Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think we should all expect certain restrictions WILL come into place very soon.
    From area 'lockdowns' to schools closing, these have to be expected. Probably within days.
    Best to have in place backups and knowing if you can work from home / have someone mind kids and what you can do to limit your movement if needed.

Pay the price now or pay a much bigger price later.

jarvis wrote: »
    Why did we get a report about the Apple case in cork around noon instead of at the evening update does anyone know? Sorry if I’ve missed it.

I suppose its to give everyone else who works there the heads-up, so they can get checked, and also inform all their families and close associates that they may also need checking. Time means everything here, so if they were to wait another 6 hours to make the announcement many more people could become infected.

Its like trying to keep the tide out with a fork at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I presume you're from Carlow. I've a friend 2 miles outside the town in quarantine.

Yes from Carlow. Haven't heard any reports of anyone around here with it, not even gossip. Is your friend in quarantine as a precautionary measure?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

How long is that? After the easter holidays?

Lectures finished for the summer. interesting to see what happens with exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why did we get a report about the Apple case in cork around noon instead of at the evening update does anyone know? Sorry if I’ve missed it.
    That's from Apple themselves not the DoH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You absolutely KNOW that they would be still flying if they were getting enough passengers.

The routes must no longer be profitable.

Did they even disinfect the planes after the previous flights? Ask a stupid question.

Unlikely.
    They continued to put their own staff, passengers and those on the ground at risk. Highly irresponsible.

Spreading CV was always going to undermine the rest of their business. The more infections in places like Ireland, the less people will travel here.

They scored a massive own goal and because they delayed taking action they put the whole airline industry at risk throughout Europe. Foolish to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

New Home wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the BBC series "Survivors" from the mid/late '70s? :/

It was remade in about 2008. Very good series too.....about 99% of the world's population is wiped out rapidly by a virus but 1% are immune and come through it safe and sound.

As the series title suggests, they try to adapt to a Britain where government and society has collapsed and even basic things like electricity and radio are no longer working.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I think we should all expect certain restrictions WILL come into place very soon.
    From area 'lockdowns' to schools closing, these have to be expected. Probably within days.
    Best to have in place backups and knowing if you can work from home / have someone mind kids and what you can do to limit your movement if needed.

Pay the price now or pay a much bigger price later.

Restrict anyone who has traveled to Cheltenham from re-entering the country for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

quokula wrote: »
    The numbers look the same in the carefully selected countries that look like that. Look at the graph for Vietnam or Singapore or Taiwan, they look pretty similar to Ireland.

Look into the measures these countries are taking, particularly Singapore and Taiwan.

They have travel bans from affect countries and strong quarantines in place before we even had travel advisories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes. Watched it through twice. It is brilliant and certainly relevant although that was a more immediate and dramatic plague.

Maybe will watch it again.. Highlights all the expected problems when society breaks down because of a plague with the usual BBC verve and accuracy although the ending was very iffy and out of character and a let down,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Father in law works in a hospital in Galway, he said hand sanitiser is being robbed left, right and centre.

Yup and some cvnt robbed masks from St Luke's cancer hospital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

quokula wrote: »
    Yep the government have done everything right so far, the number of cases is low and barely growing, it's still looking pretty promising that it won't spread very much in Ireland.

Unless strict restrictions on the movement of people are introduced and more importantly enforced it will. Dangerous to believe otherwise. Also I don`t accept that the government have done everything right. Up until yesterday they were still going to allow the Patrick`s Day parades to go ahead FFS. It took the dose of reality they got from the health briefing to get them to start treating this with the seriousness that is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Unlikely.
    They continued to put their own staff, passengers and those on the ground at risk. Highly irresponsible.

Spreading CV was always going to undermine the rest of their business. The more infections in places like Ireland, the less people will travel here.

They scored a massive own goal and because they delayed taking action they put the whole airline industry at risk throughout Europe. Foolish to say the least.

What's your gripe with Ryanair? Serious question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ipso wrote: »
    Yeah. No one is disputing that, if it’s managed and doesn’t spread as fast then it doesn’t go up as fast.
    You just can’t say there’s more cases, should we abandon official counts and just have them say there’s a lot of it out there?

I'm not even looking at numbers. All numbers are going up around the world
    Only looking at trends. We are on a slow but sure road to an outbreak here because that is the case everywhere in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Any good novels that have most of the world getting wiped out by a superbug as the premise?

Obviously The Stand is one - any other good ones?

Lectures finished for the summer. interesting to see what happens with exams

Fooook... Whats the story for lecturers and staff I wonder?

Look into the measures these countries are taking, particularly Singapore and Taiwan.

They have travel bans from affect countries and strong quarantines in place before we even had travel advisories.

Exaclty! very good point
    We are comparing Ireland with virtually no restrictions in place to countries that have basically been locked down for a month due to proximity with China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Coveney said this morning they will be discussing and issuing advice on "gatherings".

Rumours all over the place they are going to pull the trigger on the schools Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And some also still thinking we won't follow the Italian scale of spread, or the increases seen in every other country. Always the way, unless and until it actually infects them, they won't believe it and criticise anyone who says otherwise.

"Ireland is different" don't you know...

What happened here the last time people parroted that line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Apparently there are 2 new cases in the east

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Boggles wrote: »
    Coveney said this morning they will be discussing and issuing advice on "gatherings".

Rumours all over the place they are going to pull the trigger on the schools Monday.

I've reached the point now where I believe there's going to be an Italian style lock down (not an utter lock down but one on social life and unnessecary gatherings) and wish they'd pull the trigger now.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

A lot people wondering 'will we get as bad as Italy?' don't seem to realise that Italy will be drastically worse off in 10 days time. They are likely to have at least double the cases that they do now and they are already practically out of hospital beds as it is, so the death rate is going to climb in active cases.

The next question then for Italy is whether the containment measures slow to spread to an R < 1, even if the R drops to 0.5 the level of infection will mean that a substantial daily case volume will be sustained for several months. It is an absolute nightmare and we should avoid it like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Any talks for universal basic income

It was 5G and Bill Gates the whole time. Jim Corr has fully lost the plot

2bgIaJ5.png

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

That's a good start. Italy closed schools about one week before the actual lock down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Apparently there are 2 new cases in the east

so? assume we're not going to track each and every new case - there are going to be loads more, just need to accept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Is the email different to what's reported in the news?
    Yes.

505189.jpg
    Significant

They have made an absolute cock-up of this, I'm sorry to say. Can we act unilaterally yet or is it still business as usual, jetting off for a few München brewskies?
    Cork are acting "unilaterally" and going over the head of the HSE. We saw it first at CUH (not just "a man in the South of Ireland" but a patient at CUH) because from a health standpoint it's irresponsible not to warn people that they may have had contact (like the doctor in Clare). Then The Bons private hospital made the announcement themselves, probably for the very same reason, as a private hospital with a litany of settlements they've had to pay people due to negligence and other issues (Google "Bons Secours court settlements). Apple, I know two bosses there and I haven't spoken to them in a while but the kind of people they are, I know that their attitude would be "I am in my f*ck risking that". It doesn't explain why only some divisions of Apple are closed, but I guess "best practice" is having to be adhered to at the moment. It could wind up being something that puts employees hugely at risk, but I hope it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

**** is really hitting the fan now. Sport events cancelled or behind closed door everywhere, schools closing, airlines stopping routes and everyone asked to work from home.

It’s all a bit surreal really and I’m supposed to fly back to Ireland with our baby for the first time in 3 weeks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Gaspode wrote:
    I assume there are bathrooms? Wash your hands with soap and water, what's the biggie?

Actually there wasn't any public toilets on the floor I was on. If you have to take a detour people won't bother. The Costa down the road wouldn't let you through the door without hand sanitizing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Any good novels that have most of the world getting wiped out by a superbug as the premise?

The opening chapters of the Stand detailing the spread are absolutely sensational. Chilling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Unlikely.

Were ryanair the only airline operating out of Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    This isn't really the point though. He's a potential carrier and has been going around for 10 days potentially infecting others. That's why we need the test results. Self-isolation without test is l well and good if you've just arrived from Italy, not so much if you've been back for weeks.

Fair enough. Anyone come down with flu or coronavirus symptoms should now self isolate. Anyone with influenza shouldn't be at work anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Earth Abides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yes.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=505189&d=1583845037]
    Significant

They have made an absolute cock-up of this, I'm sorry to say. Can we act unilaterally yet or is it still business as usual, jetting off for a few München brewskies?

I haven't decided yet, it will depend on what happens and what advices are issued over the coming days, I do suspect I will not be travelling though if it helps.

Find any posts to back up your false claim yet btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It was 5G and Bill Gates the whole time. Jim Corr has fully lost the plot

My favourite by far is that Bill Gates is some kind of Mr Burns style villain trying to block out the sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

**** is really hitting the fan now. Sport events cancelled or behind closed door everywhere, schools closing, airlines stopping routes and everyone asked to work from home.

It’s all a bit surreal really and I’m supposed to fly back to Ireland with our baby for the first time in 3 weeks!!!

Deep breath now, 3 weeks is a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

New measure in France:
    Local elections are going ahead but Interior minister tells voters to bring their own pen
    https://www.bfmtv.com/politique/pour-eviter-le-coronavirus-ramenez-votre-propre-stylo-castaner-devoile-ses-instructions-pour-les-municipales-1872531.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I do. Great watch. It's all on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

As an aside - I can't believe there's only 56 cases declared in India. Covid-19 was first confirmed there on Jan 30th. With a population of 1.3billion and a large proportion of the them in squalid living conditions I'd expect it to be a hotbed for spread of this virus.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

is_that_so wrote: »
    Deep breath now, 3 weeks is a long time!

Not really, though. Can't see it getting any better in 3 weeks, only worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes.

505189.jpg
    Significant

Cork are acting "unilaterally" and going over the head of the HSE. We saw it first at CUH (not just "a man in the South of Ireland" but a patient at CUH) because from a health standpoint it's irresponsible not to warn people that they may have had contact (like the doctor in Clare). Then The Bons private hospital made the announcement themselves, probably for the very same reason, as a private hospital with a litany of settlements they've had to pay people due to negligence and other issues (Google "Bons Secours court settlements). Apple, I know two bosses there and I haven't spoken to them in a while but the kind of people they are, I know that their attitude would be "I am in my f*ck risking that". It doesn't explain why only some divisions of Apple are closed, but I guess "best practice" is having to be adhered to at the moment. It could wind up being something that puts employees hugely at risk, but I hope it isn't.

Cork as usual leading the way here. As Kington Mills said on radio today it makes common sense to stop importing cases from hot spots too. This is going to change our ways the like of which we can't even imagine yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

"
    Station eleven" no zombies or even that much fighting, but I really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Cw85 wrote: »
    Yes from Carlow. Haven't heard any reports of anyone around here with it, not even gossip. Is your friend in quarantine as a precautionary measure?

They are. Tested this morning. I'm being truthful and don't want to be alarming. Male mid 40s a job that entails traveling within Ireland a lot. If we get 2 or 3 more days of small increase I'd be getting more optimistic. I just don't think we can be too sure yet. I feel we still have a lot of cases in the incubation stage.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

D.Q wrote: »
    The opening chapters of the Stand detailing the spread are absolutely sensational. Chilling stuff.

I have never read this novel but have ordered it from Amazon today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yup and some cvnt robbed masks from St Luke's cancer hospital.

That's good.
    I was thinking that only in Italy certain things could happen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

I haven't engaged with the scaremongering and have been carrying on going to work etc as normal but plenty of handwashing etc. I am concerned over Cheltenham though. Hundreds of Irish people heading over for the week and coming straight back without screening :eek:
    Gold Cup day on Friday and the pubs here will be packed. Punters running between the bookies and the pubs - can't see a lot of handwashing/sanitizing being carried out that day. I'm going to have to hose my OH down before allowing him back into the house on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

North, South, East, West - and there was I believing we were citizens, not subjects. Those paid by us to administer the country on our behalf believe that they have some divine right to treat us as mushrooms - keep in dark and apply ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Christy42

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Exaclty! very good point
    We are comparing Ireland with virtually no restrictions in place to countries that have basically been locked down for a month due to proximity with China

I mean Singapore have 160 cases and q population similar to our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Strazdas wrote: »
    No two countries are alike.

Ireland is not Bologna or Wuhan - there can be all sorts of environmental reasons why a virus might transmit quickly in one region but not in another.

Like what? Why is Ireland different?

Are we magic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement