Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Our old friend JP is going to start taking credit card information for all bookings from this weekend forward due to late cancellations and not being able to absorb them given the already reduced capacity.

Hmm this seems like something one could fight through the CC companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree with JP, it is just business sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on. You agree to the charge when you give your card number to the restaurant. The CC companies won't back you up just because you decided to renege on your end of the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Nope, it will become the norm soon enough, especially for smaller restaurants that need to protect themselves from selfish ***** who don't have the manners to turn up or cancel on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I think it's standard practice in most Dublin restaurants. The PA's (personal assistant) were found to be booking tables in multiple restaurants to give the big boss as much choice for his dinner or lunch. They never bothered to cancel the other booking or it was just too late. The restaurants got pissed and started taking deposits and CC details.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I agree with JP, it is just business sense.

I generally would have the exact opposite opinion to most things JP says but I also agree with him on this.

In fact I never understood why its not common practice in all restaurants to put a hold on a card and charge a no show fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Jesus I asked about advice for where to find something and immediately got advice as to why I should not use x or y. Not. Even. Relevant (and even if it were, there is ALWAYS a study or anecdotal something that will say the opposite).

A friend pointed out that people are Covid obsessed. Understandable but it is now getting old. The amount of experts (we are some right here ;) ) is unbelievable.

People may sneeze because they have allergies, people may be sick because they have something else, people may want a f*cking visor for something other than what you think.

Be safe but don't be paranoid! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

inisboffin wrote: »
    Jesus I asked about advice for where to find something and immediately got advice as to why I should not use x or y. Not. Even. Relevant (and even if it were, there is ALWAYS a study or anecdotal something that will say the opposite).

A friend pointed out that people are Covid obsessed. Understandable but it is now getting old. The amount of experts (we are some right here ;) ) is unbelievable.

People may sneeze because they have allergies, people may be sick because they have something else, people may want a f*cking visor for something other than what you think.

Be safe but don't be paranoid! :p

Youll get them in Caulfields

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I doubt any “pint hounds” would be going to cava to continue their session.

And yet every year during the Races the pint hounds book in and don't show up. It's not a new problem for his restaurant. People start drinking early in the day and blow off their dinner reservation.

I agree with your other point though, he's 100% in the right to charge the card. In fact, as someone raised to him. There's regulations about holding card information for longer than a couple of days. He should just charge at the time of booking and refund if they cancel 24+ hours ahead of time.

https://m.facebook.com/rootsclaregalway/
    Roots Cafe & Bistro have opened a second location in Born, Newtownsmith, overlooking the river Corrib.

Their first location in Claregalway is a top class Italian and I highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

https://m.facebook.com/rootsclaregalway/
    Roots Cafe & Bistro have opened a second location in Born, Newtownsmith, overlooking the river Corrib.

Their first location in Claregalway is a top class Italian and I highly recommend it.

Is that the Born location where Pappa Rich used to be ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Stone wrote: »
    Is that the Born location where Pappa Rich used to be ??

downstairs section, they seem to have done the patio outside area too.

Papa rich still closed upstairs, dunno if its going to re open.

Pity if that papa rich closes was a nice place to eat overlooking the river.

Laviski wrote: »

No free parking for you at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Pity if that papa rich closes was a nice place to eat overlooking the river.

Oh I hope it won't close, it's surely big enough to accommodate reasonable distancing too.

is that some sort of lame attempt of a dig?
    in case you are not aware or just blind there is more or less parking at the door through the on street park and the two car parks beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Laviski wrote: »

Ah, well the downstairs cafe is more akin to how it used to be. We always meant to sit on the patio but never made it before they closed. With the right day it would be a hard spot to beat.

PapaRich in Born is doing takeaway on JustEat. We just had them last night and it was super good. There are small variations between locations so I tried a noodle dish I hadn't seen before. Also they've reopened in Salthill which used to be dine in only. However this time they are doing takeaway too which is actually closer to me but I wanted to try that dish only in Born. Anyhow, I hope that means all locations are alive and well.

Ah, well the downstairs cafe is more akin to how it used to be. We always meant to sit on the patio but never made it before they closed. With the right day it would be a hard spot to beat.

PapaRich in Born is doing takeaway on JustEat. We just had them last night and it was super good. There are small variations between locations so I tried a noodle dish I hadn't seen before. Also they've reopened in Salthill which used to be dine in only. However this time they are doing takeaway too which is actually closer to me but I wanted to try that dish only in Born. Anyhow, I hope that means all locations are alive and well.

I thought all the takeway stuff was done on the headford road.

There actually is, right across the road once after 6pm when most are eating there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I thought all the takeway stuff was done on the headford road.

No, you can get takeaway from any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No, you can get takeaway from any of them.

You can collect from any of them yourself (except Briarhill - not open yet AFAIK).

But deliveries are likely done from Headford Rd: I don't recall seeing swarms of Deliveroo etc guys outside Woodquay or Born.

You can collect from any of them yourself (except Briarhill - not open yet AFAIK).

But deliveries are likely done from Headford Rd: I don't recall seeing swarms of Deliveroo etc guys outside Woodquay or Born.

Dont think they're on Deliveroo and their deliveries are done by driver, from my experience. They have different menus available from each of their branches on JustEat, I doubt each branch then rings the Headford Rd to put through an order for their branch, especially as the Headford Rd also has their own menu which is different from say Salthill or Newtownsmith. Different branches also have different delivery details on their JustEat page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Dont think they're on Deliveroo and their deliveries are done by driver, from my experience. They have different menus available from each of their branches on JustEat, I doubt each branch then rings the Headford Rd to put through an order for their branch, especially as the Headford Rd also has their own menu which is different from say Salthill or Newtownsmith. Different branches also have different delivery details on their JustEat page.

Yeah it's always been a 'private' driver when I've ordered from Woodquay.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yeah it's always been a 'private' driver when I've ordered from Woodquay.

Same with Headford Rd and Briarhill.

Inc cinema in the galway retail park reopened from today for anyone interested, they said it's a soft re-launch.

At present just doing re runs like omniplex in salthill. I think there is one or two new movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sheridan's closed over traced cases

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sheridan's closed over traced cases

Have you a link? Which Sheridans, pub or monger of cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Have you a link? Which Sheridans, pub or monger of cheese?

Sheridan's of Milltown. First post on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/SheridansBarAndRestaurant/?ref=br_rs

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Sheridan's of Milltown. First post on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/SheridansBarAndRestaurant/?ref=br_rs

Was thinking it wasn't either of the two I've heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Galway was mentioned along with 4 other areas on the news as an area of concern for community transmission. Seems odd as we have had no new cases at all in recent times.

Advertisement