Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

American CDC have published its latest information re their death rate estimates for Covid 19.

They estimate 0.25% death rate in the general population, 0.4% death rate in those who show symptoms. Both are well under 1% fatality rate.
    It also estimates that 35% of US citizens are asymptomatic. Its information in relation to children being affected by Covid show they are statistically more likely to be hit by lightning than to be seriously affected by Covid 19.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/new-cdc-data-on-covid-19-828847530.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

For those of you with teenagers i'm curious to ask about this. My son has had a big sour head on him since the weekend as 'all' his friends are visiting each other in groups (presumably with parental blessing as lifts are involved). He's especially grumpy because friday is the last day of school and there's lots of meetups happening he's missing out on. Very hard to reason with a teenager at the best of times but doubly hard when 'all' his friends seem to be flouting the rules.

* 'all' in quotes because teenagers/trump always say EVERYBODY says this or is doing that.

i wouldn't mind if he could pick one or two friends from responsible families to try and keep the circle limited but when it's a bigger group and they are all hanging out with other big groups then it defeats the purpose of all this.

I wonder what percent of parents caved into their grumpy teens weeks ago? I know as we endure this for potentially a year or more we'll need to adopt a different mentality but I'm not in that mindset yet and we're still doing our best to stay in.

Are most of us still taking this seriously or has the sun and duration just been too much?

Just curious what others are doing / seeing with your own teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

For those of you with teenagers i'm curious to ask about this. My son has had a big sour head on him since the weekend as 'all' his friends are visiting each other in groups (presumably with parental blessing as lifts are involved). He's especially grumpy because friday is the last day of school and there's lots of meetups happening he's missing out on. Very hard to reason with a teenager at the best of times but doubly hard when 'all' his friends seem to be flouting the rules.

* 'all' in quotes because teenagers/trump always say EVERYBODY says this or is doing that.

i wouldn't mind if he could pick one or two friends from responsible families to try and keep the circle limited but when it's a bigger group and they are all hanging out with other big groups then it defeats the purpose of all this.

I wonder what percent of parents caved into their grumpy teens weeks ago? I know as we endure this for potentially a year or more we'll need to adopt a different mentality but I'm not in that mindset yet and we're still doing our best to stay in.

Are most of us still taking this seriously or has the sun and duration just been too much?

Don't have a teen myself but 2 good friends do. One is a allowed to see their bf and a close friend, as my friends thought this was a better option than harsher measures that would be disobeyed. The other has a very introverted teen who is happy to stay in his room and play games online with his mates. I see big groups of teens all the time, no distancing. More often than not, just walking of after sports (what did they expect after opening sports grounds), and of course a few gangs bushin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

inisboffin wrote: »
    Don't have a teen myself but 2 good friends do. One is a allowed to see their bf and a close friend, as my friends thought this was a better option than harsher measures that would be disobeyed. The other has a very introverted teen who is happy to stay in his room and play games online with his mates. I see big groups of teens all the time, no distancing. More often than not, just walking of after sports (what did they expect after opening sports grounds), and of course a few gangs bushin'.

Don't have teens. Have young kids luckily so not dealing with this problem. I think the approach mentioned here is the best way forward.

Also, I have only been in the city once since the first week of March but when I was in there were a sh1t load of young people all hanging out together. My sense of age by looking at people is way off these days, I couldn't tell the difference between a college student and a secondary schooler now so they may have been students who opted to stay on and work in the city but probably not all of them.

I don't really blame them much though. I was in my mid 20's when Swine Flu hit and I didn't take it all that seriously and caught the f*ckin' thing. You don't reach full maturity by that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

American CDC have published its latest information re their death rate estimates for Covid 19.

They estimate 0.25% death rate in the general population, 0.4% death rate in those who show symptoms. Both are well under 1% fatality rate.
    It also estimates that 35% of US citizens are asymptomatic. Its information in relation to children being affected by Covid show they are statistically more likely to be hit by lightning than to be seriously affected by Covid 19.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/new-cdc-data-on-covid-19-828847530.html
    That source seems dubious in the extreme. No links to the sources of all the figures they're throwing out. If they're taking info from the CDC, why don't they link to the report?

A bit of digging shows that newswire.ca is "...a commercial press release service owned by Cision. Cision Distribution services in Canada are powered by Canada Newswire. The service is offered stand-alone or as part of its flagship Cision Communications Cloud platform for PR professionals." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNW_Group) and the Montreal Economic Institute that wrote the article have dubious objectives (https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/montreal-economic-institute-continues-moves-from-the-fringe-by-appointing-joe-oliver)

I can't find any sign of the figures they're quoting on the CDC website itself. The most recent figures they give (25th May at the time of writing) report the total number of cases in the US as 1,637,456 and the total number of deaths in the US as 97,669. Which if my maths are correct, works out as a 5.94% mortality rate.

Open to correction on this. Only spent 5mins looking into it.

Edit: Found one mention of this on CNN and it was an article debunking the revised numbers: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/04/politics/cdc-coronavirus-death-toll/index.html

Edit2: Just spotted connemara_mans post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ha! Ya it's funny how they're always the only poor unfortunate who's missing out. All his mates are apparently waited on hand and foot and allowed do whatever they want at all times.

We've let ours meet a small group of friends last weekend. I'm reasonably happy that they maintained some semblance of social distancing but who knows. We've nobody that's in a high risk category so that's not a concern. I guess you just have to decide on what you're comfortable with. Hopefully our decision won't come back to bite us in the ass, but who knows.

xckjoo wrote: »
    That source seems dubious in the extreme. No links to the sources of all the figures they're throwing out. If they're taking info from the CDC, why don't they link to the report?

A bit of digging shows that newswire.ca is "...a commercial press release service owned by Cision. Cision Distribution services in Canada are powered by Canada Newswire. The service is offered stand-alone or as part of its flagship Cision Communications Cloud platform for PR professionals." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNW_Group) and the Montreal Economic Institute that wrote the article have dubious objectives (https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/montreal-economic-institute-continues-moves-from-the-fringe-by-appointing-joe-oliver)

I can't find any sign of the figures they're quoting on the CDC website itself. The most recent figures they give (25th May at the time of writing) report the total number of cases in the US as 1,637,456 and the total number of deaths in the US as 97,669. Which if my maths are correct, works out as a 5.94% mortality rate.

Open to correction on this. Only spent 5mins looking into it.

It's also reported on CNN and other news outlets and is on the CDC website. Don't have time to get a link now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

None of this is Galway news if you want to chat in general about infection rates head over to the Covid forum

Fair enough that it's not specifically Galway news, just responding to posts on here a few days ago who were saying the death rate was much higher using case fatality ratios. This is the link to the info from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Also ahead of the upcoming fine weather, people should realise that those who go out and about should not be vilified, we should all have strong evidence as to why we are still under these current restrictions which are so slow to be lifted. It's sad that so many Galway families won't be able to go to a beach during the nice weather when it is such a rarity that we get these weather conditions.

• Advertisement

Fair enough that it's not specifically Galway news, just responding to posts on here a few days ago who were saying the death rate was much higher using case fatality ratios. This is the link to the info from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Also ahead of the upcoming fine weather, people should realise that those who go out and about should not be vilified, we should all have strong evidence as to why we are still under these current restrictions which are so slow to be lifted. It's sad that so many Galway families won't be able to go to a beach during the nice weather when it is such a rarity that we get these weather conditions.

You are in here promoting breaking lockdown, excusing people breaking it and trying to down play the very serious nature of the virus with fudged articles holding zero facts or figures. Our death rate is 6.5% until it can been proved other wise. Without the lockdown you so strongly want removed we would be losing thousands of people to this virus.

Beaches in Galway should 100% remain closed and hopefully patrolled by the guards to endure compliance, kids should not be playing together on greens and people should not be wandering around town coffee on needless trips among many other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yes Nox, so you keep telling us.

Thankfully you’re not at the controls, and your militant ideas will remain in your head only.

A ice cream parked up along the spainish arc, crowds big enough around it that would make the xmas envious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A ice cream parked up along the spainish arc, crowds big enough around it that would make the xmas envious

Had a few of the Monroe's pints have you?

Had a few of the Monroe's pints have you?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Beeches in Galway should 100% remain closed and hopefully patrolled by the guards to endure compliance, kids should not be playing together on greens and people should not be wandering around town coffee on needless trips among many other things.

Sorry nox, I couldn't resist...

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-trees.jpg

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yes Nox, so you keep telling us.

Thankfully you’re not at the controls, and your militant ideas will remain in your head only.

Nothing militant whatsoever these are the rules that we are all supposed to be adhering to not the disregard we are seeing in the city and being excused by some who just refuse to accept the seriousness of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Nothing militant whatsoever these are the rules that we are all supposed to be adhering to not the disregard we are seeing in the city and being excused by some who just refuse to accept the seriousness of the situation.

Beaches are open now as of last date/milestone. Some were open before that but only for locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whatever they're called they serve food. That's the definition of a restaurant.

But do they have a restaurant licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No new cases of Covid-19 have been reported in Galway in the past 24 hours.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/no-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-galway-3/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There is a 36 year old staff nurse in UCHG and mother of 2 very seriously ill with covid and on ventilation.
    These are the people to think of when you're out having pints or decrying how hard staying home is. Not everyone gets the choice to avoid this.

https://connachttribune.ie/uhg-nurse-battles-for-her-life-in-icu-180/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There is a 36 year old staff nurse in UCHG and mother of 2 very seriously ill with covid and on ventilation.
    These are the people to think of when you're out having pints or decrying how hard staying home is. Not everyone gets the choice to avoid this.

https://connachttribune.ie/uhg-nurse-battles-for-her-life-in-icu-180/

And she has no underlying health conditions. Yet you still have some eejits saying that it's "just a flu"

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Tell your son you love him to much to let him out with friends who's parents are such careless idiots,just for the moment until you see if there's a second or third wave within 2 or 3 weeks of the ease of restrictions, he'll thank you for being a responsible parent if things kick off and people in his circle start getting sick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

9 new cases reported in Galway this evening .

It can spread so rapidly, apprehensive about it and rise

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Ya cases looks like going rocket up again, I hope not but crowds round all week point to this. Salthill has being extremely busy, big groups everywhere, same round Spanish arch. Takeaway pint places are doing massive business by looks of it i.e Monroe's and Oslo mainly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

9 new cases is a lot, especially the case numbers for today was 46 or there abouts. Is there any information about todays Galway cases? Are they community transmissed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

owlbethere wrote: »
    9 new cases is a lot, especially the case numbers for today was 46 or there abouts. Is there any information about todays Galway cases? Are they community transmissed?

The problem is it could be one nursing home or even results from weeks ago.The system is so unreliable & you can only take the wider trend.

The relaxations from Monday won't show for at least two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Discodog wrote: »
    The problem is it could be one nursing home or even results from weeks ago.The system is so unreliable & you can only take the wider trend.

The relaxations from Monday won't show for at least two weeks.

Deaths can take a few weeks to show up or come through alright. Ireland had 9 deaths from covid19 today. My understanding from what I quoted though is that there's 9 new covid19 cases today. I hope the new cases being reported today are not old cases going back a few weeks ago. That wouldn't be great for the contact tracing aspect of this.

Advertisement