Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Well happy days!

Now ourselves and the UK are the only two countries in Europe accepting American tourists.
    It's in the New York Times today that these are the only two options now for US tourists planning a holiday abroad in the EU.
    That makes us the only sensible option for such tourists,as our virus levels are nothing compared to the UKs.
    So we will all can expect to be enjoying our "staycations" sharing dining rooms and lounges with Americans/Covidians and coming home with more than a stick of rock as a souvenir.

From my understanding of it, we were invited to participate in the ban but when it came down to it, the fact we share an open border with the UK who would not join in the ban, we were not included but we're still free to enforce our own.

I think our biggest threat is likely people from the England.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Interesting article in the NY Times about Sweden that is summarised here. Links to the NY article within if you want to read the full one.

The gist : Despite it's lack of restrictions on normal life Sweden did no better economically than countries that enacted a full lock down. They had 40% more deaths per capita than the US with no economic gains to show. They're now expected to make a slower recovery than other Nordic states that locked down and that had up to 12 times less deaths than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭amandstu

What is the story for public toilets in Galway City?

Are the ones in Eyre Square in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

amandstu wrote: »
    What is the story for public toilets in Galway City?

Are the ones in Eyre Square in use?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Yes.

I suppose they take 20 cent coins?

I also imagine not everyone is using masks in them?

amandstu wrote: »
    I suppose they take 20 cent coins?

I also imagine not everyone is using masks in them?

Eh, don't mean to be gross or anything, but infacta, pee and poop carry Covid-19. Masks will only protect you so far, in that environment.

"Wash your hands" :P

Eh, don't mean to be gross or anything, but infacta, pee and poop carry Covid-19. Masks will only protect you so far, in that environment.

"Wash your hands" :P
    I think it is advised to put the toilet seat cover down when flushing.I wonder do those toilets have toilet covers?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd rather pay for a coffee somewhere and use their clean bathroom. Are those public toilets cleaned every day? Doubtful.

Do people actually use public toilets? I assumed they were just for winos and junkies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I'd rather pay for a coffee somewhere and use their clean bathroom. Are those public toilets cleaned every day? Doubtful.

No toilet is ever truly clean

Do people actually use public toilets? I assumed they were just for winos and junkies.

I do
    Where I came from we even used to have public baths.

Poorly maintained public amenities are a reflection on the wider public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It used to be absolutely critical to know where all the public loos were when I was in town with young kids who didn't always give much notice.

TKMaxx was always very useful as you could take the lift up, turn left around the corner, and the loos are generally much cleaner than the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If I was badly stuck I’d pick one of the hotels. The Meyrick has nice facilities ;)

Not a chance I’d use those yokes in the square unless I was literally touching cloth.

It used to be absolutely critical to know where all the public loos were when I was in town with young kids who didn't always give much notice.

TKMaxx was always very useful as you could take the lift up, turn left around the corner, and the loos are generally much cleaner than the shopping centre.

By public toilets I meant ones outside run by the council not inside businesses.

I just pop into one of the hotels or Debenhams etc if I need the toilet in town, even supermacs is better than council ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As a Man it's quite easy to spend a penny "contactless"

Winos and junkies (sic) aren't people?

Winos and junkies (sic) aren't people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Don't think there was any ridicule, just facts.

The facts are the r rate of the virus is now at 1.People with your outlook and mentality, are going to get people killed.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The facts are the r rate of the virus is now at 1.People with your outlook and mentality, are going to get people killed.

Aim your misplaced hysteria elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Aim your misplaced hysteria elsewhere.

It’s far from misplaced, things are not looking good imo. We are letting in people from abroad when our border should be firmly closed, people are ignoring the law of masks on public transport, very few wearing masks shopping etc, social distancing is forgotten about by most. People are meeting for too much, people are back in offices for no reason when they could be working from home etc etc.

We are on very real danger of undoing all our good work for the last few months and the dismissive attitude like above is contributing to the reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It’s far from misplaced, things are not looking good imo. We are letting in people from abroad when our border should be firmly closed, people are ignoring the law of masks on public transport, very few wearing masks shopping etc, social distancing is forgotten about by most. People are meeting for too much, people are back in offices for no reason when they could be working from home etc etc.

We are on very real danger of undoing all our good work for the last few months and the dismissive attitude like above is contributing to the reasons why.

Nox you don't use public transport, so you've no idea. I used a city bus yesterday and every one of the 20 odd people on board were wearing masks. Masks are also being used much more every day in shops, I'm in the city centre 5 days a week and can see the difference.

There are going to be small spikes here and there, people need to just get on with it and live with it for now, if you're vulnerable then stay home during those spikes. The country is now moving and needs to keep going that way, no more lockdowns unless localised to a town or city and due to a large increase.

And for the record there were no confirmed cases in Galway yesterday, again.

Like a very broken record. How do you know people aren’t wearing masks on public transport? When were you last on a bus? Are you still getting your shopping delivered? So you’ve no idea what you’re talking about. You were ranting hysterically 6-7 weeks ago about the BLM protests. We were all going to die. There’s been 2 (?) confirmed cases in Galway in the interim. A bit of perspective please, for the love of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

'Hysterical' 'Ranting' .... just because you don't agree with the sentiment. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nox you don't use public transport, so you've no idea. I used a city bus yesterday and every one of the 20 odd people on board were wearing masks. .

No idea which busses you're on, was on a couple of them myself this week and there was next to no wearing of face masks, drivers not wearing or enforcing and some busses I was the only passenger wearing one. Granted there was no more than 20ish people on any bus.

Go watch any city bus route, the amount of people not wearing facemasks is mad, especially as it's supposed to be compulsory.

Sconsey wrote: »
    'Hysterical' 'Ranting' .... just because you don't agree with the sentiment. :rolleyes:

No, I don’t agree with “shooting people with water canons” or “lashing out fines” or “locking everyone up” - i.e. hysterical nonsense.

This forum.... honestly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

JoeA3 wrote: »
    No, I don’t agree with “shooting people with water canons” or “lashing out fines” or “locking everyone up” - i.e. hysterical nonsense.

Calm down, you're raving again.

Nox you don't use public transport, so you've no idea. I used a city bus yesterday and every one of the 20 odd people on board were wearing masks. Masks are also being used much more every day in shops, I'm in the city centre 5 days a week and can see the difference.

There are going to be small spikes here and there, people need to just get on with it and live with it for now, if you're vulnerable then stay home during those spikes. The country is now moving and needs to keep going that way, no more lockdowns unless localised to a town or city and due to a large increase.

And for the record there were no confirmed cases in Galway yesterday, again.

I don’t have to use public transport to observe it or read twitter etc where there is plenty of evidence to show compliance is very low.

Mask wearing in shops is very very small also, it was more common a few weeks ago. I have never been in a shops that had more than 5 to 10% of people in there wearing masks.

It’s quite clear the government are very concerned but it’s people dismissing it that will case things to rise again. Why the government won’t close off our ports and airports to all but essential travel (with monitored isolation for 14 days for those who do come in) is beyond me. From my reading, talking to people etc it would be widely supported and F those who don’t like it.
    Like a very broken record. How do you know people aren’t wearing masks on public transport? When were you last on a bus? Are you still getting your shopping delivered? So you’ve no idea what you’re talking about. You were ranting hysterically 6-7 weeks ago about the BLM protests. We were all going to die. There’s been 2 (?) confirmed cases in Galway in the interim. A bit of perspective please, for the love of god.

I can see them passing on busses with no masks. As for shopping doing click and collect for the main shop so I can see people around and also pop into aldi etc one or twice a week and mask wearing is exceptionally low, people having children in shops etc. It’s a disgrace and dismissing it is idiotic. It would take very little for the virus to take hold again and I’m hearing if plenty of clusters around the country related to parties and travel that could very very quickly balloon l.

You come in here and talk like I’m the only one with an opinion, then you realise my thinking is actually the majority thinking - washing shopping was a good example you laughed at the suggestion like no one did it and then you were one of the few posters who didn’t....

The concerns I have raised etc are the concerns pretty much everyone I interact with in real life have - there is very real concern about a spike among my family, friends and work colleagues (before you say I’m just associating with people with similar opinions).

The more we suppress the virus the sooner we can actually get back to normal, behaving like you are happy to will threaten us getting back to normal and I’ve no idea why you think it’s so “cool” to have this lax attitude. What is wrong with being cautious, can you really not just sit still and expect others to do the same.

The more we suppress the virus the sooner we can actually get back to normal, behaving like you are happy to will threaten us getting back to normal and I’ve no idea why you think it’s so “cool” to have this lax attitude. What is wrong with being cautious, can you really not just sit still and expect others to do the same.

I don't feel that I have a lax attitude at all, I am taking the same precautions as any other reasonable person takes, while trying to get on with a busy home and work life. I quite clearly mix in very different circles to you (thankfully). I don't see the scaremongering you perpetrate on here in the real world.

Also... your personal hygiene is the stuff of legend on these boards, the irony of you lecturing others on the subject is mind blowing!

• Advertisement

I don't feel that I have a lax attitude at all, I am taking the same precautions as any other reasonable person takes, while trying to get on with a busy home and work life. I quite clearly mix in very different circles to you (thankfully). I don't see the scaremongering you perpetrate on here in the real world.

I'm not scaremongering I'm pretty much saying what the government and other experts are advising. Plenty if experts think we should not be as open as we are and that restaurants and pubs should still be shut and I'd be in agreement.

The one thing that we are really being let down on is allowing people into the country and I think you will find massive support for stopping at the very least all US flights from landing in Ireland and from other heavily impacted countries incl the UK though that is tricky with the border.

As for a busy work and home life, I have an exceptionally busy work life which I'm getting on with excellently from home all though the lockdown - busier than ever if I'm honest and a "busy" family life isn't essential that can be put on hold for the time being while we are facing a pandemic.

Advertisement