Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

There's no limit set on numbers for retail, just face coverings and protective measures. I suppose with retail people typically aren't hanging around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Laviski wrote: »
    well you could say the same for Ikea, went in there recently and easily 600-700 people inside with a further 500 queuing.
    Limit indoors 50/100?????

how is that allowed?

Where's the IKEA in Galway? Are the delivery costs less than if I was ordering from the Dublin one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where's the IKEA in Galway?

It's a couple of hours down the M6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The HSE could easily say if you were in pub X between y time and date you maybe a close contact to a positive case. I can't see what patient confidentiality issues arise here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The HSE could easily say if you were in pub X between y time and date you maybe a close contact to a positive case. I can't see what patient confidentiality issues arise here

I think they're not going to do that because they know staff tested positive and were known to be positive by the time the pub closed. The truth is everyone who was there over the few days before the closed needs to have been mindful. Of the 6 people I know who tested positive after being there all were asymptomatic.

It is highly transmissible. The idea that 6 of a party of 6 being positive after 90 mins together is very surprising but I know for a fact that happened. I've never heard of it with a flu etc. Staff will have passed it on more than we know.

• Advertisement

Interesting and concerning point from the news conference currently ongoing...

Dr Ronan Glynn has just said that a result that is not positive for Covid is NOT a negative test, it is "Covid not detected" which does not mean you do not have Covid.
    Even if you receive a "not detected" test result you are asked to isolate for 48 hours after a complete resolution of your symptoms.

This idea of false negative tallies with stories I've heard from nurses in UCHG who say they've had patients have illness that follows a distinct covid trajectory but who do not test positive.

Staff will have passed it on more than we know.

Probably depends on the ventilation though. Most times I'm in a pub, I have far more contact with other customers than with the staff.

6 cases in Galway this evening.

That's true Mrs O'Bumble, I guess my point was that if staff are ill there's no point saying what time infected patrons were on the premises.

6 cases in Galway this evening.

+4 others revealed in the county numbers from a day earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

1000 house parties reported in galway over last 6 months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

1000 house parties reported in galway over last 6 months...

Reported where? Any link so we can read about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

1000 in city tribune

1000 in city tribune

Ah - the Advertiser says its 600 between July and August whereas the Tribune puts it at 1,000 between March to Sept.

It really is madness that that guards have not been given strong powers to deal with house parties. It’s badly needed, especially in Dublin.

They should have been given the power to enter, break up and fine everyone attending any house party. That would soon soften the cough of those who simply refuse to cop on and follow the guidelines to stop the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

1000 house parties... and I wasn't invited to one of them :(

It really is madness that that guards have not been given strong powers to deal with house parties. It’s badly needed, especially in Dublin.

They should have been given the power to enter, break up and fine everyone attending any house party. That would soon soften the cough of those who simply refuse to cop on and follow the guidelines to stop the spread of the virus.

Do you want to rewind to only a handful of weeks ago when the Govt floated such laws and they were (rightly) subject to a huge amount of backlash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Do you want to rewind to only a handful of weeks ago when the Govt floated such laws and they were (rightly) subject to a huge amount of backlash?

Backlash that should have been ignored. They should have introduced the rules and not pandered to fools who just want to keep doing things that are spreading the virus.

• Advertisement

That's a big jump for Galway today. :-/

JoeA3 wrote: »
    1000 house parties... and I wasn't invited to one of them :(

600 to 1000 complaints.

If there were an average of 3 complaints per party, that's 200 - 333 parties.

(I'm assuming that the guards wouldn't bother with anything which got less than 3 complaints.)

Agree it's a big jump today. Every case I've heard about is associated with a creche. Should we close them????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,785 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The first breakdown of detected Covid19 figures by local electoral areas show nationwide incidence rate average of 53 per 100k people
    https://connachttribune.ie/connemara-south-has-highest-incidence-rate-of-covid-19-in-galway/
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
    Connemara South has rate of 56,
    Tuam at 36,
    Galway City Centre at 26,
    Galway City East is at 19,
    Oranmore-Athenry is at 15,
    Connemara North, Loughrea, Gort-Kinvara, Ballinasloe less than 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

zell12 wrote: »
    The first breakdown of detected Covid19 figures by local electoral areas show nationwide incidence rate average of 53 per 100k people
    https://connachttribune.ie/connemara-south-has-highest-incidence-rate-of-covid-19-in-galway/
    https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Connemara south numbers ..would this be the staycation aftermath?

He doesn't deserve the views, but it's unbelievable that anyone would be so ignorant and waste the guards time like this.
    Happened on the Renmore bus.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/09/07/seeking-cover-2/
    The same guy in March:

'He tried to spit at the officers repeatedly while they were restraining him and yelled “I’m going to kill you and your family”. Garda Hann told the District Court that he also yelled “I have 19 previous convictions” at the officers.'

https://www.galwaydaily.com/courts/bench-warrant-issued-for-man-who-drunkenly-threatened-garda-and-his-family/

Same guy and his friends had a wee march in Galway today. https://twitter.com/TommyRoddy/status/1307335049675714562

Another pub closed temporarily due to "contact with a confirmed case", Salthill this time.
    O'Reillys Bar and Kitchen
    tSS6pohngesored ·
    Dear customers,
    One of our staff members has been in close contact with a confirmed case of Covid 19. For the safety of our staff and customers we have decided to voluntarily close for a couple of days while we have our staff tested. We will reopen when it is safe to do so. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
    Stay safe and see you soon.

12 cases in Galway today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Storm 10

12 cases in Galway today.

12 cases in Galway and County there might be none in the City could all be in the County

Storm 10 wrote: »
    12 cases in Galway and County there might be none in the City could all be in the County

When I said Galway I obviously meant the county, Mr Pedantic. County boundaries have been used to divide cases by region since March.

• Advertisement

2 additional cases in the county breakdown.
    Storm 10 wrote: »

And they might all be in the city....
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advertisement