Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is a run on the banks coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Italy whole country lockdown:
    Signed now, in effect midnight.
    "The decree provides for banning all public events, closing cinemas, theatres, gyms, discos and pubs, funerals, weddings and all sport events, including Serie A matches. All schools and universities will remain close until 3 April"
    The restrictions will include banning all public gatherings and preventing all movement other than for work and emergencies. According to the Reuters news agency, he has said the decision was necessary to protect Italy’s most vulnerable citizens and that the right course of action now is for people to stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Demonique wrote: »
    If the government can afford to increase sickness pay, then they can afford to reverse the cuts to disability related payments

It's only temporary measure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Obviously, democratic countries' measures for dealing with the virus are less restrictive than those measures taken in China. Did the Chinese government deliberately let the outbreak escalate into what is more than likely to be a pandemic? If the Western powers are destabilised ......

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Miike wrote: »
    As I mentioned last night for up-to-date areas considered high risk areas or areas with sustained community transmission can be found via the WHO SitReps.

The ECDC has deferred to the WHO on this topic also because they are better placed to track this information :)

As it currently stands the HSE's list of affected areas is woefully outdated but it's also not the list the health service is taking direction from.

Also, I want to apologise for being narky in my previous post. I'm sincerely sorry. It's been quite a long day!

Ignore everything from those liars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Irish deposits are guaranteed by the Irish state I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If the government can afford to increase sickness pay, then they can afford to reverse the cuts to disability related payments

Yep, great time to think of yourself.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

And we let plane loads of them in last week :confused:

They are still coming in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

A drastic a measure as it is, it should have been done from the start when cases kept jumping, there was a lot to be learned from the chinese there
    23 February: Italy had done 3000 tests and found 132 positive cases
    Lockdown starts for the epicentres, population 50000 people, with police and army check points

4 March: approx 2700 positives - Italy closes schools and universities

France plus Germany plus Span today have 3800 cases and still no lockdown of their epicentres, no social distancing, def not learning from China and Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

statesaver wrote: »
    This in Ireland ?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Miike wrote: »
    Keeping with the rules of this thread - I'm not going to tell you where I work or my credentials, areas of study or anything like that. I'm just another person posting online and you should take my posts with the same weight as anyone on here citing reputable sources :)

Also I'm just as baffled as to why the HSE webpage is so horrifically outdated at this point. I've actually flagged this with HSELive as this is the website being pushed by the HSE/DOH/MSM for key public information.

Fair play. It was last updated 4 days ago. But was out of date even then.

Best of luck with what's coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Some more information on Italy's country-wide lockdown:

The whole country will face the most draconian restrictions on people's movements since the Second World War.

The Prime Minister is extending restriction on travel from the north to cover the entire country to try to stop the spread of coronavirus.

All public gatherings are banned and schools and universities will be closed until April 3.

The new measures will be enforced from tomorrow morning.

Italy is the worst-hit nation in Europe with 463 virus-related deaths, an increase of almost 100 in a 24-hour period, and more than 9,000 confirmed infections.

Around 60 million people will now effectively be placed under quarantine by the strict measures which had already been introduced in northern and some central areas over the weekend.

Murple wrote: »
    The UK has their first confirmed cases on the 31st of January. It was the 28th of February by the time they had 21 cases. Within 10 days , 21 cases has gone to over 200 with 5 deaths.
    We had our first confirmed case on the 1st of March I think. We have 21 cases a week later. I don’t think we have any cause to think we may get off lightly.

Is population density a factor in mitigating spread? England’s average is 426 per sq km. Irelands is 70, as low as 32 in the west.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All pubs closed!
    What about cafes and restaurants?

Must be like beast from the east but for weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

This is another myth.

American presidents regularly meets foreign leaders all the time.

America is a diverse nation with numerous ethnic groups. America will regularly reflect on these traditions. St Patrick's is just one of them.

Can you name any other country of our size whose leader has a guaranteed annual meeting with the President of the United States?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    "The decree provides for banning all public events, closing cinemas, theatres, gyms, discos and pubs, funerals, weddings and all sport events, including Serie A matches. All schools and universities will remain close until 3 April"
    The restrictions will include banning all public gatherings and preventing all movement other than for work and emergencies. According to the Reuters news agency, he has said the decision was necessary to protect Italy’s most vulnerable citizens and that the right course of action now is for people to stay at home.

Right course of action is for people to stay at home... Preventing movement other than for work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

First I've heard of it.

Here be enlightened

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1237117165809086464?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's in every country in Europe now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems sensible : I'd hazard a guess 20k there are infected (much higher than anywhere else in Europe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is this total lockdown in Italy going to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

namloc1980 wrote: »
    3 airborne flights from Italy landing in Dublin tonight.

It would really be something if they weren't airborne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see something like this. It's like a far fetched Hollywood disaster movie.

Gotta be thankful for no Zombies I guess (excluding Governments)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All because some idiot ate a bat??

The Chinese government need to compensate the rest of the world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Very hard to believe this is actually happening. Its very frightening to hear the government state such huge numbers of likely fatalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Italy's lockdown (or sorts) and 1,800 cases on one day, is only the tip of the iceberg.
    If you (unwisely) haven't made provision for this SHTF event, do so now.

However only shop at off-peak times, to prevent any rush.
    It's still safe to go out and about as normal (for the next week or two, maybe even three).

After that, only essential travel may be acceptable.
    After that, assume there may be some temporary curfews and more sever travel restrictions.

On the plus side, be thankful Ire has fairly low population density, and a good sense of community.
    Get to know your neighbours, have their phone numbers at hand, consider establishing neighbourhood watch schemes (if not already).
    Many folks have relations out in the countryside, this is the best place to be towards peak conditions in 10-12wks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

And all over a single tuppence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Very hard to believe this is actually happening. Its very frightening to hear the government state such huge numbers of likely fatalities.

That's pure hyperbole.

That won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Gael23 wrote: »

Yes. It's the only way to curtail this. Its worked in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Seriously? Not having a go at your point as such but do you not see what's potentially on the horizon for us all? The money about to be thrown at this is going to be vast and it won't be free. We'll be paying for it for a long time after, and everyone will suffer the economic effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

This is without a doubt the biggest curtailing of civil liberties in Europe since the beginning of the postwar period. The historical significance of this evening's decree will be discussed decades, maybe centuries from now. We are witnessing history in the making, folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Ninthlife wrote: »
    We are really witnessing historical events

current affairs really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Patient who has it going to be talking on RTE News about it after the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Gael23 wrote: »

No, because it is not a full lockdown if people are allowed go to work. And unlike China, enough people in Italy will not listen to the Government so the lockdown will be futile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

As much as I sympathise (and BELIEVE ME, I do), the funds for this may have to be found through loans. It's not like finding money to replace the doors or the windows of a house, this is money that needs to be found immediately because the roof of the house has caught fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Right course of action is for people to stay at home... Preventing movement other than for work?
    "Mr Conte said a new government decree will require all people in Italy to demonstrate a need to work, health conditions or other limited reasons to travel outside the areas where they live. “There won’t be just a red zone,” he told reporters, referring to a lockdown of areas in northern Italy instituted over the weekend. “There will be Italy” as a protected area, he said."
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-whole-of-italy-to-be-put-on-lockdown-pm-announces-1.4197780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

All because some idiot ate a bat??

The Chinese government need to compensate the rest of the world!!!

I hate the Chinese government but there is zero evidence this came from some idiot eating a bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Those with social phobia and agoraphobia will not be made overly unhappy by the upcoming restrictions of movement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Which disability related payments do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That's pure hyperbole.

That won't happen.

Just the flu again, huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stop the world and let me off

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, because it is not a full lockdown if people are allowed go to work. And unlike China, enough people in Italy will not listen to the Government so the lockdown will be futile.

This was before the full lockdown. And if they involve the army with roadblocks and checkpoints, they may have to comply. I wouldn't exclude rioting, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Is population density a factor in mitigating spread? England’s average is 426 per sq km. Irelands is 70, as low as 32 in the west.

Well, you're unlikely to get infected standing in the middle of a field on your own all day.

Having said that, instinctively, I'd say that the average Irish person interacts with a similar amount of people to a British person an a regular day, so population density wouldn't make much of a difference. The exception being London commuters on the tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

splinter65 wrote: »
    Which disability related payments do you mean?

Disability allowance, disability benefit, blind pension, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Can you name any other country of our size whose leader has a guaranteed annual meeting with the President of the United States?

I just don't think a 30 minute meeting is that important. It is common for successive US presidents not to even know who the Irish "prime minister" even is. It's embarrassing for us.

I have no doubt that if this meeting stopped, it would have absolutely zero consequences for anyone. It will save the state money.

It's also interesting that the same people who criticise Trump the most are the ones who support this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

When you turn the map of Italy upside down it's almost unrecognisable and the angle of the leg is surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ninthlife wrote: »
    We are really witnessing historical events

Historic certainly. Not historical for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm sorted

pile-of-toilet-paper-315x180.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Germany, Spain &, France will be watching Italy closely yo see if this has a positive impact

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement