Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

blueshark2 wrote: »
    No new cases in Galway for 10 days now. :)

Wouldn't it be great if it stayed like that.

We will probably import a case or two from another county or country. Maybe cases might also spike a bit. Any body else notice people relaxing about the protocol involved and needed going forward? There's definitely more traffic, more people meeting and getting together, I've noticed less good manners around cough etiquette and hand washing too. Not with me now mind you. I choked on my spit and coughed and I stepped outside to cough into my elbow. I'm always washing my hands. I'm definitely seeing more people relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

owlbethere wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if it stayed like that.

We will probably import a case or two from another county or country. Maybe cases might also spike a bit. Any body else notice people relaxing about the protocol involved and needed going forward? There's definitely more traffic, more people meeting and getting together, I've noticed less good manners around cough etiquette and hand washing too. Not with me now mind you. I choked on my spit and coughed and I stepped outside to cough into my elbow. I'm always washing my hands. I'm definitely seeing more people relaxing.

Definetly. And the guidance coming out is a bit looser goosey too.. grandparents can have a 'quick' hug, but no, have no close contact at the same time.. baffles me. was in town today and didn't see as much masks as I thought at all. Think we might see an increase maybe next week or week after with the travel restrictions lifted. Good news for Galway but we aren't clear yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Its bound to shoot up a bit once the pubs are open. Its not like a bit of food will stop the virus. But itll be nice to have some form of normality for a while.

Is there a site where you can see how many were tested in Galway per day? We are are at 10 days no new cases but I'm curious how many tests were carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Having seen how far back in the nasal passage the swab has to go im not surprised to hear those sort of stats. A natural reaction would be to pull back when someone is pushing the swab that far back and then reducing the accuracy of the result. Hopefully a more accurate system is discovered quickly. Blood or urine would be a better system if they can discover someway of using it.

I've been getting great use out of blood and urine for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They clusters aren’t living in isolated islands they interact with others, they shop, they have kids etc.

They are locking down the area the factory is in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is there a site where you can see how many were tested in Galway per day? We are are at 10 days no new cases but I'm curious how many tests were carried out.

As far as I know, the number of tests carried out on a daily basis is only being published for the whole country

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Friend has a wife with a medical condition has been tested three times at the Airport on each occasion she was the only one there nurse told her they have very few calling now

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Friend has a wife with a medical condition has been tested three times at the Airport on each occasion she was the only one there nurse told her they have very few calling now

Most hospitals have a 15 minute test machine that's used for its own staff/patients

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Strange article in the Irish Times today.
    The number of Covid-19 clusters in private houses has reached 500, surging by 110 clusters - a 28 per cent increase - in a single day, new official figures on the disease show.

The most recent daily report from the State’s Health Protection Surveillance Centre shows that the number of clusters increased from 358 on Saturday to 390 on Sunday to 500 on Monday.

A cluster is defined as two or more people being infected with the disease in one location.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-clusters-in-irish-houses-surged-to-500-last-monday-1.4288367

How can this be happening while daily figures reported for the whole country remain in middle single digits?

• Advertisement

Strange article in the Irish Times today.

How can this be happening while daily figures reported for the whole country remain in middle single digits?

That's a very strange article indeed...any more enlightened on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Maybe a re-classification of existing or old cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The R figure for Germany has fallen below 1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any word on when GoBus and Citylink are getting back on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Any word on when GoBus and Citylink are getting back on the road?

CityLink anmounced 31 july several weeks ago.

No word from GoBus yet. But Burkes extended their service this week.

Less than 10% of people on Irish public transport wore a mask today despite it being mandatory now.

33 bus workers died in London of Covid when we didn't really know masks helped.
    It's such a shame we would let anything happen to even 1 just out of sheer laziness and knowing full well the effect it can have.

I had assumed that drivers would refuse anyone without a mask, how else is it going to be forced on those who refuse to comply?

I had assumed that drivers would refuse anyone without a mask, how else is it going to be forced on those who refuse to comply?

Seems they cannot refuse. There's no way to enforce it. The mentioned it on the news tonight. It's madness that people aren't willing to do it for the greater good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Less than 10% of people on Irish public transport wore a mask today despite it being mandatory now.

33 bus workers died in London of Covid when we didn't really know masks helped.
    It's such a shame we would let anything happen to even 1 just out of sheer laziness and knowing full well the effect it can have.

London bus workers got it from each other.

How many Irish bus workers got sick?

What's our pollution level vs Londons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They should be mandatory on a bus. Common sense.

Parts of Portugal are on lockdown again due to new outbreaks-the cause? A combination of people not adhering to the rules such as mask wearing, crowding into bars and restaurants and generally having complete disregard for best practices of remaining Covid free.
    Our businesses in Ireland at least will hopefully adhere to the rules since they’ll be threatened with closure otherwise/ which leaves personal responsibility, or lack, thereof- unfortunately I think this will be the key reason we’ll see a rise in clusters and further numbers infected.

Major spike in Croatia also, after a period of suppression borders opened and things started going back to normal and now they are back to peak April numbers again.

It’s a travesty that travel into the county is not going to be severely restricted for many months to come. We are in a good place now but allowing people into the county is pretty much guaranteed to destroy all the good work I just can’t understand the logic.

Verified essential travel in or out with mandatory 2 weeks isolation on entering the country should be the minimum requirements.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Seems they cannot refuse. There's no way to enforce it. The mentioned it on the news tonight. It's madness that people aren't willing to do it for the greater good though.

"God forbid I should be inconvenienced". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Gardaí were on public transport during the early stages making sure only necessary journeys were being taken. They should return and make sure masks are being worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Major spike in Croatia also, after a period of suppression borders opened and things started going back to normal and now they are back to peak April numbers again.

It’s a travesty that travel into the county is not going to be severely restricted for many months to come. We are in a good place now but allowing people into the county is pretty much guaranteed to destroy all the good work I just can’t understand the logic.

Verified essential travel in or out with mandatory 2 weeks isolation on entering the country should be the minimum requirements.

You’re saying 67 cases from a nightclub in Croatia means we should ban ALL travel with no just cause? Zero active cases on the Canary’s...
    Can’t say I’m surprised seeing as you didn’t want the restrictions lifted here...

You’re saying 67 cases from a nightclub in Croatia means we should ban ALL travel with no just cause? Zero active cases on the Canary’s...
    Can’t say I’m surprised seeing as you didn’t want the restrictions lifted here...

Right now we have 1% of normal traffic through Dublin Airport.
    25% of the cases we had yesterday were associated with travel.

Cases are rising all over the world where lockdowns have been eased. Tony Holihan has said he is "beyond worried" about the effect travel will have on our prospects here.
    That's not just the possibility of death of elderly citizens. It's risk of a decimated economy and health service for all.
    I don't understand how you'd balance that risk with the "needs" of some to go splash in a pool for a week.

It's a lot more than 67 cases. Of course I want travel restricted, oly a fool wouldn't. We are ahead of the virus here and travel will bring it back, many of the cases were are getting here the past week are travel related. i also do believe we should have been more cautious with the opening up yes but that horse has bolted now.

Graph for Croatia:

518341.png

We are in that dip they had with almost no cases, once we start letting selfish idiots into the country we can expect a similar trend to their increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So are ye saying that travel to all countries should be banned indefinitely until every other county gets their sh1t together? No exceptions.

It's a bit too much IMO, and I think that identifying problem areas and restricting them would be more helpful. As pointed out, the Canaries don't have any cases at the moment so travel to that location at the moment obviously has a lower risk that travelling to USA. Or contrast travelling to New Zealand and Brazil. Should both destinations fall under the same umbrella ban? I don't think they should.

The UK has been criticized a lot for initial their response to the pandemic. Different areas have seen different levels of the virus spread so their response now is to re-issue localized lockdowns in Leicester, rather than the whole of UK. Should a farmer in the remote parts of Scotland or Wales have to go into lockdown again because an area in a city over 200km away is at a different level? At this stage IMO no. As far as I know, Leo has pretty much said that Ireland would be the same if there are further outbreaks and that localised lockdowns would come back in, not a national lockdown.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    So are ye saying that travel to all countries should be banned indefinitely until every other county gets their sh1t together? No exceptions.

It's a bit too much IMO, and I think that identifying problem areas and restricting them would be more helpful. As pointed out, the Canaries don't have any cases at the moment so travel to that location at the moment obviously has a lower risk that travelling to USA. Or contrast travelling to New Zealand and Brazil. Should both destinations fall under the same umbrella ban? I don't think they should.

The UK has been criticized a lot for initial their response to the pandemic. Different areas have seen different levels of the virus spread so their response now is to re-issue localized lockdowns in Leicester, rather than the whole of UK. Should a farmer in the remote parts of Scotland or Wales have to go into lockdown again because an area in a city over 200km away is at a different level? At this stage IMO no. As far as I know, Leo has pretty much said that Ireland would be the same if there are further outbreaks and that localised lockdowns would come back in, not a national lockdown.

Whats wrong with exploring parts of ireland youve never seen this year instead of doing the usual sun holiday in costa del crappo?

Advertisement