Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Again said like its easy when grandparents are a crucial part of day to day lives for many people doing childminding, school drop offs or actually living in the same house.

Avoid contact with elders if you have kids in school.
    This is one hell of a roundabout way to give a dig at rural dwellers. There is zero evidence to support any of that rubbish you posted. The cities is where the infection is most, the cities are where restaurants and bars are open. Its city dwellers who I see ignoring regulations the most.

Who told you that?? I'm afraid you're incorrect (again) Galway has kept a steady position at the lower end of the national scale throughout this pandemic, currently accounting for just 1.9% of the cases in the country. That's the whole county including the city, amazing compared to other rural counties that don't have cities.

You're really not doing your homework on Nox. Trust me, it's good advice and I've been pretty spot on throughout this pandemic.
    We aren't back to this for about the 5th time are we? I never said I wanted Cheltenham to go ahead and I only said I wanted the Italy game to go ahead before it was clear how bad this virus was. There is likely not a person posting here who as respected the lockdown as tightly as I have.

Ah, forgot about that, yet another bad call. Thankfully people had more sense and cancelled the rugby and most didn't travel to the capital as planned to increase the infections.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Avoid contact with elders if you have kids in school.

You keep reciting this mantra without any attempt to address the fact it's not possible for a lot of people.

You keep reciting this mantra without any attempt to address the fact it's not possible for a lot of people.

You keep reciting that it's not possible yet people are doing it all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You made a life choice. You decided to move back in with your parents to avail of free dinners, free rent, free childcare. Are you suggesting that if push came to shove, that if you or your family’s health depended on it, that you have no other option? Of course you do FFS, but it just isn’t palatable as it would upset your handy setup. Ultimately this is likely the primary reason you’re in here like a broken record for the last 5 months.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You made a life choice. You decided to move back in with your parents to avail of free dinners, free rent, free childcare. Are you suggesting that if push came to shove, that if you or your family’s health depended on it, that you have no other option? Of course you do FFS, but it just isn’t palatable as it would upset your handy setup. Ultimately this is likely the primary reason you’re in here like a broken record for the last 5 months.

There is quite a few inaccuracies in your post but to synopsise I don’t have a school aged child so it’s not impacting me directly but I have friends and family members who rely on grandparents for childminding or pick ups/ drop offs etc. Will I be doing so in future yes but not at this time.

I’m not interested in going into detail but I have spent very little time living at home since covid started mostly for covid precautionary reasons as I managed to secure a place close by temporarily while building.

There is zero openings for childcare in our area, even before covid it was almost impossible never mind now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

127 new cases.

There were 52 cases in Dublin, 13 in Monaghan, nine in Tipperary, eight in Meath, eight in Wexford, eight in Roscommon and the remaining 29 are located in Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Waterford, Westmeath and Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's imperative that families with school kids don't mix with families that aren't from the same pods and elderly grandparents need to be totally distanced.

It's funny no matter how you frame it the advice has been the same for hundreds of years: avoid crowds, social distance, maintain good hygiene.

It's as if people out there are thinking, "what a minute, that's almost too simple!" and start looking for ways to pick it apart.

My daughter returned to school so had close contact with friends in her class. She was really excited that she would now be able to stop social distancing with her 2 friends in the estate who each go to different schools. She was in tears as we explained if they were from her class bubble it would be one thing but bringing 3 different bubbles together is even worse than before. She was sad, but understood it's not over just because she returned to school. At least she has that... for now. It was like she was going to Disneyland she was so excited to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just to comment on the city dwellers being the ones not following guidelines. I have been into the city now a few times over the last 8 weeks. Other than two women in Tesco not wearing masks this week, it seems like compliance is very high...where as, my uncle owns a shop about 30 minutes outside of the city and has a hard time with local, particularly the older crowd coming in not wearing masks. I'm living out by Kinvara, an old lad was dropped off outside the post office, he cleared his nose onto the footpath, coughed up a lung and then walked into the post office and said "sorry, I forgot my mask"

I was in Tesco the week before the masks became mandatory. I hadn't been out in a while before that and had thought they were already mandatory and didn't notice anyone not wearing them.

When I was in getting my car worked on a few weeks ago, my only concern in the city was that with so many people around on the narrow pathways that I thought people should probably be wearing masks when walking around outside in the city too. I was in with the car this week and noticed there were a lot more people actually wearing masks while out walking too.

I think Galway has been doing a pretty good job so far and it seems to show in the number of cases. It's odd that Mayo, Clare and some other counties are having larger numbers.

I wonder if Clare's is due to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway is packed with tourists I was in the City today and it was jammers walking on the footpath, however there were a lot of masks around, the hop on hop off bus was pretty full as was the train

The rooftop beer garden in O'Reillys Salthill was like a night club this evening. Big sound system, music blaring with the crowd singing along. They've been pushing it for a few weeks but really taking the piss today. And a Garda station around the corner.

Some of the pubs on Quay Street have dropped the meal requirement too, I know a few people that have been out drinking several nights this week.

We've been very luck in Galway so far, a couple of positive cases into these social groups and it could flare up.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Just to comment on the city dwellers being the ones not following guidelines. I have been into the city now a few times over the last 8 weeks. Other than two women in Tesco not wearing masks this week, it seems like compliance is very high...where as, my uncle owns a shop about 30 minutes outside of the city and has a hard time with local, particularly the older crowd coming in not wearing masks. I'm living out by Kinvara, an old lad was dropped off outside the post office, he cleared his nose onto the footpath, coughed up a lung and then walked into the post office and said "sorry, I forgot my mask"

I was in Tesco the week before the masks became mandatory. I hadn't been out in a while before that and had thought they were already mandatory and didn't notice anyone not wearing them.

When I was in getting my car worked on a few weeks ago, my only concern in the city was that with so many people around on the narrow pathways that I thought people should probably be wearing masks when walking around outside in the city too. I was in with the car this week and noticed there were a lot more people actually wearing masks while out walking too.

I think Galway has been doing a pretty good job so far and it seems to show in the number of cases. It's odd that Mayo, Clare and some other counties are having larger numbers.

I wonder if Clare's is due to tourists.

Yeah, city dwellers were pretty on the ball from day one. The pure nature of cities makes them the hotspots and cities were the first to feel the brunt. Most frontline health care workers live close to the hospitals and they're in urban areas.

When certain people were outraged at their lifestyle and sports fixtures being curtailed and postponed people in the know were circling the wagons and taking precautions very early on, leading by example, posting online & schooling aforementioned people in to complience, proper hygiene and good behaviour.

It has to be noted that Galway City is impressive with the low infection numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Some changes to the App.

Now showing daily cases & deaths

County break down has changed too, doesn't seem to be showing total confirmed cases anymore.

What do you think?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

LostDuck wrote: »

Some of the pubs on Quay Street have dropped the meal requirement too, I know a few people that have been out drinking several nights this week.

Can you name them if you are sure? I suppose it's still heresay if it wasn't you yourself, but curious to know?

I've heard of a pub (honestly don't know which, as the person who told me wasn't local but West of river) where they were offered a 'plate' of fried food which came with a 'free pint'. They could choose to only have the empty plate. At least they were being creative!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Galway is packed with tourists I was in the City today and it was jammers walking on the footpath, however there were a lot of masks around, the hop on hop off bus was pretty full as was the train

Seems to also be a large number of Irish people taking their holidays in Galway too. Which makes it all the more impressive that the cases have been kept lower. The number of cases listed as community transmission over the last couple of months is a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

42 new cases no deaths thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Some changes to the App.

Now showing daily cases & deaths

County break down has changed too, doesn't seem to be showing total confirmed cases anymore.

What do you think?
    I'm not sure it's an improvement. I suppose it's good to have a snapshot of the last two weeks easily accessible but I could see it being used as fuel for those shouting to lockdown Dublin.

The steady decline of people doing the daily check in on the app seems like a bad thing.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    42 new cases no deaths thank God

Another Galway case or two in those numbers too, details tomorrow.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Can you name them if you are sure? I suppose it's still heresay if it wasn't you yourself, but curious to know?

Well the XXX anyway, a friend was in and they were trying to get me and a few others to join them. They went for just drinks a few times in the last week. Apparently other pubs fairly lax too but haven't been chatting to anyone directly who was in.

You might have to he a familiar Galway head to be let in for pints, not sure.

LostDuck wrote: »
    Well the XXX anyway, a friend was in and they were trying to get me and a few others to join them. They went for just drinks a few times in the last week. Apparently other pubs fairly lax too but haven't been chatting to anyone directly who was in.

You might have to he a familiar Galway head to be let in for pints, not sure.

Not in Galway but I was talking to a colleague in Dublin and he said that midweek especially that his local will serve drink only to people they know as regular customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm always a bit wary of weekend numbers.
    Many of us here won't be able to contact our gp until Monday if we are showing symptoms. Therefore we just isolate until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

LostDuck, please stop posting hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

grbear wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's an improvement. I suppose it's good to have a snapshot of the last two weeks easily accessible but I could see it being used as fuel for those shouting to lockdown Dublin.

The steady decline of people doing the daily check in on the app seems like a bad thing.

I think it is bad that they removed the total confirmed case per county from the App. It was nice to have a record of total cases handy.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

flazio wrote: »
    I'm always a bit wary of weekend numbers.
    Many of us here won't be able to contact our gp until Monday if we are showing symptoms. Therefore we just isolate until then.

The out of hours GP can refer you, do not need to wait until Monday

Not in Galway but I was talking to a colleague in Dublin and he said that midweek especially that his local will serve drink only to people they know as regular customers.

I'm in Dublin (and Galway) working on marketing campaigns, photography and social media with a good few urban & suburban pubs and restaurants since they opened. Serving drink only is a no-no under any circumstances. Too many risks and to many ways to get caught with people whipping out their phones. They're even clamping down on people ordering food to not eat at this stage.

More finger pointing & hearsay. Good to see Biko Mod calling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well I can tell you for sure that there was 3 places west of the river adhering to the food purchasing rules and times last weekend, varying from strict to extremely strict basis. No let up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fitz* wrote: »
    Well I can tell you for sure that there was 3 places west of the river adhering to the food purchasing rules and times last weekend, varying from strict to extremely strict basis. No let up.

And I can offer the same observation about three places in east of the river.

Ok - some may be pushing the boundaries. But by no means all are.

And the number of cases linked to "restaurants" remains small.

biko wrote: »
    LostDuck, please stop posting hearsay.

The only way for it not to he hearsay would be to go in and join them, which I don't intend on doing. They shared photos from their evenings, no food involved.

I didnt name any pub in the first post as it's not linkable, even though sometimes things happen offline.

I'm in Dublin (and Galway) working on marketing campaigns, photography and social media with a good few urban & suburban pubs and restaurants since they opened. Serving drink only is a no-no under any circumstances. Too many risks and to many ways to get caught with people whipping out their phones. They're even clamping down on people ordering food to not eat at this stage.

More finger pointing & hearsay. Good to see Biko Mod calling it out.

Well I can tell you it is fact.

Well I can tell you it is fact.

It's not. "Someone I know told me someone who's a local gets served drink 200k away..." is more gossip and hearsay from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

grbear wrote: »

I don't think so. It's just people getting tired of opening the app and clicking "I'm fine" on it. As long as people are logging if they do have symptoms then that's the important one

Advertisement