Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

JoeA3 wrote: »
    :D

Give the Gardai a break man... now they're expected to catch and severely fine those who think about breaking the law. I think I saw this movie too. Tom Cruise was in it.

Well the organisers would be a good place to start and I think anyone with half a brain knows I was just reinforcing my point that this should be severely dealt with

You have been very complacent in general but between this and your post in the other thread it is close to defending the protest going ahead which is astonishing to say the least and really proves how little you know and/or care about the virus and how it’s spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Well the organisers would be a good place to start and I think anyone with half a brain knows I was just reinforcing my point that this should be severely dealt with

You have been very complacent in general but between this and your post in the other thread it is close to defending the protest going ahead which is astonishing to say the least and really proves how little you know and/or care about the virus and how it’s spread.

Lighten up. I have less than zero interest in the "protest".

You have no idea in the wide world what I know / what I care / how this virus affects me, so don't presume otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It was just on tv3 news that 92 people have been admitted to hospital in the past 24hrs with suspected covid..
    Around 20 percent need hospitalisation to my knowledge. That means there are a lot more new cases out in the community than are being reflected in the officiall numbers.

Hopefully not the start of the second wave.

I really do hope not to be saying "I told you so" to the number of posters here with a lax attitude to the dangers of the virus and pushing for more opening up of the country which many have said should not happen yet due to the risk of the virus spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

I see that the BLM thread has been closed. GARN have pulled out but the protest is going ahead without them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I really do hope not to be saying "I told you so" to the number of posters here with a lax attitude to the dangers of the virus and pushing for more opening up of the country which many have said should not happen yet due to the risk of the virus spreading.

You know that saying "I told you so" is always optional, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You know that saying "I told you so" is always optional, right?

Know your audience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Oh please, there's no second wave coming. Do you know how many Galway Secondary Schools travelled to the North of Italy during its outbreak?
    Do you realise there is no evidence of second wave anywhere in Europe, they are able to go to restaurants, coffee shops, and retail unlike us. What is your proposal? Fence off all of Galway & vilify anyone who dares step out of line of social media?
    How many Galway businesses do you want to crumble before you say enough? How many people's mental health do you want affected before you say, stop? Do you see your supermarket workers dropping like flies? No they're not, only 10 out of 4000 cases in Aldi and no deaths. How do you explain that if the virus is so lethal?
    The figures are in double digits for ages now, and deaths are minor. Do you know over 100 people per day died in 2019 in Ireland? NOT FROM COVID. Check official statistics if you're not.
    Do we close the country everytime someone dies? Do people realise after the age of 85 a lot of us will die?
    Hope the narrowminded Galway sheep on this thread get a rude awakening when the Covid €350 runs out & they're continuing to 'not welcome' outsiders. Disgraceful attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Everyone dies eventually.

But we still don't know what medium to long term damage this virus does to human beings.

If it's as devastating as polio, then we'd definitely want to stamp it out.

If it's more like the flu, then we can live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Everyone dies eventually.

But we still don't know what medium to long term damage this virus does to human beings.

If it's as devastating as polio, then we'd definitely want to stamp it out.

If it's more like the flu, then we can live with it.

I think I already posted this but I had Swine Flu and was pretty much asymptomatic. It kicked my arse for months and years after. In the very least they are saying there is a long term impact on lung capacity and immunity is likely to only last months. If your lungs are still recovering and you get it again, it could be bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yoy reckon the Dublin march was council approved?

Nope, in which case they can enforce the laws brought in for COVID-19 to disperse the crowd and fine people, if they want to. I could understand if they were caught on the hop by the one in Dublin.

They specifically went through getting these temporary powers in place. Tell people if they show up they will be fined and it will go away. Let them book it for a future date pending how the phases go.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I think I already posted this but I had Swine Flu and was pretty much asymptomatic. It kicked my arse for months and years after. In the very least they are saying there is a long term impact on lung capacity and immunity is likely to only last months. If your lungs are still recovering and you get it again, it could be bad news.[/quote\]

The scaremongering is alive and well.
    Anyone who has a severe illness could have long term affects from any virus. We didn’t lock down the country for Swine Flu, are you suggesting we should have?
    99% + cases of Covid are mild- FACT. Check it out on any official platform.

Do you drive? There’s a risk from that? Do you walk outside your house? Risk! Do you travel? Risk! Will we just hide under our beds until a vaccine which may never come or be needed appears?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I think I already posted this but I had Swine Flu and was pretty much asymptomatic. It kicked my arse for months and years after. In the very least they are saying there is a long term impact on lung capacity and immunity is likely to only last months. If your lungs are still recovering and you get it again, it could be bad news.

My doctor was able to tell me I had swine flu when he gave me a blood test for something else. I hadn't even noticed. Not a bother on me since. The odd oink maybe but I can handle that.

What does it all mean?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The scaremongering is alive and well.
    Anyone who has a severe illness could have long term affects from any virus. We didn’t lock down the country for Swine Flu, are you suggesting we should have?
    99% + cases of Covid are mild- FACT. Check it out on any official platform.

Do you drive? There’s a risk from that? Do you walk outside your house? Risk! Do you travel? Risk! Will we just hide under our beds until a vaccine which may never come or be needed appears?

Geee I'm convinced, some dude on the internet knows better than all the government officials, medical professionals, the immunologists and virologists. All these professionals must not have a clue...the guy on the internet with a chip on his shoulder should be running the show.

Open up folks, everyone was wrong, this guy over here knows it all.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Geee I'm convinced, some dude on the internet knows better than all the government officials, medical professionals, the immunologists and virologists. All these professionals must not have a clue...the guy on the internet with a chip on his shoulder should be running the show.

Open up folks, everyone was wrong, this guy over here knows it all.

What about the medical experts in Europe? Are they wrong and ours right? I don't think so.
    Is Simon Harris who thought there were 18 other coronaviruses correct? Are these the 'experts' in government you're talking about? Himself and Leo who supported a mass gathering in Dublin at the weekend? (But that's ok because...?)
    Does Ireland have different special data to the ECDC and the rest of Europe?
    Or is it Tony Holohan who has such a great reputation with the Cervical Cancer sandal on his CV that you trust the most over all international medical evidence? I think I'll trust the German's, French, Danish, Spanish, Italian (whose borders opened today), Belgian, Dutch, Swiss, etc. Even the UK are streets ahead of us at this stage. London is reopening, they've no travel km limit and their R0 is only 0.4. I could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What about the medical experts in Europe? Are they wrong and ours right? I don't think so.
    Is Simon Harris who thought there were 18 other coronaviruses correct? Are these the 'experts' in government you're talking about? Himself and Leo who supported a mass gathering in Dublin at the weekend? (But that's ok because...?)
    Or is it Tony Holohan who has such a great reputation with the Cervical Cancer sandal on his CV that you trust the most over all international medical evidence? I think I'll trust the German's, French, Danish, Spanish, Italian (whose borders opened today), Belgian, Dutch, Swiss, etc. Even the UK are streets ahead of us at this stage. London is reopening, they've no travel km limit and their R0 is only 0.4. I could go on...

Please don't

6 wrote: »
    Please don't

Reality bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Really hope that the planned march is stopped.

You don't honour an innocent person being killed by potentially letting other innocent lives be lost.

You don't get to post a self congratulatory Instagram story by staying at home though. That's all half of these "protestors" care about.

They have the same opinion, nearly all EU countries reacted the same, the timing depended on the countries infection rates. So you aren't really thinking at all are you?
    Knowledge changes, people react based on the best knowledge at the time... and yes I am saying these people are better informed than you. Not to mention the government is made up of more than one person. We could all name and shame one person for one incident if we dug deep enough. I'll say it again, they are better informed than you.Was not aware of the march at the weekend that was a mistake but one mistake does not make you suddenly the expert and everyone else wrong about a much broader issue.
    Or is it Tony Holohan who has such a great reputation with the Cervical Cancer sandal on his CV that you trust the most over all international medical evidence?

Yes Ireland does have some different data, our stats are different from other countries, our response is driven by these stats.
    Are you saying every country should do the exact same thing at the exact same time regardless of their own stats?
    Are you saying you know better than Tony Holohan? does the cervical screw-up make you the expert and him unqualified? I think he has been doing an excellent job, you can keep banging the drum about an unrelated screw-up if you want.
    I think I'll trust the German's, French, Danish, Spanish, Italian (whose borders opened today), Belgian, Dutch, Swiss, etc. Even the UK are streets ahead of us at this stage. London is reopening, they've no travel km limit and their R0 is only 0.4. I could go on...

Bad news, have you actually looked at these countries responses?
    France just lifted some restrictions, Netherlands not lifting travel restrictions till mid June, Belgium just beginning to open up. Different countries need to and are responding differently, even taking that into account you are still way off. So coming up with some rubbish and shouting "FACT" does not make you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Even the UK are streets ahead of us at this stage. London is reopening, they've no travel km limit and their R0 is only 0.4.

https://twitter.com/JonJonesSnr/status/1268234688428150786?s=19

"Streets ahead of us"

• Advertisement

250,000 active cases.
    40,000 dead and many more to come no doubt.

Street ahead indeed.

They have the same opinion, nearly all EU countries reacted the same, the timing depended on the countries infection rates. So you aren't really thinking at all are you?

Knowledge changes, people react based on the best knowledge at the time... and yes I am saying these people are better informed than you. Not to mention the government is made up of more than one person. We could all name and shame one person for one incident if we dug deep enough. I'll say it again, they are better informed than you.Was not aware of the march at the weekend that was a mistake but one mistake does not make you suddenly the expert and everyone else wrong about a much broader issue.

Yes Ireland does have some different data, our stats are different from other countries, our response is driven by these stats.
    Are you saying every country should do the exact same thing at the exact same time regardless of their own stats?
    Are you saying you know better than Tony Holohan? does the cervical screw-up make you the expert and him unqualified? I think he has been doing an excellent job, you can keep banging the drum about an unrelated screw-up if you want.

Bad news, have you actually looked at these countries responses?
    France just lifted some restrictions, Netherlands not lifting travel restrictions till mid June, Belgium just beginning to open up. Different countries need to and are responding differently, even taking that into account you are still way off. So coming up with some rubbish and shouting "FACT" does not make you right.

No what is a fact is in France they can sit in a restaurant and coffee shop in groups from this week while here in Ireland we cannot for weeks to come. Belgium are reopening Schools and lifting restrictions. Why are they and we’re not even though we’ve far less cases and deaths?
    Denmark have reopened schools since mid April using social pods, etc., and no spike. Why are we not using data from these countries?
    And don’t pretend our ‘data’ is different - we’ve had minuscule cases and deaths compared to a lot of these countries. What is the current criteria for lifting the restrictions? Why are we just being told we’re not ‘there’ yet? Where is ‘there?’ The curve is flattened for weeks, the R0 is below 1 for weeks.
    I’m not saying I know more than others, I’m saying I can read & analyse information critically which it seems most of the population cannot.
    If you’re all happy to sit and ‘wait it out’, so be it. Interesting how people can actually be led to believe that on June 8th, suddenly going 20km as opposed to today will be ‘safe’. Where is the science behind that?

6 wrote: »
    250,000 active cases.
    40,000 dead and many more to come no doubt.

Street ahead indeed.

Ireland - Population 5 million at a push.
    U.K. - population 66.65 million - one of the most densely populated counties in Europe.
    They locked down too late, but are much more efficient in reopening than we are.
    The Nightingale hospital in London wasn’t needed as the expected surge in Covid patients needing treatment never came...but I suppose we can all feel better bashing the U.K. while simultaneously praising our crew for effectively hiding behind NPHET for the past few weeks and making zero decisions themselves. We’ll see who needs the bailout & who gets their economy up and running in the next few weeks...
    The EU are just offering us €1.9 billion to date...but I suppose putting food on the table will be a secondary worry to the Covid issue then too?

Ireland - Population 5 million at a push.
    U.K. - population 66.65 million - one of the most densely populated counties in Europe.
    They locked down too late, but are much more efficient in reopening than we are.
    The Nightingale hospital in London wasn’t needed as the expected surge in Covid patients needing treatment never came...but I suppose we can all feel better bashing the U.K. while simultaneously praising our crew for effectively hiding behind NPHET for the past few weeks and making zero decisions themselves. We’ll see who needs the bailout & who gets their economy up and running in the next few weeks...
    The EU are just offering us €1.9 billion to date...but I suppose putting food on the table will be a secondary worry to the Covid issue then too?

13 times more people.
    25 times the death rate and it'll be much much more than that.

The Uk have handled this disastrously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Interesting how people can actually be led to believe that on June 8th, suddenly going 20km as opposed to today will be ‘safe’. Where is the science behind that?

I was going to type more but **** it, not worth it as your spewing the same ****e every couple of pages.

The government is taking a cautious approach and thank God for that.
    And don’t pretend our ‘data’ is different - we’ve had minuscule cases and deaths compared to a lot of these countries.

Weren't you complaining about our health minister, our taoiseach and the chief medical officer in your previous post?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

deaths are minor.
    There are one thousand six hundred and fifty nine families who believe that the death of their loved ones is anything but minor with more to come.

flazio wrote: »
    There are one thousand six hundred and fifty nine families who believe that the death of their loved ones is anything but minor with more to come.

That’s true of course and may they all RIP. Interesting the way you just took 3 words and used it out of context. What about the approx 100 other people that die in Ireland per day of non Covid illness? How many more will that be with healthcare shut down?
    That was the point I was making. Unfortunately we will all die of something some day.

The government is taking a cautious approach and thank God for that.

Weren't you complaining about our health minister, our taoiseach and the chief medical officer in your previous post?

I give up, believe what you want. The only thing they did right was lockdown quickly in my view. We’ll see in a few months if you’re still staunchly defending their actions and roadmap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Some people have appeared disgusted that we kept our death rate low since the start.

They spent weeks idolising Sweden and yesterday even Sweden suggested they got it very wrong and caused needless death.

Some people seem to have just wanted more death and keep idolising the worst possible countries as being better than Ireland.

Advertisement