Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You didn't look hard enough.

Mcgettigan, Richardsons, the Skef, the Imperial were open. Barr an Chaladh were open earlier but had closed by about 3PM.

Shame on them.

The skeff and the imperial are both hotels. I havent heard of any hotels closing just yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

You didn't look hard enough.

Mcgettigan, Richardsons, the Skef, the Imperial were open. Barr an Chaladh were open earlier but had closed by about 3PM.

Shame on them.

Why? Had they more than 100 people in the pub? Did they not adhere to the social distancing? Did you go in and check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Why? Had they more than 100 people in the pub? Did they not adhere to the social distancing? Did you go in and check?

Well they are all being told to.close from tonight and hotel bars too....
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid19-pubs-asked-to-close-from-sunday-night-in-ireland-983397?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1584293980

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Tonight is not today

Sorry yea, they should all be open. Stop being a nob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cfeeneyinterior, chill please

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has there been any discussions in the city's factories about whether they can continue to operate. Some of them would still be open now wouldn't they?

flazio wrote: »
    Has there been any discussions in the city's factories about whether they can continue to operate. Some of them would still be open now wouldn't they?

Most would still be open and unfortunately some of them are basically the front line of attack against the virus. About 40% of the world ventilators are made in Galway.

About 40% of the world ventilators are made in Galway.

Wow, hopefully one of the success stories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Who is going to work tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Wombatman wrote: »

I'm taking it off cos the wife is working but I'll head back Wednesday unless I hear any different.
    Self employed, working in construction and I have a job I can go at that will be just myself at next week

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Me.

There will be a few others in, but nowhere near everyone.

My first priority is to continuing to enable anyone who can to work remotely. We've never done this before, so there are questions about whether our infrastructure will take the load.

Galway's factories mostly make medical devices, or allied things (pieces for construction, packaging, etc). Most are the very last places that should be closing.

Hopefully they aren't all exported like food was during the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Me, I work in retail, no choice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Psychlops wrote: »
    Me, I work in retail, no choice in it.

Likewise. And I must say the lack of care or any form of protection for retail workers and, by extension, customers is staggering. There's been zero acknowledgement of the reality of the situation in my place. And I'd say only about 1/3rd - if that - of the public and my coworkers do what they are supposed to in regards to coughing and handwashing. I can not believe how moronic people are. It's frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

As a TAXIDRIVER I will be going in .
    Expect business to be dire .
    Night drivers will switch to days as well as no pubs open .
    As long as the large companies stay open I will try to continue to work .
    Maybe the government will stop all public transport shortly .
    Tourism will be on its knees for a long time due to this .
    Nearby airports ( shannon and knock ) will struggle .
    Pubs / restaurants hotels are in for an extremely tough time .

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I got a takeaway coffee in 2 different cafes in salthill and the trade was way down in both of them compared to a normal sunday. Both normally have queues and there was a load of spare tables in both.

The prom was packed.

I’d be careful about take away coffees unless you bring your own cup. Those lids are always stuck together, and chances are that the person before you touched the lid you took.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

el_gaucho wrote: »
    I’d be careful about take away coffees unless you bring your own cup. Those lids are always stuck together, and chances are that the person before you touched the lid you took.
    I see a lot of cafés are refusing to touch keep cups.

el_gaucho wrote: »

I hear you, and the best thing to do is stay at home but in reality thats not always possible. I have tomorrow booked off long ago as its paddys day on Tuesday. But the reality is if someone has it they would have touched the door, the counter, the money the cashier would have it, so the lid is probably the not the first exposure id have had to the virus in your example.

There is only so much time people can spend indoors without venturing out for a short while. People should also be conscious that the hospitality industry is hard hit by this so the act of just buying a takeaway coffee might just help them keep the wolves from the door for another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Working in Uhg, in for 8 in morn

• Advertisement

Maybe the government will stop all public transport shortly .

And if this happens, will you be accepting my monthly bus ticket? Or expecting me to pay through the nose for your service?

I'm lucky - my industry isn't essential. When I'm told to stay home, I will.

But many people (healthcare, food distribution and retail, fuel, rubbish collection, water supply) will still NEED to get to work. Preventing them from doing so, unless they share a confined space with a taxi-driver, would be uttely stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

And if this happens, will you be accepting my monthly bus ticket? Or expecting me to pay through the nose for your service?

But mahny people (healthcare, food distribution and retail, fuel, rubbish collection, water supply) will still NEED to get to work. Preventing them from doing so, unless they share a confined space with a taxi-driver, would be uttely stupid.

Your obviously not self employed so you will get paid .... I won't .
    As for accepting your bus pass ???
    I drive a car not a bus .
    And with your attitude beleive me I don't want or need your custom !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Good time to ask the world to help fund a solution to the Parkmore congestion problem...? :)

(I jest)

Your obviously not self employed so you will get paid .... I won't .

Nope. Am expecting to be laid off before the end of the week.

Nope. Am expecting to be laid off before the end of the week.

Every cloud has a sliver lining, stay safe, stay positive

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lunchtime in Liosban closing for the virus
    https://www.facebook.com/lunchtimerest/

Every cloud has a sliver lining, stay safe, stay positive

Yes.

When the **** really starts to hit the fan, I hope people will use this forum to reach out, both for and with help. There is a lot of goodwill out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The people of Wuhan stood up when it mattered and provided free lift services to the health care workers. They also provided delivery of medicine and groceries to those who could not leave their houses or in isolation.

I could see the same happening here. Simon Harris said the government are looking into ways people can help withiut getting in the way of key services so I'll keep an eye out and see if I can be any help and I'm sure there will be loads more offering help.

But many people (healthcare, food distribution and retail, fuel, rubbish collection, water supply) will still NEED to get to work. Preventing them from doing so, unless they share a confined space with a taxi-driver, would be uttely stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Rumours deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Does anyone know if
    a) hotels will stay open
    b) their restaurants will just serve residents / public
    c) take aways or any restaurants open? Even to take food out.

Asking for someone not on boards.

Advertisement