Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

saabsaab wrote: »
    Of course there is! That's why they should wear gloves and a mask at least.

And how / where do you safely de-mask (including washing your hands) before consuming the coffee?

People really aren't thinking the masking thing through.

It’s been too much or a risk for me for me anyway, I wouldn’t even go into galway never mind buy a coffee far too risky imo. I’m surprised at how much people are buying takeaway food and coffees I haven’t touch anything not prepared myself (or someone in my household) since before the lockdown and I am a person who buys lunch everyday and eats takeaway multiple time’s per week normally.

Most of the people in town shouldn’t be in there either wandering round queuing for food or coffees is madness and total disregard for the serious virus situation.
    And how / where do you safely de-mask (including washing your hands) before consuming the coffee?

I’d imagine they are talking about the person making the coffee.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Plastic straws are going to make a comeback....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The hysteria on this thread is ridiculous. Do you all hide from the flu when there’s an outbreak of it? The facts don’t lie and the evidence is mounting this is not as serious virus as we thought. 0.25% death rate in Germany, 0.8% in New York. The scaremongering and 2nd wave talk has zero evidence but plenty pointing to the fact there won’t be one - New Zealand and Australia are a case in point heading into their winter.
    Look at your local supermarkets, people haven’t gotten sick. Irish Times article, only 10 out of 4,000 Lidl staff got sick and all recovered.
    If you’re vulnerable then don’t go into the city and give out about others ‘brushing past’ you. Stay at home or go somewhere quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

...not as serious virus as we thought. 0.25% death rate is Germany, 0.8% in New York.

The death rate in Ireland is around 6.5%.

Yes a lot of those are elderly and vulnerable, but it moves across the country through the community, many of which will have mild symptoms.
    If you’re vulnerable then don’t go into the city and give out about others ‘brushing past’ you. Stay at home or go somewhere quiet.

What if you're not vulnerable and you want to get around within the public guidelines without having others brushing past you?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The hysteria on this thread is ridiculous. Do you all hide from the flu when there’s an outbreak of it? The facts don’t lie and the evidence is mounting this is not as serious virus as we thought. 0.25% death rate is Germany, 0.8% in New York. The scaremongering and 2nd wave talk has zero evidence but plenty pointing to the fact there won’t be one - New Zealand and Australia are a case in point heading into their winter.
    Look at your local supermarkets, people haven’t gotten sick. Irish Times article, only 10 out of 4,000 Lidl staff got sick and all recovered.

Couldn't agree more .
    This country needs to get back to work quickly .
    The Irish media played their part with putting the fear of God into people .
    This virus effects the elderly and those with health issues because of their life choices ( smokers / obesity ) .
    Came as no surprise to hear that a large percentage of those on the covid payment ( €350 per week ) are better off than when they were working .
    It's nuts that Ireland won't be fully opened until August 10th !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

and those with health issues because of their life choices ( smokers / obesity ) .

What a smug and incorrect comment. Plenty of people have health issues that they didn't bring upon themselves.

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Yes a lot of those are elderly and vulnerable, but it moves across the country through the community, many of which will have mild symptoms.

What if you're not vulnerable and you want to get around within the public guidelines without having others brushing past you?

The death rate is in Ireland is absolutely not 6.5%, you’re just using the case fatality ratio to try and ‘prove’ your point and keep people afraid. It will be somewhere like Germany’s when all is said and done.

If you’re not vulnerable, you shouldn’t be going onto a thread giving out about perfectly healthy people walking around the city on a sunny day, especially outdoors. The 2 metre guideline which was plucked from thin air is being debated currently at national level because it’s unworkable...

I understand this thread is in relation to Galway businesses etc, which will be destroyed by this lockdown. You’ll find me on the relaxation of restrictions if you want to keep debating

0.25% death rate in Germany, 0.8% in New York.

The death rate in Germany is 4.6%.
    8,371 deaths from 180,176 cases.

The death rate in New York 7.9%.
    29,231 deaths from 371,033 cases.

Those rates will increase as most of those cases are still active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The hysteria on this thread is ridiculous. Do you all hide from the flu when there’s an outbreak of it? The facts don’t lie and the evidence is mounting this is not as serious virus as we thought. 0.25% death rate is Germany, 0.8% in New York. The scaremongering and 2nd wave talk has zero evidence but plenty pointing to the fact there won’t be one - New Zealand and Australia are a case in point heading into their winter.

I agree. But you’ll get slaughtered in here by the baying mob for offering that point of view. Brace yourself.

A few people (not very many that I’ve come across in the real world to be fair) have lost their collective minds and all sense of perspective. There’s 30-40 odd current active cases in the whole of Galway county but there’s people out there advocating we don’t go outside the door. Until when? God knows. If people feel the need to do that, then go ahead and do so by all means, but please don’t get uppity and upset when everyone else doesn’t want to join in. Of course the vulnerable and elderly should continue to be particularly cautious.

The restrictions are lifting - slowly. Much too slowly in my opinion. But lifting they are.

The death rate in Germany is 4.6%.
    8,371 deaths from 180,176 cases.

The death rate in 7.9%.
    29,231 deaths from 371,033 cases.

Those rates will increase as most of those cases are still active.

You’re just using the case fatality ratios as I said. That’s not the death rate. From mass testing of German towns, and New Yorkers the death rates were found to be 0.25% and 0.8% respectively. In multiple areas including mass testing of Icelandic’s, Italian towns in the north of Italy and other areas in Asia 40-50% of people with Covid are asymptomatic. All of this information is on medical journals and news sites.
    The case numbers you’re counting and deaths also mean nothing as some countries don’t test only if you’re in hospital, others test a lot, some just count hospital deaths, here in Ireland were using nursing home deaths, people with cancer that die with Covid, etc. And it will still be very low.

The death rate is in Ireland is absolutely not 6.5%, you’re just using the case fatality ratio to try and ‘prove’ your point and keep people afraid.

Suggesting you should downplay the virus and ease the restrictions based on death rates of the total population rather than cases is illogical as that number is controlled by those very restrictions!
    If you’re not vulnerable, you shouldn’t be going onto a thread giving out about perfectly healthy people walking around the city on a sunny day, especially outdoors.

Unfortunately there are people walking around today that have the virus and will not realise for another week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Is it f**k 6.5%! No idea where you are getting that from.

Redo91 wrote: »

1,608 deaths from 24,639 cases.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ireland
    Coronavirus Cases:
    Deaths:
    Recovered:

The math suggests 6.5% of those who have tested positive have died.

We don't know the extent of asymptomatic cases or mild cases that went untested, but going on the figures available to us that is the percentage. You have to remember we have been under a serious lockdown, it hasn't had a chance to spread much throughout the community, so we don't know if it is an accurate reflection or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So it's come to this. We no longer believe in math.

I haven't heard the argument that we shouldn't take the death rate to be the number of cases divided by the number of deaths. Care to enlighten us sheeple?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Does anyone know if the clothes section in the Dunnes in briarhill is open

JoeA3 wrote: »

The restrictions are lifting - slowly. Much too slowly in my opinion. But lifting they are.

The way people are behaving, and going by some of the opinions in here I would be not at all surprised if in a few weeks we see a step back towards a more strict lockdown as people are being very very stupid.

We should not have eased as much as we currently have, a very very strict lockdown should have been maintained for at least another month (along massive restrictions on travel into the country) we could have really driven this virus out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

loriexxx wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the clothes section in the Dunnes in briarhill is open

It was 10 days ago.

• Advertisement

The way people are behaving, and going by some of the opinions in here I would be not at all surprised if in a few weeks we see a step back towards a more strict lockdown as people are being very very stupid.

We should not have eased as much as we currently have, a very very strict lockdown should have been maintained for at least another month (along massive restrictions on travel into the country) we could have really driven this virus out.

You’re right, really we should stay locked up forever. And maybe take an odd stroll down Shop Street to give dirty looks & stare at people that might have the audacity to ‘brush past’ them going about their daily business. As another poster replied, they could all have Covid. Best treat them as such despite Galway having hardly any active cases.

Do you think we should ask the rest of the EU and U.K. for a bailout too? To keep paying our bills while we’re ‘hiding from covid’. They are going to be fully reopened by July. Schools have been back in Denmark since mid April and they’re reporting no deaths from Covid for the past week. But don’t let facts get in the way of the hysteria. Keep peddling those case fatality ratios too, they’ll make you all feel much better and more fearful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Both Pucan & Taafes posted videos on social media today about 'getting ready'... Do they know something we don't know?

Or are they going to start a takeaway service also?

I haven't heard the argument that we shouldn't take the death rate to be the number of cases divided by the number of deaths. Care to enlighten us sheeple?

Number of confirmed cases! Big difference. There are many more thousands of cases we haven’t confirmed. Deaths are accurate because these people have invariably been tested but due to the backlog in testing initially, resulting in people never getting tested at all, plus the fact many people are asymptomatic, the confirmed cases figure isn’t accurate at all.

It’s not a true reflection at all of the death rate of people who have this when we have no idea how many actually have it.

If people want to pretend it’s deadlier than it is off with ye. But it’s a fact that far less than 6.5% of people that have Covid-19 die from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This virus effects the elderly and those with health issues because of their life choices ( smokers / obesity ) .

What about people with health issues that aren't because of their life choices?.. ( CF/Heart defects /dementia), Kids and adults alike.

Thankfully most people aren't selfish and have followed guidelines in place to protect the vulnerable people in our society.

Too many people think they know more about the virus than actual experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hint: where are you getting the number of cases from? (The number of cases, not the number of positive tests.)

6 wrote: »
    What about people with health issues that aren't because of their life choices?.. ( CF/Heart defects /dementia), Kids and adults alike.

Thankfully most people aren't selfish and have followed guidelines in place to protect the vulnerable people in our society.

Too many people think they know more about the virus than actual experts.

You’re right it is very selfish of me that I want the children of Ireland to be freed from their 8+ weeks of imprisonment, no shops, playground, nothing. No education only ‘distance learning’ that has well and truly started running out of steam. Poor children are frowned upon if they enter any shop at all. They can’t really leave the 2km and now 5km zone effectively. And don’t even get me started on the severe loneliness and anxiety I’m hearing of developing in these children. It will be disastrous for their development.
    It’s so selfish of me to want cancer screening to recommence to I won’t have to attend so many more sad funerals of parents who leave behind young children.
    It’s also very selfish of me to want people to start living instead of hiding in fear, try and get their businesses they’ve spent their lives building back off the ground, try and save as many jobs as possible.
    I’ve stated many times on the relaxation of restrictions thread - those who are vulnerable and have underlying conditions should of course take precautions, wear protective gear - adhere to social distancing, etc.
    However that does not mean a population of 5 million people should also have to do the same for no reason. The fit and healthy should be out earning, generating taxes and employment and our children should be out learning and developing.
    Our reopening plan should be sped up, cases examined closely and keep social distancing for the time being. As for the 5km rule, it’s a complete joke. Families, friends, loved ones separated until July 20th in many cases and for what. Will I catch Covid going 5.5km or 6km tomorrow?
    If we get fine weather later this week, are we going to have busybodies heading to the beaches taking pictures of people who dare try and enjoy life?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ok, say most restrictions are removed tomorrow. Then in a months time there is again a rapid spread how do you feel about a new lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People assume that's there been loads of asymptomatic cases or unconfirmed cases and so that provides justification to downplay the potential threat of the illness.

"Sure it isn't that bad: only old people and the already ill die from it."

But there's no actual hard evidence that there's piles of undiagnosed cases out there: it's a lot of hope casting based on dubious antibodies studies from elsewhere.

People saying that the fatality rate is 0.25% or 0.5% aren't basing this on established fact: they are basing this on the unproven assumption that there's a huge amount of undiagnosed cases out there. But there's no hard evidence for this: none.

But there is hard evidence that the fatality rate in confirmed cases in Ireland is upwards of 5% - but that's always argued away in favour of convienent and unproven assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's fine to be against lockdown in this thread as long as
    * you don't break government mandated protocols
    * you're discussing it in a civil manner
    * you keep discussion about Galway, if it's not about Galway then there are other threads and forums you should go to.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    People assume that's there been loads of asymptomatic cases or unconfirmed cases and so that provides justification to downplay the potential threat of the illness.

"Sure it isn't that bad: only old people and the already ill die from it."

But there's no actual hard evidence that there's piles of undiagnosed cases out there: it's a lot of hope casting based on dubious antibodies studies from elsewhere.

People saying that the fatality rate is 0.25% or 0.5% aren't basing this on established fact: they are basing this on the unproven assumption that there's a huge amount of undiagnosed cases out there. But there's no hard evidence for this: none.

But there is hard evidence that the fatality rate in confirmed cases in Ireland is upwards of 5% - but that's always argued away in favour of convienent and unproven assumptions.

There’s evidence that around 40% of cases are asymptomatic. Considering the amount of confirmed cases then of course it’s the case that there are many thousands more undiagnosed. There is no evidence that the fatality rate is upwards of 5%. None.

Advertisement