Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

xckjoo wrote: »
    I don't think so. It's just people getting tired of opening the app and clicking "I'm fine" on it. As long as people are logging if they do have symptoms then that's the important one

It would be handy it if triggered a notification every morning at say 10am for everyone and you can just click "i'm fine" or "not good" without even opening the app (no dismiss option so you have to choose). I'm guilty of forgetting to check in myself somedays and would like to try keep doing it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

flazio wrote: »
    I'm always a bit wary of weekend numbers.
    Many of us here won't be able to contact our gp until Monday if we are showing symptoms. Therefore we just isolate until then.

This is true, but worth remembering that over the weekend you can call out of hours GP services and get free advice if you have concerns regarding covid symptoms. They can send you for a test for free too.

I don't trust the numbers at the weekend either though, Sunday is nearly always low, Monday too and then boom! on Tuesday. I think it might be to do with admin staff being off for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Vodafone reps are going door to door to sell broadband... is there not HSE guidance against this?

I wanted to debate it with the guy but being a sales rep he just kept talking at me until I had to close the door after saying no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭flazio

LostDuck wrote: »
    Vodafone reps are going door to door to sell broadband... is there not HSE guidance against this?

I wanted to debate it with the guy but being a sales rep he just kept talking at me until I had to close the door after saying no thanks.

Salessense One of the most ruthless companies out there. Them and Phone Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is guidance to work from home uf possible.

But I do not think this is a job you can do from home.

• Advertisement

I’ve heard of a number of companies doing door to door sales in recent weeks as I had relations rightly complaining about so it is happening. Phone watch being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Phonewatch have had people doing this for months. Please be nice to them, they’re just kids and they’re on commission earning next to nothing. Soul destroying for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Multipass wrote: »
    Phonewatch have had people doing this for months. Please be nice to them, they’re just kids and they’re on commission earning next to nothing. Soul destroying for them.

It's hard to be nice when you say no thanks but they keep on talking at you anyway.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin (and Galway) working on marketing campaigns, photography and social media with a good few urban & suburban pubs and restaurants since they opened. Serving drink only is a no-no under any circumstances. Too many risks and to many ways to get caught with people whipping out their phones. They're even clamping down on people ordering food to not eat at this stage.

More finger pointing & hearsay. Good to see Biko Mod calling it out.

They're now having to roll out a new layer of bureaucracy for all pubs to log meals sold, to try deal with the pubs serving drinks only....

Still think it's not happening?

They're now having to roll out a new layer of bureaucracy for all pubs to log meals sold, to try deal with the pubs serving drinks only....

Still think it's not happening?

Of course it’s happening but Johnny boy would swear black was white if it meant he could disagree with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Of course it’s happening but Johnny boy would swear black was white if it meant he could disagree with me.

Agreed, it is happening. 21 pubs caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,175 ✭✭✭✭zell12

05 September
    Of the 231 cases notified today, 133 are in Dublin, 18 in Kildare, 13 in Limerick, 8 in Offaly, 7 in Galway, 7 in Wicklow, 6 in Meath, 6 in Cork, 5 in Donegal, 5 in Cavan, 5 in Waterford, and the remaining 18 cases in Carlow, Clare, Kerry, Laois, Leitrim, Louth, Mayo, Monaghan, Sligo, and Tipperary.

+1 Galway case in county figures today
    +7 Galway cases to be in the county figures tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Staff member in Taylors has been in contact with a confirmed case.
    We have been notified that one of our staff members has been in close contact with a confirmed case of Covid-19. For the safety of our staff & customers we are closing until further notice & following HSE guidelines & protocols. We will reopen when advised that it is safe to do so. We appreciate the support, patience & understanding. Dated Sunday 6th September.

9 cases in Galway. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Do they give any details on if there is a cluster or if they are spread across the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ax530 wrote: »
    Do they give any details on if there is a cluster or if they are spread across the county.

No. Patient confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

ax530 wrote: »

Not too sure but it will probably be reported in time. There were very few cases if any reported throughout the week and talks of yesterdays high national number being due to a backlog, so I wouldn't be surprised if these cases were spread out over the week and released now. I think a weekly total with a daily average would be a better way to release numbers at this stage.

dmc17 wrote: »
    Not too sure but it will probably be reported in time. There were very few cases if any reported throughout the week and talks of yesterdays high national number being due to a backlog, so I wouldn't be surprised if these cases were spread out over the week and released now. I think a weekly total with a daily average would be a better way to release numbers at this stage.

They said the death happened in June but they didn't say that the high case numbers were a backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There's been an increase in covid cases in Galway over the past few days. 6 today. I think 9 another day. A few more another day.

What is that all about? Is it linked to any nursing homes or meat factories or hospitals? Or is it related to schools or pubs or private parties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

owlbethere wrote: »
    There's been an increase in covid cases in Galway over the past few days. 6 today. I think 9 another day. A few more another day.

What is that all about? Is it linked to any nursing homes or meat factories or hospitals? Or is it related to schools or pubs or private parties?

Would be interesting to know but I doubt we will be told officially. Probably related to the schools reopening, people coming back from their holidays.

+6 new Galway cases announced in national summary (102) today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

saabsaab wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know but I doubt we will be told officially. Probably related to the schools reopening, people coming back from their holidays.

According to the press conference this evening, there have been no outbreaks linked to schools anywhere as yet. The small number incidents in schools have been related to pupils/staff picking it up outside (at home), and class closures as a precaution due to contact.

saabsaab wrote: »

I found out. There's a cluster of cases around oranmore. I dont know from what.

So long as everyone in Galway does their bit and follow the guidelines on
    - social distancing
    - keep close contacts low
    - isolate if you feel unwell
    - practising good cough and sneeze etiquette
    - practicing good hand hygiene

Hopefully Galway can get out from this small cluster without it rising further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So long as everyone in Galway does their bit and follow the guidelines on
    - social distancing
    - keep close contacts low
    - isolate if you feel unwell
    - practising good cough and sneeze etiquette
    - practicing good hand hygiene

Hopefully Galway can get out from this small cluster without it rising further.

And wear a mask when appropriate.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

And wear a mask when appropriate.

Yes, can't believe I forgot that one.

Where'd you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Remember these numbers are realistically reflecting 10-14 day old contacts.
    That national stat of 25% not showing up for tests was shockin'!

Taylors closed temporarily due to a staff contact with a case. Fair play to them for acting. A couple of other businesses closed 'temporarily' with no reason given, won't name as it's not fair. Mondays are so quiet with loads of restaurants closed.

The Crane pizza restaurant now open again I see. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hooked on Henry St closed due to a staff member being a close contact of a known case. The staff member was not in contact with any other staff or the public but they've decided to close anyway. As per their social media.

• Advertisement

The staff member was a confirmed case themselves. But they weren't at work during the incubation period so it's just a cautious closure. Fair play.

Advertisement