Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

One of our wealthy neighbours is having some kind of large party today. About 10 cars at the house and along the road outside. No masks, people coming and going.

* bangs head against wall *

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

61 cases today none in Galway and thankfully no deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Well on that point I think maybe you're imagining more mixing than might take place.
    Two of my friends have married this summer with 50 or less guests. One had her parents ,4 siblings and their partners and their 4 children. Then she had 2 aunts and their husbands. Including herself & husband that's 20 people. All people who call to her mothers house every few days or weeks. All people with a vested interest in everyone there staying well. Those 20 people have been their social circle for the past few months. Similar on her husbands side.

Neither of the couples I knew invited any friends and were very conscious of their parents and relations who were immunocompromised so were extremely careful, knew no one would rock up feeling a little under the weather but still able to party etc.

You just wouldn't be able to rely on that in the same manner at a gig. You only need one bored lonely person to arrive with a bit of a headache/sore throat because they think they're grand. The idea of passing something to family concentrates the mind more than randomers at a gig.

Fair enough there may be really different set ups depending. My friends (one set anyway) are older and would mostly be friends, and only two parents.
    I do think people will be selfish whether a gig or a wedding, and, like you say, take a risk, but I think there will be less mingling at a gig. The one I referenced was really well laid out, and I feel so bad for the organisers.

And sorry, I disagree with your last sentence, if I felt sick I wouldn't be going anywhere. You might know the guest list at a wedding and if they had underlying conditions, but you don't know anything about 'randomers' so I'd imagine people being even more careful. There's that weird thing happening with families and close friends where they think as they like the people they are less likely to infect each other. I've seen it in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

inisboffin wrote: »

And sorry, I disagree with your last sentence, if I felt sick I wouldn't be going anywhere. You might know the guest list at a wedding and if they had underlying conditions, but you don't know anything about 'randomers' so I'd imagine people being even more careful. There's that weird thing happening with families and close friends where they think as they like the people they are less likely to infect each other. I've seen it in action!

Yes! The piece in bold I agree with! That is a very strange phenomenon! You'd wonder what mental glitch is responsible for that. I think it's more in homes though, outside I think people are quite careful and more conscious with family members.

I'd love to think people heading to a gig consider the well being of everyone present, while I'm sure you would and I would, I just wouldn't trust many to bin the ticket they've paid good money for because they've a slight scratchy throat that's most likely nothing.

I guess we agree to disagree. :)
    The family thing is an interesting point though. I wonder how you'd get people to cop on to that one. You'd be forced to acknowledge we are aren't nearly as clever or logical a species as we like to think.

147 new cases - looks very high for a Monday.

73 are in Dublin, 17 in Kildare, 12 in Offaly, 11 in Wicklow, 9 in Limerick and the remaining 25 cases are in Carlow, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Galway, Laois, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Tipperary and Wexford.

Lifting of the Offaly lockdown might have been too soon.

• Advertisement

LostDuck wrote: »
    147 new cases - looks very high for a Monday.

73 are in Dublin, 17 in Kildare, 12 in Offaly, 11 in Wicklow, 9 in Limerick and the remaining 25 cases are in Carlow, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Galway, Laois, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Tipperary and Wexford.

Lifting of the Offaly lockdown might have been too soon.

No new cases in Galway still at 509

Storm 10 wrote: »
    No new cases in Galway still at 509

1-8 cases in Galway today. Most likely 1-2 or they'd get a specific call out. Will be in the county breakdown tomorrow.

92 new cases no deaths thank God one new one in Galway

With the covid camps opening from today onwards the numbers could be fairly shocking come two weeks time :(

92 new cases no deaths thank God one new one in Galway

Just to add...

"Of today's cases, 31 are in Tipperary, 17 are in Dublin, 7 are in Clare, 7 are in Wexford, 5 are in Kildare and the remaining 25 cases are in Carlow, Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Kilkenny, Limerick, Louth, Meath, Monaghan and Wicklow."

1-4 Galway case(s) to show up on the county breakdown tomorrow. Most likely 2.

• Advertisement

With the covid camps opening from today onwards the numbers could be fairly shocking come two weeks time :(

Stop posting your rubbish have you children because if you have you would not post these comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Stop posting your rubbish have you children because if you have you would not post these comments

Just ignore him. Posts the same absolute drivel day in day out. He was in a parenting sub forum last week posting the same crap. You can imagine how that went down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

For reference the cul camps took place this summer and out of 71000 attending only 1 positive case was recorded. So the language you use is unhelpful at best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just to add...

"Of today's cases, 31 are in Tipperary, 17 are in Dublin, 7 are in Clare, 7 are in Wexford, 5 are in Kildare and the remaining 25 cases are in Carlow, Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Kilkenny, Limerick, Louth, Meath, Monaghan and Wicklow."

1-4 Galway case(s) to show up on the county breakdown tomorrow. Most likely 2.

Just curious as to how you are arriving at the conclusion that it is "Most likely 2"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just curious as to how you are arriving at the conclusion that it is "Most likely 2"

25 cases and 12 counties listed

25 cases and 12 counties listed

But is that not assuming that all those cases are evenly spread between the 12 counties? That is highly unlikely. I mean, one of those counties could have 3 or 4 cases and another county migh only have 1

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Almost certainly less than 5.

25 cases between 12 counties. Average of just over 2 per county.

The lowest callout was 5 in Kildare. So presumably those 12 counties are between 1-4 each. If a couple of counties had 4 I'd expect they would get a call out so with 25 cases to distribute I'd expect a lot of 2s for most with +/-1 for some.

Why would I not post it because I have children? Rubbish assumptions! Schools should not be opening if I had a child of school going age I would be even more against schools opening than I am as I would not want them exposed to the increased virus risk and in turn exposing me, my wife, grandparents on both sides etc.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Just ignore him. Posts the same absolute drivel day in day out. He was in a parenting sub forum last week posting the same crap. You can imagine how that went down there.

Plenty of parents are against the schools openingand a number were posting in that thread. My comments went down just fine some agreed some disagreed. Loads of teachers are also against it.
    For reference the cul camps took place this summer and out of 71000 attending only 1 positive case was recorded. So the language you use is unhelpful at best

Outdoor event and ran at a time with the virus cases were very low. No comparison whatsoever with schools with cases high as they are now. 40 schools in Berlin were closed again within 2 weeks of opening, we need to wake up and cop on and stop this madness before it’s too late.

Almost certainly less than 5.

The question was how the figure of 2 was being arrived at bumble, nothing to do with 5.

If they are releasing the actual figures for the counties with 5 or more, then it is obvious that the counties they are not including the specific figures for have to be less than 5.

• Advertisement

25 cases between 12 counties. Average of just over 2 per county.

The lowest callout was 5 in Kildare. So presumably those 12 counties are between 1-4 each. If a couple of counties had 4 I'd expect they would get a call out so with 25 cases to distribute I'd expect a lot of 2s for most with +/-1 for some.

All I was trying to establish was, that at best the comment was more guesswork than fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My comments went down just fine...

Really... I must have have read a different thread. You've been at it since March, whipping up hysterics from your virtual barstool. It seems to be tolerated in here more than elsewhere.

“Loads” of teachers want to go back to work too. My sister, her husband, many of their extended circle of friends are primary school teachers. They want to go back to work. It’s been long enough. Which “loads” of teachers do you personally know?

The kids are going back to school. You'll just have to deal with it. Maybe find an alternative to the free grandparents perhaps. Give them a day off.

All I was trying to establish was, that at best the comment was more guesswork than fact.

Yes, a logical guess. That's why I said "most likely", not "tomorrow there will be...".

Could be 1, 2, 3 or 4. If a couple of counties had the upper range and the rest were 1s I'd expect those counties to be mentioned separately.

The question was how the figure of 2 was being arrived at bumble, nothing to do with 5.

If they are releasing the actual figures for the counties with 5 or more, then it is obvious that the counties they are not including the specific figures for have to be less than 5.

Is that the policy that they only specify 5+ case counties?
    If so, we could well have a few 4s mopping about half of those cases.

Yes, a logical guess. That's why I said "most likely", not "tomorrow there will be...".

Could be 1, 2, 3 or 4. If a couple of counties had the upper range and the rest were 1s I'd expect those counties to be mentioned separately.

You said the same yesterday yet it was only one

You said the same yesterday yet it was only one

I said "most likely 1-2" yesterday, which it was.

Yep, I understand that LostDuck, it wasn't a dig at you or your post, I just thought you might have had a way of knowing more about the figures than I did myself.

Is that the policy that they only specify 5+ case counties?
    If so, we could well have a few 4s mopping about half of those cases.

Not sure if it's their policy or not, I was going on the way they released the figures today. They gave the figures for all counties with 5 or more cases but no figures for counties with less than 5.

Maybe they reckon that anything less than 5 might make it easier for people to work out who the individuals are?

Maybe they reckon that anything less than 5 might make it easier for people to work out who the individuals are?

Well those county specifics are released the following day.

I'm surprised they don't just release both together at this stage now that they're giving a good rundown of the spread as part of the national summary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is the sort of finger pointing we need to avoid. Not so long ago people gathering outdoors were "scum" and should all be "locked up", according to you even though people with a better handle on things were telling you it was safe.

Now you're targeting kids and schools with your scare mongering. There will be clusters and there will be localised lockdowns. It's up to households not to mix now, it's up to adults to behave and avoid elderly and vulnerable people.

Plenty of health workers had to move out of elderly relations houses, they had to sort out alternative child care, they had to relocate and reorganise their lives.

Advertisement