Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I don't know how much covid is going around that halting site but I was going to the dump a few times two weeks ago and met them twice with with horses and sulky's. They were a disgrace, the first day there were a couple of kids up beside each "jockey" out in front of traffic not giving a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't know how much covid is going around that halting site but I was going to the dump a few times two weeks ago and met them twice with with horses and sulky's. They were a disgrace, the first day there were a couple of kids up beside each "jockey" out in front of traffic not giving a crap.

According to the Galway Garda Checkpoints Facebook there were Sulkie races on both the Tuam & Headford Roads - oh & a party at Menlo castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Discodog wrote: »
    According to the Galway Garda Checkpoints Facebook there were Sulkie races on both the Tuam & Headford Roads - oh & a party at Menlo castle.

There's been parties in the 'usual' spots since the lockdown. Don't know if I'd be connecting all these events and people having them as the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Drive in theatre experience coming to connemara in August.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/the-show-goes-on-irelands-first-drive-in-theatre-show-to-take-place-in-galway/
    Nice to see someone accept and adapt to the current situation rather than demand aggressive measures against Irish residents to try and put everything back the way it was quickly.

flazio wrote: »
    Drive in theatre experience coming to connemara in August.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/the-show-goes-on-irelands-first-drive-in-theatre-show-to-take-place-in-galway/
    Nice to see someone accept and adapt to the current situation rather than demand aggressive measures against Irish residents to try and put everything back the way it was quickly.

There's lots of initiatives and people constantly talking in many sectors, some are shut down some getting a green light. Great to see the theatre event happening.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's been parties in the 'usual' spots since the lockdown. Don't know if I'd be connecting all these events and people having them as the one.

This one had Sulkies going in & out apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Discodog, stop with the gossip. Thanks.

This thread should be much less of "apparently" and "I heard" and more of "This source says"

This one had Sulkies going in & out apparently :)

Of Menlo Castle???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mynzbmrtp9I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Thanks for adding this, sorry I meant in my post that they were gearing up for phase 1 on the 18th.
    zell12 wrote: »
    18 May is the day
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

also outdoor spaces and tourism sites (for example: car parks, beaches, mountain walks)
    public sport amenities (for example: pitches, tennis courts, golf courses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

are we allowed tell truth or just ignore what i just seen

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Discodog, stop with the gossip. Thanks.

This thread should be much less of "apparently" and "I heard" and more of "This source says"

I have a picture of the boyos on sulkies , is it alright to put it up ?

I have a picture of the boyos on sulkies , is it alright to put it up ?

I have pictures of a spaceship over Taylor's Hill, I think there was a checkpoint there too, can I put that up. It is timestamped and you can get a geo reference from The Plough. :p

I have pictures of a spaceship over Taylor's Hill, I think there was a checkpoint there too, can I put that up. It is timestamped and you can get a geo reference from The Plough. :p

Is it Bunkers spaceship ?

Is it Bunkers spaceship ?

Now there's a name I haven't heard in ages.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in ages.

He's still going

The Curleys & Clonboo checkpoints are still there according to Google.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would you have a link, please? Or did you just type checkpoints in google/googlemaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

New Home wrote: »
    Would you have a link, please? Or did you just type checkpoints in google/googlemaps?

You need to look at the traffic layer, for unusual red lines.

In this case, the two red bits in the picture were red for hours on end yesterday too.

512587.jpg

You need to look at the traffic layer, for unusual red lines.

In this case, the two red bits in the picture were red for hours on end yesterday too.

512587.jpg

They are black now which means the traffic is stationary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I’m very confused on why there are two covid threads. What goes into each? One is for news and the other is for chat?

Where do I post if I want to chat about the news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The chat thread, I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

They are black now which means the traffic is stationary.

Is there a legend explanation on that page ?

What do those (orange/red /black/green )colours signify?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How fast traffic is moving.

google-maps-traffic-legends.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We went through the checkpoints just there, one is around Regan's and the other is city side of the halting site. Every vehicle is being stopped and asked the purpose of their journey.

We went through the checkpoints just there, one is around Regan's and the other is city side of the halting site. Every vehicle is being stopped and asked the purpose of their journey.

So no discrimination ;) The gardai hardly doing their bit to quell rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Seems unlikely they'd be there 24/7 doesn't it?

The checkpoint at Curleys Fruit would appear to be 24/7 for the past week. I live in the area and I am also working odd hours because of splits shifts / Covid. So in the past week I have started work at 6am on occasions and the Gardai were there at 5.15am as I was leaving. I have also finished work at 12am on other occasions in the past week and again Gardai were there at 12.30am as I was coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Yeah, in fairness that's odd. There must be some sort of logic to it. They were just past Cunniffe's in Cloonboo and the other side of the halting site too. Could think of many other spots on the N84 to be to get people who might try to turn off to avoid detection.

Cunniffe's were fairly busy from people turning in to slyly get petrol and turn around again :pac:

Ya I noticed this too. The road I live on is a dead end one off the N84 and the amount of random traffic driving up it and turning in my gateway in the past week has gone through the roof.

Lot of people getting lost it would seem... :D

It's certainly a lot of resources for one road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Also, just to back up a claim from a different poster. I met two young lads Sulkying..is that a word? That was over 2 weeks ago. Had thought it was a bit sh1te since it was clear disregard for recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

They’re not releasing official figures, I have sent in a FOI request. Considering the resources the creditable source says the state is giving the travellers it’s pretty clear there’s a cluster

Can you share why you felt the need to go to the extremes of making an FOI request on this? Are you conducting some kind of study on the prevalence of illness and disease among the traveling community due to sub-optimal living conditions? Or should I be making an FOI request for the number of Covid-19 cases present in a housing estate in Knocknacarra, for instance? There I was thinking I had enough to worry about right now but do I also need to worry about the presence of cases in random parts of the community with which I have no contact?

Advertisement