Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/bishop-of-galway-to-celebrate-sunday-mass-on-galway-bay-fm/
    The bishop of Galway will be celebrating mass live on Galway Bay FM tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/bishop-of-galway-to-celebrate-sunday-mass-on-galway-bay-fm/
    The bishop of Galway will be celebrating mass live on Galway Bay FM tomorrow.

Hopefully Keith enjoys the sermon and tells everyone about it Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Claddagh church is live-streaming daily prayer and mass every day:

9.40am Morning Prayer (Lauds)
    10.00am Mass
    6.40pm Evening Prayer (Vespers)
    7.00pm Rosary

https://www.dominicanscladdagh.ie/live-webcam/

(You may not appreciate it - your mammy / granny might.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Are the pubs busy in Galway. Everyone keeping social distance now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

saabsaab wrote: »
    Are the pubs busy in Galway. Everyone keeping social distance now?

Nah last night if anything they were busier. All the students out getting pissed drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Nah last night if anything they were busier. All the students out getting pissed drunk

Didn't look like that to me. I walked through Woodquay last night and I thought all the pubs looked noticably quieter. You could count all the people in Caribou if you looked through the window. There was less people around in general. Maybe it was busier elsewhere, but it didn't look it from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Arghus wrote: »
    Didn't look like that to me. I walked through Woodquay last night and I thought all the pubs looked noticably quieter. You could count all the people in Caribou if you looked through the window. There was less people around in general. Maybe it was busier elsewhere, but it didn't look it from what I could see.

FWIW, Caribou (and its sister pub in Cork, Impala & presumably their Dublin pub) are closing for the two week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Arghus wrote: »

Wasn't in town myself but a friend's bf works in pucan and apparently it was thronged all evening/night!!

McGinns, Monroes and Roisin Dubh have announced on Facebook that they're closing for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

McGinns, Monroes and Roisin Dubh have announced on Facebook that they're closing for a few days.

Monroes and Róisín tend to have pretty packed nights as opposed to 'quiet pint' settings. Fair play to them, they are doing the right thing. Haven't been in McGinns in ages, do they get thronged? I know a fair few who go for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

testtech05 wrote: »
    Wasn't in town myself but a friend's bf works in pucan and apparently it was thronged all evening/night!!
    Social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

O'Connor's Salthill closing for the moment.

Lough Inn Woodquay, Glynns and Porterhouse Oranmore closed after this evening.

Source: Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Monroe's closed their live venue upstairs, have they closed entirely? Can't see anything online to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Monroe's are giving free coffee to HSE workers, who displayed their badges. Fair play to them.

And well done to the pubs closing up and doing their bit to drive home the fact we have to reduce social interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ive a feeling the pub owners know full well they are gonna be told to close very shortly and are getting the publicity for doing it a day early

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ive a feeling the pub owners know full well they are gonna be told to close very shortly and are getting the publicity for doing it a day early

Even so, fair play for doing it and leading by example.

Monroe's closed their live venue upstairs, have they closed entirely? Can't see anything online to confirm.

you're right: I definitely saw a post earlier from the, but it's not on-line any more. Possibly was being scheduled and sent live a day early by mistake.

I've heard a story this evening from a well-placed source which backs up this theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

FitzShane wrote: »
    Monroe's are giving free coffee to HSE workers, who displayed their badges. Fair play to them.

And well done to the pubs closing up and doing their bit to drive home the fact we have to reduce social interaction.

Hmm I don’t buy it...I mean fair play but a day before they announced that they’ll close upstairs and downstairs will be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

On Facebook this evening I’ve seen announcements from monroes, Róisín Dubh and Massimos that they are closing temporarily due to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

TGO Falafel are locking up shop now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Confirmed now on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Blue note closed too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saturday ghost town
    https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Everything bar groceries, fuel and pharmacies should be shut already

MadYaker wrote: »
    Everything bar groceries, fuel and pharmacies should be shut already

Considering some of those are among the lowest paid in the workforce e.g. Minimum wage in Joyces Supermarkets, personally, if I was a staff member I'd be saying to the bosses there's no way I'd be going near customers without PPE in the form of gloves and face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why would you wear a facemask?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

To protect others from the brunt of your own coughs/sneezes.

biko wrote: »

OMG that’s batsh1t crazy quiet :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Front door has being rammed the last three nights. Most pubs have closed for business for the next two weeks. This place isnt even sticking to the 100 person advice laid out by the government.

Advertisement