Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

LostDuck wrote: »
    The staff member was a confirmed case themselves. But they weren't at work during the incubation period so it's just a cautious closure. Fair play.

Ah ya that's it, was getting mixed up with the Taylor's one I think.

Word going around of a major outbreak in Galway now. I’ve heard suggestions of where but until I see confirmation I won’t be saying what I’ve heard.

Was only a matter of time with the lax attitude and back patting about “how great we are doing”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've heard of a few staff from an establishment that has closed over the weekend testing positive.

They mentioned on the news tonight that wearing visors was not adequate for preventing transmission. We should ask that shop and restaurant staff wear masks where possible.

He doesn't deserve the views, but it's unbelievable that anyone would be so ignorant and waste the guards time like this.
    Happened on the Renmore bus.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/09/07/seeking-cover-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've heard of a few staff from an establishment that has closed over the weekend testing positive.

We can expect this to happen occasionally for months, if not years, to come. It's simply part of living with the disease.

Even now, schools are occasionally closed due to a measles outbreak.

That said, I wouldn't be believing too many
    Galway Rumours. Far too many nasty BS whisperers around. Stick to official announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭gifted

Word going around of a major outbreak in Galway now. I’ve heard suggestions of where but until I see confirmation I won’t be saying what I’ve heard.

Was only a matter of time with the lax attitude and back patting about “how great we are doing”.

Just seen a hse letter expressing concern about a particular area in galway......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He doesn't deserve the views, but it's unbelievable that anyone would be so ignorant and waste the guards time like this.
    Happened on the Renmore bus.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/09/07/seeking-cover-2/

He sounds like an absolute knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They mentioned on the news tonight that wearing visors was not adequate for preventing transmission. We should ask that shop and restaurant staff wear masks where possible.

Another thought: masks help, but they are also inadequate. The only real way to prevent transmission is to keep a large distance.

Masks are for times when this just isn't possible. They totally fail if you touch them and don't clean your hands afterwards, or if they don't have a reasonable seal. Wear them for sure - but don't treat them like magic, cos they ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

GPs alerted to COVID 19 clusters in Oranmore to Renmore
    The Department of Public Health is investigating the outbreaks which, it’s understood, have geographical links with Oranmore village.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Another thought: masks help, but they are also inadequate. The only real way to prevent transmission is to keep a large distance.

Masks are for times when this just isn't possible. They totally fail if you touch them and don't clean your hands afterwards, or if they don't have a reasonable seal. Wear them for sure - but don't treat them like magic, cos they ain't.

Thank God we have a health expert like you on here to tell us what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

LostDuck wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that?

2 preschools one in renmore and one in oranmore have been identified as a cluster

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Feck, been working non-stop for a week now and wanted to go for a pint and bit of food since I don't have another day off for a bit (missus gone to work too) and now I see this and deciding against going now.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going into Eyre Square now

Official letter doing the rounds now, posted in the schools opening thread in the covid forum that looks to confirm there is a cluster in renmore/oranmore area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Feck, been working non-stop for a week now and wanted to go for a pint and bit of food since I don't have another day off for a bit (missus gone to work too) and now I see this and deciding against going now.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going into Eyre Square now

in fairness its great to see everyone wearing masks when in town but mrs o bumble has a point, last couple of times in the town and its jam packed, streets as we know arnt the widest, wearing a mask doesnt stop the virus we need to keep distance.

Whilst shops will do what they can to ensure a safe(ish) shopping experience its up to the general public to be vigilant and act accordingly when in the streets.

Right now its just not comfortable walking up a packed st with or without a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

owlbethere wrote: »
    I found out. There's a cluster of cases around oranmore. I dont know from what.

So long as everyone in Galway does their bit and follow the guidelines on
    - social distancing
    - keep close contacts low
    - isolate if you feel unwell
    - practising good cough and sneeze etiquette
    - practicing good hand hygiene

Hopefully Galway can get out from this small cluster without it rising further.

If it's related to schools, hopefully it means the chances of people being badly hit with it will be low. Oranmore is such a small place too, hopefully the news of this will make people be very cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,175 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Where is not geographically linked to Oranmore? :rolleyes:

pZacoWg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Any of the rest of you guessing the daily cases at home? A sign of restrictions insanity creeping in perhaps... (we don't get out much).

Very big weekend numbers, I'm guessing 280 cases today but fingers cross it's not that bad.

Cabinet agrees to allow all pubs to re-open on Sept 21st

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Cabinet agrees to allow all pubs to re-open on Sept 21st

Its closing the places that are open they should be not planning to open more.

I can't see it happen, we could be well on our way to another lockdown by 21st sept the way things are going currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Oranmore is such a small place too..

Far from it...

• Advertisement

Its closing the places that are open they should be not planning to open more.

I can't see it happen, we could be well on our way to another lockdown by 21st sept the way things are going currently.

God dam it I thought you were gone but your back again with more doom and gloom please go away.

It is Oranmore to Renmore.

From Galway advertiser Facebook.

#LOCALNEWS GPs in Galway have been told that the Department of Health is currently investigating a number of clusters of Covid19 cases in the Renmore/Oranmore area and with geographical links to Oranmore village. They say they have yet to identify a common source between these clusters and that investigation and contract tracing is ongoing. It has asked GPs to have a high level of suspicion for possible cases including atypical presentation such as sore throat or runny nose and a low threshold for onward referral for testing.

I think we can assume it's around the city now. 2 places closed in town and cases in Renmore means those people and their contacts will be city based, using the same shops, facilities and transport. We all should be extra careful now and not assume this is confined to any area.

One bizarre thing is that "a runny nose" is now cause for suspicion.
    Last week everyone was told they should send their kids to school with a runny nose and ignore it as its not a potential symptom.

God dam it I thought you were gone but your back again with more doom and gloom please go away.

We are all entitled to our opinion. Making someone feel uncomfortable and unwelcome for posting is really unpleasant to see. Argue the point and not the person if you want, this sort of thing comes off like bullying.

It's not doom and gloom its reality. We are in the middle of a pandemic people need to realise that. Galway's "getting away with it" looks to be coming to an end. We all have loved ones to protect.

Why would anyone risk going to a pub even if they were open, I haven't even eaten in a restaurant since early march as we made the decision that it wasn't safe enough and now things are getting worse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

308 cases today - 181 in Dublin

(Courtesy of the Merchant)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It is Oranmore to Renmore.

From Galway advertiser Facebook.

I think we can assume it's around the city now. 2 places closed in town and cases in Renmore means those people and their contacts will be city based, using the same shops, facilities and transport. We all should be extra careful now and not assume this is confined to any area.

One bizarre thing is that "a runny nose" is now cause for suspicion.
    Last week everyone was told they should send their kids to school with a runny nose and ignore it as its not a potential symptom.

Yeh the runny nose bit is completely contrary to the advice last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

skinny90 wrote: »
    2 preschools one in renmore and one in oranmore have been identified as a cluster

Where do you hear that? (About it being preschools specifically)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

What/who is the Merchant?

• Advertisement

The merchant? What is that?

Advertisement