Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Is it in the city?

FWIW, Flannery's has posted to FB saying that they are open and there has been no outbreak, contrary to rumour.

https://www.facebook.com/flanneryshotel/photos/a.237983744005/10157915788464006/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We should be told who has it not trying to hide who has it. This would be far better everyone’s safety.

Does that apply to other diseases too? Eg should there be a noticeboard in the village announcing names of of people who have
    AIDS, TB, Covid-19, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

_Krieg_ wrote: »
    I dont know the rules on posting names of businesses, so ill leave it nameless for the moment.

A long running hotel in Galway has been shutdown due to staff testing positive for Covid. My source is someone who works at the hotel. I'm hoping it will be in the local news shortly.

Confirmed by GBFM this morning that the above was absolute rubbish.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Does that apply to other diseases too? Eg should there be a noticeboard in the village announcing names of of people who have
    AIDS, TB, Covid-19, etc?

What are you on about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Did you know you can block posters whereas you don't see their posts so you wont feel the need to make a smart arse comment on every single statement they make.

• Advertisement

xtradel wrote: »
    Did you know you can block posters whereas you don't see their posts so you wont feel the need to make a smart arse comment on every single statement they make.

I didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I didn’t

You should try it, for everyone's benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I ate in a place outside of Galway over the weekend and I was very happy with what I saw. The staff wore masks and visors or them face shields, whatever they were called. I saw a member of staff behind the bar spraying the menu cases and wiping them down. I was very happy with.

I stopped in another place on the outskirts of Galway and I was not happy with what I saw. The staff didn't wear any masks or visors. The menus were just a sheet of paper. I don't know what they do with the menus after each customer. I don't know if the menus are handed to other customers. The waiter who took our order got too close into my personal space ignoring social distancing, like he stuck his face into my menu which I was holding in front of me like a book. That close to me. I wasn't happy with any of that to be honest.

You should try it, for everyone's benefit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

owlbethere wrote: »
    I ate in a place outside of Galway over the weekend and I was very happy with what I saw. The staff wore masks and visors or them face shields, whatever they were called. I saw a member of staff behind the bar spraying the menu cases and wiping them down. I was very happy with.

I stopped in another place on the outskirts of Galway and I was not happy with what I saw. The staff didn't wear any masks or visors. The menus were just a sheet of paper. I don't know what they do with the menus after each customer. I don't know if the menus are handed to other customers. The waiter who took our order got too close into my personal space ignoring social distancing, like he stuck his face into my menu which I was holding in front of me like a book. That close to me. I wasn't happy with any of that to be honest.

And did you complain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Tig Choili reopened, serving Pizza Napoli pizza.

Tig Choili reopened, serving Pizza Napoli pizza.

They Sold out, used to pride themselves on having no food, just booze, beer and craic,

MrWhereisgalway5.3 brothers cousin claims to be a medical expect aswell but he’s in jail.

This is an article about wales, read most of it, doesn’t mention anything about the medical stats of Galway

“When individual figures are less than 5, eg 3 in county Galway, medical statisticans are wary about releasing them”. Mrs Bumble

What did your cousin do if you don’t mind me asking?

I don’t mind at call, he’s a bit like Andy Dufresne And maintains his innocence

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Replying to Noxx's suggestion.

If you look at the top of my post, you'll see that I quoted his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been in regard to mask wearing in shops around Galway? Mortons in Salthill have insisted on masks since 20th July. Centra in Salthill have a sign up saying it's up to you if you wear one or not. Aldi in Westside isn't policing it. So many mixed messages out there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been in regard to mask wearing in shops around Galway? Mortons in Salthill have insisted on masks since 20th July. Centra in Salthill have a sign up saying it's up to you if you wear one or not. Aldi in Westside isn't policing it. So many mixed messages out there :confused:

From what I’ve witnessed, uptake seems to be increasing across the town. From my own point of view, I don’t take notice of whether it’s a shops policy or not, if I’m going in, the mask is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Completely up to yourself with no indication - signage or otherwise - that its required, in any shops I've been in. I don't think it is reasonable to expect shops to police it anyway, it's not realistic. It comes down to personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I don't think it is reasonable to expect shops to police it anyway, it's not realistic.
    I dunno - a "No Mask, No Service" sign on the outside would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think from what I've seen, it's been the supermarkets that have a larger percentage of people using them, more than the smaller shops.

That's probably because people are going into a supermarket for the big 20 minute shop but are just popping in to the smaller shop to pay for fuel or grab something at the deli and out again in 2 minutes.

• Advertisement

AIDS, TB, Covid-19, etc?

Why not if it’s in the interest of public health. Plenty of stories of infected people disregarding precautions, if they were known people could avoid them, report them etc, public health trumps any privacy nonsense you will no doubt highlight.

serfboard wrote: »
    I dunno - a "No Mask, No Service" sign on the outside would do it.

in a small shop with a limited number of people at any one time - maybe.

Larger shops, I don't think so... plenty of people are technically wearing them - but a fair % are wandering the aisles wearing "chin warmers". Completely pointless. I can't imagine the supermarkets are asking their min wage student employees to police the checkouts either.

in a small shop with a limited number of people at any one time - maybe.

Larger shops, I don't think so... plenty of people are technically wearing them - but a fair % are wandering the aisles wearing "chin warmers". Completely pointless. I can't imagine the supermarkets are asking their min wage student employees to police the checkouts either.

No different to refusing drink to a person under 18, people are making an awful big deal out of an easy task. No mask no service, security on the door should be turning them away before they enter in the first place.

No different to refusing drink to a person under 18, people are making an awful big deal out of an easy task. No mask no service, security on the door should be turning them away before they enter in the first place.

Who pays for the extra security? What minimum wage bouncer / security guard is qualified to determine if someone is correctly wearing a mask? What do they do when the person removes the mask to sniff a loaf in the bread aisle? Swoop down from the ceiling and forcibly eject them?

You haven't thought this through, have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Aldi Knocknacara clear "Please wear a face covering sign" & virtually 100% compliance.

B&Q Knocknacara no sign & more than 50% not wearing a face covering.

Signs work but not if you word it as "up to you".

Why not if it’s in the interest of public health. Plenty of stories of infected people disregarding precautions, if they were known people could avoid them, report them etc, public health trumps any privacy nonsense you will no doubt highlight.

oh my god. Google GDPR.

I fear that people read these kind of posts and take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Who pays for the extra security? What minimum wage bouncer / security guard is qualified to determine if someone is correctly wearing a mask? What do they do when the person removes the mask to sniff a loaf in the bread aisle? Swoop down from the ceiling and forcibly eject them?

It doesn't need any of this. Just a polite "please wear a mask"

Discodog wrote: »
    Aldi Knocknacara clear "Please wear a face covering sign" & virtually 100% compliance.

B&Q Knocknacara no sign & more than 50% not wearing a face covering.

Signs work but not if you word it as "up to you".

I was actually in B&Q myself (and the neighbouring new Harvey Normans) and it seemed mask wearing was definitely in the majority to me, the time I was there. Whereas in 2 supermarkets I was in, I perceived it to be very lax. I dunno, maybe it is down to personal perception or the time of a given day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Discodog wrote: »

Not so much at Aldi Westside. Things have improved though, up to about 75% now and staff are finally wearing masks too.

They replaced door staff with a traffic light system and twice I've seen it not working and there was no control of the numbers in the shop. If the lights are down they should put someone back on the door.

• Advertisement

There is already security around the doors in most shops anyway so no extra needed, if people get through then the people at the tills can refuse them.

You are just talking rubbish aside from that, should no rules exist due to some difficult in some aspect of enforcing it?

If a person has a mask on then they are obeying the rule, they might not all be on right and people might sniff a loaf of bread. You can’t watch for everything but you can at least enforce the rule which will make a difference to the spread of the virus.

Look we all know you think it’s all a hoax and are against any effort to contain the virus so anything you say has to be taken with a pinch of salt, honestly this proves it. It would be extremely easy to enforce a mandatory mask rule.

In fairness mask wearing is very good in general in shops but it needs to be 100%. Outside of shops though things are gone to the dogs. I was in Galway yesterday for the first time since the start of march, I past though salthill and the place was an absolute disgrace. Packed with people, no social distancing, massive queues for all restaurants with everyone on top of each other (including inside queues with almost no mask wearing). I see the pubs won’t be reopening now on the 10th, it’s not enough imo. It’s time to close all pubs and restaurants again and forget about opening schools. What I saw yesterday tells me there is no way we are avoiding a spike.

Advertisement