Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You are just talking rubbish...
    Look we all know you think it’s all a hoax and are against any effort to contain the virus ...

Please keep your silly little theories on what you think I think to yourself, you haven't a clue, as per. A hoax? :rolleyes:

I simply suggested that a lot of this is down to personal responsibility and it isn't always reasonable or fair to expect shops to police it. And as I said, for the most part, I am seeing that people are generally doing their best, i.e. taking personal responsibility. But yet again you trot out the lock them up, name and shame them, badge them so we know who they are, flog them publicly, which is complete bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Not so much at Aldi Westside. Things have improved though, up to about 75% now and staff are finally wearing masks too.

They replaced door staff with a traffic light system and twice I've seen it not working and there was no control of the numbers in the shop. If the lights are down they should put someone back on the door.

Those traffic lights are above the door. They put signs explaining the lights on the doors but they only work if the doors are closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Who pays for the extra security? What minimum wage bouncer / security guard is qualified to determine if someone is correctly wearing a mask? What do they do when the person removes the mask to sniff a loaf in the bread aisle? Swoop down from the ceiling and forcibly eject them?

You haven't thought this through, have you.

Security in Dunnes were doing it at the door in one spot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Face masks are going to be mandatory now in shops.

It would be handy if people were told they had to wear them properly too and not just a chin strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fitz* wrote: »
    Face masks are going to be mandatory now in shops.

It would be handy if people were told they had to wear them properly too and not just a chin strap.

Not now, the 10th of August.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Not now, the 10th of August.

Interesting I didn’t know that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No different to refusing drink to a person under 18, people are making an awful big deal out of an easy task. No mask no service, security on the door should be turning them away before they enter in the first place.

Security at the door aren't well enough qualified to judge if an exemption applies or not. And there are exemptions, on a number of grounds.

I was in Boots today. Masks all round. But no one one the door monitoring numbers. Virtually no social distancing being applied - the aisle with floor marking for "in" was filled with a queue for a cosmetic counter. I strongly suspect that this is the result of "magic-mask syndrome" - people believe that if they're wearing one, social distancing rules don't apply.

That said, I don't for a minute believe we're heading for another wave, or a Galway outbreak. If we were, we'd be seeing signs of it by now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Security at the door aren't well enough qualified to judge if an exemption applies or not. And there are exemptions, on a number of grounds.

I was in Boots today. Masks all round. But no one one the door monitoring numbers. Virtually no social distancing being applied - the aisle with floor marking for "in" was filled with a queue for a cosmetic counter. I strongly suspect that this is the result of "magic-mask syndrome" - people believe that if they're wearing one, social distancing rules don't apply.

That said, I don't for a minute believe we're heading for another wave, or a Galway outbreak. If we were, we'd be seeing signs of it by now.

All it takes is 1

Well they are going to have to start doing it from the 10th whether you like it or not.

The vast majority of people can wear a mask, if you can’t then produce a letter from your GP otherwise stay out of shops.

Tig Choili reopened, serving Pizza Napoli pizza.

This is going to be the norm, if you owned a bar youd be a fool to stay closed another few weeks.

Just bend the existing rules, add something simple and outsource it if possible.

Coyotes opened selling pizza as well.

Does one pizza entitle any number of people to drink?. Might have to bend them myself this weekend and if me and a friend can go to two pubs and eat each and once my might stretch the evening out.

• Advertisement

This is going to be the norm, if you owned a bar youd be a fool to stay closed another few weeks.

Just bend the existing rules, add something simple and outsource it if possible.

Coyotes opened selling pizza as well.

Does one pizza entitle any number of people to drink?. Might have to bend them myself this weekend and if me and a friend can go to two pubs and eat each and once my might stretch the evening out.

Do everyone a favour and stay and home and stop the spread.

Nowhere should be open for sit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I do hope you are right but i don't think you are. Some signs of a slow climb now and I would say we could be in for a large increase in the next 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is hilarious.
    1000 people die of normal flu in Ireland per year, do we go into lock down and cancel sporting events during flu season every year?

If the match is on I’m going, and I’ll spend my weekend in Dublin on the beer with a crowd of Italians. If the match isn’t on I’ll spend the weekend on the beer with a crowd of Italians in Dublin

Nox when he was told to stay at home^^^! Italian match cancelled by the then government due to the obvious risk of people catching Covid-19.

John_Rambo wrote: »

Nox when he was told to stay at home^^^! Italian match cancelled by the then government due to the obvious risk of people catching Covid-19.

How many times does it have to be explained to you that people change their mind, I like most people did not realise the seriousness back then. Would you ever give up your nonsensical mission, what that mission is I don’t know but I think you have fallen off your bike too many times at this stage and your head is suffering.

How many times does it have to be explained to you that people change their mind, I like most people did not realise the seriousness back then. Would you ever give up your nonsensical mission, what that mission is I don’t know but I think you have fallen off your bike too many times at this stage and your head is suffering.

Why did you think the match was cancelled?? How could you not realise the seriousness, the warnings were everywhere, Italy was dying... And going on the piss with a load of Italians and then heading back to Galway to your elderly parents? And now, you're lecturing everyone on their behaviour.

Sorry Nox, has to be pointed out. Very amusing.

Why did you think the match was cancelled?? How could you not realise the seriousness, the warnings were everywhere, Italy was dying... And going on the piss with a load of Italians and then heading back to Galway to your elderly parents? And now, you're lecturing everyone on their behaviour.

Sorry Nox, has to be pointed out. Very amusing.

I didn’t go though, We could see that things were far more serious before anything went ahead and the whole thing was called off. You are leaving out this crucial point though as it doesn’t suit your narrative.

I wasn’t more 5km from the house from 15th March until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,508 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

biko wrote: »
    This is the city forum. Don't post other locations in this thread.
    Next time include a source as well, thanks.

Sunday World

I didn’t go though, We could see that things were far more serious before anything went ahead and the whole thing was called off. You are leaving out this crucial point though as it doesn’t suit your narrative.

Ah, so you didn't go to Dublin on the piss with your Italian friends, it was just all talk. Fair enough.
    It’s a compete overreaction, absolute madness cancelling the game and just hope the IRFU ignore him

Thankfully the IRFU and the majority of people in Ireland didn't ignore the then minister for health.

Ah, so you didn't go to Dublin on the piss with your Italian friends, it was just all talk. Fair enough. .

That post was nearly 2 weeks before the match, a lot changed in that two weeks. My friends did not travel to Ireland at all nor did I even leave the area surrounding our house on that weekend.

I was very wrong in my original assessment, most people did not realise how serious the situation was at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Seriously, give it a rest, you've bought this up enough now. People can change their mind and he has openly admitted to being wrong. That should be acknowledged and not thrown back in his face just because you don't agree with latest comments.

Ah, so you didn't go to Dublin on the piss with your Italian friends, it was just all talk. Fair enough.

Thankfully the IRFU and the majority of people in Ireland didn't ignore the then minister for health.

• Advertisement

Seriously, give it a rest, you've bought this up enough now. People can change their mind and he has openly admitted to being wrong. That should be acknowledged and not thrown back in his face just because you don't agree with latest comments.

I do agree with his latest comments. I've been social distancing, wearing masks, carrying out rigorous hand hygiene for myself and my family since February when it was very very obvious what was coming down the line. We had a new baby in the house so a bit of added pressure and didn't appreciate people not taking the proper precautions. I've had a family member almost die from it.

I'll take your sensible advice and refrain from bringing Nox's flippant attitude to C-19 in future though.

Nowhere should be open for sit in.

I've been to one house party since June, and countless restaurants/ cafes.

Guess which felt more unsafe in terms of distancing and ventilation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

I've been to one house party since June, and countless restaurants/ cafes.

Countless?! Sounds like a big F U to the vulnerable city centre residents in your community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Countless?! Sounds like a big F U to the vulnerable city centre residents in your community.

What??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I went into the city centre for my first time since February. I've been wearing a mask if going to a shop, post office etc. for months but have been choosing to limit trips to pretty much everywhere. It was great to see so many people wearing masks in the shopping centre. Still, I didn't feel very comfortable in the city.

I picked up some keys, left my car in for a service and figured I'd walk into town for a look. I was going to walk with my mask off but it became apparent quickly that people on the paths aren't bothered with social distance so I popped it on for walking around. I got to the top of Shop Street and turned around. Too many people and all walking way too close for comfort.

I wonder if at some point there will be a recommendation to wear the masks in the city too. Outdoors is lower risk but we are also told to wear a mask when social distancing is difficult or not possible and it seemed pretty much impossible in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I always thought you weren't supposed to touch the mask but if you stand outside any store for a few minutes you'll see most people pull them from their pocket before entering and then back in the pocket when leaving?

I think they definitely need more adds and/or notices explaining how to use masks. I think it was already said above but some people seem to think the mask replaces social distancing!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I went into the city centre for my first time since February. I've been wearing a mask if going to a shop, post office etc. for months but have been choosing to limit trips to pretty much everywhere. It was great to see so many people wearing masks in the shopping centre. Still, I didn't feel very comfortable in the city.

I picked up some keys, left my car in for a service and figured I'd walk into town for a look. I was going to walk with my mask off but it became apparent quickly that people on the paths aren't bothered with social distance so I popped it on for walking around. I got to the top of Shop Street and turned around. Too many people and all walking way too close for comfort.

I wonder if at some point there will be a recommendation to wear the masks in the city too. Outdoors is lower risk but we are also told to wear a mask when social distancing is difficult or not possible and it seemed pretty much impossible in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I always thought you weren't supposed to touch the mask but if you stand outside any store for a few minutes you'll see most people pull them from their pocket before entering and then back in the pocket when leaving?

I think they definitely need more adds and/or notices explaining how to use masks. I think it was already said above but some people seem to think the mask replaces social distancing!

This info needs to be made more public and clear. You'd be in and out of shops, getting coffee and stuff so would easy go through a bunch of masks if you didn't plan your trip right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I bring 3 masks with me. Had to go inside twice so switched to all 3 at one point or another. Cleaned at 60 degrees and all of that. Usually, I only bring 2 because the only time I have to go in somewhere is the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The idea behind masks is to protect others from you, not the other way around.

What difference does it make if you touch your own mask, so long as its on properly covering your nose & mouth?

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    The idea behind masks is to protect others from you, not the other way around.

What difference does it make if you touch your own mask, so long as its on properly covering your nose & mouth?

It's full of snotty bacteria, which we'd rather you don't put on your hands and places they touch. It may also contain some yummy viruses, possibly even Covid.

However masks become much less effective if they're wet.

So given the general weather here, frequent taking off and on is essential if you're going outside.

Advertisement