Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Ficheall wrote: »
    Many of the "facts" are unreliable, on both sides.

The problem with selling positivity is that people get complacent and people die.

If selling positivity influenced gov't policy and got the restrictions lifted earlier and boosted the economy, one could possibly argue that would be a good thing, though I would prefer if the government's decisions were influenced by experts and information, rather than malcontents. Another possible outcome of selling positivity is that Karen from Facebook will get lax in her hand-washing and hang out with her friends and then go home and kill her grandmother.

I didn't advocate selling positivity or spin. I was commenting on what I've seen on social media where it seems easier for people to gain attention for themselves by spreading misery through constant negative posts.
    Too often that has either pushed or crossed the line into spreading misinformation.

The reality of the current situation is bad enough without people engaging in that sort of carry on just so they can get a few likes on Facebook and Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You have an opinion. You're perfectly entitled to express it without apologies.

The testing has been a cluster f**k. Let's be honest.

The enforcement of restrictions has been pathetic. The Gardai just wave people on without question. We should have done same as Italy and Spain.....forms required to be out and about.

I am looking out at the landlord of neighbours house who has travelled 20 miles here to mow the f**king lawn......essential stuff. And it's his second appearance since the lockdown.

On the other side of me at least 5 different people have shown up to check on vacant house and cut lawn also. Owner has f**ked off home to Mayo but has returned twice during lockdown to check house. Another flatmate returned for a few nights.

People can travel without resistance from Gardai. Stick a bag of groceries on back seat and just say you're delivering food to elderly cocooning...... Gardai just wave you on no problem.

The major f**k ups are testing and enforcement.

People will always break the rules it's pointless arguing this......which is why we needed better enforcement.

1.) Testing was pretty quick for the first 10 or 12 days which saw Ireland rise to number 1 in Europe for testing per capita. Then the components required for testing went into a shortage. Also, while testing could be completed quickly, they hit a point where the tests were carried out but the lames were overwhelmed. They then outsourced to a German lab to clear the backlog.

In my opinion, for us it was too idealistic to try to drink from a waterhose. The criteria should have been more restrictive (even though that p1sses people off). From that first large batch of tests, 94% of tests (or 96..I forget which but one of those) came back negative. This was as spring was coming in, hay fever was kicking off and the cold and flu were still doing the rounds.

I know a healthcare professional who got tested just under 2 weeks ago. She was tested within a few hours of asking to get tested and had the results in less than 24 hours. Her partner called a GP on the same day that she got tested and went through the airport's testing centre 24 hours later. My brother had his test completed 20 hours after calling his GP. Both of them had their results in 4 days. That's pretty good going, in my opinion.

Last weekend, I believe it was reported that even with the more restrictive criteria, 91% tested were negative.

For the enforcement. I've had to travel twice in the last 2 weeks. The motorway seems to have had a constant Garda presence. Every single day, either just before my house or just past it there's been a checkpoint on the N84 and I have met a checkpoint by Briarhill and one at Kilcolgan.

Maybe they should be taking a harder line, I have no idea. I have a letter from our local Garda to give me an exemption for some travel. Not sure if others have been seeking the same.

There's a clear progress in Ireland's metrics. Galway in particular has been doing very well. I think the response has been mostly very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/uhg-has-one-of-highest-number-of-vacant-beds-nationwide/
    University Hospital Galway currently has one of the highest number of vacant beds in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

biko wrote: »

What’s your point? Is it that UCHG has out sourced all it patients to merlin and the bons? Do u think it’s good that we have capacity in the event of doomsday that we needed the beds or maybe Is that that you think the healthcare workers aren’t working hard enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

What’s your point? Is it that UCHG has out sourced all it patients to merlin and the bons? Do u think it’s good that we have capacity in the event of doomsday that we needed the beds or maybe Is that that you think the healthcare workers aren’t working hard enough?

It's a factual piece of news about Galway hospital during Covid that I'm assuming Biko thought the people who read the Galway boards forum might like to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cool the jets. You're getting awfully worked up

It's an interesting tidbit since we are in a crisis that at least we have 126 beds to go around in Galway. So if you happen to fall ill there is room at the hospital.
    I at least find that reassuring.

Please warn if you are posting a link to that filthy rag of a newspaper.

The stages of the plan to reopen.

FB-IMG-1588575493276.jpg

• Advertisement

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/latest-report-shows-three-galway-covid-19-patients-are-in-icu/
    Figures released by the HSE have revealed that University Hospital Galway is treating 13 people for the virus, with three of these patients currently in ICU.

Meanwhile, just 2 Covid-19 patients are being cared for at Portiuncla Hospital Ballinasloe but neither are in intensive care.

That’s compared to nearly 30 COVID patients in Mayo General Hospital, however, a large number of these patients are believed to be coming to the end of their treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

FB-IMG-1588575493276.jpg

gov.ie link for anyone wanting to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

FB-IMG-1588575493276.jpg
    I've not been able to see the print at the head of the paper, am I right in assuming that, each block of colour signifies the hoped for progress in each new month?

Ie Yellow=May and Blue=Sept?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Each phase is hopefully going to be around three weeks in length but it's not set in stone. Provisionally it's going to be:

Phase 1: 18th May
    Phase 2: 8th June
    Phase 3: 29th June
    Phase 4: 20th July
    Phase 5: 10th August

That could change depending on infection rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

grbear wrote: »
    Each phase is hopefully going to be around three weeks in length but it's not set in stone. Provisionally it's going to be:

Phase 1: 18th May
    Phase 2: 8th June
    Phase 3: 29th June
    Phase 4: 20th July
    Phase 5: 10th August

That could change depending on infection rates.
    Thats a big help, thank you.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is the times on the boardies approved reading list!

It is clearly a link to the times not a hidden link as you posted.

Also yes, the Irish times is a fairly well respected newspaper unlike that poor excuse for toilet paper you linked to.

It is clearly a link to the times not a hidden link as you posted.

Also yes, the Irish times is a fairly well respected newspaper unlike that poor excuse for toilet paper you linked to.

The toilet paper shortage was a good month ago. All shops are back in stock now

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great to read about the amount of vacent beds in Galway. The virus seems well under control at this stage. Another two weeks should make a big difference too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

From the Irish Times piece

He says “a lot of people working have begun to carry documentation. And I suppose a lot of people are getting prescriptions for parents – there is a big older age group living in Salthill. And we are offering assistance if they want prescriptions dropped off or pensions collected or food – if they ring the station we will do it.”

That's really nice to see that the Gardai are willing to help elderly people like that.

That Is just brilliant news, very heartening for us all and a great testament to the people who've been responsible and done the right thing. We are very lucky. The HSE has said some hospitals now have little or no availability in ICU at the present time.

A time to be grateful but not complacent. Outbreaks in private residences have doubled in the week in Ireland probably due to complacency. I hope people continue to be wise after tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A time to be grateful but not complacent. Outbreaks in private residences have doubled in the week in Ireland probably due to complacency. I hope people continue to be wise after tomorrow. :)

How do you mean? Do you mean positive tests in the last week have a higher incidence of being contracted in the home? How do they know? Surely people would have been more compliant a few weeks ago? Have you a link to this? Be interesting to read how they are calculating this.

inisboffin wrote: »
    How do you mean? Do you mean positive tests in the last week have a higher incidence of being contracted in the home? How do they know? Surely people would have been more compliant a few weeks ago? Have you a link to this? Be interesting to read how they are calculating this.

It's in the Irish times.
    There were 125 outbreaks of the disease reported in private houses up to last Friday, according to the latest epidemiological data from the Health Service Executive. This compares to 68 a week earlier.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-outbreaks-in-private-houses-double-as-icu-beds-scarce-in-some-hospitals-1.4244419

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out what that means. Does it mean tested positive last week, and originated in a private house do you think? Surely that 2 weeks ago so?
    The time lag is making us misconstrue behaviour I think. I would imagine people were more strict a few weeks ago and the ones that were lax then will always be lax?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out what that means. Does it mean tested positive last week, and originated in a private house do you think? Surely that 2 weeks ago so?
    The time lag is making us misconstrue behaviour I think. I would imagine people were more strict a few weeks ago and the ones that were lax then will always be lax?

Yes it gets very confusing if you think too much about it.
    They really need to be clearer.

I think mostly likely it means they tested positive last week though and I'd be surprised at that level of spread. You're right, it probably is a case than anyone contracting it 2 weeks ago was either generally complacent or a family of a healthworker.
    Makes you wonder what 2 weeks plus will look like if we don't stick by the rules though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes it gets very confusing if you think too much about it.
    They really need to be clearer.

I think mostly likely it means they tested positive last week though and I'd be surprised at that level of spread. You're right, it probably is a case than anyone contracting it 2 weeks ago was either generally complacent or a family of a healthworker.
    Makes you wonder what 2 weeks plus will look like if we don't stick by the rules though.
    That seems to be why restrictions are being relaxed gradually.

If the indicators go the wrong way then restrictions will be maintained for longer or put into reverse.

There seem to be two models that are relevant to us.

Europe where new cases are getting low and where there may be a hope of testing and contact tracing dovetailing in as mitigation tails off and

USA ,where it is starting to look as though the restrictions may be being eased without any ability to pursue a policy of testing and contact tracing.

Just how it is looking to me .I am no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Huge increase in the amount of people around today.

Arghus wrote: »
    Huge increase in the amount of people around today.

Its not really a surprise though, given the fine weather, loads out of work and the limit being extended to 5km

Below shows 5km from Eyre Sq and illustrates the fact that pretty much all of Galway city and its surburbs are within 5km of the center of the city.

511847.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh, it's not hard to figure out why.

But I find it very strange that people feel a lot more comfortable going out and about now, if you consider there's more active cases around now than there was when the lockdown was first declared.

The virus is still the same virus. People's attitudes were entirely different just a few weeks ago.

Advertisement