Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Not as crowded as a usual summer in Galway.

But imo still way too many people.

My buddy lives in Galway city and she's been staying very much at home. I can't say I blame her whatsoever. Nobody is going out of their way to socially distance either. Although there's one young woman with a mask, fair fucks.

519756.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Just for comparison this is Piazza Navona in Italy right now.

519757.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

s1ippy wrote: »
    Not as crowded as a usual summer in Galway.

But imo still way too many people.

My buddy lives in Galway city and she's been staying very much at home. I can't say I blame her whatsoever. Nobody is going out of their way to socially distance either. Although there's one young woman with a mask, fair fucks.

519756.jpg

Good for her. Most of the rest of us are trying to get back to some sense of normal life. You know like going to work, supporting businesses reopening while also remaining vigilant re the virus. Staying at home forever isn't a solution for society as a whole.

There's also plenty of social distancing in that photo and more than one person wearing a mask.

Masks to be made mandatory for everyone in shops in the UK now with on the spot fines at a minimum for failing to comply.

Anyone saying we couldn't make masks in shops mandatory here should take note. From what I can see mask wearing is reducing so its time to force the matter and give people and staff no option but to wear masks.

Masks to be made mandatory for everyone in shops in the UK now with on the spot fines at a minimum for failing to comply.

Anyone saying we couldn't make masks in shops mandatory here should take note. From what I can see mask wearing is reducing so its time to force the matter and give people and staff no option but to wear masks.

Mask wearing around your country home is reducing is it? You haven't been in town in months, or so you said a day or two ago. So again Nox your lack of experience on the issue goes against the actual real evidence and experience of people who can see that masks are increasing in use every week.

• Advertisement

Mask wearing around your country home is reducing is it? You haven't been in town in months, or so you said a day or two ago. So again Nox your lack of experience on the issue goes against the actual real evidence and experience of people who can see that masks are increasing in use every week.

I haven’t been in the city centre in months I’ve been in the large food shops around the outskirts etc or county towns with busy shops. Mask wearing is on the decline and was never high in the first place, never more than 10%.

I’ve never seen a shop worker wear one either which is absolute madness they should be mandatory for all.

I haven’t been in the city centre in months I’ve been in the large food shops around the outskirts etc or county towns with busy shops. Mask wearing is on the decline and was never high in the first place, never more than 10%.

I’ve never seen a shop worker wear one either which is absolute madness they should be mandatory for all.

Talking through your hoop as always. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on how you got on wearing one in the pub when they reopen.

Talking through your hoop as always.

How am I talking though my hoop, you clearly see the same as I do but doesn't suit your agenda so will just pretend to see otherwise.

All pubs, restaurant and pretty much any other place you go except shops have mandatory mask wearing for staff so why not shops? It's stupid and you would swear black was white just to go against what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Remind me how many deaths and new cases there were yesterday?

Remind me about masking in Denmark and New Zealand.

How am I talking though my hoop, you clearly see the same as I do but doesn't suit your agenda so will just pretend to see otherwise.

All pubs, restaurant and pretty much any other place you go except shops have mandatory mask wearing for staff so why not shops? It's stupid and you would swear black was white just to go against what I'm saying.

Have you been in any nox? I have and no staff in either the restaurants/pubs/cafes were wearing masks. You'll now tell me that it's 100% mask wearing amongst all LVI members. If you stopped making things up I wouldn't have to call you out on it. Just stop throwing around nonsense and you won't have to worry about black being white.

• Advertisement

Have you been in any nox? I have and no staff in either the restaurants/pubs/cafes were wearing masks. You'll now tell me that it's 100% mask wearing amongst all LVI members. If you stopped making things up I wouldn't have to call you out on it. Just stop throwing around nonsense and you won't have to worry about black being white.

I haven't eaten in but I've got takeaway from restaurants (that were operating for sit in also) and looked in the window of a few other pubs/restaurants and any staff member I saw was wearing either a mask or a face shield or both.

You also cannot enter a barbers or hairdresser without a mask either staff or customer.

I haven't eaten in but I've got takeaway from restaurants (that were operating for sit in also) and looked in the window of a few other pubs/restaurants and anyone I saw was wearing either a mask or a face shield or both.

Of course they were.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I was in both Paddy Burkes in Clarinbridge and Keanes in Oranmore over the weekend and every staff member in both pubs were wearing masks/face shields. Obviously none of the customers were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That was my experience too. I have been to a Gastro Pub for Sunday dinner, apart from one girl ( who wore it incorrectly) no staff members were wearing masks. Second experience was a small restaurant for lunch, again no masks.

That was my experience too. I have been to a Gastro Pub for Sunday dinner, apart from one girl ( who wore it incorrectly) no staff members were wearing masks. Second experience was a small restaurant for lunch, again no masks.

Well Nox studies have shown Licensed Vintners to be enforcing mask wearing 100% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have been in 2 restaurants/bars and all staff in both were wearing masks the whole time. Are supermarket staff required to wear a mask if they are behind a perspex screen?

The increase in mask wearing on public transport in the last week is definitely getting very high, and some drivers are now telling people they must have masks before entering the bus.

In general public, it's hard to gauge whether there is an increase or not in mask wearing as there is a large increase in numbers of people out and about.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I have been in 2 restaurants/bars and all staff in both were wearing masks the whole time. Are supermarket staff required to wear a mask if they are behind a perspex screen?

The increase in mask wearing on public transport in the last week is definitely getting very high, and some drivers are now telling people they must have masks before entering the bus.

In general public, it's hard to gauge whether there is an increase or not in mask wearing as there is a large increase in numbers of people out and about.

No mask wearing is required of staff in any shops. Social distancing, regular hand washing and cleaning of all staff/customer contact areas are in place and screens are in place to separate from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

No mask wearing is required of staff in any shops. Social distancing, regular hand washing and cleaning of all staff/customer contact areas are in place and screens are in place to separate from the public.

So are you in favour of shoppers wearing mask inside shops? I think it should be mandatory as there is ample evidence out there to show it curbs the spread of the virus. I can't get my head around the resistance people have to them.

Sconsey wrote: »
    So are you in favour of shoppers wearing mask inside shops? I think it should be mandatory as there is ample evidence out there to show it curbs the spread of the virus. I can't get my head around the resistance people have to them.

Read the WHO documents.

Masks are not a replacement for social distancing. They are a second-best option for when its not possible, eg hairdressers.

There are also substantial issues in that they encourage people to reduce social distancing (I've done it myself, shure we're both in masks, what's the problem).

There are also public health issues around prople handling and disposal of snotty rags

Read the WHO documents.

Masks are not a replacement for social distancing. They are a second-best option for when its not possible, eg hairdressers.

There are also substantial issues in that they encourage people to reduce social distancing (I've done it myself, shure we're both in masks, what's the problem).

There are also public health issues around prople handling and disposal of snotty rags

Who said they were a replacement for social distancing?

They are another tool in the fight against the spread of the virus, and a very simple tool to use compared to lockdowns, etc.

There are public health issues around handling and disposal of snotty rags> If someone is too stupid to handle snot rags properly they are too stupid to social distance or probably even cover their mouths when coughing.

Nothing you have said makes me think masks should not be mandatory in indoor public spaces. There is ample scientific research to suggest mask will contribute to a reduction in the spread of the virus.

• Advertisement

Very much in favour of the wearing of masks, and I see it in increasing numbers every day. I'm wearing one right now on a city bus. I was answering a posters question regarding if shop staff are required to wear them, they aren't required. Previous to that I was pointing out to Nox, who hasn't been in the city in months, that they are very prevalent on a daily basis and in increasing numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I saw a post on fb about masks that is blunt and straight to the point.

"If you hate wearing a mask, you're really not going to like the ventilator".

Nothing you have said makes me think masks should not be mandatory in indoor public spaces. There is ample scientific research to suggest mask will contribute to a reduction in the spread of the virus.

Don't look at what I've said.

Read the WHO technical paper.

But do remember that public health advice needs to be applied by everyone, including stupid people.

And that measures need to be proportionate the risk involved. Which is where current number of cases in the country comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I saw a post on fb about masks that is blunt and straight to the point.

"If you hate wearing a mask, you're really not going to like the ventilator".

Even Pádraic is following the guidelines, fair play to him.

b1a9bb5793.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Don't look at what I've said.

Read the WHO technical paper.

But do remember that public health advice needs to be applied by everyone, including stupid people.

And that measures need to be proportionate the risk involved. Which is where current number of cases in the country comes into play.

I read the WHO paper just now...key paragraph for me:

Based on these criteria, Table 2 provides practical examples
    of situations where the general public should be encouraged
    to wear a mask and it indicates specific target populations and
    the type of mask to be used according to its purpose. The
    decision of governments and local jurisdictions whether to
    recommend or make mandatory the use of masks should be
    based on the above criteria, and on the local context, culture,
    availability of masks, resources required, and preferences of
    the population.

They go on to say they are really only pushing for them in a no-social-distancing scenario but nowhere do they say we should not be using masks. They are not saying we should not be wearing masks in public. (Sidenote: I can't believe that cultural factors should be a criteria in deciding if masks should be worn, I thought stopping Covid would be more black and white).

I think we can train people to use masks properly, in fairness I was never washing my hands correctly before the virus kicked-in but I am now. A simple education campaign could show the do's and don't of masks (the WHO site has this).

In terms of proportional response, I think it is hugely risky of us to assume we are fine because known reported cases are low today. That can change very quickly if we are not careful. There are enough examples of countries getting caught out (Israel and Croatia being the two most obvious).

I dunno, I still think the pro's significantly outweigh the con's for mask wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think by the time school is back (to what extent we'll see) it's possible masks will be like underwear. You'll own a week's worth, use one daily, and throw it into the laundry when you get home.

Between public transport, classrooms/workplaces, and other spaces where social distancing isn't possible or contact time is long I can imagine using them daily in the "new normal". I'd love to see some study done on the best materials and practices for use too. That can be plowed back into a knowledge base manufacturers can use so when we pay extra for our Adidas or Under Armour masks we know it's following best practice.

If it makes a difference I'd be happy to don a mask going into the many shops I used to frequent in town. I would be less thrilled with a blanket mandate which stated I had to wear a mask even outdoors going for a walk. But if studies show it matters then I'd do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

During his speech in the British Parliment this morning announcing mandatory mask wearing in shops Matt Hancock released one really shocking statistic. He said retail workers in the UK,checkout Staff and security, are very disproportionately more represented in Covid death figures than the general population. He said men had a 75% increased risk of death and females 66% increased risk.

I was pretty astonished by it.

We have done extremely well in retail here but we took extreme caution during the lockdown period and our figures were low. Coupling this with the fact that 33 bus workers died it London it really reveals how risky life becomes for a lot of the population if the virus begins to proliferate and people are not very serious about implementing every possible safety precaution like masks etc.

Source : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/14/english-mask-plan-will-help-tackle-high-covid-death-rate-for-shop-staff-matt-hancock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think by the time school is back (to what extent we'll see) it's possible masks will be like underwear. You'll own a week's worth, use one daily, and throw it into the laundry when you get home.

Between public transport, classrooms/workplaces, and other spaces where social distancing isn't possible or contact time is long I can imagine using them daily in the "new normal". I'd love to see some study done on the best materials and practices for use too. That can be plowed back into a knowledge base manufacturers can use so when we pay extra for our Adidas or Under Armour masks we know it's following best practice.

If it makes a difference I'd be happy to don a mask going into the many shops I used to frequent in town. I would be less thrilled with a blanket mandate which stated I had to wear a mask even outdoors going for a walk. But if studies show it matters then I'd do that too.

Agreed . Once the flu season starts and we start seeing people coughing and sniffling near each other you'll notice most people will start wearing a mask to try and protect themselves.

On RTE news this afternoon they're saying that there are currently 13 in hospital with confirmed Covid, 10 of whom are in intensive care. However they reported that there are an additional 158 in hospital with suspected Covid. Of nurses and Drs I've spoken to who have treated it, it's quite clinically distinct.

Nphet are saying that people contacted as part of the close contact tracing are not turning up for testing. Irish Times reports GPs are finding symptomatic patients are refusing to get a Covid test, one GP said he sees at least one such patient a day, sometimes 3. Nphet are also saying that recently ill Covid patients are tending to wait on average until day 5 of the illness before seeing a Dr and beginning quarantine too.

If suspected hospital cases are that high there have to be more cases in the country than are reflected in official numbers. Makes you wonder what actual figures are like.

• Advertisement

Interesting article in NYT about mask wearing and a recent study done by the CDC on a hair salon, 2 stylists sick with Covid and the customers did haircuts and bear trims for. The saw clients for 15-45 minutes.
    Vigilant mask wearing might have spared nearly 140 people from catching the coronavirus at a hair salon in Missouri, according to a report published on Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In May, the people interacted with two hair stylists with confirmed coronavirus infections, but none ended up showing symptoms of Covid-19.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/health/coronavirus-hair-salon-masks.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes&fbclid=IwAR3IHM7eVx6FMZP90wtsJqTUGCYXWH_Xm7roskCOabi7NtskgUnwGfarJO4

Advertisement