Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

From Galway Advertiser facebook
    14 new cases of COVID-19 in Galway, according to today's figures. This is one of the highest increases in the city and county. This makes a total of 432.

Rising complacency coming home to roost? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Too early to make a judgement. I think often the number of reported cases is higher on a Monday. Have to wait to see if there is a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The “protesters” out on the Headford road last week might well have something to do with those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The “protesters” out on the Headford road last week might well have something to do with those numbers.

Aren’t these numbers reflecting 3-4 week old activity?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Aren’t these numbers reflecting 3-4 week old activity?

I don't think it's that long. It has an incubation period of UPTO 14 days, so I suppose it reflects behaviour within that window, as late as two weeks ago but could be more recent.
    I think the last week has seen people be more lax, or I've noticed that in my area ,friend group and in social media pic posts of people out with another friend etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I don't think it's that long. It has an incubation period of UPTO 14 days, so I suppose it reflects behaviour within that window, as late as two weeks ago but could be more recent.
    I think the last week has seen people be more lax, or I've noticed that in my area and friend group, facebook posts of people out with another friend etc.

The latest death figures of 4 represent 2 in the previous 24 hours & 2 deaths from April.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A sudden large number, going against the trend, is likely to be a cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Last night they announced there was a new nursing home cluster. They didn't say which nursing home or where but based on the significant uptick, MAYBE it's in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Last night they announced there was a new nursing home cluster. They didn't say which nursing home or where but based on the significant uptick, MAYBE it's in Galway.

I know of one locally where a death occured last week.

That seems to be the rumour.
    I've heard from a very reliable source that it is the case but as I can't quote it I can't say it's absolute fact here.

It would be much more reassuring to know if these figures represent clusters or community transmission.

• Advertisement

The Headford Road checkpoints disappeared a while ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Discodog wrote: »
    The Headford Road checkpoints disappeared a while ago.

Has there been a note?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Seems like six new cases in Galway today. Galway seems to be well out of step with most of the country unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

grbear wrote: »
    Seems like six new cases in Galway today. Galway seems to be well out of step with most of the country unfortunately.

Yes ,I counted 6 .It's 438 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

6 is a small amount.

Great to see numbers falling overall

I meant activity reported tomorrow is likely to be from at least 2 weeks old (cluster or not). Our R numbers will of course go up surely, but that's in a big part due to expanded testing criteria, no?

In other words if there was a demo a week ago, people would only be symptomatic (if even) now, maybe getting tested, and then waiting a week or more for that to show up as a stat.

Our R numbers will of course go up surely, but that's in a big part due to expanded testing criteria, no?

Don't see a reason the R number would go up because of increased or better testing.

If testing was perfect it would show the R number in real time but as it is, it shows it ,(roughly) as it was in an earlier time ,dependent on how long it took to get results .

I don't see how the difference in those two testing regimes would mean one would be more likely to give a higher R number than the other.

If the infective rate of the virus had been actually falling over the period then the better testing regime would give a lower R number but if it was rising then the number it gave would be higher than that given by the more rudimentary regime.

Prepared to be corrected,of course

I meant activity reported tomorrow is likely to be from at least 2 weeks old (cluster or not). Our R numbers will of course go up surely, but that's in a big part due to expanded testing criteria, no?

In other words if there was a demo a week ago, people would only be symptomatic (if even) now, maybe getting tested, and then waiting a week or more for that to show up as a stat.

The demo was over a week after the checkpoints were put in place.

Discodog wrote: »
    The demo was over a week after the checkpoints were put in place.

So less than 3 weeks total? I’m still trying to see how the demonstration could be realistically pinpointed as the reason for higher numbers yesterday?

amandstu wrote: »
    Don't see a reason the R number would go up because of increased or better testing.

If testing was perfect it would show the R number in real time but as it is, it shows it ,(roughly) as it was in an earlier time ,dependent on how long it took to get results .

I don't see how the difference in those two testing regimes would mean one would be more likely to give a higher R number than the other.

If the infective rate of the virus had been actually falling over the period then the better testing regime would give a lower R number but if it was rising then the number it gave would be higher than that given by the more rudimentary regime.

Prepared to be corrected,of course

Of the four people I know that were tested (only one in Galway), none got a result sooner than 3 weeks after showing any sign of a symptom. That’s anecdotal I know but that’s my experience with different people in different areas.

If as many people as in Iceland are asymptomatic and we expand the testing criteria, of course the r number will rise as we will see more people rest positive (we just didn’t suspect they were)

• Advertisement

So less than 3 weeks total? I’m still trying to see how the demonstration could be realistically pinpointed as the reason for higher numbers yesterday?

I don't think the demo is seen as the moment that caused spread especially in a group that live so close together. The demo was a protest against the checkpoints. So whatever caused the checkpoints was there three weeks ago.

Of the four people I know that were tested (only one in Galway), none got a result sooner than 3 weeks after showing any sign of a symptom. That’s anecdotal I know but that’s my experience with different people in different areas.

If as many people as in Iceland are asymptomatic and we expand the testing criteria, of course the r number will rise as we will see more people rest positive (we just didn’t suspect they were)

I still don't think it is obvious but I suspect the answer is mathematically quite complicated and wouldn't know where to look for a good answer.

Unless we have an epidemiologist in the house.....

amandstu wrote: »
    I still don't think it is obvious but I suspect the answer is mathematically quite complicated and wouldn't know where to look for a good answer.

Unless we have an epidemiologist in the house.....

The experts don't even agree, just listen to Joe (kidding). But there yes even among experts there is no one track and even if there were, we don't know that systems are functioning well. Anecdotal evidence is just that but in a country the size and 'connected' as Ireland, we are a bit of an anomaly in terms of anecdotal evidence. Our 2 degrees of separation habits (I don't mean for spreading the virus, just for news), definitely skew other models.

I would hazard a guess that at least a few other boardsies know someone 'high up' in one area or with 'top knowledge' in another, but at the end of the day there is no correct answer, so we are going on logic as much as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not necessarily, because the current test is for active disease, not has-had-it-and-recovered.

I have a totally non scientific hunch that the number who've had a mild version is huge. But we don't know if that will be of any benefit yet.

Not necessarily, because the current test is for active disease, not has-had-it-and-recovered.

I have a totally non scientific hunch that the number who've had a mild version is huge. But we don't know if that will be of any benefit yet.

I agree with your second point. However TONS of pals in the US are being offered antibody tests (even though we don't know if it will offer protection, this leads me to believe they think there is some protection in it?) They are a tenner a pop apparently! Cheap for 'merika!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I do wonder what would happen if I were to receive a blood transfusion from a donor who had recovered from the virus. Would my body then produce the anti Covid 19 antibodies?
    Probably not, otherwise it'd probably be put into practice somewhere by now.
    Anyway not Galway specific just my wandering thoughts, please continue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

flazio wrote: »
    I do wonder what would happen if I were to receive a blood transfusion from a donor who had recovered from the virus. Would my body then produce the anti Covid 19 antibodies?

I'd imagine it would act as a serum (e.g. like anti-venom would), not like a vaccine, so no.

flazio wrote: »

They're actually using this as an experimental treatment right now, well that is to say they're giving people blood plasma from previous patients which contains antibodies. There are some success stories and the NHS in the UK is currently seeking plasma donations from people with a previous positive test that they plan to use to use in research to see just how useful it is.
    There's a little info here : https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/convalescent-plasma-therapy/about/pac-20486440

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

7 new cases in Galway based on today's numbers.

• Advertisement

grbear wrote: »
    7 new cases in Galway based on today's numbers.

So 27 reported in the last 3 days.
    The rumour about a Galway cluster in the last few weeks was that there were 30 suspected cases. Maybe this is what we are seeing. The next few days will tell I guess.
    If it's not a cluster I'd think we might be heading for trouble though.

Advertisement