Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The council have posted a follow-up...

So more of the punishing the whole class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

But the grass!!!

Trample it!! :)

It would actually be nice during the summer in Eyre Square on nice sunny mornings.
    Wet muddy ground mornings, not so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i would hazard a good guess the xmas market will be a non runner this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Who is in charge of the market? Surely it wasn't up to the individual traders to put adequate measures in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who is in charge of the market? Surely it wasn't up to the individual traders to put adequate measures in place?

No one really organises it. The city-council gives licenses for casual trading, so is left as de-facto responsible overall. But it's no more up to the council to orgnaise queues for market stall than it's up to them to organise queues for other businesses (ones that actually pay rates).

Individual shop owners have to put suitable measures in place for their business. That includes perspex screens to protect staff, adequate hand sanitation for the risks involved (which are quite high if you're handling cash), and crowd management of the customers.

Yes, they have a challenge when they need to make use of space outside of their premises, but it's no different the challenge faced by rate-paying premises.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Time to get rid of social distancing or it will ruin every retail and hospitality business in Galway and the rest of the country

youngrun wrote: »
    Time to get rid of social distancing or it will ruin every retail and hospitality business in Galway and the rest of the country

You really don’t have a clue do you? Absolute insane suggestion. It’s far too much we have opened up as it is we should still be more locked down until we reduce the virus even more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I totally disagree .Lockdown and restrictions wreck people's lives and futures, ruin the economy and businesses and cost lives in the long run. 1 million out of work and Galways economy locally is in a heap. Time to end the cult of social distancing now and get the city back to normal. People's lives and health depend on it. Open the market in full and the rest of the city

1 million out of work and Galways economy locally is in a heap.

Do you have a source for that figure?

The hospitality industry is in trouble. The rest, not so much.

Even then, how do you think so many cafes and takeaways are opening up again? If people were poor/unemployed, they wouldn't be patronising them.

Effectively we are at war with a virus. Wars cause changes in economies, but the are often a great stimulant to spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I totally disagree .Lockdown and restrictions wreck people's lives and futures, ruin the economy and businesses and cost lives in the long run. 1 million out of work and Galways economy locally is in a heap. Time to end the cult of social distancing now and get the city back to normal. People's lives and health depend on it. Open the market in full and the rest of the city

Time to end the cult of social distancing...
    ....people's lives and health depend on it

My word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

If anything the lockdown will be coming back if this is the attitude. I can't believe that people didn't take it on themselves to socially distance at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway City Council regret that due to lack of social distancing and following the advice of the Gardaí, St Nicholas's market has been closed early today.

The safe operation of the market will be reviewed in the coming days.
    From their Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GalwayCityCouncil/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Remember when UCHG was among the worst hospitals for patients on trollies waiting for admission? You want to go back to that and more?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How do people like this not feel embarassed?

pjohnson wrote: »
    How do people like this not feel embarassed?

That is the norm from that poster since this began. Poor quality trolling if you ask me.

Guys, if you have issue with posts then report the posts. Accept that people have different opinions, and not everyone thinks like you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Same people say that vaccines are bad and 5g is the devil

Wacko jackos exist everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I wonder could they arrange something with the school across the road for a few weeks/months.
    According to the City Tribune, there weren’t going to be any stalls in the narrow part of the market. They would only be allowed to set up on the wider area facing the school.

I could think of no more congested place in Galway than the market so was wondering how it would pan out. I was lamenting that fact that the food hall in the space next to the Connacht Tribune couldn't be used as it's weather independent and is large enough to space the traders and keep people apart. However, being outdoors is sensible but just in a new space. The docks, s'parch, eyre square, any ol carpark would do. In the right location the full market could come back with spacing and being outdoors hopefully minimise the risk.

BTW, I had an errand at Argos which was very well setup but STILL don't have contactless payment. I was shocked when I also went into Lidl at the lack of social distancing. It felt like blatantly disregard by several in there with only a minority making an effort. It is a very small space too in fairness but just like the young poster above I felt a vibe of people being fed up and not caring anymore..

I didn't go to the market yet but I hope it's back to "normal" soon, love that place and the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Well it's back today... but be prepared to walk away if it's busy or closed again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

zell12 wrote: »
    Cheers. Calendar being marked

U better start queuing from today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Well it's back today... but be prepared to walk away if it's busy or closed again!

It’s an embarrassment down there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wasn't there but saw quite a few pics on facebook. I noticed that really no one was wearing a mask.
    I haven't really been out this week due to sick of the non-covid variety. Has mask wearing become a thing here at all since it was recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wasn't there but saw quite a few pics on facebook. I noticed that really no one was wearing a mask.
    I haven't really been out this week due to sick of the non-covid variety. Has mask wearing become a thing here at all since it was recommended?

Not really. I'd put mask wearing at around 10% - maybe 20% at most. There were more people wearing masks about six weeks ago.

Arghus wrote: »
    Not really. I'd put mask wearing at around 10% - maybe 20% at most. There were more people wearing masks about six weeks ago.

Recommendation is to wear them in busy shops or public transport - or other places where social distancing isn't possible.

They are of little to no value when social distancing is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Recommendation is to wear them in busy shops or public transport - or other places where social distancing isn't possible.

They are of little to no value when social distancing is possible.

Social distancing being possible doesn't mean social distancing is probable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Was in town for the first time since early March today. Shop Street was busy. 2m spacing widely ignored, serious effort to avoid people brushing past.

All the open coffee shops have queues and didn't see one with actual 2m spacing. One coffee shop on Upper Abbeygate Street actual have queue markers across the street... so other pedestrians have to filter through the queue for coffee!

Fingers crossed numbers don't grow in the local community, it's rife to flare up if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Was in town for the first time since early March today. Shop Street was busy. 2m spacing widely ignored, serious effort to avoid people brushing past.

All the open coffee shops have queues and didn't see one with actual 2m spacing. One coffee shop on Upper Abbeygate Street actual have queue markers across the street... so other pedestrians have to filter through the queue for coffee!

Fingers crossed numbers don't grow in the local community, it's rife to flare up if it does.

Myself and my girlfriend were in town earlier too and in fairness we thought in general most people were making an effort to leave space. We queued for boots and for a coffee at espresso 44 on shop street and everyone kept well back from each other on both occasions.

There will always be an amount of people with no regard for others though and perhaps it got worse as the day went on!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

testtech05 wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend were in town earlier too and in fairness we thought in general most people were making an effort to leave space. We queued for boots and for a coffee at espresso 44 on shop street and everyone kept well back from each other on both occasions.

There will always be an amount of people with no regard for others though and perhaps it got worse as the day went on!
    When you buy coffee, If the guy at the machine has covid, is there a chance that you get it ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    When you buy coffee, If the guy at the machine has covid, is there a chance that you get it ?.

Of course there is! That's why they should wear gloves and a mask at least.

Advertisement