Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Folks, this thread is for local virus news.
    Feel free to use the Covid forum for general dicussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Live update on the news now, all good news and an acceleration on restrictions.

Can go anywhere now in Galway county so Connemara etc.. opened to all Galway people

Great news and really positive news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Great. Common sense and logic prevails in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Great. Common sense and logic prevails in the end.

From the very start the Government have stated that they would envision the phases being accelerated so this was always on the cards. Common Sense has been there from the start.

Live update on the news now, all good news and an acceleration on restrictions.

Can go anywhere now in Galway county so Connemara etc.. opened to all Galway people

Great news and really positive news
    Source RTE live
    We have agreed with National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) on the new travel of up to 20km or travel within your county
    twitter.com/rtenews/status/1268904340263239682

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/
    Easing the COVID-19 restrictions on 8 June (Phase 2)
    Stay Local: You may travel within your own county, and up to 20 kilometres from your home if crossing county boundaries.

• Advertisement

Common Sense has been there from the start.

For some, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has the establishment handled the crisis perfectly? No.
    Have they handled it very well? I think yes.

In other news, great to live in the second largest county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Trespass shop in Eglinton St was re-stocked yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The Trespass shop in Eglinton St was re-stocked yesterday.

Opened monday

Too much too soon, pandering to the minority mob imo. We should have held tight and kept things stricter for longer for the good of the nations health.

Throwing caution to the wind could wind us up in full lockdown again.

• Advertisement

Try and be a bit optimistic Nox... it’s a good news day for a change imo.

The same government you were lauding for doing a superb job a few weeks ago have concluded that it’s safe to speed up the return to normality (or the “new normal” or whatever you want to call it). The “minority mob” is much larger than you imagine.

All going well you’ll be back in your local with a pint and a ham and cheese sandwich before the end of the month.

Opened monday

Reopening next Monday I think. Def wasn't open this Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Too much too soon, pandering to the minority mob imo. We should have held tight and kept things stricter for longer for the good of the nations health.

Throwing caution to the wind could wind us up in full lockdown again.

Back at the beginning of March I questioned if they'd be able to complete the hearings for the ring road. You scoffed at the idea of that at the time. You've gone from extreme denial to the extreme on the other end of the spectrum.

My son hasn't been to school since March 6th. We took him out before the Government recommended it. I didn't so much as go into a grocery shop from March 7th up until a couple of weeks ago. I was due to take a flight on at the beginning of March and cancelled it before airlines were giving credits or refunds. All before Government guidelines and lockdowns. While people were making light of it on social media and on here.

With that said, I am now of the opinion it's time to start easing restrictions. I don't have visibility into the testing capabilities of the Government but if they feel they are ready with it to go into a containment phase, who am I to question that? I feel like they have done a pretty good job through the pandemic so I trust them enough with this decision to support it.

I haven't been out much to see how people have been doing but I feel like they couldn't have done a better job with messaging. I can tell from my extended family's reactions that the face coverings, hand washing and social distancing is being practiced by the majority of people. That in itself could help us to contain any outbreaks.

At this point, staying with heavy restrictions may cost lives rather than save. Cancer screenings need to recommence. How many people haven't been for tests on something that may endanger their lives because of this?

With restrictions being eased. I don't see a major change in how I'll proceed personally. I'll continue to work from home, I'll limit trips to shops, no chance in hell I'll go to a pub!

I hope they limit pubs to table service for the foreseeable future, even past the final phase. We're a nation of p1ssheads. With a few pints in, social distancing and proper hand hygiene will go out the window. It could become impossible to contain when every city or decent sized town has an outbreak from one bank holiday weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Good news alright, but not much sense that I cannot go to Claremorris from Tuam (regular stop for us), but I can go anywhere from Clifton to Ballinasloe!.... (140km)

I wonder would Cong be allowed, we normally go that way on our way to Leenaun and Letterfrack, and it's right on the border.

Are we even allowed holidays in Galway, weekends etc. For a staycations, or homecations(TM) ?

Is a trip to the Aran islands allowed (day or stay) ?

ForestFire wrote: »
    Good news alright, but not much sense that I cannot go to Claremorris from Tuam (regular stop for us), but I can go anywhere from Clifton to Ballinasloe!.... (140km)

I wonder would Cong be allowed, we normally go that way on our way to Leenaun and Letterfrack, and it's right on the border.

Are we even allowed holidays in Galway, weekends etc. For a staycations, or homecations(TM) ?

Realistically, aside from the Aran Islands (unless you’re a good swimmer) make your own mind up. You’re not likely to run into any enforcement issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

CMO warning tonight peanuts and a pint don't make a meal when pubs serving meals open, now while I respect what he is saying if I'm having a pint and peanuts and my friend is having a burger and chips we are still in a pub irrespective of who is having a meal. Is the CMO overstepping his area of responsibility??

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/pints-and-peanuts-do-not-make-a-pub-a-restaurant-dr-tony-holohan-1003707.html

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

You're going all over the place here, Tuam to Claremorris, Leenaun and Letterfrack via Cong, Aran Islands. There's nowhere open to stay until 29 June so you won't be holidaying anywhere till then. As for driving, I've not seen or heard of any checkpoints in the last week, so any drive you take is up to you but, as with the last few months, be prepared to answer questions of where you are going, why, and where you are coming from, if you are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Regarding staycations within the county, unless you have your own holiday home or caravan/camper there's nowhere to stay until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

As for driving, I've not seen or heard of any checkpoints in the last week, so any drive you take is up to you but, as with the last few months, be prepared to answer questions of where you are going, why, and where you are coming from, if you are stopped.

I was stopped twice last week. No questions asked but tax and insurance checked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Common sense is being asked for. They want people to stay local for another few weeks. Places like Sligo are now 3 weeks virus free they don't want everyone to descend on the place and make tracing people impossible. Rural people have spent the last while complaining that the 5km or 20km rule didn't help them so they have come up with this as a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I see there's a protest going ahead anyway. Smh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You don't get to post a self congratulatory Instagram story by staying at home though. That's all half of these "protestors" care about.

https://twitter.com/influencersitw/status/1268916126190272514?s=19

Looks like at least a couple of hundred in Eyre Square. Ugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Ficheall wrote: »
    Looks like at least a couple of hundred in Eyre Square. Ugh.

Clearly pushing a different agenda than all loves matter.
    Lot of banners saying end direct provision

And no masks or social distancing.

Edit: The photo I'd seen was the incorrect one from the Connacht Tribune. I'm sorry it went ahead, but there were admittedly more masks and social distancing than I'd hoped for.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/9-more-deaths-from-covid-19-24-new-cases-no-new-cases-in-galway-for-fourth-consecutive-day/

9 more deaths from COVID-19, 24 new cases, no new cases in Galway for fourth consecutive day

biko wrote: »
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/9-more-deaths-from-covid-19-24-new-cases-no-new-cases-in-galway-for-fourth-consecutive-day/

9 more deaths from COVID-19, 24 new cases, no new cases in Galway for fourth consecutive day

Conclusion ... we don't have widespread community transmission here at the current time.

Worth keeping this in mind if anyone is reading the WHO guidelines about face-coverings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Conclusion ... we don't have widespread community transmission here at the current time.

Worth keeping this in mind if anyone is reading the WHO guidelines about face-coverings.

The message on masks\face coverings has been pretty inconsistent throughout. Simon Harris and co recommended them pretty early on for those with symptoms to prevent the spread (as did WHO). At the same time, they told people to behave as though they already have the virus...which, should mean wear a mask. With it possible to be asymptomatic, it could have made a lot of sense for everyone to wear masks when out and about early on to help slow the spread. I remember ealy on during one of the daily briefings they had said they didn't want to create a rush on masks that were needed by healthcare workers.

That makes a lot of sense too but wonder why they didn't go the route of some US states and provide recommendation for making your own.

Around March and April with allergy season, a push to emphasize masks would have made even more sense. Remove any element of indecision for those who figured it was probably just their usual spring allergies.

Hindsight is 2020 though and I'm sure they had their reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The message on masks\face coverings has been pretty inconsistent throughout. Simon Harris and co recommended them pretty early on for those with symptoms to prevent the spread (as did WHO). At the same time, they told people to behave as though they already have the virus...which, should mean wear a mask. With it possible to be asymptomatic, it could have made a lot of sense for everyone to wear masks when out and about early on to help slow the spread. I remember ealy on during one of the daily briefings they had said they didn't want to create a rush on masks that were needed by healthcare workers.

That makes a lot of sense too but wonder why they didn't go the route of some US states and provide recommendation for making your own.

Around March and April with allergy season, a push to emphasize masks would have made even more sense. Remove any element of indecision for those who figured it was probably just their usual spring allergies.

Hindsight is 2020 though and I'm sure they had their reasoning.

I wonder if it was simply that there weren't enough masks.

• Advertisement

I read in the paper today that making masks mandatory on public transport is very much on the cards now.

Advertisement