeks of the current situation going to give us, other than flushing more of the economy down the toilet? We are eventually going to have to learn to live with this thing for a long time to come and locking everything away indefinitely will do more harm than good.

I also have a problem with the arrogance of people on here and on social media who are very quick to jump on those that they perceive to to be bending these restrictions to be "pig ignorant" or "selfish" and other lovely terms, but these same people don't seem to have any empathy or understanding of life outside their own little comfort bubble. I think this post that I read over on the main Corona forum lastnight sums up the situation many people are in at this time: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113274469&postcount=1988

It's not really Galway specific but I guess it says COVID chat so we're safe to discuss?

The Government has said they will be providing details on a plan for easing restrictions before May 5th, likely later this week. They have also cautioned that while they may have a plan close to ready they didn't want to give a concrete date on when it will be shared just incase things need to change.

The nursing homes have been a complete clusterf*ck. The Irish Government isn't the only one to make that mistake and they seem to have been leaning completely on expert advise. It would have been good that they had a pandemic response plan well ahead of all this but then if they had spent money on it, they probably would have been crucified for it anyway. Just like the rainy day fund which has been blown away completely with the 350 a week COVID payments.

I'm probably going soft as I get older or maybe it's from working for a few years as a project manager but they've had to take decisive action. It hasn't all been smooth sailing but I feel that they've done relatively well.

What do you think of Sweden with no lock down space in ICU and they have no one in emergency hospitals they built, thoughts

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52395866

What do you think of Sweden with no lock down space in ICU and they have no one in emergency hospitals they built, thoughts

There death toll is far higher than surrounding countries and are not as far into it as a lot of Europe. Their strategy has killed far more than would have died with a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I do have a problem with how the Government are handling this. I have a problem with an un-elected civil servant (the CMO), a man with more than a few skeletons in his closet, effectively running the country for the last number of weeks. I have a problem with him, Harris and Varadkar (to a lesser extent) speaking to the nation like we are bold school children.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I believe that they have messed up royally in several areas in the last few weeks, most notably in the nursing homes. They actually moved Covid-19 infected patients out of Hospitals and into nursing homes. Look how that has worked out. We still have open airports. People travelling into the country are "handed a leaflet". They let people come back from Cheltenham unchecked and large numbers of Italian Rugby supporters were allowed into the country.
    Italy, Spain and Germany among others have already started rolling back restrictions, or have clearly defined plans communicated to their citizens? Where's our plan? ...

I also have a problem with the arrogance of people on here and on social media who are very quick to jump on those that they perceive to to be bending these restrictions to be "pig ignorant" or "selfish" and other lovely terms,

Italy / Spain etc are starting to roll back some restrictions because they went earlier and harder than we did (with good reason given their circumstances). In Spain, kids are just now allowed to go outside AT ALL for the first time in six weeks. Makes our 2km zone look like a walk in the park, especially as they have far more people living in apartments with no gardens.

Politicians and officials haven't spoken to the nation like bold kids: they've run a very effective process combining requests, suggestions and regulations - they very fact that they were able to close the pubs for Paddy's day with near-total compliance and virtually no civil disorder says to me that the approach was highly successful and understood the psyche of the nation well.

We have open airports because supplies need to come into the country, and because Irish people who have been overseas need to be allowed to come home (personally I'd have told them to shelter-in-place, but families of the ones in Peru etc would have protested).

Yes, they've made some mistakes: the rugby should have been cancelled and the fans given a strong "nothing to see here" message. Nursing homes should not have accepted patients from hospitals without a clear test.

Yes, it's been very tough on some people. But knowing that your granny / husband / kid is dying alone in hospital from a virus which was spread by people who didn't need to go outside is pretty damn hard, too. And avoidable in many cases.

I think that it's incredible that people are so lacking in self-management and emotional resilience that they're finding our current restrictions overly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

They are more disciplined than us..... respect the whole social distancing etc.

Let be honest. If pubs opened tomorrow in Ireland..... there'd be a stampede. Social distancing would go out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Let be honest. If pubs opened tomorrow in Ireland..... there'd be a stampede. Social distancing would go out the window.

Sad but true

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Italy / Spain etc are starting to roll back some restrictions because they went earlier and harder than we did (with good reason given their circumstances). In Spain, kids are just now allowed to go outside AT ALL for the first time in six weeks. Makes our 2km zone look like a walk in the park, especially as they have far more people living in apartments with no gardens.

Politicians and officials haven't spoken to the nation like bold kids: they've run a very effective process combining requests, suggestions and regulations - they very fact that they were able to close the pubs for Paddy's day with near-total compliance and virtually no civil disorder says to me that the approach was highly successful and understood the psyche of the nation well.

We have open airports because supplies need to come into the country, and because Irish people who have been overseas need to be allowed to come home (personally I'd have told them to shelter-in-place, but families of the ones in Peru etc would have protested).

Yes, they've made some mistakes: the rugby should have been cancelled and the fans given a strong "nothing to see here" message. Nursing homes should not have accepted patients from hospitals without a clear test.

Yes, it's been very tough on some people. But knowing that your granny / husband / kid is dying alone in hospital from a virus which was spread by people who didn't need to go outside is pretty damn hard, too. And avoidable in many cases.

I think that it's incredible that people are so lacking in self-management and emotional resilience that they're finding our current restrictions overly difficult.

Snowflakes have been treated too softly softly here

biko wrote: »
    Yes, it was quoting a user that got an infraction.

PM me and I'll give you the post content if you like

Edit, I changed my mind. Those posts reinstated

Can you PM me your justification for removing the posts and how you came to change your mind please?

I saw a news story about it a few weeks ago and people there were supportive of the decision but also concerned about it. I think the majority of the people there will still be cautious and take their own measures. I didn't read that article but one of the concerns the experts there had was the mental side of things, of them imposing restrictions rather than it being of their own will. Some video clips I've seen in their cities suggested plenty were practicing social distancing anyway.

Also, if you look at what they have done. They have SOME measures, just not as many or not as restrictive as ours.

I think if it's not too bad there, it would be unwise to say their approach was a success because it's a whole different ball of wax there.

• Advertisement

Can you PM me your justification for removing the posts and how you came to change your mind please?
    No, just know it happened.

biko wrote: »
    No, just know it happened.

You offered to assist and PM another poster, what criteria do you use to decide which posters to help with requests over others? Fair and consistently please

Feel free to bring any grievance to Help Desk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

There death toll is far higher than surrounding countries and are not as far into it as a lot of Europe. Their strategy has killed far more than would have died with a lockdown.

Nowhere near as high as those with major lockdowns though ie UK, Spain, Italy, Belgium. And they havent destroyed their economy, businesses and jobs like the rest of Western Europe.

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

brutes1 wrote: »
    Nowhere near as high as those with major lockdowns though ie UK, Spain, Italy, Belgium. And they havent destroyed their economy, businesses and jobs like the rest of Western Europe.

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

Economies will recover (quite quickly also as this isn't a traditional recession), jobs are mostly on hold and will be there once things are eased but the large number of extra deaths in Sweden due to not locking down will never be recovered.

We would have multiples of our death toll without a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

grbear wrote: »
    From my point of view a big part of the problem is that selling misery seems much easier than positivity. Speaking truth to power is an absolutely vital part of a functioning media but far too many people are only interested in negativity even if that means ignoring facts.
    Many of the "facts" are unreliable, on both sides.

The problem with selling positivity is that people get complacent and people die.

If selling positivity influenced gov't policy and got the restrictions lifted earlier and boosted the economy, one could possibly argue that would be a good thing, though I would prefer if the government's decisions were influenced by experts and information, rather than malcontents. Another possible outcome of selling positivity is that Karen from Facebook will get lax in her hand-washing and hang out with her friends and then go home and kill her grandmother.

brutes1 wrote: »
    And they havent destroyed their economy, businesses and jobs like the rest of Western Europe.

Their economy is taking a hammering regardless. Consumer spending has dropped by 70% as people are choosing to self-isolate.

Their economy is taking a hammering regardless. Consumer spending has dropped by 70% as people are choosing to self-isolate.

I was also surprised that their unemployment rate was so high before any of this happened.

Politicians and officials haven't spoken to the nation like bold kids: they've run a very effective process...

That's your take, I don't see it that way.

This article in today's Irish Times, if anyone's interested, is more like how I see it. This guy has probably managed to articulate himself a bit better than I have done here.

I hold my hands up and apologise to anyone I've pee'd off on this thread. It's a stressful time for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

That's your take, I don't see it that way.

This article in today's Irish Times, if anyone's interested, is more like how I see it. This guy has probably managed to articulate himself a bit better than I have done here.

I hold my hands up and apologise to anyone I've pee'd off on this thread. It's a stressful time for us all.

You have an opinion. You're perfectly entitled to express it without apologies.

The testing has been a cluster f**k. Let's be honest.

The enforcement of restrictions has been pathetic. The Gardai just wave people on without question. We should have done same as Italy and Spain.....forms required to be out and about.

I am looking out at the landlord of neighbours house who has travelled 20 miles here to mow the f**king lawn......essential stuff. And it's his second appearance since the lockdown.

On the other side of me at least 5 different people have shown up to check on vacant house and cut lawn also. Owner has f**ked off home to Mayo but has returned twice during lockdown to check house. Another flatmate returned for a few nights.

People can travel without resistance from Gardai. Stick a bag of groceries on back seat and just say you're delivering food to elderly cocooning...... Gardai just wave you on no problem.

The major f**k ups are testing and enforcement.

People will always break the rules it's pointless arguing this......which is why we needed better enforcement.

Advertisement