Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭mjp

grbear wrote: »
    7 new cases in Galway based on today's numbers.

No surprise there and fear for what could happen to our numbers in fortnight's time based on this increase and the amount of traffic and people around Galway City last two days. Carpark at beach in Furbo full today at 4 clock. Still a 5km limit on exercise but serious hold ups on barna Road out as far as spiddal for past week with a flurry of cyclists and judging by their clothing and setup these aren't cyclists out for a short 5 km stroll to shops etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

mjp wrote: »
    Still a 5km limit on exercise but serious hold ups on barna Road out as far as spiddal for past week with a flurry of cyclists and judging by their clothing and setup these aren't cyclists out for a short 5 km stroll to shops etc.

There isn't a 5km limit on exercise, there is no limit on exercise within a 5km radius of home... you can do some serious cycling within that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    There isn't a 5km limit on exercise, there is no limit on exercise within a 5km radius of home... you can do some serious cycling within that.

Ignore, I misread your post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Not sure if this is the right thread( not sure of a lot of things at the moment, ha) but does anyone know if the Racecourse is open yet to walkers/joggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone know when McDonalds drive thrus open in Galway?
    purely to gawk at the hordes descending and chaotic scenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I thought there had been word that it was open for the last couple of weeks with a direction allocated so people weren't bumping into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway City Council would like to confirm that the St Nicholas Saturday and Sunday Markets resume this weekend.

We also confirm that we can accommodate not only local food producers, but also a hot food offering with social distancing, due to the numbers that wish to attend.

Adherence to social distancing and hand hygiene is essential for this to work which will be managed by the Traders at each stall. Galway City Council will monitor the market this weekend and will make changes for next weekend if required.

Galway City Council is currently finalising plans with the Traders on a revised layout which will enable a full return to the Market of all remaining traders in the coming weeks.

Galway Market
    From their Facebook

biko wrote: »
    From their Facebook

They picked a grand day to re open, hope it goes well but think I'll wait for better weather next weekend and pop in for a look and see what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm sure social distancing will be adhered too rigidly.

They picked a grand day to re open, hope it goes well but think I'll wait for better weather next weekend and pop in for a look and see what's available.

I ended up in the market this morning, was a really disappointing set up, no social distancing in place at all. People queuing for hot dogs all up next to each other, poor spacing between stalls, queues overflowing into the next stall etc.. I left immediately.

I thought they could have done much better and put a 1 way system in place but I don't think I'll go back with that set up while we're being asked to social distance.

On a positive note though I walked the prom for the first time since covid-19 and very few people due to the wind so social distancing not bad, however why do some people still insist on walking down the middle of the path!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm sure social distancing will be adhered too rigidly.

The guards have now shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

That's a real shame. But I agree with a previous poster - social distancing was largely absent. A better job could have been done e.g. make it one way through the market, markers showing people where to queue beside stalls etc. There were not the usual number of stalls so there was enough space there to allow for social distancing, just needed to be thought through and action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nuts.

I walked through it about an hour ago and it seemed fine to me. It was nice to see a bit of activity in town again. Weather’s a bit nasty though, the only reason I didn’t hang around long.

Galway City Council on Facebook
    Galway City Council regret that due to lack of social distancing and following the advice of the Gardaí, St Nicholas's market has been closed early today.

The safe operation of the market will be reviewed in the coming days.

tmh106 wrote: »
    That's a real shame. But I agree with a previous poster - social distancing was largely absent. A better job could have been done e.g. make it one way through the market, markers showing people where to queue beside stalls etc. There were not the usual number of stalls so there was enough space there to allow for social distancing, just needed to be thought through and action taken.

Agreed its a shame and needs work before it opens again. With some markers and barriers it could work but that market has always had people on top of each other so could they move it somewhere more spacious in the city I wonder or close the adjacent road during trading times?

Hopefully they can work on the setup this week and have something in place for next Saturday.

Saw two guards standing there. There was no way that's acceptable if a pub running table service cant open until August. If I was a pub owner seeing that today I wouldn't have been happy.

It's a tiny little narrow street, how did they think it would work?.. the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

[Galway City Council regret that due to lack of social distancing good planning on our part and following the advice of the Gardaí, St Nicholas's market has been closed early today.

The safe operation of the market will be reviewed in the coming days.

Did my own press release for Galway City Council

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I walked through it about an hour ago and it seemed fine to me. It was nice to see a bit of activity in town again. Weather’s a bit nasty though, the only reason I didn’t hang around long.

I also walked around it about an hour ago.

IMHO it was anything but fine - that's why I walked around and not through.

It was closed under the watchful eye of the two guards. If there were any city council officials around, they weren't identifiable.

A total **** show.

If you want to support local businesses, I'd suggest ones in shops, which pay rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

It's a tiny little narrow street, how did they think it would work?.. the mind boggles.

According to the City Tribune, there weren’t going to be any stalls in the narrow part of the market. They would only be allowed to set up on the wider area facing the school. Clearly it wasn’t organised properly to ensure social distancing. I do think though that since the slight easing of restrictions this week, a lot of people have pretty much stopped bothering with social distancing. I have seen numerous groups of young people passing the house. Big gang of them congregating outside Supermacs in Salthill today asking adults to buy alcohol for them :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I walked around it as well. There was just something about it. I got out of it quickly and didn't wait around. But there was a lot of people just hanging around. There was queues on top of other queues. It just wasn't up to the standard we have become used to. With a bit of work it'll be grand by next week. Im not sure the residents would be happy but as a temporary measure maybe just close off Lombard street to through traffic. I know it would be a problem for the likes of the car parks but it would make a great job of the market for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I've been told that the Moycullen Market (which reopened on May 8th) is well run and uses a one-way system. Maybe the traders and some City Council reps should go on a fact finding mission to Moycullen next Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Mc Donalds Drive Thru (Headford rd) will be open by June 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone know when McDonalds drive thrus open in Galway?
    purely to gawk at the hordes descending and chaotic scenes

June 3rd
    place is getting preped at present.

I wonder could they arrange something with the school across the road for a few weeks/months. Space the market stands out across the yard. They've done very well from the market for years by running the weekend carpark there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've been told that the Moycullen Market (which reopened on May 8th) is well run and uses a one-way system. Maybe the traders and some City Council reps should go on a fact finding mission to Moycullen next Friday?

I wasn't at the Moycullen Market yesterday, but I visited it the previous two weeks. Because there is a lot of space there and not too many vendors, overcrowding wasn't too much of an issue. There were signs and tape around to encourage social distancing. There wasn't really any one-way system in place. One or two stalls had customers queuing from one side only.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cheers. Calendar being marked

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I wonder could they arrange something with the school across the road for a few weeks/months. Space the market stands out across the yard. They've done very well from the market for years by running the weekend carpark there.

Better yet Eyre Square. Christmas market in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

flazio wrote: »
    Better yet Eyre Square. Christmas market in the summer.

But the grass!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The location of the market is definitely an issue for social distancing. It's a small area really.

• Advertisement

The council have posted a follow-up...
    St Nicholas's market will open tomorrow, Sunday 24th May, for food traders only but will only remain open subject to compliance with social distancing. If any issues arise it will be closed immediately.

Advertisement