Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Well I've been told there was a blast of people , as in hundreds on the lash in the hole in the wall last night. They need to shut that place down. And the rest of them will be closed by Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Well I've been told there was a blast of people , as in hundreds on the lash in the hole in the wall last night. They need to shut that place down. And the rest of them will be closed by Monday

So many people either don't understand or don't care what's going on at the moment. No personal responsibility from some people and they are happy to continue helping this thing to spread. If people don't adhere to a simple ask of reducing movement then what's the next step!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

From the kid's point of view this is a larf. Without broader restrictions they won't take it seriously... and how far should we freak them out? One child in KNS came home with a proper schedule of course work while the other st St Marys was sent home with little to do so only down to mrsbeard did he have assignments to do while we both worked from home. I was on the phone nonstop from 9-1pm which was a bit of a shock to our new arrangement.

My young fella(1st yr) came home from marys too with no homework.didnt bring so much as a book ,thinks he has a 2 wk holiday! Ill do a bit at home here with him,but i'm surprised nothing was even posted online for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Give out about the young people all you like, the behaviour I've seen by the over 50's in the supermarkets this week has been nothing short of disgraceful and idoitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some rumors removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

biko wrote: »
    Some rumors removed.

Unfollowed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

biko wrote: »
    Some rumors removed.

Most of this thread is rumours & false news and has no relevance to Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yes but the blatant scaremongering one is a step too far, come on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Was booked for Sunday back to Cork, got a call on Thursday afternoon saying their services are being curtailed. Decided to postpone the trip home altogether, risk of 1) being on public transport where it is avoidable and 2) Citylink pulling services at short notice.

Seems a bit off of a decision - the people booked for the express services now put on normal services. More people in the buses = less chance of gaps between people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Does anyone know if the recycling centre in Liosban is closed? Or have a phone number for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Addle wrote: »
    Reminder that children are not meant to be out and about...

parents and kids all out in my estate yesterday, laughing joking, touching each other regularly, kids rolling around on the grass with each other, i couldn't believe my eyes, it's not fućking midterm break ffs, people really can be dumb as shít

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Seen so many young lads out today in tracksuits up to no good thinking their gangsters.

Why do the parents think this is a 2 week holiday

'parents' and 'think' is the fundamental issue

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I imagine town will be jammers today? I was gona head up during the week by bus but was offered a lift up this morning. Thinking i shud take advantage +avoid the buses, +get things done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

pure.conya wrote: »
    parents and kids all out in my estate yesterday, laughing joking, touching each other regularly, kids rolling around on the grass with each other, i couldn't believe my eyes, it's not fućking midterm break ffs, people really can be dumb as shít

What s wrong with that
    Normal behaviour
    This crisis seems designed to force changes in human behaviour
    Very odd and Orwellian or worse dystopian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Active Fitness and Kingfisher gyms closed temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

youngrun wrote: »
    What s wrong with that
    Normal behaviour

More than a thousand people have died in Italy in the last week because they ignored this just like most of Ireland is ignoring it now. We’re about 2 weeks behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭obi604

Is warehouse still open?

youngrun wrote: »
    What s wrong with that
    Normal behaviour

We are being specifically told to alter our standard behaviour.

In your own words, it’s a “crisis” so we need to change how we act. Normal behaviour needs to be re thought for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

1. The best way to reduce the spike in cases and associated deaths is to change human behaviour. Explicitly to avoid close contact between humans. This such be self evident.
    2. With regards to Orwellian or dystopian behaviour there is a conspiracy thread for that bolix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pen Rua wrote: »

Seems a bit off of a decision - the people booked for the express services now put on normal services. More people in the buses = less chance of gaps between people...

Nope. People should only be travelling for work or essential shopping or healthcare at the moment. If you don't have to go somewhere, then stay the f*** at home.

So even the multi stops should be 1/2 empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All supermarkets should be controlling entry anyway so theres no more than 100 people in at any time. I know a lot of places wouldn't have that many but the bigger tescos etc would

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I imagine town will be jammers today? I was gona head up during the week by bus but was offered a lift up this morning. Thinking i shud take advantage +avoid the buses, +get things done

You imagine wrong, it's dead as expected by most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Nope. People should only be travelling for work or essential shopping or healthcare at the moment. If you don't have to go somewhere, then stay the f*** at home.

So even the multi stops should be 1/2 empty.

Yes, I agree (also why I decided against heading home since it was not essential).

I was trying to say: the Galway-Cork Express is now cancelled. This means those who still wish to travel must now use the Galway-Limerick-Cork service. The Express service is always busy, and allowing for those who abandoned trips, the G-L-C service will likely have more passengers than usual and therefore no empty seats between passengers.

My point more so is: Citylink should not have cancelled their Express services. They now operate less services to accommodate the same amount of people (minus some who abandoned).

You imagine wrong, it's dead as expected by most.

Heard from someone in town that there are certainly some places very busy, Smyth’s is supposed to be very busy for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ficheall wrote: »
    The advice from the medical profession in general is to use soap and water where possible, as this washes the sebum, to which the virus sticks, off your hands and down the sink. Santizers kill the virus if the alcohol content is high enough and it does not evaporate before it has had a chance to do its job.
    Seems I can't edit my earlier post so here is a more accurate description of how soap/sanitizer works; apologies for the incomplete info given earlier.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Heard from someone in town that there are certainly some places very busy, Smyth’s is supposed to be very busy for example.

City centre is very quiet, as I said. Might pick up a little in the afternoon but it certainly ain't gonna be 'jammers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I was in a shop this morning and there was a couple in there with their two young kids. The kids were about 3 & 4 and were all dressed up for the weather. They also had red runny noses. The youngest child then proceeded to cough openly on top of all the muffins and scones, then moved over to the door of the fridge and began to cough all over that.

Why can people not be sensible now, if you are a couple then one of you should stay at home with the kids while the other goes out to get essential supplies.

The cashier then tried to get me to hand over my bank card even though I was trying to tap it. I had to actually say to her that I wanted to tap and not hand over my card. The message is just not getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

obi604 wrote: »
    Is warehouse still open?

Yes, and NRG.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Yes, and NRG.

Thanks. Wonder will they end up closing

Advertisement