Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Imagine how busy it would be if all the extra people who can't go due to worrying about lack of parking were able to go.

Nox, you were in the traffic thread yesterday talking up the idea of having more parking spaces in Salthill so that it'd be even busier during this pandemic. A bit of consistency wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No idea which busses you're on, was on a couple of them myself this week and there was next to no wearing of face masks, drivers not wearing or enforcing and some busses I was the only passenger wearing one. Granted there was no more than 20ish people on any bus.

Go watch any city bus route, the amount of people not wearing facemasks is mad, especially as it's supposed to be compulsory.

Been on the 405 twice this week. One passenger out of approximately 35 wasn't wearing a mask. No drivers wearing them on either that I was on, if Bus eireann want passenger uptake to increase further they should lead by example.

I don’t have to use public transport to observe it or read twitter etc where there is plenty of evidence to show compliance is very low.

Mask wearing in shops is very very small also, it was more common a few weeks ago. I have never been in a shops that had more than 5 to 10% of people in there wearing masks.

It’s quite clear the government are very concerned but it’s people dismissing it that will case things to rise again. Why the government won’t close off our ports and airports to all but essential travel (with monitored isolation for 14 days for those who do come in) is beyond me. From my reading, talking to people etc it would be widely supported and F those who don’t like it.

I can see them passing on busses with no masks. As for shopping doing click and collect for the main shop so I can see people around and also pop into aldi etc one or twice a week and mask wearing is exceptionally low, people having children in shops etc. It’s a disgrace and dismissing it is idiotic. It would take very little for the virus to take hold again and I’m hearing if plenty of clusters around the country related to parties and travel that could very very quickly balloon l.

You come in here and talk like I’m the only one with an opinion, then you realise my thinking is actually the majority thinking - washing shopping was a good example you laughed at the suggestion like no one did it and then you were one of the few posters who didn’t....

The concerns I have raised etc are the concerns pretty much everyone I interact with in real life have - there is very real concern about a spike among my family, friends and work colleagues (before you say I’m just associating with people with similar opinions).

The more we suppress the virus the sooner we can actually get back to normal, behaving like you are happy to will threaten us getting back to normal and I’ve no idea why you think it’s so “cool” to have this lax attitude. What is wrong with being cautious, can you really not just sit still and expect others to do the same.

Nox you personally never have to experience anything to know better than everyone else on every topic. You do you. I'll base my opinions on evidence and my experience, not Nox stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The one thing that we are really being let down on is allowing people into the country and I think you will find massive support for stopping at the very least all US flights from landing in Ireland and from other heavily impacted countries incl the UK though that is tricky with the border.

In fairness I do agree with you here but as you say yourself, it's a massive problem to solve. We share a border and we're an island that depends on tourism and inward investment from the countries you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Been on the 405 twice this week. One passenger out of approximately 35 wasn't wearing a mask. No drivers wearing them on either that I was on, if Bus eireann want passenger uptake to increase further they should lead by example.

Strange. I did see a 404 pass that was fairly full with lots of compliance, but the 409 I took on Wednesday afternoon had 15-20 people onboard, I was the only one with a mask.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Strange. I did see a 404 pass that was fairly full with lots of compliance, but the 409 I took on Wednesday afternoon had 15-20 people onboard, I was the only one with a mask.

May depend on the age profile, be a bit older on the 405 than 409 I'd say and mask wearing is more prevalent in the older category from what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, the city-bus drivers are behind screens, they have less needs for masks than supermarket staff.

My observation (and personal approach) is that on busy buses with distancing not possible with people mask. On quieter ones, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm just off a bus now. Driver was wearing one, and the new driver oncoming was wearing one. There were 7 people wearing them, 4 without. And I doubt 3 of those 4 people pay much attention to rules & regulations anyways.

There was a big crowd about to get on the bus and about 70% had masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Aim your misplaced hysteria elsewhere.

Sure if you want to be flippant, i couldn't care less.It's no fly on my back.Sure if you do get the virus, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Sure if you want to be flippant, i couldn't care less.It's no fly on my back.Sure if you do get the virus, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.;)

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Been on 3 trains in the last week - 2 bigger routes and one more inner city. More passengers than 'safe' seats, and people sitting on yellow signs (some asking people if they could) 2 of us and we hung on to our 4 seats. Felt a bit of an a-hole sometimes (and did offer an older couple the seats once, but they were only going a stop). Overall about 40-50% wearing masks.

Was in hospital with a relative last week. About 50% (including staff) wearing a mask.

I'm all about live and let live and being outdoors in lots of space is the best thing but people are NOT being aware of others in shops.

I think we are all relatively low risk (for now) but I predict a spike in October once the Americans and UK residents leave. TONS of tourists in the West, not the usual amount but still tons. They stand out more as there aren't as many of the usual Europeans.

I can’t understand why masks are not mandatory for all shop workers, it’s a bizarre oversight imo.

At least from Monday the public transport mask wearing is legally enforceable and drivers will be instructed to refuse entry to anyone not wearing one. I would love to see a few clowns left standing in the rain for refusing to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's little things where you can be caught out.

I noticed someone out with a sponsorship form going to door to door offering a biro to sign up. Serveral people looked to have signed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's little things where you can be caught out.

I noticed someone out with a sponsorship form going to door to door offering a biro to sign up. Serveral people looked to have signed with it.

If they wash their hands after or sanitise, I don't see it being any different to a keypad in the shops or a trolley?

People may be more complacent *at* their house though.

I can’t understand why masks are not mandatory for all shop workers, it’s a bizarre oversight imo.

At least from Monday the public transport mask wearing is legally enforceable and drivers will be instructed to refuse entry to anyone not wearing one. I would love to see a few clowns left standing in the rain for refusing to wear a mask.

And what happens to those who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons? Or kids under 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Drivers will not police it say the unions,so who knows what will happen. The real aim IMO is to bring it up as close to 100% as possible. It makes sense with people in much closer proximity and it now being a condition of using the service. I don't think you could really apply it to shops. There are far too many of them and people would go elsewhere if a shop insisted on a mask.

And what happens to those who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons? Or kids under 13?

How many can’t wear masks, feck all I’d say.

Total cop out. I’d question that under 13 rule too but it’s not that hard to tell a child’s age they are likely to always be accompanied etc (should they even be using busses at the moment is another question unless it’s vital).

The law states makes must be worn and fines or even prison is available as punishment. I’d pay to see some fool go to prison for their ignorance if refusing to wear a mask.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Drivers will not police it say the unions,so who knows what will happen. The real aim IMO is to bring it up as close to 100% as possible. It makes sense with people in much closer proximity and it now being a condition of using the service. I don't think you could really apply it to shops. There are far too many of them and people would go elsewhere if a shop insisted on a mask.

No idea why the drivers don’t enforce it, I’d personally take great pleasure in refusing entry to people who are too think to respect this important rule in the time of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

How many can’t wear masks, feck all I’d say.

Total cop out. I’d question that under 13 rule too but it’s not that hard to tell a child’s age they are likely to always be accompanied etc (should they even be using busses at the moment is another question unless it’s vital).

The law states makes must be worn and fines or even prison is available as punishment. I’d pay to see some fool go to prison for their ignorance if refusing to wear a mask.

No idea why the drivers don’t enforce it, I’d personally take great pleasure in refusing entry to people who are too think to respect this important rule in the time of a pandemic.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0710/1152630-french-bus-driver-dead/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

That’s France, place is half cracked at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Four new cases reported for Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not a doom and gloom sort of person but that is very concerning. Hopefully they are isolating correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I'd guess that it's all a cluster. Possibly related to that big house party in Killarney last weekend[or a family returning from holiday]?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There'll be plenty more in the next few weeks if town tonight is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You'd be very aphrehensive when you read that and then you see shyte like this

https://twitter.com/avelineo/status/1282057355446964225

I hope things will turn out okay, but there seems to be a distinct feeling of inevitably about things at the moment and it isn't like people have not been warned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Winos and junkies (sic) aren't people?

More human than Anonymous posters on obscure Internet forums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Seeing quite a few northern plates around today including a good few campervans. Salthill campground filled up this week as you'd expect.

Calm before the (hopefully very small) storm...

Seeing quite a few northern plates around today including a good few campervans. Salthill campground filled up this week as you'd expect.

Calm before the (hopefully very small) storm...

Look at the date. The NI influx happens every year from about the 10th - 14th. Can't say I blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yes, makes sense. Hadn't realised the pricks went ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yeah shocking stuff. 2 covid tests!!! For someone who claims to be practicing safely this is a huge number. Is he at high risk or what's going on!!!

Advertisement