Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

For the fellow nerds... I've run the numbers to validate my guesstimate.

On 1st August Dublin got called out separately for 4 cases, and Meath before that for 4 cases. This is the lowest call out I've seen, so assuming the 12 counties that haven't been broken out yet all have less than 4 cases the odds of a county having 1-3 cases are as follows;

1 Case - 21%
    2 Cases - 50%
    3 Cases - 29%

If they no longer call out 4 case counties separately then the odds are;

1 Case - 33%
    2 Cases - 37%
    3 Cases - 19%
    4 Cases - 11%

Interesting results (non-nerds should have stopped reading by now) with so many cases to distribute between so many counties. I might tidy up the script later and post online to input the next daily summaries.

This doesn't give any weighting for county populations etc.

John_Rambo wrote: »

Plenty of health workers had to move out of elderly relations houses, they had to sort out alternative child care, they had to relocate and reorganise their lives.

People keep saying this like it’s easy.

I know healthcare workers who had no option but to continue with grandparents doing childminding right though the pandemic as they had no other options, I know health care workers who had to continue to care for at risk elderly parents or grandparents etc.

People can’t just move out or find alternatives so easily, a good dose of cop on is needed by you (and not for the first time). Those who can get alternatives will but most can’t.

The schools opening is a very large and unnecessary risk to be taking. Suppressing the virus should be our no1 priority everything else can be sorted out again when we get on top of that.

How many lives lost are acceptable in order to pack kids into schools? 1, 10, 100?? Education can wait lives cannot be brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I know healthcare workers who had no option but to continue with grandparents doing childminding right though the pandemic as they had no other options, I know health care workers who had to continue to care for at risk elderly parents or grandparents etc.

People can’t just move out or find alternatives so easily, a good dose of cop on is needed by you (and not for the first time). Those who can get alternatives will but most can’t.

The schools opening is a very large and unnecessary risk to be taking. Suppressing the virus should be our no1 priority everything else can be sorted out again when we get on top of that.

How many lives lost are acceptable in order to pack kids into schools? 1, 10, 100?? Education can wait lives cannot be brought back.

From the HSE today they will never be able to get rid of the virus so you are going to have to learn to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nobodies saying that it's easy. Nothing about this situation is easy.

Yeah, it's fairly common for you to suddenly "know" people from areas of society you previously wouldn't know to bolster your argument. So I'll take that with a pinch of salt cry wolf.

You've consistently got everything wrong throughout this pandemic. Hopefully, you're consistent and you've got it wrong again. Remember, if your in contact with kids or their parents avoid your elderly relations. Don't be flippant, take my advice seriously and they'll be fine.

We need to learn live with this virus. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

164 new cases reported, no further deaths

93 are in Dublin, 22 in Kildare, 10 in Tipperary, 9 in Cork, 8 in Carlow, 6 in Waterford, 6 in Offaly and the remaining 10 cases are in Galway, Kilkenny, Limerick, Louth and Roscommon

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

You've consistently got everything wrong throughout this pandemic. Hopefully, you're consistent and you've got it wrong again. Remember, if your in contact with kids or their parents avoid your elderly relations. Don't be flippant, take my advice seriously and they'll be fine.

You are taking pure rubbish as usual. I have been pretty much spot on with everything I’ve said throughout, the lack of a spike directly related to BLM protests aside which was a miracle in itself and still even in hindsight was attended by idiots with no respect for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Spot on with everything, except that weekend when you were spewing the most hateful bile? Do you ever proof read what you post?

For me, there’s one poster continually posting rubbish and it’s not J_R.

164 new cases reported, no further deaths

93 are in Dublin, 22 in Kildare, 10 in Tipperary, 9 in Cork, 8 in Carlow, 6 in Waterford, 6 in Offaly and the remaining 10 cases are in Galway, Kilkenny, Limerick, Louth and Roscommon

One in Galway

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Spot on with everything, except that weekend when you were spewing the most hateful bile? Do you ever proof read what you post?

For me, there’s one poster continually posting rubbish and it’s not J_R.

I stand by everything I said, there wasn’t a spike in cases but anyone who attended still deserved every ounce of abuse I gave them and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I stand by everything I said, there wasn’t a spike in cases but anyone who attended still deserved every ounce of abuse I gave them and more.

If you had an ounce of humility in your posts, they’d be more tolerable. I dunno, maybe just admit it once in a while that you’ve over egged it a little bit, once in a while? Maybe you’d gain a bit more credibility. I find your posts unhelpful at best, but because I’m familiar with your posting history, I cannot take any of it seriously, it’s beyond parody.

• Advertisement

He is a scaremonger thrives on it, remember all the spikes he said would happen in Galway, what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    He is a scaremonger thrives on it, remember all the spikes he said would happen in Galway, what happened

Exactly, last week he said we were going into a full countrywide lockdown again, before the Tuesday announcement. Another quality prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Exactly, last week he said we were going into a full countrywide lockdown again, before the Tuesday announcement. Another quality prediction.

That wasn't a prediction.

It was an opinion about what should happen. One opinion, thankfully not shared by our leaders. But I'm sure there are some doctors who agree with it.

I usually disagree with what noxx says.

But I know that his posting is a good representation of what lots of rural people think. It's good to be aware that these views are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Storm 10 wrote: »
    From the HSE today they will never be able to get rid of the virus so you are going to have to learn to live with it.

This is it exactly - we have to learn to live with it and arguing over schools opening is just stupid. They have to open but its important the right precautions are taken and some personnel responsibility comes into effect. The parents will play a big part in this being successful by keeping contacts as low as they can. Its important to remember that yes some teachers want to return but equally some are nervous about it and as mentioned some have to assess their own living conditions, doesn't mean they don't open but at least have some respect for them as it can't be easy returning to this environment.

There will be outbreaks but we are in a better place to quickly control them and learn from them.

Another key point at the moment - we need to learn from the past few months from here in Ireland and all other countries. Sure we'll make mistakes and some advice from those in charge might not make sense but we have to remember that yes we are essentially "making it up as we go", hence why mistakes will be made. Some advice will be good and some not so good, learn from it, correct it and move on.

In fairness I look at life now and what it was back in April and we've come along way. Long may this continue and if people listen and apply the guidelines where possible then we'll be successful. We all relax and make mistakes (we're human after all) but so long as its only a small percentage that blatantly ignore the guidelines then we'll be OK.

Each and everyone of us play a part in this and its up to each person how they want to play it out because its how the majority behave that will decide the outcome.

It wasn’t a prediction it was what I felt should happen if you re-read my posts you will see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It wasn’t a prediction it was what I felt should happen if you re-read my posts you will see that.

Why would I re-read your posts Nox, they're all interchangeable, we've all been subjected to them for a while now. A version of the same spiel everytime, 'lock down the country', 'virus will be rampant after what happened the last day', 'hose down your groceries', 'close the shops, bars and restaurants'. It's one long and broken record.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring this thread back to Galway city.
    There is a full forum for nationwide or worldwide discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

With the rise in cases nationally how is Galway doing now. Seems to be low but the schools opening may cause a spike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

saabsaab wrote: »
    With the rise in cases nationally how is Galway doing now. Seems to be low but the schools opening may cause a spike?

Galway officially standing at 514 which makes a jump of 5 on the last time county figures were updated but it seems to have been a rise of 1 a day or thereabouts. We are doing surprisingly well.
    Maybe because we've had a lot more opportunities to have younger demographics/under 45s mixing outdoors so far. This seems to be the group where on average 70% of infections are occurring these days.

I watched the country wide update on the news tonight. There was some worrying stuff in the press conference. 1 in 5 cases are now community transmission,ie arrising without any indication of from where.
    They mentioned 2 outbreaks in and from restaurants. One had 28 people in a restaurant affected with 10 further cases traced directly to it in wider family outbreaks. There may have been more but just 10 definite outside contacts. One restaurant had 19 infected between staff and customers with no further tracing on their numbers.

It would make me concerned about schools. I guess we just wait and see!
    Most recent survey says 6% of parents are planning to keep their children home.

513 according to today's County numbers

• Advertisement

Galway is 513 now, +2 today. We've been getting a few cases over the week but escaping most of this national surge so far.

I've noticed the county cases have been shifting around quite a bit. The numbers on the national summary are often moved around in the county breakdown the following day.

The national picture, showing the recent surge in cases...

524523.jpg

How's Galway doing? Great - a trickle of cases but very steady.

524520.jpg

Why is Kildare still in Lockdown? Their cases are still surging;

524521.jpg

But isn't Dublin the problem? Not really, they've more cases but a big population.

524522.jpg

Charts: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    Interesting to look at the counties that went in and out of regional lockdown, it seemed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thanks for that brilliant perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Could ya do us a graph for Clare?

They're worryingly close, and seem to get cases more often then I'd expected given the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They're worryingly close, and seem to get cases more often then I'd expected given the population.

169716da4d.JPG

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    Bring this thread back to Galway city.
    There is a full forum for nationwide or worldwide discussion.

Absolutely.

As the schools go back it's down to us, the city dwellers to bear the brunt of this pandemic, keep the economy going and take personal responsibility. I have family in Galway City and Dublin City and we haven't have physical contact since April. My new daughter hasn't properly met any of my family, grandparents, uncles, aunts, nieces and nephews from both sides of the country haven't touched or held her.

We've staycationed around the country safely with one person doing the shopping (with masks and extreme hand hygiene and was laughed at in some shops) and we avoided restaurants, cafés, eateries etc..

Household mixing is what the virus loves. Work related infections (mushroom farms and meat packers) are a fraction of infections in comparison to household infections.

It's imperative that families with school kids don't mix with families that aren't from the same pods and elderly grandparents need to be totally distanced.

This is what a lot of city dwellers have been doing for a long time now, and it's time for everyone to step up and behave properly to avoid older, obese, asthmatic people getting infected.

The charts are just pulled from here, you can pick any county;
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You are taking pure rubbish as usual. I have been pretty much spot on with everything I’ve said throughout, the lack of a spike directly related to BLM protests aside which was a miracle in itself and still even in hindsight was attended by idiots with no respect for anyone.

You wanted the Italy rugby game and Cheltenham to go ahead

It's imperative that families with school kids don't mix with families that aren't from the same pods and elderly grandparents need to be totally distanced.

Again said like its easy when grandparents are a crucial part of day to day lives for many people doing childminding, school drop offs or actually living in the same house.

I have read that quite a few parents are keeping children at home from school for the first few weeks and I think this is a wise decision.
    This is what a lot of city dwellers have been doing for a long time now, and it's time for everyone to step up and behave properly to avoid older, obese, asthmatic people getting infected.

This is one hell of a roundabout way to give a dig at rural dwellers. There is zero evidence to support any of that rubbish you posted. The cities is where the infection is most, the cities are where restaurants and bars are open. Its city dwellers who I see ignoring regulations the most.
    You wanted the Italy rugby game and Cheltenham to go ahead

We aren't back to this for about the 5th time are we? I never said I wanted Cheltenham to go ahead and I only said I wanted the Italy game to go ahead before it was clear how bad this virus was. There is likely not a person posting here who as respected the lockdown as tightly as I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

We aren't back to this for about the 5th time are we? I never said I wanted Cheltenham to go ahead and I only said I wanted the Italy game to go ahead before it was clear how bad this virus was. There is likely not a person posting here who as respected the lockdown as tightly as I have.

The point is you were wrong then and likely wrong now. You completely underestimated the virus when there was an issue and now when the knowledge of the virus , the way most people behave and the treatment of the virus has changed you have remained stuck in the past. As of now in galway you are about as likely to win the lottery as catch Covid once you practice safe procedures. Now that is likely to change as winter rolls in but as the old saying goes, a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Advertisement