Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was slightly wrong too: there's also Topman/Topsham in Edqard Square, which is not open at the moment, but is not permanently closed either.

Personally I don't think anyone knows what the retail scene will look like in six weeks time. Literally anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    There's an ice cream van going around the estates in Knocnacarra today, tunes blaring to lure the kids out... have people completely given up on this whole lockdown idea?!
    The BAST*RD
    When he didn't come to our area

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There's an ice cream van going around the estates in Knocnacarra today, tunes blaring to lure the kids out... have people completely given up on this whole lockdown idea?!

Takeaway food is allowed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Discodog wrote: »
    Takeaway food is allowed .

I don't mind them setting up somewhere for a few hours and putting some form of queue management and customer distancing in place... but jumping between estates for 15mins and having a crowd of kids (with cash) crowded up at the window isnt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayCityCouncil
    Galway City Council has today issued both a ‘Local Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business’ and a ‘Temporary City Mobility Framework Plan’.

The Government Roadmap for Reopening Society and Business, which sets out how the COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted, comes into effect from Monday 18th of May with Phase 1. To align with this national plan, Galway City Council has developed a local roadmap outlining the phases for the reopening of key local authority services in Galway City.

To facilitate new patterns of travel and social distancing requirements, a City Mobility Team (CMT) has been established in Galway City Council. The CMT will consider measures such as wider footpaths, safer cycling facilities, traffic restrictions and supporting businesses who may need the use of public space for social distancing purposes.

Both plans can be viewed at: https://bit.ly/368UW4e

https://www.galwaycity.ie/news/1622/59/Galway-City-Council-issues-Local-Roadmap-for-Restarting-Economy-and-Business/d,News%20Detail

All woods to be open on Monday and Silverstrand carpark to open.

What have the Gardai left to ask us ?

Discodog wrote: »
    What have the Gardai left to ask us ?

??

Where are you coming from? Where are you going? What's the purpose of your journey?

??

Where are you coming from? Where are you going? What's the purpose of your journey?

There are now so many valid answers that it's pointless asking the questions.

• Advertisement

15 May 2020
    There are 3 new cases of COVID-19 in Galway
    This brings to 408 the number of cases in the city and county
    Galway remains at the lower end of the scale of cases nationally
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/3-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-galway/

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/number-of-new-coronavirus-cases-reported-to-health-authorities-lowest-since-march

Galway now has 412 confirmed cases – an increase of 4 new cases according to the latest figures

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/number-of-new-coronavirus-cases-reported-to-health-authorities-lowest-since-march

Galway now has 412 confirmed cases – an increase of 4 new cases according to the latest figures

Its a shame the don't give numbers of current active cases instead of just totals so we could properly gauge if it's decreasing in transmission and at what rate.

Its a shame the don't give numbers of current active cases instead of just totals so we could properly gauge if it's decreasing in transmission and at what rate.

Exactly. The total means nothing & only serves to alarm people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They did announce that country-wide, 70-80% of all cases are confirmed to be fully recovered. So, very ballpark, we probably have less than 100 known active cases in Galway. That’s a tiny number of the total population by any metric.

That could be misleading though.

Just because people are no longer contagious doesn't mean they've fully recovered.

Scientists are only just beginning to find out the effect of this virus on the human body. Some things I've read (didn't note links, sorry) suggest that even though the fatality rate is low, there are substantial long-term consequences which make it worthwhile for human-kind do go its best to eradicate the disease, or at least get it to a status like TB or polio.

With gyms and sports-grounds closed, even those who've had mild doses don't really know the effect it's had on their general fitness.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/6-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-galway-3/

There are 6 new cases of COVID-19 in Galway
    This brings to 418 the number of cases to date in the city and county

From Monday, many road and transport services will resume – including the Kirwan Roundabout upgrade, resurfacing of the N6 near Ballybrit, resurfacing works on the Headford Road, junction safety improvements, and bus shelter upgrade works.

The oral hearing on the N6 Galway City Ring Road Project will not resume until at least Phase 3 at the end of June, subject to notice from An Bord Pleanala.

Public parks will continue to have restrictions in place from Monday due to grass cutting, but will reopen fully to the public during the second phase on June 8th.

Beaches will be fully open to the public from next week – though the diving tower at Blackrock will remain closed until phase 3 on June 29th, as will the public toilets.

The carpark at Silver Strand will open on Monday, while carparks at other beaches will remain closed until at least June 8th, when they are earmarked to reopen subject to Garda advice.

Meanwhile the Prom in Salthill will be fully reopened from Monday, as long as social distancing guidelines are respected.

More in link

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-city-council-launches-roadmap-for-reopening-of-society-and-business/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

google traffic starting to show red back on galway roads.
    shop street has a constant stream of people
    norm sorta returning.

I see some pedestrians on https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/ not many yet though

• Advertisement

That could be misleading though.

Just because people are no longer contagious doesn't mean they've fully recovered.

Scientists are only just beginning to find out the effect of this virus on the human body. Some things I've read (didn't note links, sorry) suggest that even though the fatality rate is low, there are substantial long-term consequences which make it worthwhile for human-kind do go its best to eradicate the disease, or at least get it to a status like TB or polio.

With gyms and sports-grounds closed, even those who've had mild doses don't really know the effect it's had on their general fitness.

Yes, I suppose I would feel more comfortable with some notion of the level of contagion presently out there. I don't want to be lax but it would be nice to have a firm notion as opinions seem to be rapidly swinging towards "ah , its grand!". It would be nice to refute that if there are figures to suggest that there's a rise or a cogent present threat.
    I notice some people, particularly my friends from European countries seem to have completely dropped the ball as they see things returning to normal in their home countries so assume we are just being slow here.

You're completely right that the virus has a long term effect. Research this week suggests 30% of those who require hospitalisation for Covid come out with moderate to severe kidney damage as a consequence of contracting it. Some will require dialysis. They were not all ICU patients either. Then there's the stroke risk to adults as young as 30 and the severe inflammatory disease that is affecting children around 6 weeks after being ill with Covid. One London hospital has admitted 50 children, some to ICU. 2 have died. All we know so far is that this is very contagious and potentially dangerous. It's a moving target though, the full truth will only unfold with time.

Link to kidney damage reporting : https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-kidney-damage-caused-by-covid19

Are taxis running? Has anyone used one or know if they've put any measures in place to help protect you and the driver?
    I was thinking maybe perspex between the front and back.

Are taxis running? Has anyone used one or know if they've put any measures in place to help protect you and the driver?
    I was thinking maybe perspex between the front and back.

They are still running. I think most are asking passengers to use the back seat as a minimum. I've seen ads for car perspex dividers popping up online, don't know if many local drivers have invested yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No problem with Taxis there was quite a few in the Square today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They are still running. I think most are asking passengers to use the back seat as a minimum. I've seen ads for car perspex dividers popping up online, don't know if many local drivers have invested yet.

Taxis have been going the whole time albeit only a few - tended to see the same drivers a lot. At least a couple of vans.

Taxi numbers have varied well to match customer demand.

The NTA has done a number of things to make it possible for drivers to stay legally registered etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A few taxis have heavy plastic between driver and back seat, it's attached by pop stud type connection

So many of the drivers are in that age bracket that could be vulnerable, I'd have thought they'd be staying home. I think the perspex would be good for them though alright, hopefully it's affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Are all set up to take card? It's definitely not swipe though. Paying would be the tricky part, with cash being the worst. It is germ central.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

inisboffin wrote: »
    Are all set up to take card? It's definitely not swipe though. Paying would be the tricky part, with cash being the worst. It is germ central.

Can be ordered and paid online with some of the companies, I know procabs for sure, don't really use others

Advertisement