Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

flazio wrote: »
    I would believe that some people are fearful that somebody from this cluster will do their shopping in the same shop as themselves and have no faith in their ability to adhere to social distance and keep whatever items that they use to do their shopping free from the virus.

The rule for social distancing is we should assume everyone has it (otherwise what’s the point of social distancing) so in theory it doesn’t matter if they do or don’t have it, behaviour shouldn’t change. In Joyce’s tonight it was like a magical switch had been flipped and now it’s ‘all safe’. Why are people not having cop on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

inisboffin wrote: »
    The rule for social distancing is we should assume everyone has it (otherwise what’s the point of social distancing) so in theory it doesn’t matter if they do or don’t have it, behaviour shouldn’t change. In Joyce’s tonight it was like a magical switch had been flipped and now it’s ‘all safe’. Why are people not having cop on?

Sadly, because people don't have cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Yes, anyone diagnosed with Covid-19 and fortunate enough not to need hospital treatment would have to self isolate. Still don’t understand the point the OP was making in regard to this particular group.

They were looking for confirmation on a cluster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I heard that rumour around the cluster about 2 weeks ago so if it was true back then they are probably clear now

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anyone hear the rumour of a cluster of 30+ of covid found in the halting site on curraghline ?
    Please don't spread rumours in this forum
    It's only causing problems and not helping anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

This is a news thread unless theres a source anyone can link to for these rumours they can continue end talked about.

Otherwise please stop now

Anyone hear the rumour of a cluster of 30+ of covid found in the halting site on curraghline ?

https://connachttribune.ie/covid-19-hygiene-packs-distributed-to-travellers/

They’re not releasing official figures, I have sent in a FOI request. Considering the resources the creditable source says the state is giving the travellers it’s pretty clear there’s a cluster

https://connachttribune.ie/covid-19-hygiene-packs-distributed-to-travellers/

They’re not releasing official figures, I have sent in a FOI request. Considering the resources the creditable source says the state is giving the travellers it’s pretty clear there’s a cluster

Nothing in that article states there's a cluster. You can infer all you want but no has said there's a cluster in a halting site

Nothing in that article states there's a cluster. You can infer all you want but no has said there's a cluster in a halting site

Never claimed it did, until they release results we won’t know but you only need to look at the addition resources been pumped into the halting sites to make a educated conclusion

Never claimed it did, until they release results we won’t know but you only need to look at the addition resources been pumped into the halting sites to make a educated conclusion

But coming to your own conclusion doesn't make it a fact... You've just drawn your own conclusion using information at hand. No one from the HSE has announced anything about a cluster even that article doesn't suggest a cluster.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »

You only have to read some of the posts here over the last few weeks to see the attitude to the virus, total ignorance of the importance or the lockdown rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You only have to read some of the posts here over the last few weeks to see the attitude to the virus, total ignorance of the importance or the lockdown rules.

I'm seeing the same people who were shouting at cyclists 'being out' now having no distance in shops, becauses 'someone told them it was ok' and 'it's getting better'. It seems to be the extremes vs cop on. The interpretation of what was being asked (and more importantly the why), is hilarious. We just need to be careful not to catch or spread, and be supported by the Government doing what they say they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

But coming to your own conclusion doesn't make it a fact... You've just drawn your own conclusion using information at hand. No one from the HSE has announced anything about a cluster even that article doesn't suggest a cluster.

He is a rumour monger

Yes using information at hand in a logical manner to draw a educated opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

There are checkpoints either side of that stretch of road. For anyone that is strange when there is no junction for traffic to join in between. Those that drive that road can confirm those checkpoints.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

Laviski wrote: »
    There are checkpoints either side of that stretch of road. For anyone that is strange when there is no junction for traffic to join in between. Those that drive that road can confirm those checkpoints.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

There's a checkpoint outside my house every evening what conclusion should I draw from that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

There's a checkpoint outside my house every evening what conclusion should I draw from that

Singular, it's not two checkpoints on same stretch of road.
    If you had an estate where there is a check point at both exits is what essentially they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

That you live on a stretch of road that is easy for the Guards to safely conduct a checkpoint. That is not the case on the headford road so it's obvious that they are containing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That you live on Salthill Prom ? :pac:

Big Garda activity out West this morning but nothing to do with Covid

That you live on a stretch of road that is easy for the Guards to safely conduct a checkpoint. That is not the case on the headford road so it's obvious that they are containing something.

But are they stopping every car or just those turning into the site ? Why would you need two cars ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Discodog wrote: »
    But are they stopping every car or just those turning into the site ? Why would you need two cars ?

Safety in numbers I suppose.

Safety in numbers I suppose.

No. You couldn't single out one place & question people going in & out. You would have to question everyone using the Headford Road & I haven't heard of that happening.

Edit: Google maps is revealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Discodog wrote: »
    Big Garda activity out West this morning but nothing to do with Covid
    Tell us more about the Big Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I was down by B&Q yesterday evening and looks like they're gearing up for opening. Paint on ground for queuing spacing, new signage asking to respect space and trolley cleaning system inside the door. Will be nice to see a few places opening up again.

I also hope they can start removing the fence around the new stores across from B&Q, looks very close to being finished. I imagine the builders could do social distancing finishing the front off.

zell12 wrote: »
    Tell us more about the Big Garda

Two ARVs, several UC cars along one stretch of road early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

18 May is the day
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

also outdoor spaces and tourism sites (for example: car parks, beaches, mountain walks)
    public sport amenities (for example: pitches, tennis courts, golf courses)

I was down by B&Q yesterday evening and looks like they're gearing up for opening. Paint on ground for queuing spacing, new signage asking to respect space and trolley cleaning system inside the door. Will be nice to see a few places opening up again.

I also hope they can start removing the fence around the new stores across from B&Q, looks very close to being finished. I imagine they could do social distancing finishing the front off.

Woodies were convinced that they would be opening earlier. Lots of store rearranging, rehearsals, etc.

Both B&Q & Woodies could of legally stayed open from the start but chose not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Laviski wrote: »
    Singular, it's not two checkpoints on same stretch of road.
    If you had an estate where there is a check point at both exits is what essentially they are doing.

Yeah, in fairness that's odd. There must be some sort of logic to it. They were just past Cunniffe's in Cloonboo and the other side of the halting site too. Could think of many other spots on the N84 to be to get people who might try to turn off to avoid detection.

Cunniffe's were fairly busy from people turning in to slyly get petrol and turn around again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Hooked in are doing collections now too, ring ahead and you get a specific time to collect your order from the front door. Simple and safe.

Collected an order on Friday, there were 2 others standing at the door... stood back. One oaf had his head down under the perspex screen shouting in asking to order for takeaway. The guy came over and said you need to ring ahead. He kept putting his head under the screen to talk and saying he couldn't get through on the phone (they're throttling orders to allow spaces collections!). He then had to be told twice to step away from the door so I could pick up my order.

When he was finally told he could order but there was a 1hr wait as orders were queued up, he stormed back to his Merc and drove off. The other person also tried to order and was being told the same, she started arguing under the screen too when I was leaving.

People are terrible. Felt sorry for the guy dealing with customers.

I've seen a lot of idiots taking masks off to talk to retail staff or leaning around perspex screens. Then putting the masks on again for the drive home.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Yeah, in fairness that's odd. There must be some sort of logic to it. They were just past Cunniffe's in Cloonboo and the other side of the halting site too. Could think of many other spots on the N84 to be to get people who might try to turn off to avoid detection.

Cunniffe's were fairly busy from people turning in to slyly get petrol and turn around again :pac:

Well, according to Google maps the traffic is stationary at Curleys & has been for the past hour ;)

Advertisement